Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 598 55.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 487 44.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

mav_9me

Maybe that's a problem with you then? The results are not the issue. The performances are. All of these were performances with no backbone once things started going against us. Sure it's all good when teams give us enough space for Antony to do his fancy stuff, but when bullied, we just roll over and hope for the 90 minute whistle. The manager surely has to take some responsibility for that. Take a look at Klopp's first Liverpool team. It was a crap team and they were losing quite a bit, but the effort was not once in question.
I don't deny that. That's why you'll see I don't disagree that they are humiliating. I don't think so, but I can see why people do. That's definitely on ETH.

Josep Dowling

We hear this every summer and it never happens. No one wants to buy our overpaid average players. Players won’t move because they earn double what they should be on. It’s a stalemate until their contracts run out. Because United are run by morons that hand out long terms contract we are left in an impossible position to transition the squad quick enough.

Semigoodlookin

Yep. And how people overlook that is astonishing.
"We didn't turn up" is a phrase which players used a lot this season. That means that mental match preparation isn't good.

Croatia NT has average manager in Dalic. Manager who is levels and levels bellow ETH (who is tactically very good manager).
But Dalic knows his stuff about motivation. That is on which ETH must work. The way how we lose big games is completely unacceptable.
But the Croatia team is built of mentally strong players. Do you think ETH doesn't prepare them for the mental challenges of playing somewhere like Sevilla? The problem is you cannot instil mental fortitude in players who don't have it. There are players in the squad who have proven they struggle in high-pressure games. If the person doesn't have it in them, there is no bringing it out. It has nothing to do with motivating a bad player like Dalic does with some of his squad.

Although, like I said in a previous post, Ten Hag does make mistakes. For example, I think coming out to try and outplay Sevilla from minute one was a mistake last night. The team should have won the physical battle first.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Like I said yesterday - he’ll be judged on how ruthless he is this summer. I have no doubt he will be ruthless.
I am not so sure. We will not buy 10 new players. So he will need to decide whether to go with shorter squad with kids as backup for some players or having depth. Based on this season.......i am afraid that he will choose depth which will mean that lots of deadwood will stay. Lets not forget that (by the rumours) he was the one who blocked transfers for Ronaldo, Harry, McT and Elanga for example. Because of depth.

Also, is there anybody here who believes that Murtough can sell all those players in one window? Guy sold one player last summer.

Xaviboy

Maybe he might spend big money on 4 players and then gets 2/3 in that are free agents.

Surely there is a few free agents this summer available that replaces some of the players he wants to shift on and improves the squad depth straight away.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I'll take it with a pinch of salt. Just the other day, there were tweets that he wants to keep Martial and offer him a new contract. It seems that the journos are making it up as they go. Wouldn't be surprised, if the club deliberately forwards this stuff as inside knowledge via some journalists to allow the fans to blow off some steam, either. The last time an employee of this club spoke openly about these matters, we never heard anything from him again.

ExecutionerWasp001

Won't criticize ETH yet. He's done a fine job this season and as long as we can get third with a trophy in his first season. It's a pretty good one.

Given the lemons he's been handed, he's made decent lemonade of it
We are incredibly fortunate that Liverpool, Spurs & Chelsea are all having poor seasons.

He's taken some baffling approaches to some games this season. Yesterday was the worst of the lot. He knows these players now. With a CB pairing of Maguire & Lindelof & DeGea in goal he should know that the ball needs to be kept away from them as much as possible. It's complete stupidity to direct these players to pass it around between themselves, especially so against a pressing team.

I'm already sick of hearing his ''it's a lesson we take it'' comments. Going into a game trying to play possession football with 2 dud CB'S & a GK who's crap with his feet indicates he isn't learning anything. Rangnick get's alot of stick on here & rightly so. He did though learn early on that he couldn't get these same defenders to play football as they don't have the sufficient talents. If the ball went to DeGea he kicked it long straight away.

