Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 536 53.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 474 46.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

IWat

And how much have Brighton spent on buying players yet they whoop the asses of those who spend millions more in comparison

The money argument is just a dumb one
Because they're a well run club who have hired good managers who fit what they're trying to achieve and buy players who match that style?

It's dumb because it nukes your argument?

Woziak

Stylistically the Best performance in a while, probably all season in fact

Several chances created, didn't deserve to lose: 2.2 v 3.4 xG

Abysmal officials shafted us completely and some shit defending from Dalot/Varane threw the game away

Certainly not the night to be calling for Ten Hag's head
Listen most united fans are 50/50 on ETH, because of his stubbornness, yes we played better today against a team that would struggle to get in the top 3/4 of the championship.

ETH has lost 9 out of 17 let that sink in, it shows a naive attitude as a top level manager, here’s a guy that loses a CL SF when he’s 2-0 up and loses a CL group game when he’s 2-0 all be it with only men 10 against 11.

He’s just making too many mistakes with his starting selections and his in game substitutes. I keep saying when people say we have to keep him, when do you change your mind when he’s lost 11, 12, 13 or maybe 16 games this season which could all come before Xmas?

ETH team has regressed not improved and he’s spent £170m this year so yes it’s his fault.

He wanted to sign Mason Mount as a 6, that should tell you everything about ETH this season, he’s clearly lost the plot?

He actually got rid of most of the teams energy from last year by selling Fred, and releasing Sabitzer and Weghorst, all three worked very hard, he’s still got DVB not even making the squad, again another player with energy.

He sold Janes Garner last year whose now playing well and another potentially elite midfielder with high energy, watching Amrabat, Eriksen and Mctominay is just embarrassing right now, they are all good when they have the ball but not one of them is a terrier in the midfield, we are desperate for a midfield
Maestro and a ferocious ball winner.

But then again the club is desperate for many things right now, Owners, players, leadership, a little bit of luck but a manager who has the full support of all his players and I’m not sure ETH has that anymore ?

yfoFC

See I knew his was coming, Fergie was building a foundation. Don’t see that with ETH, maybe I’m wrong but he’s generally signed pretty bad players, I don’t know how he wants to play and he seems to sorely lack man management skills. I just don’t see him going anywhere.

But you know hindsight is 20/20 - you can’t really point out the early Fergie era and compare it, I along with most United fans will always find positives there. Having said that, I don’t really see any now but hopefully he turns things around (if he gets time).
So is it not better if we actually back him now that he's here for the time being rather than moaning and calling for his head?

Also, check out Ramus words on the dressing room being behind him so it's seems to me like ETH is also building things behind the scene (confirmed by Ramus saying he pays attention and works on even the smallest detail) and so if we can just get behind he and the team during this period, will that not make more sense

I'm actually pleading now, let's give this man time to right the ship as he's shown us recently and in this game that he can have us playing good football, just give him room to breath please

Last edited:

yfoFC

I live in the present, my guy. This is not the 80s, it's a world of high-level professionalism, big money and in terms of football, behemoth clubs.

United is one of those behemoths because of what the gaffer did in his 27-year stint but harking back to that time reminds me of the Brexit lemmings who wanted a return to the old glory days.
Yeah, I'm done with you. You lack even the most basic of anything solid to you, you are a plastic fan

Redstain

This is the same as Liverpool who almost won a quadrable just months prior, could you compare both teams to each other and say they are the same with a straight face?

You are just pulling your panties in a twist for no reason (or how do you say the phrase, forgive me, I'm not English)

Basically, football is variable and if you want to treat a team as the same regardless of context then you are just going to end up making more fallacies and no sense
It's not the same with Liverpool, they throughout Klopp's tenure have consistently been a top team. In almost a decade they have only finished outside a UCL spot twice (once in his first season) and have won a multitude of accolades in-between. Even with Liverpool's poor results last season, many correctly predicted them to regalvanize this campaign, because they are a top team.

Context is obscured when your rhetoric is fallible, your essentially saying a team can be both mid table and a top team in conjunction with one another. The only aspect that equivalates variance in football is instability which evidently is why Erik has struggled this season.

NZT-One

Yeah, I'm done with you. You lack even the most basic of anything solid to you, you are a plastic fan
Wow. You are really weird. But that happens every once in a while. Somebody comes in, acts as if anybody else is blind and all criticism is over the top. Usually those guys are gone within a few days, lets hope that trend continues.

