Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 640 44.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 789 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

King Eric 7

There's also games we lost that we could have won based on very close decisions like Spurs and Arsenal.
We lost both of those games by two clear goals, so I don't think we were even close to winning either. We didn't play anywhere near well enough to win either of those games either. So for me, ETH has been a bit fortunate to get the four wins so far. Against teams we should be beating with ease. In mitigation, I think the injuries to the back line in particular have been disastrous for us but it's been a pretty poor start to the season so far.

Ludens the Red

Such a weird response. How can you not be buzzing right now ffs
It’s not a weird response. It’s a completely logical response based on the events that have been unfolding. I’m sure he celebrated the winning goals and was happy with the result but like a logical, critical thinking person then thought “we won but man we’re really bad at the minute and I’m worried long term”. You know the sort of thing I’d imagine every player in that dressing room is going through. If you even saw Mctominay at the end when Hoijlund was trying to jump on him he seemed to be trying to tone things down.

RedOrange

Such a weird response. How can you not be buzzing right now ffs
Agenda FC makes up at least half the posters here. Just hoping the club loses and sacks the manager so they can feel better about some previous manager they liked more.

Superunknown

We lost both of those games by two clear goals, so I don't think we were even close to winning either. We didn't play anywhere near well enough to win either of those games either. So for me, ETH has been a bit fortunate to get the four wins so far. Against teams we should be beating with ease. In mitigation, I think the injuries to the back line in particular have been disastrous for us but it's been a pretty poor start to the season so far.
Those four wins were:

1-0 home win against Wolves. Thought it was a very lacklustre performance. Important to get the win in our first game, so I can understand why most fans would just take the points and run in that scenario.

3-2 home win against Forest. 2 goals down in 5 minutes, which is...just shit. Good resilience to come back, but really should have been a much simpler home win.

1-0 away win against Burnley. Bruno had the only bit of quality in that game, which was a poor game. Again, it's weak opposition and we should have been looking to win this more comfortably. Still, it's out of the way.

2-1 home today against Brentford.

Looking at all of that and reflecting on our performances in those games, I agree with your assessment. The injuries have caused us issues, but we haven't really been particularly good at the other end of the pitch either, or in midfield. Generally, we've lacked control in these games and haven't created that many chances.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What was he going on about everything went against us? Only thing that went against us today was your shite team selections. Onana needs dropping for a game before mistakes become an habit.

CallyRed

Rumour is that EtHs post match talk with the players was just him repeatedly singing do do do do do do do Scott McTominay

prateik

fecking clown. Hope the club isnt stupid enough to trust him with a single fecking pound going forward.. He coaches the players he is given or he can feck off.

He has to earn the right to spend hundreds of millions.. an he is miles away from that.. right now, I wouldnt trust him with 50p

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I wonder if Ten Hag will take anything away from that final 10-15 minutes?

All season long he's insisted on us trying to dominate the ball, play in the opponents half and try to cut teams open with cute passing. Its not worked. We've looked like Van Gaal's United instead of Cruyff's Barcelona.

Today, we got desperate and started playing more directly: Getting wide and getting crosses into the box. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but Klopp took Liverpool from also rans to a top team having 'Trent' and 'Robbo' spamming crosses in. If its good enough for them, maybe its good enough for us?

One thing's for sure Ten Hag needs to accept that, whatever tactical plan he thought he had for this season, he has to change. We aren't going to be playing with a bunch of lightweights and slow coaches in the first two thirds and avoid humiliation. He has to accept what the players he has are good at and start playing to their strengths, instead of exposing their weaknesses.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The thing for me is the players still play for him....
It reminds me of our win against Newcastle under José that was make or break for him.

Everyone was on Pogba and Martial's backs, but it was them who saved his job that night with a couple of impressive performances.

What I'm saying is that it's impossible for us to really know what's going on. On the pitch, the players could play well in a certain game but, off it, there could be problems.

L1nk

He needs to play players like Hannibal and Mainoo once he’s back from injury. I don’t think what he wants to do has enough leeway in it to have passengers like Casemiro jogging around the pitch and it’s opening us up to gaps and problems on the pitch.

We need to trust more in - and invest more in - to younger more energetic players who can cover ground and who want to cover ground

OrcaFat

We did okay in those two games and it could have gone either way.

Abraxas

Hard to say whether today was great managerial influence or just a relatively unsophisticated converging of circumstances with McTominay and Hojlund in the box as the last hope as we reigned down on their goal. I dunno. Hard to think there was too much method to that madness but we'll take it and hopefully it will improve confidence and the manager can get some results and start to turn this situation.

edgecutter

He should see that he has the backing of the fans to bench underperforming players. The cheers for the Rashford sub should speak volumes

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
It's weird how people are willing to point at the games we could have lost and got lucky, but not the games we could have won and got unlucky (Tottenham, Bayern, Palace)

Polar

Don’t mind if Casemiro, Rash and Bruno are on the bench a couple of matches.

