Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 485 50.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 468 49.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

el3mel

And he might have become the next Fergie as intended seeing what he did with west ham a couple of seasons ago especially if we actually did back him financially

That's actually a positive for me, thank you ;)
Yes with anyone with time will turn into prime Ferguson. Ferguson only succeeded because he was given time.

Dannn411

To be fair yeah those minutes yesterday before the red card were probably the most coherent we have looked all season but it rings so hollow because of all the stuff that has happened before as well as the quality of opposition and the collapse after the sending off.

Rojofiam

Check the Mount thread. Has been elaborated a million times. A manager who makes Mount his priority signing in midfield when it's clear to every man and his donkey that we need a different profile of midfielder deserves no mercy as such.
Ooh sorry, I must have missed the tactical experts' analysis in the Mount thread!

Jeffthered

Liverpool had an over-the-hill Brazilian midfielder at the heart of their team that shit season. They sold him, got the hell away from Mount, signed that Hungarian kid and MacAllister and now they're back.

What's ETH's plan for our over-the-hill Brazilian midfielder he signed for a ton of money just last year and Mount whom he splurged on but doesn't know how to use?
You make a good point. ETH isn't going to do anything because he's lost. Completely lost.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Our fans just love to moan because it's what everyone else is doing

It's like they have lost the ability to look at things critically and without the heat of emotion

I know football is an emotional game but feck me, the wailing in here is just comical at this point

This game of all games should have been the one to unite us against VAR and shit refereeing but here we are having a melt down and fighting against the person we are supposed to be behind as he's the one that in this moment can change our fortune until or if he's sacked

You lot have lost a key ingredient called loyalty.
Why should we be loyal towards ETH? Hes been here one and a half season and outside of that has zero affiliation with the club. Managers and players come and go so ultimately our alliegance lies with the club itself, not the staff.

I would agree fully if i was convinced this was just a rough patch, but we have been absymal for months now with no end in sight.

DownRiver

What pisses me off so much is how much money we’ve wasted under ETH. We’ve already gone through 2 summer windows and should be almost done with building a competitive team by now, instead we are struggling to get out of the cl group stage, 8th in the premier league, out of the league cup and still losing consistently to our rivals.
We have went through 3 or so cycle of team buildings in the last 10 years, spending the same amount as City. Very bluntly, we did not spend the money wisely at all.

This cycle of team building by Ten hag as some positives such as Onana, Martinez and Hojlund. With a director of football and vision from Ratcliff, hopefully we can steer the ship in the right way before the this cycle is a complete failure.

People need to understand that a manager can be a great tactition, but awful as finding players. This is why there are dedicated people who have dedicated their full time in analysing the players and fit for the vision of the club.

This season is a right off. Just need to CL football, as this will help in acquisition of players.

Laurencio

Ten Hag's new found chipperness is pissing me off to an unreasonable degree. Be miserable dammit.

Longshanks

I'm not putting that on ETH. He has been royally screwed over in that game.

However his decision to replace Hojlund with mount was frankly amateurish. What was he trying to achieve with that? Remove our focal point who we could at least try and hit to get out and replace him with mount who did nothing.

I get Hojlund was blowing but why not bring martial on, at least martial can hold the ball up and help us get out and maybe even build a counter to find another. Mount just ran around pointlessly.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
At least there were some signs of life yesterday.

It's crunch time now, though. He'll need to get the team firing on all cylinders between now and Christmas if he hopes to keep his job. Still time to turn it around, but we absolutely need to progress in the Champions League. And we need to keep our top 5 hopes alive going into the new year.

Fooza

This can be up there with the most idiotic of comments ,well done.
Great point, love these comments that thrown out there but never backed up newbies...
it's not like one of the first priority of Pep or Klopp was to make sure those areas were filled with class players. Before eth joined our rb and lb position was bang average and inconsistent

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am not quite sure some people understand how shit our CL group is. Even Bayern is beatable, but ignore them and you have left with some of the worst teams in the competition. Bad luck is not an excuse anymore.

IncyWincySpider

I don't think it's fair to judge Ten Hag when we're losing so many games. Wait until we've won a few games in a row and judge him then.

Telsim

According to the bookies, he is now the most likely manager to get sacked next, even ahead of... Heckingbottom.

Dearg hÉireann

Bringing on Mount and taking off Rasmus while the game is 3-3 and we need a goal has to be one of the worst substitutions he's made and this from someone who was apoplectic when he brought Van De Beek on against Palace in the league. He's a fraud and he's being found out the more he tries to dig himself out. He's getting sacked as soon as this effing Ratcliffe deal goes through.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I'm still fine with ETH for now, but hearing things like Varane turning on him worries me. Varane is a genuinely world class footballer, who has been coached by some of the very best to ever do it. He's not a spoilt manchild like Sancho, or an extremely flaky player like Rashford. He's someone that for over a decade has been at the very top of his profession.

If the manager is losing players like that, and seeing the way Casemiro had been looking pre injury I fear him too, then something is amiss imo.

Herman Toothrot

The issue is how ETH set us to defend deep is not good.

