Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 481 50.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 469 49.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Oranges038

We literally finished bottom of group under SAF consisting of Benfica, Villareal and Lille. The other time we finished 3rd in group consisting of Basel, Benfica and Otelul Galati ffs.
Won the league cup that year and it kick started a whole new era of success.

That second one, got totally schooled by Bilbao in the EL knockouts.

yfoFC

If someone like you was in charge, though, Moyes would have completed his 6 years contract.
And he might have become the next Fergie as intended seeing what he did with west ham a couple of seasons ago especially if we actually did back him financially

That's actually a positive for me, thank you ;)

mustaine

Compare ETH's first 18 months to Fergie'e first 18 months if you want to actually be fair

Who would you keep and who would you sack?
See I knew his was coming, Fergie was building a foundation. Don’t see that with ETH, maybe I’m wrong but he’s generally signed pretty bad players, I don’t know how he wants to play and he seems to sorely lack man management skills. I just don’t see him going anywhere.

But you know hindsight is 20/20 - you can’t really point out the early Fergie era and compare it, I along with most United fans will always find positives there. Having said that, I don’t really see any now but hopefully he turns things around (if he gets time).

yfoFC

Here's another dose of reality for you.

We've played 17 games and lost 9. Now, is that realistic enough or do I add in the goal difference?
Before you do that though, could you answer a quick question for me

ETH first 18 months vs Fergie first 18 months, who are you keeping and who are you sacking?

Answer realistically please ;)

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Your posts lack objectivity but they are hilariously deluded. I think the optimism is admirable to some degree but you have to weigh up both sides of things even with your level of buoyancy.
Man's clearly under the influence of at least 1, probably more, substances of questionable origin.

And that's the good case scenario.

Rightnr

ETH first 18 months vs Fergie first 18 months, who are you keeping and who are you sacking?

I live in the present, my guy. This is not the 80s, it's a world of high-level professionalism, big money and in terms of football, behemoth clubs.

United is one of those behemoths because of what the gaffer did in his 27-year stint but harking back to that time reminds me of the Brexit lemmings who wanted a return to the old glory days.

Castia

9th loss of the season. More loses than wins.

Out of the League Cup and about to go out of the CL. Nothing short of a complete disaster

Cerberus

Exactly.. the problem we have is that of the mind and that is not so easy to fix even after 18months

He needs more time, I swear he does
Why do you trust him to fix it though? What have you seen to show he can patch up a broken dressing room, one where many of these are his signings?

yfoFC

You're embarrassing yourself (although that doesn't seem to phase you, as you keep doing it time and time again).

OGS was a clown but we barely improved after he was sacked and still finished 6th and our fans were more than displeased.

Arteta finished 8th twice and then proceeded to bottle 4th to Spuds. If we allow this kind of nonsense at our club, we deserve to keep getting bantered, as delusional takes like yours blind the fanbase to how much of a shit show we're seeing develop in real time.

But hey ho, at least you might get your wish and we finish mid-table this season, so we're truly set on the path of finishing 5th in two years' time
You actually really think Arteta is a bad manager.. no wonder we don't get along, you have no patience for anything other than instant success, Pep is the only manager that can satisfy a fan like you truly

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Fergie lost to Pep the two times they met and he lost 6-1 to a City team sans Pep

Imagine the two combined, can you tell me the frequency of loss Fergie will receive from current Pep based on the above please?
:D

What are you on, Ole won against Pep twice. What does that mean? Nothing.

Fact is Ferguson lost once 6-1 against City in how many years. As 10 men.
ETH has already shipped 6 & 3 goals against City in less than 1 year.

It's perplexing people are comparing Ferguson to ETH, in bad situation but never in success situations.
How many PL titles has/will ETH win? as we are comparing Ferguson UCL group stage situations let's also comparing Ferguson winnings. It's only fair

Irwin99

Not often i'm pleased to see an international break coming but beat Luton and then it's another two weeks closer to getting the injured players back.

In the short term he needs to find enough wins and points to get to January, get rid of Sancho and possibly Varane if he wants out, bring in an actually good signing or two to help out in our many problem positions and get us playing good football again.

