Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 593 55.0%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 486 45.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Robbie Boy

Already 8 points behind a top 4 who look like they play a different sport to us. Disastrous season and all the signs were there early on.
Yup; fecking shocking.

This could be the months he's sacked as we binned Ole and Jose in November. It'll be more of the same for the next man, though.

Eplel

It's pointless to argue anymore.

Any manager that comes in will fail because the club is built to fail.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Doesn't fancy Mount and Amrabat. McTominay and Maguire, two players he tried to sell in the summer, are now both starters. He doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

hobbers

-5 gd after 10 games and there are still people who think he will see out the season :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Bad patch :lol:

We've been generally shite under him. If anything - any good period that we might have had (and I can think of a period, maybe 2 or 3 performances) were the patch.

-5 GD. 5 Losses in 10 games. 11 goals scored <- this is what you're defending
I'm not defending it. I'm just looking at the whole picture. He bought enough goodwill to see it through.

Shady

Any chance in hell we could get Xabi Alonso? Would sack ETH instantly if so. Couldn't care less about the Liverpool links.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I'm definitely coming round to the idea he's not the guy, the signings have been atrocious and the insistence on playing our pretend elite players like Rashford is bad. But the idea this is making some people pine for the great days of Ole, you must be fecking joking!

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
He's not a good coach if he can't see the problem in playing Bruno in this team. He decided to trust him, and his captain is as good as the team, as is the coach.

We might act surprised, as I usually say. After every game we usually act shocked with how we play but if you remove your tinted red glasses we have been shit since 2020 in game control and tactics.

Its unsustainable how we play.
you can't coach being a transition team, that's is like waiting for the other team to make mistakes then hit first ball forward.
Coaching needs to be sustainable and have a graph of progress. Our play in opposite of it because of the players we have.

He has refused to coach or drop players who can't play actual football, what else is needed to be done really?
The coach is confused of how we should play, players will be more confused. And sadly, it shows in the field.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I still am not too bothered about sacking him yet.

We sack him, bring someone exciting in, and we probably still bring in players based off name value and stats rather than their general play.

Our recruitment department needs sorting out first so that the next guy has the platform to succeed.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Stop downplaying. This isn't a bad patch. This terrible run of form started after we won the league cup.
I'm not downplaying anything. Hes probably going to be our fastest manager to 50 PL wins. Is that downplaying? No it isn't.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I am far from convinced he is what we need. But also entirely convinced that there is 0 use in replacing him until the Ratcliffe deal gets finished. Get Ratcliffe in. Put in a proper strategy at the top, sporting directors, get everyone on board with a forward thinking strategy and not rushing to win right away... If Ten Hag still meshes with that, keep him. If not, then replace with what the people in charge then deem worth replacing with. But pointless and dumb to sack now.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You think Mount and Garnacho would do a better job? Totally agree that Rashford and Bruno have been shocking.
Honestly I can’t see who can do worse than those two at the moment. I’d rather he switched it up than persist with the same players who keep playing like shit.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's never tried progressive attacking football his entire time here.
I felt like when he first arrived he tried to play somewhat similar to Ajax but you guys just couldn't pull it off. I'm not defending him, he has to go as I said but always felt watching you guys (obviously not as much as your own fans have) that he's being getting stranger and stranger and more and more negative in his football.

Marwood

It's not the amount that matters, it's the quality of players. We've spent obscene amounts on Sancho, Maguire, and many other shits that ETH inherited.
Fair enough I agree with that.

But ETH wanted a bunch of these players right? Including the most expensive of the lot.

Redbandito

I agree Ole was rightfully canned but the negativity towards him made it seem like he was doing the worst possible job. Ten Hag has shown it’s actually possible to be worse than Ole.
People saying Ten Hag is worse than Ole have forgotten how bad it had gotten under Ole. In all honesty, there is very little difference between Ten Hag and Ole at their worst. Literally the same team with the same players stinking up the joint.

Natener

His biggest problem is the players that were most reliable for him last season are either injured or badly out of form and confidence. I can accept results taking a bit of a hit since Shaw and Martinez are out. But not having the courage to drop Rashford and Bruno is unacceptable. He seemed like a sharp man last season for the most part even while there were some terrible losses. Just make the daring changes for fecks sake. Results are already as poor as it gets, what does he has to lose?

Sanchez7

He's had a rough go of it with all the injuries and off-field bullshit around the club, but he's not doing himself many favours.

