Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 580 54.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 483 45.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

gaffs

I’m open to a new DoF but why do people keep throwing Mitchell’s name around? He’s not the best out there
Who is the best out there? And available / getable?

Mitchell is the one most linked. Maybe that is because he is available having left Monaco, where he did a damn good job, and because he lives in the North West.

croadyman

The thought of him taking us to Anfield is a scary thought after last season's battering

Skills

Snitch

Mitchell is the one most linked. Maybe that is because he is available having left Monaco, where he did a damn good job, and because he lives in the North West.
No he didn't :lol:

OrcaFat

How can you start Lindelof at LB over a fit LB on the bench. Baffles me his decision making. Gonna cost him his job
Yeah I don’t understand his team selections or subs half the time. Don’t think it will cost him his job yet.

Cathy Ferguson

13 games into the season and we have not played well for a full 90 minutes, not even against Burnley, Sheffield or Copenhagen. I will be very surprised if ETH can get us out of this mess. Casemiro in rapid decline and Mount is not working.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
On the dutch paper site AD, there are quotes from Ten Hag talking to VIAPLAY saying we will never play like how he played at ajax, that's not why he came here. "The way we played at AJAX, you won't ever see that here." "The player material decides how we play. That's why I can not let this team play the way I did at ajax. I have to, I can't play the same way here. It's also not in the DNA of Manchester United. Ajax football is very specific, here we have to play more direct. We have the type of players for that."

He speaks like at United we do not accept or want Ajax type of football and he is forced to play a different brand... I'm sure many on the caf were dreaming of our team playing like his Ajax team and that it was a big reason many wanted him here for... Is this shit football and his player acquirement strategy just a confused Ten Hag thinking we want hoofball? :houllier:
This does explain buying of Mount though (instead central midfielder). His vision is some kind of 4141 system. But for that you don't need ball playing gk, bloody hell.

I agree with you. We hired him based on one style and now he wants to be someone else. I wonder what Murtough (man who hired him) is thinking right now? :lol:

eldoherz

Honestly with how shocking we look, I'm losing my patience with Erik.

But I doubt a change in manager will actually improve things. We consistently fail to kick on after promising starts, consistently fail to make good business decisions and then panic.

We fire Erick and honestly we're back to square one again. Rinse and repeat the same cycle with no plan or direction ad infinitum until something else changes at the club, we're just Liverpool of a decade ago with a bit more money.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Erik is really struggling now.

we look unorganised on an ongoing basis. Poor execution of subs on an ongoing basis.

But what has a greater effect here is his signings. We have had a limited budget since he came in, but spent a lot of money on player that have not really kicked on - the signings this summer more so. I think that is what will potentially break him. Clearout is good, but the purchases he’s made have not made the grade.

to be fair, it’s the same old story. Manager given the keys to Old Trafford and told “of ya go”. He never stood a chance doing it on his own. Murtogh and co will only do as they’re told and provide little input - the exact opposite of what a DoF type role should do. Same story for each manager since Fergie retired. No plan, no clear direction outlined, winging it based on solely the managers decisions.

Look at our U21s, very weak crop. We’ve been left behind in developing and spotting talent, where Brentford and Brighton are miles ahead. We have no choice but to spend, but need to spend wisely with our smaller budgets - and we haven’t done so.

ti vu

On the dutch paper site AD, there are quotes from Ten Hag talking to VIAPLAY saying we will never play like how he played at ajax, that's not why he came here. "The way we played at AJAX, you won't ever see that here." "The player material decides how we play. That's why I can not let this team play the way I did at ajax. I have to, I can't play the same way here. It's also not in the DNA of Manchester United. Ajax football is very specific, here we have to play more direct. We have the type of players for that."