Long term he needs to be building a much stronger squad. Even the players that played well tonight such as Maguire, Evans, and McTominay are players that should have no future at the club and it's sad but true indictment of our squad and injury situation when people are hoping Evans isn't out for too long.

Woziak

To who? We've no money to sack him or hire anyone else.
Anyone right now, he’s now fallen out with Varane, who’s never falling out with any Manager. Assuming he loses at least another 1 in CL and 5 in Pl before year end thats 15 defeats, goals conceded is the worst in decades and now he’s losing to teams in Europe that would struggle in the championship. .

I’d seriously pay him off the £15m and go get Zidane on a temp contract, he’s got Varane and Casemiro as players he trusts For 6 months Zidane might be interested on an interim basis, if not I might even go completely left field and try Didier Deschamps who will instantly improve this rabble.

yfoFC

You could almost say that our manager should have set us differently, right "bro"?
You could almost say 3 of your players shouldn't be actively committing howlers especially when their job is to defend and not concede goals but here they are doing the exact opposite of their job description but yet you leave the employees actively doing the opposite of their job mandate to hound the CEO who has nothing to do with their specific job niche and then pat yourself on the back for thinking you are making an iota of a goddamn sense when you are just fooling yourself especially with that absolutely pathetic attempt at sarcasm at the end

What complete and utter drivel you just spouted

Woziak

Not often i'm pleased to see an international break coming but beat Luton and then it's another two weeks closer to getting the injured players back.

In the short term he needs to find enough wins and points to get to January, get rid of Sancho and possibly Varane if he wants out, bring in an actually good signing or two to help out in our many problem positions and get us playing good football again.

Long term he needs to be building a much stronger squad. Even the players that played well tonight such as Maguire, Evans, and McTominay are players that should have no future at the club and it's sad but true indictment of our squad and injury situation when people are hoping Evans isn't out for too long.
He can’t be trusted with signings, right now he needs to prove that he’s a top class coach?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Stylistically the Best performance in a while, probably all season in fact

Several chances created, didn't deserve to lose: 2.2 v 3.4 xG

Abysmal officials shafted us completely and some shit defending from Dalot/Varane threw the game away

Certainly not the night to be calling for Ten Hag's head

Rightnr

You actually really think Arteta is a bad manager.. no wonder we don't get along, you have no patience for anything other than instant success, Pep is the only manager that can satisfy a fan like you truly
I think he's an overrated jack-in-a-box who won't win feck all with the very expensive team he himself has assembled.

You seem to assign standards of mid-table clubs to the so-called behemoths I mentioned and this is where we disagree. If you buy Havertz (or Mount) for dumb money and don't even know where to use him and also fail to get results, you should be out on your arse at this level.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Please stop comparing ten hag or trying to make comparisons with Sir Alex Ferguson. He’s not fit enough to make him a cup of tea

Thom Merrilin

We played some great stuff in the first half until things happened that were out of EtH's control. Not sure how he can be blamed for the loss today.

yfoFC

I’ve not topped up my ignore list in a while and tonight has really helped highlight the thickest of the thick cnuts on the forum, so in that sense I’m grateful.
Another one who thinks he's smart but is actually the opposite :lol:

yfoFC

You know there's specific places (hotels) for this activity you're performing in a public space? We don't all need to see it.
I beg to differ, you all need to see what true loyalty looks like and not the pansy dick riding of the mighty and successful you all call being a fan these days

ti vu

We played some great stuff in the first half until things happened that were out of EtH's control. Not sure how he can be blamed for the loss today.
Game management is still on the manager. Went down to 10 men can't excuse how bad we defended this game. We even got back to lead 3-2 with the penalty.

Organized defending, we're about the worst level right now. Man marking is all over the place.

Rightnr

Anyone right now, he’s now fallen out with Varane, who’s never falling out with any Manager. Assuming he loses at least another 1 in CL and 5 in Pl before year end thats 15 defeats, goals conceded is the worst in decades and now he’s losing to teams in Europe that would struggle in the championship. .