Btw: I even agree with some of your points, but as I said, the way you present it is really weird.

yfoFC

Why do you trust him to fix it though? What have you seen to show he can patch up a broken dressing room, one where many of these are his signings?
Because he turned things around last season and ended our trophy drought and would have won another if not for coming up against the best team in the world

Because the players are behind him (Ramus an insider's words) and I feel they are just lacking confidence at the moment plus the United team of majority of the last decade seem to have a mentality problem and this precedes ETH

Because in this game for 40mins and a fair few after that, we looked like a team

Because he is a brilliant man and who from all accounts considers even the smallest detail and genuinely cares about the club and players (the speech at our final league game of the season before man city fa cup final game and his handling of Sancho last season.. same Sancho is a problem right now but I feel that is Sancho's true nature even from his Dortmund days)

In all this I'm not saying the man is perfect as he does have flaws and naive blind spots but I feel he has more positive to him than negative if you can look at things without the passion and heat of this crisis we are in

And let's not forget he is an old man relatively with his first top club experience so he is learning on the job how to handle a top team and United have had baggage that precedes him and he is the one to clear up a decade's worth of mess in just less than 2 years and without top team experience before, that's impossible

I'm just asking for us all to breath and look at things without emotion clouding our eyes, I beg of you all, let's give this man a fair chance and try and understand why he is struggling as of this moment

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Wow. You are really weird. But that happens every once in a while. Somebody comes in, acts as if anybody else is blind and all criticism is over the top. Usually those guys are gone within a few days, lets hope that trend continues.

Btw: I even agree with some of your points, but as I said, the way you present it is really weird.
Definitely suspicious. I'm not one to go all Sherlock Holmes on some of these guys but before today's game, he'd literally last posted more than six months ago.

That screams oppo WUM to me but at this point, this is not even the worst option.

And for the record, I may be going a bit over the top but I've seen this play out too many times in the last 10 years to hold out false hope. EtH is losing so many games, it might become a Potter scenario where it's impossible for him to continue. His saving grace might be that we haven't drawn a single game this season and 1 win in 3 is better than 2 draws.

yfoFC

:D

What are you on, Ole won against Pep twice. What does that mean? Nothing.

Fact is Ferguson lost once 6-1 against City in how many years. As 10 men.
ETH has already shipped 6 & 3 goals against City in less than 1 year.

It's perplexing people are comparing Ferguson to ETH, in bad situation but never in success situations.
How many PL titles has/will ETH win? as we are comparing Ferguson UCL group stage situations let's also comparing Ferguson winnings. It's only fair
I don't know if you're the one I quoted while responding there but I was obviously following the stupid logic being given in that post and the result can only be a stupid post as well so you just replied to a stupid post deliberately done by me my friend

Redstain

Definitely suspicious. I'm not one to go all Sherlock Holmes on some of these guys buy before today's game, he'd literally last posted more than six months ago.

That screams oppo WUM to me but at this point, this is not even the worst option.
Definitely a WUM. Even the more ardent positive posters have areas where there's a balanced argument to contemplate criticism for the topic and all the while still leaning towards being optimistic. Not something I necessarily agree with but it's respectable.

yfoFC

Not often i'm pleased to see an international break coming but beat Luton and then it's another two weeks closer to getting the injured players back.

In the short term he needs to find enough wins and points to get to January, get rid of Sancho and possibly Varane if he wants out, bring in an actually good signing or two to help out in our many problem positions and get us playing good football again.

Long term he needs to be building a much stronger squad. Even the players that played well tonight such as Maguire, Evans, and McTominay are players that should have no future at the club and it's sad but true indictment of our squad and injury situation when people are hoping Evans isn't out for too long.
A man that sees the scope of our problems

yfoFC

I think he's an overrated jack-in-a-box who won't win feck all with the very expensive team he himself has assembled.

You seem to assign standards of mid-table clubs to the so-called behemoths I mentioned and this is where we disagree. If you buy Havertz (or Mount) for dumb money and don't even know where to use him and also fail to get results, you should be out on your arse at this level.
Fergie also bought Bebe, Obertan and Djemba Djemba.. Oh no Fergie's a fraud! :rolleyes:

Like I said, I'm done with you o ye plastic fan

yfoFC

I have been watching United since the 1960s, I was there when we were relegated to Division 2 and continued to follow United home and away until the late 90s when work and family meant I could only attend home games, don't you ever question my support for United I have watched more live games than you will ever see and not just through the glory years, I was there at Sir Alex's first game and his last. I see the same character in ETH as I saw in Sir Alex, it's people like you who would have sacked SAF 2 years in after he won nothing finishing 11th in his first 2 seasons followed by 12th in his 3rd, 5 years SAF took to win the league, ETH team is already performing better, but it would naive of anyone not to think he has a hell of a long way to go but I have no doubt, none what so ever than he can get there.