He speaks like at United we do not accept or want Ajax type of football and he is forced to play a different brand... I'm sure many on the caf were dreaming of our team playing like his Ajax team and that it was a big reason many wanted him here for... Is this shit football and his player acquirement strategy just a confused Ten Hag thinking we want hoofball? :houllier:
This made it worse because we then signed plenty of players from Ajax and Dutch league products! If we just want the United Way style of play, then the whole Football Director, hiring Rangnick as interim, interviewing ETH and picking ETH was pointless. Could have just give it to Carrick until the end of the season and pick Poch last summer who has more experience in PL and the transition from Ole ball to Poch ball is not that huge.

Last edited:

Smithy89

Good coaches find a way, the state of the club doesn't help him. But ffs his in-game management and talent ID are abysmal.

Coops73

Honestly with how shocking we look, I'm losing my patience with Erik.

But I doubt a change in manager will actually improve things.
We consistently fail to kick on after promising starts, consistently fail to make good business decisions and then panic.

We fire Erick and honestly we're back to square one again. Rinse and repeat the same cycle with no plan or direction ad infinitum until something else changes at the club, we're just Liverpool of a decade ago with a bit more money.
This is where I’m at, I don’t think this is entirely down to him, its endemic at our club from the top and until that cancer is cut out and removed there is no hope of recovery.

mu4c_20le

@Adnan all that analyzing and he wasn't even trying to play Ajax/Hag ball...

Baxquux

His in game management is just as bad as the majority of Dutch posters said it was when we hired him.
There were a number of warning signs coming from Ajax fans, but many of us (including myself, full cop) took this as largely nit-picking (even SAF had one or two blind-spots and called a few selections wrong over that great post 92 era; could been more proactive in bringing in fresh technical talent in CM towards the end etc) and tendency to frame outgoing manager as less than ideal so that replacing him becomes more palatable...

Hughes35

Been saying it for weeks but he needs to go. He's completely lost the plot.

As disappointing as Anthony has been, his work rate is made for a game like this. lindelof at LB, Evans, Bruno RW, Rashford are all awful decisions. Not to mention the clearly shit coaching.

Then he goes and takes Hojlund off. He's absolutely clueless.

clarkydaz

This made it worse because we then signed plenty of players from Ajax and Dutch league products! If we just want the United Way style of play, then the whole Football Director, hiring Rangnick as interim, interviewing ETH and picking ETH was pointless. Could have just give it to Carrick until the end of the season and pick Poch last summer who has more experience in PL and the transition from Ole ball to Poch ball is that huge.
yes thats a bit of a checkmate there. He did grumble in preseason the players wernt doing what he asked, so appears he is lost in his original plan and succumbed to the 'united way'

r0663664

Worships Man City
I cannot understand what is he afraid off. He has players like Rashford and Bruno who form is so bad that they aren't contributing to goals and win. There are a group of young players sitting on the bench who is more than willing to play with their hearts out. Everytime I see Rashford press or close down a player, it is only for a show. He is always late and put on an act so he doesn't get blame for not pressing. He hardly put in a tackle. If I am ETH, United is going nowhere this season. I will play Garnacho, Mainoo, Hannibal and Pellestri more often. I will mould them to a player that I want. I will tell them exactly what I need them to do on the field. I will drop Rashford, Bruno, McTominay and Antony. I will play Amad when he is fully fit. The sooner that he realise 6 is top of reach and start thinking about the future instead of playing players who doesn't have a future here.

AshTheBash

Big Ang is the manager we want lads.

Dutch Fraud has spent £400M and got the players he wanted. No excuse. Ang gets Spurs playing great football in his 1st season on a fraction of Ten Hags budget.

Give Levy whatever he wants for Big Ang "mate" such a likeable geezer. Someone you want to go for a beer with. Not the robotic awkward Ten Hag who lies and contradicts himself constantly and can't "put his arm around the shoulder" and man manage big players ala Sancho and Ronaldo. If Ronaldo was still here with Rasmus as his super sub that would be perfect.. but no he relies on a 20 year old and blown the budget on a striker that's not ready-made

Antony shaking his head at Ten Hags substitutions sums it up. Even his allies are turning on him. Clueless manager who is in a job which is too big for him. He should resign.