I’d seriously pay him off the £15m and go get Zidane on a temp contract, he’s got Varane and Casemiro as players he trusts For 6 months Zidane might be interested on an interim basis, if not I might even go completely left field and try Didier Deschamps who will instantly improve this rabble.
Zidane is not coming, no way. Doesn't speak English and has a Pep philosophy in picking the clubs he goes to.

I agree on getting rid though. We've had some easy fixtures as of late and once the difficulty goes up closer to the mean (forget Liverpool, think Newcastle away), the 'real' form of this season will shine bright like EtH's head on a sunny day in Manchester.

Caellum

When a poster uses the Fergie in the 80s comparison followed by a Class of 92 reference in the context of the unfolding mess with ETH, it suggests either severe delusion or, more likely, an opposition fan taking the piss out of our fanbase’s tendency towards nostalgia.
I have been watching United since the 1960s, I was there when we were relegated to Division 2 and continued to follow United home and away until the late 90s when work and family meant I could only attend home games, don't you ever question my support for United I have watched more live games than you will ever see and not just through the glory years, I was there at Sir Alex's first game and his last. I see the same character in ETH as I saw in Sir Alex, it's people like you who would have sacked SAF 2 years in after he won nothing finishing 11th in his first 2 seasons followed by 12th in his 3rd, 5 years SAF took to win the league, ETH team is already performing better, but it would naive of anyone not to think he has a hell of a long way to go but I have no doubt, none what so ever than he can get there.

If your happy with the manager merry go round then your the one on crack, it never works, the successful managers are the ones given time or able to inherit a decent side, it took Klopp 5 seasons to win the league at Liverpool, ETH has been successful with every club he's been involved with he has already been more successful in his first season than any Manager other than Mourinho. He took the worst United team I've seen in 50 years (an that include's Tommy Docerty's relegated reds of 74) of watching United and took them to 2nd place, and won the league cup, that's enough to know what he's capable of. A genuine football fan would know you can't turn a team as poor as United where in 2021-22 in to champions in one season and only a crack head would think otherwise.

yfoFC

That's nonsensical, if being a top team is periodic to how a team performs throughout parts of a season then there's a glaring issue that your sentiment doesn't cover for which is consistency. United finished 3rd last season, invested on top of that milestone and despite injuries haven't been able to rejuvenate good performances which is compounding the poor results.

If a team is a top team when it suits, than you can't hold the players or manager under any accountability, the agents of the players and manager can impose a pendulum effect theory into their contracts absolving them of any reasonable review. Ridiculous.
This is the same as Liverpool who almost won a quadrable just months prior, could you compare both teams to each other and say they are the same with a straight face?

You are just pulling your panties in a twist for no reason (or how do you say the phrase, forgive me, I'm not English)

Basically, football is variable and if you want to treat a team as the same regardless of context then you are just going to end up making more fallacies and no sense

UnitedRepublic

Compare ETH's first 18 months to Fergie'e first 18 months if you want to actually be fair

Who would you keep and who would you sack?
You can’t really say that since Fergie is the reason why Manchester United is what it is today. He came when we were a good club but he turned us into what we are today and what the brand of Manchester United is.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Did he say anything about the referee? It's unprecedented, the amount of shit decisions that we've got this season.

yfoFC

More time and another £400m so we can lose 5 games out of 6 in the Europa league group stage in a couple years.
Or... He could become the next Fergie

Shocking I know, but the future doesn't only consist of negative outcomes like you lot choose to believe

yfoFC

Will you still say that if he’s lost 15 or 16 matches before Xmas ?
On the basis of the first 40mins, there's a higher chance of him getting us into shape if we can fix our lack of confidence so I stand by ETH all the way

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You guys are just ingenious I swear with your nonsensical comparisons

You compare us to top teams this season when we are currently not a top team as of this present moment

And before you laugh off what I'm saying, it's the same as comparing Liverpool of last season to Liverpool that almost won the quadrable the season prior.