If your happy with the manager merry go round then your the one on crack, it never works, the successful managers are the ones given time or able to inherit a decent side, it took Klopp 5 seasons to win the league at Liverpool, ETH has been successful with every club he's been involved with he has already been more successful in his first season than any Manager other than Mourinho. He took the worst United team I've seen in 50 years (an that include's Tommy Docerty's relegated reds of 74) of watching United and took them to 2nd place, and won the league cup, that's enough to know what he's capable of. A genuine football fan would know you can't turn a team as poor as United where in 2021-22 in to champions in one season and only a crack head would think otherwise.
God Bless you Sir, I mean that Deeply

yfoFC

You can’t really say that since Fergie is the reason why Manchester United is what it is today. He came when we were a good club but he turned us into what we are today and what the brand of Manchester United is.
I see someone doesn't know of a certain Sir Matt Bubsy

fallengt

How often we don't lose in the CL when play with a man down. I don't remember many even under SAF era.

yfoFC

If their minds are so broken then I'd say that's an indictment of ETH in itself.
Exactly why we are at loggerheads

I feel it is an indictment on the club's mishandling over the last decade rather than one man who has spent just 18 months

UnitedRepublic

I see someone doesn't know of a certain Sir Matt Bubsy
No I don’t I’m born 1994 and my brother who also is a United fan is born 1988. I can not talk about a time I haven’t lived through. I also said a good club we were not the best club then since Liverpool had more league trophies than us before Fergie.

Last edited:

Asger

Fergie also bought Bebe, Obertan and Djemba Djemba.. Oh no Fergie's a fraud! :rolleyes:

Like I said, I'm done with you o ye plastic fan
Ah yes, Bebe did cost 50m, Obertan 60m and Djemba 90m!

yfoFC

He's not in the same league as Fergie. You're doing him a disservice if you think ETH is at his level. I get trying to be positive but let's be realistic.
Was Fergie 18months in the same league as ETH 18 months I wonder :confused:

yfoFC

Because they're a well run club who have hired good managers who fit what they're trying to achieve and buy players who match that style?

It's dumb because it nukes your argument?
And United are the very definition of a badly run club using money to try and paper over cracks and the very antithesis of Brighton and this has been happening for about a decade before ETH ever arrived and yet you expect miracles from him and to tidy up a decade's worth of mess in less than two years even though he has already performed a miracle by taking our very worst team ever to third and two finals and ending a 6 year trophy drought

You lot are just slimy and ungrateful

peridigm

Why is this guy such a fraud? I wanted to and I liked him but his decisions just leave me no other choice but to pray for his departure.

LvG vibes.
Yeah, can't be much longer. So many things going wrong this season. Oh well. There is always next season.

BorisManUtd

His position could be safe until the ownership situation gets cleared up/Ratcliffe comes in. As frustrating as this season has been so far, still hope it can get better. I'm sceptical but let's see.

Shaw coming back soon - he should improve our defence if he can get back to last season form. Amad should be back soon as well and perhaps he can impress, not that I'm relying on it of course. Have to improve our results and then with Casemiro and Martinez back in January and possibly signing 1-2 players, that could push us into right direction and make for a better 2nd half of the season. Won't be surprised if it doesn't go that way, but will try to be positive.

yfoFC

It's not the same with Liverpool, they throughout Klopp's tenure have consistently been a top team. In almost a decade they have only finished outside a UCL spot twice (once in his first season) and have won a multitude of accolades in-between. Even with Liverpool's poor results last season, many correctly predicted them to regalvanize this campaign, because they are a top team.

Context is obscured when your rhetoric is fallible, your essentially saying a team can be both mid table and a top team in conjunction with one another. The only aspect that equivalates variance in football is instability which evidently is why Erik has struggled this season.
Liverpool after years of having the same coach and methods went from two games away from accomplishing the quadrable to playing dogshit the very next season

But suddenly it is Haram for ETH to experience a wobble even though he is trying to correct a decade's worth of nonsense.. you guys are just being very unfair to this man

yfoFC

I don't give a flying feck if you agree with me

And news flash, I joined this forum in 2017 and I've been following it as a guest years before so don't mistake me for a newbie

I chose to remain quiet over the last couple of years except to stick up for my faves when I felt they were being harshly treated and ETH happens to be one of my faves so I am doing same as I've always done on this forum, stick up for those I believe in and I will continue to do so until I so please and that is until you lot back off of him

If not, I'm here for you all and I will never leave, you have my Word on that

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I think he’s a good coach but he shouldn’t really be allowed to make any transfer decisions as there’s no part of £85m for Antony that doesn’t feel like a kick in the teeth, especially with holes all over the squad.