All roads lead to Ten Hags sacking. Sir Jim won't trust him to spend a penny and rightfully so

Ten Hag can drop Bruno and Rashford

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@Adnan all that analyzing and he wasn't even trying to play Ajax/Hag ball...
It's not about playing like Ajax but about playing proactive attacking football where you play out from the back, press high and control defensive transitions in rest defense. It's why he wanted Onana and Martinez to raise the technical level in the build up phase and is preparing Kobbie Mainoo in a deeper lying midfield position. Of course we can't play like Ajax with the players we have and it's sensible to attempt to build the team around some players who are best suited to playing in transition.

OrcaFat

The last 3 games have probably saved his job and gave him a bit longer.
I think the investment in him and the cost of paying him off will be huge deterrents to sacking him. But we need a few good results asap. I could imagine his position being reviewed in January.

SirMattBugsby

I can’t get my head around Bruno on the right wing. He’s tried it numerous times and every time it’s like we’re playing with 10 men it’s absolutely pointless and doesn’t work. He’s shit on the right and the player covering his position is usually shit as well.

Absolutely baffling in all honesty, the minute that team was announced I’m pretty sure 95% of fans knew we’d lost.
It's quite similar to Moyes playing Paqueta on the left. I'm guessing he considers Bruno a defensive liability, hence plays him on the right from where, theoretically, Bruno can play his Hollywood passes. (Yes, I compared him to Moyes.)

The disconnect between EtH's philosophy and Bruno's style of play is what it's coming down to. Something has to give. Ten Hag has to realise he'll be sacked soon, so might as well try playing it his way.

Problem is, dropping his captain will surely lose that basketcase dressing room. And that, I'm afraid, will be that. Another manager fired for having crap above and below him.

Pscholes18

Isn't that lad that was at Pool pretty good?

Ludens the Red

So let’s run through all the steps that we go through every couple of years. Ten Hag is on course for his pre Christmas departure like Ole and Mourinho before him.

Achieve the bare minimal expected of a man United manager and have a section of the fanbase salivating you as a saviour - tick.

Spend hundreds of millions on rubbish players - tick.

Start the season with unbelievably rubbish performances as well as nonsensical tactical decisions - tick.

Section of fanbase blame injuries and glazers for constant mediocrity on the pitch and shout down anyone questioning the manager - tick.

Continue to pick mediocre performing players week in week out - Tick.

As manager, never take responsibility and start blaming outside factors as reason for the shiteness - tick.

Achieve papering over the crack victories in the most unconvincing manner against rubbish opposition - tick.

Suffer embarrassing defeat to a bunch of nobodies - tick.

Gary Neville trots out 35 minutes speech blaming glazers for mediocrity - tick.

receive first hammering by fierce rival in spectacular fashion around autumn-winter - tick.

Gary Neville finally realises maybe the manager, players and tactics are a bit shite and gives 35 minute speech on why - tick.

so by my estimates, two more steps to go.

Lose some more games and get hammered by a fierce rival for a second time.

Get sacked before Christmas.

Hire another average or past it manager.

Manchester United heritage…

OrcaFat

It's quite similar to Moyes playing Paqueta on the left. I'm guessing he considers Bruno a defensive liability, hence plays him on the right from where, theoretically, Bruno can play his Hollywood passes. (Yes, I compared him to Moyes.)

The disconnect between EtH's philosophy and Bruno's style of play is what it's coming down to. Something has to give. Ten Hag has to realise he'll be sacked soon, so might as well try playing it his way.

Problem is, dropping his captain will surely lose that basketcase dressing room. And that, I'm afraid, will be that. Another manager fired for having crap above and below him.
If he really wants to play without Bruno sometimes, he can start by resting him on Wednesday. If the team does well, it’s a possibility to reward the guys who come in and let them keep their place. He could be phased into a rotation player over a few weeks, imo. But the players who come in have to deliver and they probably won’t.