Baneofthegame

Exactly, which makes this narrative of "miracle" a joke imo. Arteta has gone from 5th to challenging for the title, Eddie Howe, Unai Emry, Gary Oneil, have all done jobs this season which could be comparable to EtH.

When 4/5 managers are doing something, its not a miracle. You name those players, can you imagine the outrage if EtH had any of those?

I keep hearing.. oh whats he meant to do with Maguire, McTominay... when other clubs manage with average players to put up fighting performances.
I guess we forget about Arteta finishing 8th the two previous seasons?

Baneofthegame

We are incredibly fortunate that Liverpool, Spurs & Chelsea are all having poor seasons.

He's taken some baffling approaches to some games this season. Yesterday was the worst of the lot. He knows these players now. With a CB pairing of Maguire & Lindelof & DeGea in goal he should know that the ball needs to be kept away from them as much as possible. It's complete stupidity to direct these players to pass it around between themselves, especially so against a pressing team.

I'm already sick of hearing his ''it's a lesson we take it'' comments. Going into a game trying to play possession football with 2 dud CB'S & a GK who's crap with his feet indicates he isn't learning anything. Rangnick get's alot of stick on here & rightly so. He did though learn early on that he couldn't get these same defenders to play football as they don't have the sufficient talents. If the ball went to DeGea he kicked it long straight away.
So we should just concede possession every time? Who's winning these long balls? Maybe ETH should plan for our players not putting in any effort and gifting goals away.

Paddymcc

Whilst the manager has made mistakes along his journey, he is still learning and you can see a definite improvement in the team when the majority of his signings are on the pitch.

Like many commentators have stated in the past this squad, and by that i mean the hangover from Ole, Mourinho, Van Gaal and Sir Alex this squad will let you down.

romufc

Whilst impressive, the bottom 10 in the league are complete trash. And Emery is a bloody good manager.

Also we picked up 58 points in the entirety of last season and have eclipsed that tally with 8 games left.
I guess we forget about Arteta finishing 8th the two previous seasons?
So what its a miracle to get 58 points in 30 games?

I agree that Ten Hag has done a very good job but its no way a miracle. That is what I am disputing with posters who think it is a miracle job.

Judas

Open to offers
There’s quite simply a lot of players who I never want to see play for us again, and it’s not tough to work out who. If they’re still here next season, you have to ask questions of Ten Hag’s judgement to a certain extent.

I don’t judge him for having to play some of the slop right now, his hands are tied.

spiriticon

Every year there's supposed to be a massive clear out, and every year we send 3 people out on loan while we pay all their wages.

It's not the managers fault though, it's the boards. I hope that Arnold has more sense about him than Woodward.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We hear this every summer and it never happens. No one wants to buy our overpaid average players. Players won’t move because they earn double what they should be on. It’s a stalemate until their contracts run out. Because United are run by morons that hand out long terms contract we are left in an impossible position to transition the squad quick enough.
The ones who gave out long term contract got the boot. The way we dealt with Ronaldo hopefully shows we will not be taken for a ride in the same way.

el3mel

Who said it's a miracle season. It's a good season. Before the season if somebody said top 4 and trophy, every single United fan would've snapped their hand off for it.

We literally have not had a better season post Sir Alex. We never won a trophy while finishing top 4 post Sir Alex. Ten Hags win rate is literally the highest of any United manager, ever. 1 season sample size, but all the same, it is a fact.
You. You are the one acting like we should be glad we are getting such results and it's out of our possible realm to achieve. Our competitors on top 4 this year have been Spurs and Newcastle, and our strongest opponent in run for the league cup was Newcastle, so let's put matters in context. He improved the team and results are better than the debacle of last season but nothing in is out of the current team's realm and he hasn't been blameless when it comes to game management.