As soon as we scored 3-2, Hojlund should have been subbed out for either Mount (deployed as LW) or Lindelof (switch to back 5), so Garnacho would be move up top. Garnacho doesn't do defensively to help out when we're already one man down. Individual wise, it's solely on Dalot for inept man marking; but on tactical side, ETH almost set us up defending deep like with 9 men with Garnacho on LW not knowing how to drop deep and get involved.

When Hojlund eventually got subbed off after the 3-3 equalizer, strange enough Mount got deployed as CF/false 9. The whole thing is just bizarre.
This is it

There was no doubt some bad luck last night. We actually started very well. He finally played Garnacho, Bruno and Rashford together, as I've been crying out for since Antony abandoned the ghost and stopped even pretending to be a footballer, but then the misfortune and inevitable collapse.

Even then we got back into the lead, but we didn't protect it. We played into their hands by keeping Hojlund on, but then when we needed a goal m, he took off the kid off.

It was such poor decision making.

You can blame Joel Glazer all you like, but why were the two players Ten Hag pushed for not even starting? Our transfer policy has been dogdirt, but for better or worse, it's been Ten Hag's policy.

Oldyella

Bringing on Mount and taking off Rasmus while the game is 3-3 and we need a goal has to be one of the worst substitutions he's made and this from someone who was apoplectic when he brought Van De Beek on against Palace in the league. He's a fraud and he's being found out the more he tries to dig himself out. He's getting sacked as soon as this effing Ratcliffe deal goes through.
Always a worry when the random, player out of position, subs start happening.

Gopher Brown

His substitutions are very poor. The intelligent thing to do would have been to freshen things up after we scored the third, as we’d played with 10 men for 40min at that point. He only made 3 subs when we had 10 men, one of whom was Varane in the 16th minute, but often will make 5 when we have a full team.

Hannibal and Pellestri should have come on.

sugar_kane

Another one who thinks he's smart but is actually the opposite :lol:
You’ve misunderstood me, I’m referring to the rabid ETH outers.

That said there’s still plenty of obnoxious posters on the other side of the fence.

mustaine

So is it not better if we actually back him now that he's here for the time being rather than moaning and calling for his head?

Also, check out Ramus words on the dressing room being behind him so it's seems to me like ETH is also building things behind the scene (confirmed by Ramus saying he pays attention and works on even the smallest detail) and so if we can just get behind he and the team during this period, will that not make more sense

I'm actually pleading now, let's give this man time to right the ship as he's shown us recently and in this game that he can have us playing good football, just give him room to breath please
I always support the club and while I’m not happy with him and have my doubts but when I get over the latest result I’m not calling for his head, I hope he turns it around. Changing managers hs become our thing and I hate it but he’ll be gone soon if he doesn’t show results regardless of our or the players feelings.

I’m not going to pretend to be happy with him but every game I’m hoping for that big turn around.

sugar_kane

His substitutions are very poor. The intelligent thing to do would have been to freshen things up after we scored the third, as we’d played with 10 men for 40min at that point. He only made 3 subs when we had 10 men, one of whom was Varane in the 16th minute, but often will make 5 when we have a full team.

Hannibal and Pellestri should have come on.
Honestly it’s difficult to take anyone seriously who thinks the answer when down to ten men away in a must win CL match is to throw in two barely experienced, patchy youngsters.

Not surprising, it happens all the time on this forum it’s just a bit weird and draining.

parmenio

Check the Mount thread. Has been elaborated a million times. A manager who makes Mount his priority signing in midfield when it's clear to every man and his donkey that we need a different profile of midfielder deserves no mercy as such.
Sad bit if we had signed Madison and Spurs signed Mount there would be a thread saying how crap he is and we should off signed Mount same can be said for Liverpool our big summer buy was for a player who’s best position is where he will never get played due to Bruno. Shocking signing.

PoTMS

We've managed to lose 3/4 Champions League games. We've lost to Copenhagen and Galatasaray! These are teams even the Champions League's worst teams like Celtic and Rangers would be beating.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Listen most united fans are 50/50 on ETH, because of his stubbornness, yes we played better today against a team that would struggle to get in the top 3/4 of the championship.

ETH has lost 9 out of 17 let that sink in, it shows a naive attitude as a top level manager, here’s a guy that loses a CL SF when he’s 2-0 up and loses a CL group game when he’s 2-0 all be it with only men 10 against 11.

He’s just making too many mistakes with his starting selections and his in game substitutes. I keep saying when people say we have to keep him, when do you change your mind when he’s lost 11, 12, 13 or maybe 16 games this season which could all come before Xmas?

ETH team has regressed not improved and he’s spent £170m this year so yes it’s his fault.

He wanted to sign Mason Mount as a 6, that should tell you everything about ETH this season, he’s clearly lost the plot?

He actually got rid of most of the teams energy from last year by selling Fred, and releasing Sabitzer and Weghorst, all three worked very hard, he’s still got DVB not even making the squad, again another player with energy.

He sold Janes Garner last year whose now playing well and another potentially elite midfielder with high energy, watching Amrabat, Eriksen and Mctominay is just embarrassing right now, they are all good when they have the ball but not one of them is a terrier in the midfield, we are desperate for a midfield
Maestro and a ferocious ball winner.

