Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 540 53.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 476 46.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Still think he’s the right man to take us forward. My biggest issue with him though is that he doesn’t make subs before the 60th minute in pretty much every game. Even when it’s not working, you’d like him to bring on a fresh face straight after halve time if it’s 0-0 but instead there getting brought on when we’re down a goal or when it’s to late.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He doesn't seem to give a shite about violence towards women, does he?
What? It’s not his job to be a moral overlord, that’s the clubs role surely? How far do u take this moral high ground? He should select who is available to him, he is just a coach/manager of a team. I don’t condone any violence against woman or anyone for that matter, but he’s employed to make United win football matches, that’s it end of. Until a player is tried and prosecuted that’s really all he has to concern himself with. Also Anthony deserves to have a life until he is tried and sentenced, also deserves a life after he has paid for it.

philippexyz

Seems like very stern, Machiavellian principles kind of a guy. Honourable, but wants to win at almost any price possible, no matter the cost.

Suv666

have you ever had a friend/neighbour who committed a crime?
Sometimes you got criminals in your own home and you have no idea.

There is zero evidence he knew what Antony was upto.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
I think over the coming weeks the tide will turn and people will realize he has presided over a huge mess at this club. His support for Greenwood/Antony and poor judgements in signings will be the end for him. A shame because I was hugely optimistic a year ago but can’t help but think the writing is on the wall now. A huge reset is needed.

LordSpud

The shit he's had to put up with is unreal. Ronaldo, Greenwood, now Sancho and Antony. All within the first 13 months. Everyone's injured, the club is in a mess and the sale is still up in the air.

Enough to make a man bald.

mu4c_20le

It's not on top of his list of priorities, which is winning football matches. if he was willing to pick someone under investigation for attempted murder then he shouldn't have problems picking someone merely accused of some violence.

glasgow 21

I think over the coming weeks the tide will turn and people will realize he has presided over a huge mess at this club. His support for Greenwood/Antony and poor judgements in signings will be the end for him. A shame because I was hugely optimistic a year ago but can’t help but think the writing is on the wall now. A huge reset is needed.
Huge reset really ? and you never once considered anyone further up the food chain than ETH. Nice one.

Ted Lasso

It's a major issue across the globe, including the so called advanced Western world. You only need to look a few years back at the Me Too movement to see how rife this kind of thing is, shielding and turning a blind eye to violence and sexual assaults against women. The majority of the US voted for a man despite his openly and widely known history of it.

It's a bit sickening that now it's two managers in a row for United with this history. If you recall, Solskjaer was called out by a rape victim whose attacker he was managing and playing at the time at Molde. His excuses at the time likely will be the same as United , waiting for the (flawed) legal system https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...g-player-Molde-investigation-rape-claims.html

Between all this and the Rubiales stuff in Spain, just illuminating that football isn't free from the crap going on outside it

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Huge reset really ? and you never once considered anyone further up the food chain than ETH. Nice one.
I mean the reset has to start with/include the manager but doesn’t end with him. I think that Murtough and Arnold should go, and their responsibility for the mess is equal to that of Ten Hag. But to initiate a reset like this, the manager, who is the most hands-on person at the club and who has allowed an increasingly divisive dressing room to boycott our chances this season before it's even begun, have to go as well. It goes without saying that the Glazers are a cancer to the club, and we would be glad to be rid of them also.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Nah. Arsenal had 1 real chance before 96 minutes mate. 1 real chance bar their goal. They had zero opening from open play in rest of the match. Onana didn't make any save expect Saka shot

For us we had a martial save, rashford block rebound. Disallowed goal, Hojlund 6 yard flick, half chance on counter when Rashford didn't pass to Hojlund. All these were open play openings. Not corners or free kicks.

We have our issues but second half in emirates was as good as we have played away from home in ETH tenure.
Just seen this but, come on, some serious bias there.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I mean the reset has to start with/include the manager but doesn’t end with him. I think that Murtough and Arnold should go, and their responsibility for the mess is equal to that of Ten Hag. But to initiate a reset like this, the manager, who is the most hands-on person at the club and who has allowed an increasingly divisive dressing room to boycott our chances this season before it's even begun, have to go as well. It goes without saying that the Glazers are a cancer to the club, and we would be glad to be rid of them also.
Right... let's get rid of ETH, Murtough and Arnold all at one go.

Good thinking.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nah. Arsenal had 1 real chance before 96 minutes mate. 1 real chance bar their goal. They had zero opening from open play in rest of the match. Onana didn't make any save expect Saka shot

For us we had a martial save, rashford block rebound. Disallowed goal, Hojlund 6 yard flick, half chance on counter when Rashford didn't pass to Hojlund. All these were open play openings. Not corners or free kicks.