You said "shit happens" when the first leg ended in a draw and we told you it's. Now the second leg ends with a humiliating loss and you are saying "shit happens", so basically, you can't even bring yourself to analyze the team flaws critically and are just content convincing yourself such losses are due to luck and day offs and not because our manager sucks in managing away games.

Zed 101

I would say my biggest criticism of ETH would be the faith he has in some players, by that I mean he wants us to play to a style, and certain players that he has been stuck with this season are just not capable of playing the way he wants either in terms of work rate, pressing or ability, over time I am sure ETH will have a 1st 11 and back ups who do fit his style but for me if we have to play Martial have him sit on the shoulder of the last defender and do not attempt anything else, Maguire should be clearing his lines not attempting to pass it around, AWB should be defending and not a lot else, those instructions are clearly not being given.

RuudTom83

The team we without the first CB pairing, the captain (Bruno) and has no real CF in the squad...plus Eriksen/Rashford/Martial have just returned from injury. In hindsight it is no real surprise to lose a quarter final.

EtH had very little options last night, but I just hope the club ownership is sorted in time for him to fix it properly in the summer.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Every year there's supposed to be a massive clear out, and every year we send 3 people out on loan while we pay all their wages.

It's not the managers fault though, it's the boards. I hope that Arnold has more sense about him than Woodward.
true and i think this would continue to be the case if the leeches are still stinking the place out as owners. I have no doubt if Qatar or the Jimster came in they would be told to either find a new club or rot in the reserves and train at The Cliff.

crossy1686

career ending
But we haven't though.

We sit third, with another semi final to come and still in a great position for top four.

Just played the best game for a while in the league against Forest, played a decent game against Everton, solid against Brentford.

People need to get a grip.
These things are great until they’re not true any more.

A couple of weeks ago we were nailed on for top 3, in all the cups and people were talking about who were going to play in all the finals.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

I agree that Ten Hag has done a very good job but its no way a miracle. That is what I am disputing with posters who think it is a miracle job.
I wouldn't describe it as miraculous. But honestly, did you see us in this position around this time last year?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
These things are great until they’re not true any more.

A couple of weeks ago we were nailed on for top 3, in all the cups and people were talking about who were going to play in all the finals.
But they are true currently.

A week ago we were fourth staring over our shoulders at Spurs, now we're third six points above them.

Things change quickly, but you can't change what's there in front you right now, three wins in a row in the league.
We win on Sunday then we're in another final this season.

b82REZ

You're splitting hairs and being needlessly pedantic.

We've been through this before; you lose so much credibility in your assessments because of how feverishly you supported Ole.

Ten Hag has out performed by all reasonable expectations. Take a look back at the predictions. Most had us finishing between 6-8. The fact we essentially have top four sealed and a trophy is an example of how well he has done. That doesn't even consider the off field issues that have plagued the club this season, nor the mid season break for the WC.

Judas

Open to offers
The amount who have the highest of high standards for Ten Hag yet gave Ole endless excuses, simply can’t be ignored. One rule for one, total opposite for the other. Impossible to take them seriously.

romufc

I wouldn't describe it as miraculous. But honestly, did you see us in this position around this time last year?
Nope, which is why I think Ten Hag has done a very good job but I wouldn't describe it as miraculous is all I am saying.

AshRK

Our away form against any half decent side is a concern. I think we peaked in February and since then have been mediocre. ETH have a lot of work to do this summer and he has to be ruthless but the only way he can be ruthless if he is backed by the board.

romufc

You're splitting hairs and being needlessly pedantic.

We've been through this before; you lose so much credibility in your assessments because of how feverishly you supported Ole.

Ten Hag has out performed by all reasonable expectations. Take a look back at the predictions. Most had us finishing between 6-8. The fact we essentially have top four sealed and a trophy is an example of how well he has done. That doesn't even consider the off field issues that have plagued the club this season, nor the mid season break for the WC.
Right. So because I back a manager, I lose credibility.