Mind you if we’re going to plump for an incompetent DOF and structure it doesn’t make much sense to have ETH and would have been better to go for Poch or someone who has shown some chops for taking on a wider pool of responsibility.

As bad as results have been, I am still not ETH out, he doesn’t seem out of his depth, is handling the pressure well. My spider senses pick up a magnitude order of less incompetence than Ole.

I can’t recall us having worse luck than this in a season ever where feels like everything that can go wrong has. I’d be willing to bet if we can ride it out the fortunes will uptick at some point. There’s inevitably gonna be steaming out of the ears hysteria calling for his head, but I don’t see who comes in and makes it better.

All that said, whenever I see Antony i feel pissed off. I do reckon Mount might become useful eventually but it was an odd signing. I’d much rather get rid of Murtough and Arnold than.ETH .

To anyone who finds these sorts of posts maddening I do sympathise a bit as I remember how annoying it was when people still supported Ole when it was obvious he patently wasn’t good enough. I can’t really explain why I’m quite chilled out about ETH, instincts tell me he’ll iron it out eventually if he can weather this current storm.

yfoFC

Definitely suspicious. I'm not one to go all Sherlock Holmes on some of these guys but before today's game, he'd literally last posted more than six months ago.

And for the record, I may be going a bit over the top but I've seen this play out too many times in the last 10 years to hold out false hope. EtH is losing so many games, it might become a Potter scenario where it's impossible for him to continue. His saving grace might be that we haven't drawn a single game this season and 1 win in 3 is better than 2 draws.
Stalker alert! :eek:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Was Fergie 18months in the same league as ETH 18 months I wonder :confused:
As you keep asking the same question, Fergie took over United in November when we were 19th in the league and finished the season in 11th place. Then in his first full season he finished 2nd behind Liverpool. Does this cover your 18 months period?
Fergie got lucky afterwards as he didn’t get sacked despite bad form in the league (you know maybe because of his good first almost 2 seasons at United, because of his work behind the scenes and because of his incredible and sustained success at Aberdeen), but if you just take the first 18 months then ETH actually doesn’t compare well and that is even before taking our pathetic goals scored and goal difference into account.
I am still blindly hoping he can turn it around but so far based on his time at United unfortunately absolutely nothing points towards a positive outcome.

yfoFC

Definitely a WUM. Even the more ardent positive posters have areas where there's a balanced argument to contemplate criticism for the topic and all the while still leaning towards being optimistic. Not something I necessarily agree with but it's respectable.
There is no respectable bone in your body when you deliberately ignore me stating I have criticisms against him in multiple posts

yfoFC

No I don’t I’m born 1994 and my brother who also is a United fan is born 1988. I can not talk about a time I haven’t lived through. I also said a good club we were not the best club then since Liverpool had more league trophies than us before Fergie.
I was also born in 1994 :lol:

yfoFC

I think he’s a good coach but he shouldn’t really be allowed to make any transfer decisions as there’s no part of £85m for Antony that doesn’t feel like a kick in the teeth, especially with holes all over the squad.

Mind you if we’re going to plump for an incompetent DOF and structure it doesn’t make much sense to have ETH and would have been better to go for Poch or someone who has shown some chops for taking on a wider pool of responsibility.

As bad as results have been, I am still not ETH out, he doesn’t seem out of his depth, is handling the pressure well. My spider senses pick up a magnitude order of less incompetence than Ole.

I can’t recall us having worse luck than this in a season ever where feels like everything that can go wrong has. I’d be willing to bet if we can ride it out the fortunes will uptick at some point. There’s inevitably gonna be steaming out of the ears hysteria calling for his head, but I don’t see who comes in and makes it better.

All that said, whenever I see Antony i feel pissed off. I do reckon Mount might become useful eventually but it was an odd signing. I’d much rather get rid of Murtough and Arnold than.ETH .

To anyone who finds these sorts of posts maddening I do sympathise a bit as I remember how annoying it was when people still supported Ole when it was obvious he patently wasn’t good enough. I can’t really explain why I’m quite chilled out about ETH, instincts tell me he’ll iron it out eventually if he can weather this current storm.
I'm with you

baskinginthesun

Liverpool after years of having the same coach and methods went from two games away from accomplishing the quadrable to playing dogshit the very next season

But suddenly it is Haram for ETH to experience a wobble even though he is trying to correct a decade's worth of nonsense.. you guys are just being very unfair to this man
How is he trying to correct a decades worth of nonsense? It would appear he is adding to it. 9 losses in 15 is terrible form, you can't hide from that.

His run at the 2nd half of last season was great and I was fully on board. But, in this modern era of football results mean more than style and he's been crap at both this season. Not to mention he's had a full 11 players brought in for him. The results should be getting better, not worse.