We have our issues but second half in emirates was as good as we have played away from home in ETH tenure.
It sounds like youre just naming all the times we came into their box rather than actually talking about real chances :lol:

devips

Still think he’s the right man to take us forward. My biggest issue with him though is that he doesn’t make subs before the 60th minute in pretty much every game. Even when it’s not working, you’d like him to bring on a fresh face straight after halve time if it’s 0-0 but instead there getting brought on when we’re down a goal or when it’s to late.
May I get a list of managers who regularly make substitutions at half time? Please!

RuudTom83

That's a very particular question @sglowrider haha

I was thinking more along the lines of SAF sticking by Giggs and his shopping list of terrors.

A lot of chat seems to be around EtH should have known what Antony was like, so it's not a huge leap to compare that scenario with SAF and Giggs.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Right... let's get rid of ETH, Murtough and Arnold all at one go.

Good thinking.
Well it’s clearly not going to happen anyway and it’s definitely not in the fans hands but before the club reaches any success I think they’ll all be long gone. My initial point is that I think the writing is on the wall and this is the start of Ten Hag’s downfall - I’d love to be proven wrong. I was replying to a comment saying that I thought the mess lies with just him, which I don’t, I think the entire club is rotten right now. The signings have been wrong, the trust with the fans has been lost, the players morale seems worse than I can remember post Fergie, the performance improved last year but is not substantially better. How would you evaluate the three of their performances since joining the club? What do you think the future looks like?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Just seen this but, come on, some serious bias there.
You are welcome to disagree with facts. The first real shot in second half was that 80th minute Saka shot. After that Rice goal . I'm ignoring the third one because we had to score .

Anything else I missed ?

nickm

Plastic fans everywhere, everyone is disposable, nobody is given a chance. it is quite exhausting.

Raven

In answer to all of the replies I've received, it now looks like he's been in favour of keeping Greenwood around, standing by Antony who's been accused by 3 different women and he was apparently also supportive of bringing Overmars back to Ajax while he was there. It gets to a stage where I'm thinking he's either an idiot (unlikely) or he really couldn't give a shit whether his players and colleagues are monsters.

nickm

I’d love to be proven wrong.
Would you though? Admit it, you love the drama, it's just another chance to pile on, isn't it.

I was replying to a comment saying that I thought the mess lies with just him, which I don’t, I think the entire club is rotten right now. The signings have been wrong, the trust with the fans has been lost, the players morale seems worse than I can remember post Fergie, the performance improved last year but is not substantially better. How would you evaluate the three of their performances since joining the club? What do you think the future looks like?
I don't agree with any of the above. 3 of the 4 major new signings: 1 hasn't started. 1 has played 150 mins. 1 has played about 20 minutes. The heart of our defence is injured. How is anyone sensible supposed to evaluate that?

Where has trust with the fans been lost? A few plastics have had a whinge, don't overdo it

Player morale - who can say?

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Would you though? Admit it, you love the drama, it's just another chance to pile on, isn't it.

I don't agree with any of the above. 3 of the 4 major new signings: 1 hasn't started. 1 has played 150 mins. 1 has played about 20 minutes. The heart of our defence is injured. How is anyone sensible supposed to evaluate that?

Where has trust with the fans been lost? A few plastics have had a whinge, don't overdo it

Player morale - who can say?
No I’d love to see this season become a success and these issue to be left behind and I’ll continue to support the team in every way possible. I was gutted watching the last game and the way it played out, we were unlucky but we also went into a game without a team that ever looked like they could win. Players like Martial and Maguire still being in the team is shocking.

I’m incredibly frustrated by the fiasco that has been the start of our season. From the friends I have that are United fans, the majority have lost trust that the club represents their interests. OK this is only my lived experience but even amongst the Caf, Reddit and Twitter I’ve seen a fan base turn on each other. I have never seen it this hostile before. Mainly because of the support and subsequent U-turn and statement on Greenwood but now exacerbated by the Antony saga. The signings throughout Ten Hag’s reign seem like stop-gap measures, as if we’re hoping to challenge for top four rather than push on and win the title in a couple of years.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You are welcome to disagree with facts. The first real shot in second half was that 80th minute Saka shot. After that Rice goal . I'm ignoring the third one because we had to score .

Anything else I missed ?
Why just second half? Half of those 'chances' for us weren't even chances really.

If he's talking about our offside then surely you count their penalty which was equally as borderline.

Havertz had a big chance which he missed the ball.

Saka had a big chance around 80th minute.

Not to mention that they scored 3 goals.

DJ_21

May I get a list of managers who regularly make substitutions at half time? Please!
Is that a serious question? How can you name managers that do that. Top managers know in the first halve if things aren’t working and then they’ll make a change straight after halve time :lol: All depends on the game. If we’re 3 goals up then obvs we don’t need to but other times we may need a change earlier.

mav_9me

Why just second half? Half of those 'chances' for us weren't even chances really.

If he's talking about our offside then surely you count their penalty which was equally as borderline.

Havertz had a big chance which he missed the ball.

Saka had a big chance around 80th minute.