And this is me comparing the same team to themselves just months apart so you can see how dumb your comparison actually is

Man Utd is not a top team as of this present moment so of course we caved after going a man down because we lack confidence. It's that effing simple
Why are we not a top team, or anything near even the third best team as we were last season? Look at our records, our league and CL standings, our goal difference or even our performances. This is not anywhere near the required standards.

You call everyone else disingenuous or their arguments a fallacy, but the fact that you seem incapable our even putting any blame on the managers shoulders tells me you're just not even worth listening to.

You say we are a team lacking confidence but we weren't lacking confidence in the first half, were we? Why are we lacking confidence? Is it normal for a team with the calibre of our players to lack confidence for this long? And is it not the managers job to instill belief in his team? As many have pointed out Copenhagen came out in the second half and sat off for 30 minutes and completely left us off the hook, even let us get back ahead in the game. It was comfortable for a while. But your conclusion is that we're lacking in confidence?

Its besides the point anyway as many have rightly pointed out that being bottom of this group after 4 games is terrible. You simply can't escape that fact.

Preach brother

These fans either have short memories or are just masochists that enjoy whipping themselves up into a frenzy for the slightest excuse.

It honestly baffles me
Slightest excuse? I think we're well beyond that now. Talk about disingenuous arguments and fallacy...

The fallacy in your argument is you are importing said hypothetical tactician in for just this game alone without the said tactician having the weight and burden of

Numerous injuries
Howlers from experienced players he should be relying on
Ref and VAR seeming to have something against you personally
And most importantly, a crisis of lack of confidence

You guys are just addressing symptoms and shadows instead of treating the disease and looking at things holistically
What are you on about? Yes I am talking about this game. Including the injuries, the VAR decisions etc, I said "with 10 men" so I am clearly talking about this game in it's exact context. And I believe a good tactician keeps them at bay with the players we have. I thought they were very poor tonight compared to other games they've played in the group. Even with 10 men, it was possible to get through this. I'm not buying the "lack of confidence" excuse because that's not what I saw tonight. I think our players knew they were better than them and I expect our coaches told them the same at half time.

Exactly.. the problem we have is that of the mind and that is not so easy to fix even after 18months

He needs more time, I swear he does
Fix after 18 months? Were you saying this in the summer or last season? You're moving the goalposts here because literally nobody thought, coming into this season, the job was to try and build confidence and heal minds. We should have been moving forward from last season. We brought in another half a team of players and yet we're still talking about healing. If this is such an issue then why is he not playing the newer signings that didn't feature under Ole and don't need healing? Reguilon, Amrabat, Mount, Antony on the bench. Multiple CL winner Varane on the bench... or does he need healing too?

If their minds are so broken then I'd say that's an indictment of ETH in itself.

yfoFC

At least Fergie was making changes behind the scenes and creating a new culture. Ten Hag is torpedoing our season with his stubborn refusal to change his shite tactics
And of course you run into intangibles of which you have no clue what you are talking about in actual fact :lol:

So based on that, I summise you have no clue what you are talking about at all in any aspect on this ETH issue, thanks for clearing that up ;)

yfoFC

Yeah, just beautiful. You do realise we were playing FC Copenhagen don't you. Their entire Market value is worth less than what we usually pay for one player. We spent 200m on players this summer, they spent 20m. We were leading 2-0 when we went a man down, yet managed to lose 4-3. Beautiful.
And how much have Brighton spent on buying players yet they whoop the asses of those who spend millions more in comparison

The money argument is just a dumb one

Tom Van Persie

No relation
First 40 minutes I thought we played very well and it was the most comfortable we've looked in possession in a long time.

yfoFC

Oh no, the players have clearly downed their tools and don't like the manager!

And yeah I know he's a player he just bought but he also bought others that are stinking up the bench so I'll milk this as much as I can thank you very much

yfoFC

Your posts lack objectivity but they are hilariously deluded. I think the optimism is admirable to some degree but you have to weigh up both sides of things even with your level of buoyancy.
I've criticized ETH in my posts when I noted he has some learning to do and naive blind spots to fill

I also criticized his soft approach towards speaking on VAR and officials

It's not my fault you didn't read those