The inexplicable selection decisions are starting to pile up:
  • Bruno on the wing has worked precisely once, against Barca, and he just keeps fecking doing it.
  • Leaves Eriksen on the bench against all the weaker sides he could be useful against then starts him in a game where he knows we're not going to get a kick.
  • Benches Antony when we need his (admittedly few) strengths more than ever. Someone to put in a shift defensively, keep the ball when he gets it and buy a few free kicks would have been nice.
  • Fernandes and Rashford literally just can't play badly enough to get dropped.
  • McTominay starting and playing the full 90 when he offers absolutely nothing outside of the opposition box.
  • Hojlund, our only halfway threatening player, gets hooked like clockwork after 70'.
Good post. These are all clear cues to me that the manager doesn't know what he is doing and is failing to see the bigger picture.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That goodwill went with mount and his atrocious subs this season
Sure, his over performance in the last season by way of results and winning a cup goes out the window because of Mason mount and bad subs. Good rebuttal, really.

Woziak

Yeah, I don't think he would have enjoyed picking that team today. He doesn't have the players he wants to implement the style, but a lot of that is on him of course for poor transfer management.

Thing is, transfers shouldn't be his remit as much as it has been. I blame the structure for this. I want him to focus on coaching and management. Hes been poor this season of course, but somewhat stabilised results before today.

We are in an era of knee jerk moans but he will probably still be the quickest United manager since Fergie (or in United history?) to hit 50 PL wins. So there's enough goodwill to give him time to see whatever patch this is out.
Only with an elite DOF controlling his every move, he’s done nothing of real significance to demand veto on player signings, his biggest moment is being 2-0 in a CL SF to spurs and losing that, losing is far too easy for this man, 50% win rate this year 50% loss rate in PL and all games played -5 GD after 10 games tells me everything we need to know this guy can’t produce a free flowing team that’s capable of scoring 75-85 goals in the Premier League, last season was ok but GD was what +14 with 23 wins and 9 losses. Start looking now for a potential replacement, give him to Xmas 23?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm not downplaying anything. Hes probably going to be our fastest manager to 50 PL wins. Is that downplaying? No it isn't.
But the form has been bad since the league cup, the performances have been shite since.

Martinez4midfield

Supports
Ajax
Media going hard on ETH, pretty sickening. No shame in losing to a quality city team that beats everyone. Plus with all the injuries he's dealing with.

Pricks, put the knives down.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Only with an elite DOF controlling his every move, he’s done nothing of real significance to demand veto on player signings, his biggest moment is being 2-0 in a CL SF to spurs and losing that, losing is far too easy for this man, 50% win rate this year 50% loss rate in PL and all games played -5 GD after 10 games tells me everything we need to know this guy can’t produce a free flowing team that’s capable of scoring 75-85 goals in the Premier League, last season was ok but GD was what +14 with 23 wins and 9 losses. Start looking now for a potential replacement, give him to Xmas 23?
Controlling his every move is a but much. But sure, give him till Xmas and ask me the same question.

Atheist

Even if we sack him, we need to change the policy of giving managers the veto on signings. The days of that are long gone, managers should be able to give suggestions but that should be about it. The signings should be driven by a football director and it would ensure a more coherent transfer policy across managers.

redom

Don't kill me for this view, I like him but he has to go.

he's gone from trying to play progressive attacking football to being absolutely soul destroyed, stumbled past 2 teams that United have the quality to paste in the last week and his tactics today were baffling.
I know it's a makeshift back 5 but Bruno on the right was a shocker, it allowed Grealish, Bernardo and Gvaridol to do as they pleased, it removed Bruno from getting on the ball and knocking in through passes one of the few things he excels at, he played McTominay as they weird kind of Frank Lampard role and left Amrabat with an ancient Eriksn to try and stop an attacking midfield of Grealish, Bernardo, Foden and Alvarez.

Then he subs off his no.9 (who did look ok and best of Uniteds front 3 imho) waits till the game is dead to bring on any players with a chance of getting you back in the game. Not to mention United played the last 10 minutes like a team who were angry and had downed tools at the same time.

Good manager but it hasn't worked out I feel and he's so desperate he's making things worse.
This is the most disappointing thing for me, when he came in it felt like he was going to slowly build towards us playing a certain way, he made some concessions when we started last season poorly but galvanised the squad after the Brentford game and dealt with the whole Ronaldo saga about as well as could be hoped for, we ended the season with a trophy and there was cause for optimism.

Then we sign a keeper notorious for his ability or at least enthusiasm for playing out from the back and it feels like ETH is going to evolve our style and make us a more dominant, composed and technically confident team but instead we seem to have regressed in pretty much all areas, and while off field issues have played a huge part I also feel like he wasn't staunch enough in his "vision" or whatever you want to call it and now we're caught in a position where we don't really have a defined style of play, certainly not one close to that which seemed to be blueprint when he first came and the players look lost and unmotivated, it's a clusterfeck.