Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 598 55.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 487 44.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

IrishMcD

The minute he went in for Mason Mount for the price he did, with the limited funds we had available and all the serious issues in the squad, I had serious, serious doubts. Said it at the time, will say it now with confidence that I won’t be wrong, an absolutely shocking signing, that is so obvious that it creates more problems than solves.
But regardless of who the manager is, when people are debating about Dalot vs Wan Bissaka, whether we should keep McTominay, how Rashford is “world class” despite walking around for 95% of games, it shows where we are. Not a single United player makes the city team. I can’t make an argument for any of them. We need such a massive clear out. While I have serious doubts about ten hag, I’d rather see a complete squad clear out than Change of manager. Sick of watching all these wasters. Very few of them are likeable characters

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Sack, two seasons of piss poor summer prep, completely lacking fitness. This is basic stuff.

Horrendous away record

Desperate dip in results and performances after league cup.

Some of the worst results in the clubs recent history.

A squad, which despite sizeable investment, looks worse than the one he inherited.

Sack. Honestly, the only “unbelievable” supporters are the ones who want us to endure more and more time under a man who has clearly given enough evidence that he isn’t up to the job. Just like with Ole, support, waste time, and the wash their hands when he finally goes.

Have some backbone and demand some standards!
The club fecked our pre-season.

There are 10 players missing currently. We were starting 2 players without pre-season, one of whom joined on an emergency loan. 3 young players came on off the bench. The players who didn't come on were Evans, Maguire and Gore.

We still have Martial, Maguire, Rashford, Sancho McTominay. All on obscene wages with limited contributions in most cases. Mistakes from 3-5 years ago are still affecting us today.

The squad is not alright. Maybe when so many of them aren't missing for more than 1 match we'll get to see some stability. Our signings were a striker who started his first match, a midfielder who hasn't played yet, another midfielder who's injured, a backup goalkeeper, an emergency full back on loan who hasn't played football in 2 years and a starting goalkeeper who is struggling to save shots. All the money spent hasn't been put into use yet.

The away record is inexcusable.

We've only just gotten rid of Greenwood and Sancho is currently "undergoing treatment". Way too many toxic elements from last season still affecting our club.

We'll be a mess for a while still and a new manager will definitely not be able to fix that this season. Staying with EtH at least might because there are plans in place on fixing the culture and the bad attitude. If the performance on the pitch doesn't improve at least the next manager hopefully will have a better base to build on.

Ricardo de la Vega

If you look at all the managers we've had post-Sir Alex, there is a clear reason why they've failed on the pitch. It's all connected to the owners, but at the end of the day, they're not been good enough. If we bring in a manager who is proven in modern-day football then I do believe we can do well with the Glazers in charge. Ten Hag isn't proven at the top level, he did well in Holland and that's it. Although I wanted him it was always going to be a risk and the off-field stuff hasn't helped although I doubt it would change much.

Due to the fact he dragged us to 3rd and won a trophy despite a lot of off-field problems and having a squad of bad attitudes I'll give him time, but that doesn't mean he hasn't made a lot of questionable decisions. For example, he's addicted to signing former players which isn't a transfer strategy, and he brings in random players on loan that are so bad we may as well use a youth player. He's liked by the majority of players but he's also been disliked by a fair few as well.
Mourinho and van gaal say hello.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I'll reserve judgement on both clubs after the season. Chelsea doesn't look good at all.
Look at the chelsea thread. Chelsea actually position is 3rd in the league. They lead or in the top 4 in a lot of the attacking stats. They are just lacking in the finishing department. They are much better than what the result shows

Cathy Ferguson

I'm not saying sack him.
But I wonder how long it would take De Zerbi to get us to play 3 passes in a row without losing the ball.
Why persist with a clueless manager? Why? De Zerbi has proven his pedigree in the PL but of course it will take time to improve us. ETH is taking us backwards.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
So the fans who wants to keep him.. answer me, are brighton players are better than what ETH has in his disposal? Time and time again? Where will you draw the line?