Amrabat, Mout and McT on the Midfield
… and Anthony, Garnacho and Hojlund up in front.

Eriksen probably isn’t an obvious starter, but a good player to have in backup.

Don’t we have academy players we can test on this level? City often play young players from their own rank.

Last edited:

FerociousCorgis

The commentators on my feed were expecting the fans to be angry at the change :houllier: :lol:
Haha yeah I had that on the nbc stream. They sounded like Rashford pr people the whole game I swear. They were acting like the boos would be raining down

Xaviboy

Delighted for him and team. Buzzing after this. This has to be turning point for us.

Some of our play is good but we really do struggle to break teams down.

Stupid basic mistakes are killing us. Casemiro today for goal, Jesus christ for chap all experience playing a pass like that. Woeful.

Time he drops Rashford, Garnacho more direct and playing it quicker when coming inside.

kps88

Explain to me why Garnacho has looked much better and our team in general looks much more of a thread with Garnacho. Same left back behind both of them.
It's possible Rashford would also look better if he did 30 minute cameos against tired legs. When Garnacho started our first two games of the season he looked lost and we lost them both.

Appletonred

Guardiola would flop at Utd, its a club set up to fail from a sporting perspective and set up to succeed from a commercial perspective, no manager in world football can fully function at an optimum level without the correct structure in place, until that's put right the club will be lesser than the sum of its parts.

Castia

Delighted with the late goals but boy what an awful performance yet again

It‘s time he made sweeping changes to the line up because it’s just not working

Castia

Guardiola would flop at Utd, its a club set up to fail from a sporting perspective and set up to succeed from a commercial perspective, no manager in world football can fully function at an optimum level without the correct structure in place, until that's put right the club will be lesser than the sum of its parts.
Nah pep would have spent 400m on players that could fit his system not the crap ETH has bought

I get your point the upper management needs to go but ETH has spent a lot of money in 12 months and has nothing to show for it

acid_fuji

It's possible Rashford would also look better if he did 30 minute cameos against tired legs. When Garnacho started our first two games of the season he looked lost and we lost them both.
at least Garnacho does not try to beat 3 people because he know that’s most likely stupid option

fallengt

Nah pep would have spent 400m on players that could fit his system not the crap ETH has bought
Took 2 years and few clowns in between to replace Joe Hart.
City has a system to cycle players when it's not working. If it was United, Claudio Bravo would be goal keeper still

LJJT

I do fear a group of players are sick of him or have some issues with him. But that’s on them not the manager, we do need to keep backing him with this hardline he takes. I do feel he is a bit naive though like he was at the start of last season and with signing of onana and mount this season

Robbie Boy

Our performances have been absolutely terrible all season. Today will buy him some time, but feck me, he needs to massively improve.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Our general play worries me the most. We don't create chances. Everything looks so slow and without any idea. On top of that we don't have a single player in form. Not a good sign.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Those two starts are going to be held against him forever. I hear two different pods making the same argument and I just think it's incredibly unfair. He looked fecking boss against Palace in the cup and he ran his socks off alongside Mejbri and Pellistri.

el3mel

I skipped the game so not sure if the performance was shit or not.. I bet it was going by the result and that we were 1-0 down at half time.. But at our sorry state I will take literally any 3 points at the moment no matter what. These wins are very few nowadays.

Beside these points will help us when Ten Hag gets the sack and we get a caretaker to resume the season. Don't want him to start at a shit position.

RedOrange

I get your point the upper management needs to go but ETH has spent a lot of money in 12 months and has nothing to show for it
Guardiola spent more in his first two seasons and started with a much better squad. A lot of those signings flopped too, they binned 2-3 players off after his first season and spent over 300m in his second season, and this was 6 years worth of transfer fee inflation ago.

DavelinaJolie

It's a highly emotional win, that you would hope would give a boost to everyone at the club and see things turn around.

But it sounded like it was still pretty poor football for the majority of the game and throwing caution to the wind that got the result. That City game is looming large and I fear another hammering.

The result will buy Ten Hag some time I guess, but that gross offensive play needs to be sorted out, and quick.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I skipped the game so not sure if the performance was shit or not.. I bet it was going by the result and that we were 1-0 down at half time.. But at our sorry state I will take literally any 3 points at the moment no matter what. These wins are very few nowadays.

Beside these points will help us when Ten Hag gets the sack and we get a caretaker to resume the season. Don't want him to start at a shit position.
Crap 60min performance, but every change that occurred made us slightly better. The last 10mins of regular time was pretty good. Thought Antony looked dangerous and a bit less selfish than normal. Its a mystery why Garnacho doesn't start games.

Still way more questions than answers though, we struggle to create chances, our GK is horrific, defense looks fragile. Midfield still clueless at tracking back. We got away with it a bit, thought Strakosha was awful for Brentford, a really nervous and flappy goalkeeper.