Not to mention that they scored 3 goals.
So to compare the performances I would argue if you looked at it in terms of impactful moments with game in balance we were equal.

Havertz air shot
Saka brilliant chance
Havertz penalty canceled (rightly imo)

Then the 2 goals ( I don't count the 3rd goal, that was basically at the end, when we were chasing, whatever, the game was practically over)

Martial/Rashford chance
Hojlund penalty (not given)
Garnacho off side goal (rightly offside imo)

the_cliff

Ye it ain’t about the money anymore. People can say we need to spend another 200m but that isn’t the case. It’s about spending it correctly. Brighton is a perfect example of a properly run club. They don’t need to spend millions to play attractive football and win games. It ain’t hard man but for whatever reason our club makes everything so difficult.
I don't get this constant praise of Brighton and fans saying we should have a structure like Brighton. It's absolute bollocks, we're Man United we aren't a mid table side that can take gambles on talents that have never played in Europe. Last season was Brighton's best ever season.... They finished 6th. ETH finishes 6th this season, he'll be sacked.

Blood Mage

I don't think he has to worry about job security with all the bullshit he's having to deal with. A trainwreck season is probably forgivable at this point.

DJ_21

I don't get this constant praise of Brighton and fans saying we should have a structure like Brighton. It's absolute bollocks, we're Man United we aren't a mid table side that can take gambles on talents that have never played in Europe. Last season was Brighton's best ever season.... They finished 6th. ETH finishes 6th this season, he'll be sacked.
What are you talking about? Brighton probably have the best structure in the league. They get praise because they deserve it, they constantly lose their best players every season yet still perform to a decent standard every week. If we lose our best players and don’t play the same and start losing games everyone will use that as an excuse. Brighton replace players with either someone similar or someone better. Have they not signed Ansu Fati who’s played in the CL before? We’re not a mid table team but we’re classed as a top 6 team now every season. Use to be the best team in the league… they’ve long gone.

the_cliff

What are you talking about? Brighton probably have the best structure in the league. They get praise because they deserve it, they constantly lose their best players every season yet still perform to a decent standard every week. If we lose our best players and don’t play the same and start losing games everyone will use that as an excuse. Brighton replace players with either someone similar or someone better. Have they not signed Ansu Fati who’s played in the CL before? We’re not a mid table team but we’re classed as a top 6 team now every season. Use to be the best team in the league… they’ve long gone.
Yes but they are Brighton, again as I mentioned in the previous post our expectations and Brightons aren't the same, they can afford to spend 10 mill on a nobody in the Venezuelan league and have him not perform for 2-3 seasons, we can't. So comparing United and Brighton in terms of structure makes no sense at all. Again Brighton's best ever season is 6th, if we finish 6th this season ETH will be sacked, we are not the same.

Just look at what happened at Chelsea last season ? they took Brighton's scouts and pretty much the whole structure, signed young players that have potential but aren't quite ready yet and have had to change their whole approach this summer. They finished mid table last season and could very well finish mid table this season.

DJ_21

Yes but they are Brighton, again as I mentioned in the previous post our expectations and Brightons aren't the same, they can afford to spend 10 mill on a nobody in the Venezuelan league and have him not perform for 2-3 seasons, we can't. So comparing United and Brighton in terms of structure makes no sense at all. Again Brighton's best ever season is 6th, if we finish 6th this season ETH will be sacked, we are not the same.

Just look at what happened at Chelsea last season ? they took Brighton's scouts and pretty much the whole structure, signed young players that have potential but aren't quite ready yet and have had to change their whole approach this summer. They finished mid table last season and could very well finish mid table this season.
It’s not about copying their structure though… we could get our own structure, bring our own people in. I was using them as an example of the work they’ve done. Our structure is a shambles as we all know… since Fergie left we’ve gone through like 6 managers each with different style of plays… that right there is already the sign of terrible thinking. That means each time them managers have signed players they’ve had to get sold when they don’t fit in the new managers plans. Where as Brighton have stuck with the same philosophy that potter started at Brighton and then they went and found an under dog of a manager who plays a similar style football… so the squad from the previous season will all be very good at playing it, with a few additions he’s took them to a new level.

frostbite

You are right. Another good example is Leicester.

There are many small teams and a few of them "get it right" for a few years, then collapse. It could be skill, or it could also be statistics, there are many small teams that try different approaches, a few get lucky, but sooner or later their luck is over. To be consistently at the top is something very different. And it is much harder.

glasgow 21

What mess is that ? you made up "the divide dressing room part" You are oblivious how most managers work , they identify players and the folk above do the negotiating and fees in relation to the books which most managers couldn't read on a good day. So you blaming ETH for overpaying when we have done nothing but overpay for over a decade. You need to look for common denominator and ETH is it, but go ahead a print you poison towards him as most of us are sick to the back teeth of what our club has become and don't blame ETH for it , but if you want a scapegoat go for it.