Lord of Blackhaven

He has not been clearly a better Manchester United manager than Ole. There is no objective way that anyone can say he has, except they are filling in blanks with hope and imagination. We score no goals and are a poor attacking side under Ten Hag. We were a threat under Ole at least, even against good sides, and all of that aside - the league tables will tel you that Ten Hag is not clearly better at all, except having been more heralded when he arrived.
It is entirely possibly to objectively say ETH is better than Solskjaer: ETH win rate: 65.2% Ole win rate: 54.1% ETH Utd trophies: 1. Ole Utd trophies: 0. QED.

Last edited:

Sylar

We gotta keep and give him a chance to play a system with his players
We haven't seen ambrabat yet
Mount is out
We haven't had hoijlund complete a 90 Minute match yet.

Not sure how long varane is out but that will make a difference to our defence too.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Obviously keep but I have very little hope he’s going to turn us into a competitive team and this goes for any other potential candidate that can take his place. Our recruitment is just too shit for us to challenge the likes of City

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The away record is disappointing but choosing to disrespect him on the overall spectrum because of that is nothing short of stupidity.
There's no disrespect, you can criticise managers. He hasn't got it all right has he, there's flaws in his management. Question is, where do you expect ETH to take the club, what do you think he will achieve?

GazTheLegend

What exactly has Onana done wrong?
Are you being serious? Ten Hag spunked £47m on him, and everyone around here seemed convinced it would improve our "style of play" or something, despite being an arguably worse shit stopper than the last guy. Has it worked out so far? I'll admit it's still early enough that I could be wrong but I haven't seen an improvement from de Gea.

luck&neat

Wouldn't blame him if he walked at this point. Like trying to herd cats. I can't think of a manager that could untangle our mess currently.

Not the greatest decision-making today, but the performance was on the players out there.

Our midfield continues to be atrocious. The fact Brighton was bringing on a Barcelona player when 2-0 up at OT whilst we were bringing on a Mannequin and Youth team players to chase the game says it all about the current state of affairs.

crossy1686

career ending
Serious questions need to be asked but then again you also need to ask serious questions about the players and their attitude to playing for Manchester United. You can’t keep sacking managers who ask them to work hard and then apply a consequence when they don’t otherwise we might as well just bring Ole back.

Em765

I give him the whole season but I would also wanna apply pressure. He shouldn't feel like his job is secure

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
They didn't fail because they were bad managers - there are plenty of league and CL trophies among two of them, so there was clearly something unique to United that caused them to fail. ETH gets Ajax within a whisker of the CL final then comes to United with massive funds backing him, and pretty much struggles as Mourinho and LvG did.
Mourinho and LvG were great managers but both were past it by the time they got here, as shown by how they've fared since leaving.

But I agree that managers aren't helped here with how the club is run. They're asked to do too much and we don't have a proper system in place to help them.

But again that has nothing to do with fan expectations which was what you and the other poster were talking about first.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Nah this guy can't actually think that the system worked because it started strong. It VERY CLEARLY was the cause of the issues. Brighton took 15 minutes to adapt to it, and then took control. If he thinks the system worked today, then I am fecking worried about the near future until his inevitable sack. He is a better tactician than this, but if he can't figure out how to get it working here, he needs a swift replacement.

mu4c_20le

He thinks he's still in Holland.

He's made so many shite decisions and the upsetting thing is he seems to have learned nothing from his first season. Pep and Klopp made massive improvements in their second season while ETH has arguably made even worse decisions this season.

If he doesn't last the season, it will be because of terrible decisions he's made in terms of player recruitment and squad building. It's a terrible unbalanced squad and one he had a huge impact in putting together.

De Zerbi bossing him in the manner that he did today looks incredibly poor on him.
This is what worries me. I wanted him when he was at Ajax, as I thought he could make the step up with his ideas on better players and more money. When he signed Mount, there were reports that he planned to play him as an 8, and the player himself proudly stated that's where he felt most comfortable. Then we saw it didn't really work, and the club scrambled to sign Amrabat.