But then again the club is desperate for many things right now, Owners, players, leadership, a little bit of luck but a manager who has the full support of all his players and I’m not sure ETH has that anymore ?
I believe he still has the full support of the players - you can see they played very well until the unlucky red and then again after half time even with 10men.
Last night it was errors from Dalot & Varane letting us down, not ETH.

It's fair to be 50/50 on him though, simply cannot lose this many game and not ask questions, but he gets until Xmas to turn it around for me.
That gives him the remaining CL games and need to stay around the European places in the league to continue.

If we play like we did last night every week then I will be content to keep backing Erik.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
We've managed to lose 3/4 Champions League games. We've lost to Copenhagen and Galatasaray! These are teams even the Champions League's worst teams like Celtic and Rangers would be beating.
What?
Even Bayern struggled against Copenhagen and Galatasaray. Those teams are contendeds in any group.
Wake up, it's 2023, football has evolved. It's not 2003, there are no easy CL games.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Yesterday he made again a mistake with his changes.

Right after Bruno's goal, he should have changed Garnacho with Mount to help Dalot. And he should have subbed at the same time Hojlund with Martial.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Never won away against Top 9 teams last season.
Never won away against currently Top 9 teams this season.
Never won away in this champion league season.

It's not injuries or VAR.. It's a symptomatic issue we have with ETH.
Will we win in Turkey against Galatasary? If not, we will not have won any single away group stage game.

As much as we can cry about ref and VAR, we have not proved anything in winning away from home against better teams.

Castia

You fight all season for a top 4 spot. Then lose 3 out of 4 games including loses to Galatasaray and holding 4 goals to Copenhagen. Disaster honestly.

9th loss of the season that. And the wins have been just as terrible.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Oh come on. You've been on the ETH out bandwagon for over a year.
You pay damages for lies like this in real life :lol: .

I was voting keep him literally until a couple weeks back but he's sentenced himself.

Unless your definiton of being 'EtH out' is extending fair criticism to him and then I just cannot help you.

RedUnited86

It's really not that difficult to see how Spurs came back from 2-0 down in the Champions League semi-final a few years ago.

His in game management isn't just non-existent, it more often than not makes the team worse. Concede one, and the flood gates open. It's been a story of his time here.

Any other team reduced to 10 men, they are normally even more difficult to break down. Stay disciplined, reduce the space and don't commit. We folded like a wet paper towel - that's on the players, but that's also on the coach who clearly hasn't drilled them properly.

Every game that goes on seems to create a new record, and not in a good way. Last gasp life and death undeserved wins against Brentford and Fulham are not good enough, not when you couple them with the shit that's been served up for the rest of the season.

He needs to go. As for who to replace him, that's the club's job. They should always have a fluid list of candidates ready to step up should a current manager ever go tits up. I find it difficult to believe any half decent manager brought in couldn't better the results and performances we're currently being served up.

sugar_kane

I’m more in than anything if last night

Another shit result in a season of shit results but we were robbed by shit reffing decisions. It’s clear as well the players are still on his side.

Not totally sure what’s going on with the Varane rumours but if he wants out then feck him off, we don’t need another Cavani who plays whenever he feels like it.

Chumpsbechumps

I really feel for ETH. Anything that can go wrong has gone wrong, there’s not really many things you can single out and say he’s gotten a break.

We’ve been absolutely mugged by VAR this season. Mad how these decisions are always “technically correct” but the same scrutiny is not applied on the opposite. Where is the outrage about their first “subjective offside” that we suffered a decision against only last weekend? Or the second yellow not given to the lad elbowing Hoijland?

Id rather tough it out with him and try to help him turn this around but I understand the fickle nature of the sport.

Herman Toothrot

Honestly it’s difficult to take anyone seriously who thinks the answer when down to ten men away in a must win CL match is to throw in two barely experienced, patchy youngsters.

Not surprising, it happens all the time on this forum it’s just a bit weird and draining.
I wouldn't have made those subs, but he should have made a sub to help see out the game. As you say, it was a must-win and we were in the lead with ten men, That's not a stupid suggestion from Gopher, and I don't think you're very clever for trying to belittle the post. Clearly, Ten Hag thought Hojlund needed to come off too, but it was mad he didn't go it when we were winning instead of when we needed a goal.

fallengt

What a bizarre season. Feels like he's done everything a proper manager would do to run a club yet nothing work your way.
Played much much better before red card, could've scored 4. Then once in a full moon, Rashford decided to track back just to get a controversial red card, offside goal, bad pen call, 4 times UCL winner fecked up basic things. Sure good team could still won that game but at the moment United is not good team.

Players and manager need to build momentum to get there, but straight things happened. It's like club is cursed. Forget about manager, club need to find a witch doctor

erikcred

It's really not that difficult to see how Spurs came back from 2-0 down in the Champions League semi-final a few years ago.
He has his faults but if you're blaming that on him you didn't watch that match. They hit the post just before spurs scored the final goal. Happens. That's football. With Onana getting nervous, sitting back and letting him take shots would've been a terrible idea.