Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 478 50.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 469 49.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

saivet

Howe has an actual footballing structure and a settled culture at the club though.

Howe would be doing about as well as Ten Hag if he was here instead, I think.
Didn't Howe take over a team that was in the relegation zone off the back of the ownership of Mike Ashley. Sure there was an overhaul in the structure but he took over largely the same squad Steve Bruce had. I don't think you can even say their spending has been outlandish either. The still have the likes of Almiron, Joelinton and Longstaff getting plenty of minutes.

Eddy_JukeZ

Worst start to a season in 51 years.

I can't believe how bad his management has been since the cup final. Beyond disastrous.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
The player power here is ridiculous. I'd keep ten Hag and get rid of problematic players and wait until the ownership situation stabilizes. Sacking ten Hag will achieve nothing but satisfy the fans needs for catharsis. Club will still be rotten. Players will suck once they decide to power trip on the new manager. Glazers will be at the helm.

Keep him for now. We must break this constant cycle.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Want to know what's crazy about the £400m spent? We got rid of Ragnick's talent ID because this guy reportedly didn't want to work with/Ragnick's consultancy
Rangnick talent ID'd fecking Marcel Sabitzer. Just because one coach is shite it doesn't make the previous far worse coach any better.

It's a shame that Mount played quite well while his teammates were playing shite and quite shite while his teammates were playing well. We can ignore the stuff post 3-0 I suppose as they've all been shite but I was hopeful for a brief time there.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Tonight has been the worst performance I've ever seen in 25 years supporting this club.

slored1

Do you guys think he gave up on his principles after losing to Brentford last season? And since then he is just trying to implement something completely new which he has not done before? Have no other idea how we can look so shite after he has been working with this squad for a year and something now. I have no clue how, who or why would anyone try to solve this if we sack EtH.

Robbie Boy

I can’t fault fans going and supporting the team, what do you expect them to do? Boo from the first whistle? Bring white flags? I’m expecting a pretty hefty booing at this final whistle
I think it encompasses the broad range of fans, not just match going fans.

Our fans get far too obsessive and weird about managers; primarily Jose and Ole. They defend them to the hilt and let standards slide just so 'their man' may one day be vindicated. I would rather a proper footballing structure was put in place and we cycle through managers until we find the right one. They're merely employees of the club, but our fanbase has built little cults for some of our post-Fergie failures.

Jeffthered

This is as bad as anything under OGS or Mourinho. And that was pretty bad in the end. He's lost those players. He cannot inspire them.

gaffs

Howe has an actual footballing structure and a settled culture at the club though.

Howe would be doing about as well as Ten Hag if he was here instead, I think.
There was no settled culture when he took charge. Bottom of the league with a far inferior squad than United have ever had.

Good coaching, a defined system, improvement of existing players and good recruitment has got them to where they are now.

So easy to blame having a crappy director of football and crap owners, but Ten Hag got what so many mangers would die for - the ability to bring in players he has hand selected. No other manager in Prem history has gone back to his old club and brought in so many players. And he has failed to get a tune out of them.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Again this needs to be said that Ange has Tottenham top of the league after losing their best player. We have gone backwards to the point we are worse than the end of Ole’s tenure.
It took Newcastle only one year of good investment to become a top 4 team and now they're better than us.

United fans : "You need to give the managers 3 years at least and billions of pounds to change the entire squad before you ask for results or good football. Fergie was crap in his first 5 years..blah blah blah".
They both prioritised players who can keep the under pressure, play in tight spaces, carry the ball, etc. Same with Arsenal (even though they just got a bit of a humbling).

One day we'll get it right. We have to. We can't keep ignoring/failing to identify press resistant players forever.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I just can't see any way he meaningfully arrests this slide.

Cheers for last season and all that, but the bloke is so out of his depth, and his transfers for the most part have been absolutely appalling. I don't think there is a worse right winger in an top league in Europe then Anthony.

He goes, and don't get in a caretaker or interim or anything - our bunch of cnuts won't remotely respect that. Problem is I have no idea who would take this job right now, so maybe you'd have to go for a Potter or something, which would probably be equally shite - but there is at least a chance he could get us playing decent football.

delerium

Too many ETH investments are flops. Hojlund is not the high profile striker we needed, Antony.. less said the better. ETH has to carry responsibility here for those bad overpaid transfers.

What a sad state of affairs has the post-SAF tenure been...