AFC NimbleThumb

So let’s run through all the steps that we go through every couple of years. Ten Hag is on course for his pre Christmas departure like Ole and Mourinho before him.

Achieve the bare minimal expected of a man United manager and have a section of the fanbase salivating you as a saviour - tick.

Start the season with unbelievably rubbish performances as well as nonsensical tactical decisions - tick.

Section of fanbase blame injuries and glazers for constant mediocrity on the pitch and shout down anyone questioning the manager - tick.

As manager, never take responsibility and start blaming outside factors as reason for the shiteness - tick.

Achieve papering over the crack victories in the most unconvincing manner against rubbish opposition - tick.

receive first hammering by fierce rival in spectacular fashion around autumn-winter - tick.

Gary Neville finally realises maybe the manager, players and tactics are a bit shite and gives 35 minute speech on why - tick.

This made me chuckle, so true.

OrcaFat

Get away.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’m open to a new DoF but why do people keep throwing Mitchell’s name around? He’s not the best out there
If the rumours of the Ratcliffe deal are true he’s buying 25% of the club, there’s nothing about actual investment in the club. Mitchell is free which is exactly why he’d come in. It’ll be packaged as a new era but it’s all about the cost.

SirMattBugsby

There are pros to Ten Haag but the things that are inexcusable are -

1) Style of football - Does anyone like this football? Its dull and boring. No top team plays like this. The only difference between Ten Haag and Ole is that Ten Haag presses high and Ole formed a low/mid block. Either way its win the ball and wack it to our quick forwards. Thats it. Thats the plan.
2) The recruitment is just dogsht. He has no excuses. Yeah laugh at buying Maguire for 80 mill but Antony is worse. How Ten Haag thought it was a genius plan to buy him I'll never know. Then add Mount. Buy a player for 55 mill give him the number 7 shirt and then realize you don't know where to play him. Ambrabat is sht. Onana was not needed. Casemiro past it. Hojlund is too young. Its so fkn obvious a 10 year old could tell you it wasn't a good idea. I think Ten Haag will end up wining shitest recruitment award and that takes some doing.
Recruitment shouldn't be the responsibility of a first-team coach. Yes, he can have a say in it but that's not his job. He can suggest Antony but any half-competent scouting department would have multiple choices for that profile of player. Our club doesn't.

Our recruitment is based on the Twitter interactions and shirt sales it will generate. Zero scouting, zero long-term vision, zero tactical considerations. Commercial club.

croadyman

Good coaches find a way, the state of the club doesn't help him. But ffs his in-game management and talent ID are abysmal.
Yeah he looks totally lost,wouldn't mind if this was just happening against the best teams then would give him more time. Unfortunately that's not the case and we are being outplayed by most of the league. Only reason we aren't lower is due to some teams not taking their chances. The thought of him taking us to Anfield on December 17 gives you nightmares doesn't it.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If the rumours of the Ratcliffe deal are true he’s buying 25% of the club, there’s nothing about actual investment in the club. Mitchell is free which is exactly why he’d come in. It’ll be packaged as a new era but it’s all about the cost.
From that angle you might be on to something but from my perspective there’s no evidence to suggest he will do anything any better or indeed any differently

SirMattBugsby

If he really wants to play without Bruno sometimes, he can start by resting him on Wednesday. If the team does well, it’s a possibility to reward the guys who come in and let them keep their place. He could be phased into a rotation player over a few weeks, imo. But the players who come in have to deliver and they probably won’t.
Yes, I would like to see the midfield and attack he started against Palace in the cup. Probably our best performance this season: it's not saying much, but atleast we had patterns of play.

OrcaFat

Yes, I would like to see the midfield and attack he started against Palace in the cup. Probably our best performance this season: it's not saying much, but atleast we had patterns of play.
I’d be happy with that. It will be a tougher game than Palace and we probably shouldn’t expect the same outcomes. More than happy to try it though.