When he insisted we splash out on Antony last year, he must have known that he wasn't a dribbling winger who could beat people, that he was mostly a ball retention type to help progress the ball up the field. I dont want to sound too harsh, but most of our play is on him, he is responsible for implementing his philosophy, tactics, and style. So when it looks like it doesn't work, then it's concerning.

Pyro19

He's a top 4 manager but not a chamipnship winning one. Get him to steady the ship and look for the next manager that can elevate us.

For all his hype, our style of play is grim and he folds easily against competent opposition. Get rid as soon as we have a better option

crossy1686

career ending
Are you being serious? Ten Hag spunked £47m on him, and everyone around here seemed convinced it would improve our "style of play" or something, despite being an arguably worse shit stopper than the last guy. Has it worked out so far? I'll admit it's still early enough that I could be wrong but I haven't seen an improvement from de Gea.
Onana hasn’t had the luxury of a settled back line. De Gea won a golden glove because of Varane and Martinez, when they got injured he was letting goals in for fun.

Irwin99

Same same quotes... You know the script...

Manchester United midfielder Christian Eriksen to BBC Match of the Day: "It is a heavy one. We have to look at ourselves. We changed some things but we are disappointed.

On what needs to be done to turn things around: "The small things. We had the offside at Arsenal and today when we scored but it was out of play. The small things we are missing and a bit of luck to get over the line and get something out of the effort we put in.
The problem with that is that, like the LVG era, we have to be so bloody clinical with our chances and have the right amount of luck, because there's just not enough goals in the team to compensate. If something bad or unlucky happens you get over it with the assurance that another good chance will come along and our strikers or midfielders will put it away but I just never feel confident that will happen. I didn't even watch the game today but hearing reports that Rashford was wasteful or that we struggled to get a grip are no surprise.

Early days but i feel it's going to be a long old season unless something turns for us

sixdwarf

A question that shouldn't be asked. A thread that shouldn't exist. The very definition of knee jerk.

The problem is how the club is run and that is on the ownership.

el3mel

I have given up on United under this godawful coach. I skipped today's game and I have zero regret about this.

He would be sacked before Christmas.

el3mel

Sack. He's a terrible coach. I said it before, he is way overrated by United fans only in the world

Delano

He did not lose the dressing room, he lost some players.

He was in the CL quarter finals and leading the league. You dont do that if you lost the dressing room. I think it is clear by now that Bayern were a mess last season under Kahn and Salihamidzic.
And EtH was a second away from taking Ajax to a Champions League Final.

My point is, we hired a manager on the up, he had a strong first season and all of a sudden, he's shit and he should be fired now.

I'd argue strongly that his record outweighs Nagelsmanns.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Let’s just keep sacking managers and keep going on this merry-go-round.

There are deep rooted issues at this club, we all know who/what it is.

Jeffthered

I agree. But he talks such a good game.
This is my concern. We all knew last season was a relatively average Premiership, and this season would be tougher. Other teams just seem 'sharper', more prepared, like they want it, are looking forward to the new season.

We seem awfully flat, and the ETH manner doesn't exactly inspire. He has to be careful. And if he needs help, he needs to bl**dy well ask for it. Because I worry.

RedUnited86

He should be sacked purely on our away form to every other club in the top half of the table. How many spankings does it take for someone to learn a lesson? It's rinse and repeat with him whenever we travel away from OT.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Serious questions need to be asked but then again you also need to ask serious questions about the players and their attitude to playing for Manchester United. You can’t keep sacking managers who ask them to work hard and then apply a consequence when they don’t otherwise we might as well just bring Ole back.
You certainly can keep sacking managers. Other top clubs replace their managers every 1-2 seasons without any problems.

Our issue is our structure (or lack thereof) makes us very reliant on the manager since every decision is heavily manager-driven. Thus requiring a massive rebuild every time we hire a new manager.