Skills

Snitch
I think it encompasses the broad range of fans, not just match going fans.

Our fans get far too obsessive and weird about managers; primarily Jose and Ole. They defend them to the hilt and let standards slide just so 'their man' may one day be vindicated. I would rather a proper footballing structure was put in place and we cycle through managers until we find the right one. They're merely employees of the club, but our fanbase has built little cults for some of our post-Fergie failures.
Yup been saying this for years.

gaffs

This is as bad as anything under OGS or Mourinho. And that was pretty bad in the end. He's lost those players. He cannot inspire them.
He may be a good manager. But he isn't getting a tune out of this team.

The only reason i think he should stay is that he is signed so many lemons that no other manager will want to take on.

Robbie Boy

Would a better structure have kept Mourinho, Ole, Ragnick employed. Have those respective managers moved to other clubs and amassed success ?

The criticism of the structure is perfectly valid but it doesn't pacify what cannot be described as anything other than poor management. What Eriks struggling with is not structure, it is his responsibilities to coach and direct the team. The struggle is from his tactical approach and all the elements that concern the managers role to develop the team.

Believe me most of my posts under the newbie system was predicted towards criticism of Murtough and hierarchy but it was relatively minute amongst others last season. So if the overwhelming majority of the forum was passive in critiquing the structure last season when we had cup success and a top four finish, it cannot be used as an excuse to diminish the manager failing on a grand scale. This is all on Eth, he was successful last season he's failing this season.
If we had a proper footballing structure we wouldn't have hired a past it Jose or Ole, for starters.

And yes, ETH is shit. The two co-exist.

RedStarUnited

Want to know what's crazy about the £400m spent? We got rid of Ragnick's talent ID because this guy reportedly didn't want to work with/Ragnick's consultancy
The actual signings might have been bad but the type of signings he said we needed was right. We needed athletic quick strong players and we signed Mount, Antony etc

D-o-m-i-n-i-k

The player power here is ridiculous. I'd keep ten Hag and get rid of problematic players and wait until the ownership situation stabilizes. Sacking ten Hag will achieve nothing but satisfy the fans needs for catharsis. Club will still be rotten. Players will suck once they decide to power trip on the new manager. Glazers will be at the helm.

Keep him for now. We must break this constant cycle.
Player power????

If the results are terrible then we need to see at least progress with the playing style....his football idea is worse than the football of Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Rangnick and Solskjaer.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Don’t even think ETH lays into them. They never give him any response the following games. Same crap performances

Lee565

Yeah, he's done at this point, this feeling like the end ole tenure with these lifeless heavy thrashings

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That was sus right from the start.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
This has pretty much been every performance this season
No.
In every bad game we had you could grab a straw. Bad referees, bad luck, or whatever.

Tonight EVERY SINGLE PLAYER gave 0/10 performance! Starter and sub!

TsuWave

Rangnick talent ID'd fecking Marcel Sabitzer. Just because one coach is shite it doesn't make the previous far worse coach any better.
I'm not speaking of Ragnick in a coaching capacity. He reportedly recommended some really good players to the club, Gvardiol, Enzo, Alvarez included

lsd

The Oracle
We all fell for it, we were bluffed by him, the media, and his time at Ajax. Also if we didn't hire him for his philosophy at Ajax then why did we?

We certainly didn't all fall for it, unfortunately a loud majority fell for it and got him in.

foolsgold

Really wanted him to succeed but it's not going to happen, we can talk about ownership all we want but the glazers don't excuse fundamental faults in the team. There's no style, no plan, no fight. 18 months in and it's worse than it ever was under Ole or Ralf. Time to go.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Manager isn’t important. He’s there to coach the team. If he does well, keep if not don’t keep. This club’s obsession with the manager kills us.

saivet

Don't worry lads, we have Luton at home soon. The turn around begins then.

Rabbiz

Sack him. Get Roy Keane in as caretaker. Burn the shop. Get rid of every player. Start again.

kentafuji

Think he is done now. Cant see it turning around.

Just dont think he will get sacked though, dont think the upper management care enough and therein lies the problem

rooney2009

A lot of things I can accept from him but why Mason Mount just why for 55mil
I just don’t understand

Castia

It’s not a blip it’s being going on for months. We scrapped through last season and now the luck has run out

rajds89

Surely there isn’t anyone still thinking this fraud is the right man for the job.