Okay, can you show me where I have said Ten Hag has performed below expectations? You are acting as if we are the only club to have issues, or the only club to have had players go to the WC, EVERY other PL club has had the same mid season break.

Right, go have a look at the Arsenal predictions as well this season. Did you have them winning the league or finishing 2nd?

AshRK

The amount who have the highest of high standards for Ten Hag yet gave Ole endless excuses, simply can’t be ignored. One rule for one, total opposite for the other. Impossible to take them seriously.
I hated Jose fan boys and now these Ole marks are proving to be even more irritating. Every draw or lose, Ole this Ole that.

b82REZ

Right. So because I back a manager, I lose credibility.

Okay, can you show me where I have said Ten Hag has performed below expectations? You are acting as if we are the only club to have issues, or the only club to have had players go to the WC, EVERY other PL club has had the same mid season break.

Right, go have a look at the Arsenal predictions as well this season. Did you have them winning the league or finishing 2nd?
What have Arsenal got to do with anything?

You lose credibility because you're in here after any bad result or performance to put the boot in; despite you trying your best to appear impartial. That doesn't work because of how partial you were towards Ole. Yes, I know you eventually changed your tune. But two years of you being sanctimonious about criticism towards the manager to you now being one of the main voices of the dissenters shows your agenda.

Maybe it's insecurity you got it so wrong last time you're jumping the gun this time to claw back some of that credibility; but your posts in here are far from the objective reasonings you seem to think they are.

People's expectations this season was 6-8, we have overachieved on that and won a trophy. Some may find that miraculous so you being a pedant about the use of certain adjectives continues to undermine your points.

Skills

Snitch
I hated Jose fan boys and now these Ole marks are proving to be even more irritating. Every draw or lose, Ole this Ole that.
I couldn't stand either Mourinho or Solskjaer. I'm actually way more partial to ETH than any of our previous managers (actually rooted for him to get the job), but that's not going to stop me from calling a spade a spade. Quite frankly far too many of these away games have been disgraceful

romufc

What have Arsenal got to do with anything?

You lose credibility because you're in here after any bad result or performance to put the boot in; despite you trying your best to appear impartial. That doesn't work because of how partial you were towards Ole. Yes, I know you eventually changed your tune. But two years of you being sanctimonious about criticism towards the manager to you now being one of the main voices of the dissenters shows your agenda.

Maybe it's insecurity you got it so wrong last time you're jumping the gun this time to claw back some of that credibility; but your posts in here are far from the objective reasonings you seem to think they are.

People's expectations this season was 6-8, we have overachieved on that and won a trophy. Some may find that miraculous so you being a pedant about the use of certain adjectives continues to undermine your points.
its not my fault you have selective reading issues and only read posts when we lose. Thats a you problem.

Yes, I am the insecure one when it is you who keeps bringing up previous managers. Talk about agenda.

I have backed Ten Hag from day one, I think he has done a very good job and wouldn't change him for anyone else, I dont get why you think I am against Ten Hag. Maybe your agenda against people who back the managers is so bad, you cant read.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Nope, which is why I think Ten Hag has done a very good job but I wouldn't describe it as miraculous is all I am saying.
Yeah fair enough. I think he's doing a brilliant job, thus far. Much better than any of our previous managers. LvG was far too inconsistent in his first season, Mourinho, whilst winning trophies, had us playing some very defensive football and Ole, following a free half season, had us playing horrible football till Bruno joined.

b82REZ

its not my fault you have selective reading issues and only read posts when we lose. Thats a you problem.

Yes, I am the insecure one when it is you who keeps bringing up previous managers. Talk about agenda.

I have backed Ten Hag from day one, I think he has done a very good job and wouldn't change him for anyone else, I dont get why you think I am against Ten Hag. Maybe your agenda against people who back the managers is so bad, you cant read.
Maybe, or maybe I can just see snidey trolls a mile off.

The fact everyone is calling you on this shows how delusional you're being that you think you're somehow showing support to the manager.