Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 575 54.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 482 45.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

el3mel

Insulting another member
It's disheartening to see the calls for his dismissal and the constant demand for immediate success. Let's take a step back and appreciate the journey we're on with him.

Football is a process, and developing a winning team doesn't happen overnight. I believe we should be patient and enjoy the ride rather than succumb to the pressure of wanting instant results. Trusting the process is crucial, especially when it comes to the development of our players.

There seems to be this obsession with winning every game, but is that truly healthy for the growth of our players? We need to recognize that setbacks are a part of the journey, and the focus should be on improvement. Erik ten Hag is working on refining our playing style, and that takes time.

Let's not forget the values that make Manchester United special – a family-oriented club with a rich history. Ten Hag's approach aligns with our core principles, and it's important to maintain that identity. A knee-jerk reaction to every loss doesn't serve the club well.

In the grand scheme of things, success will come, but it's more meaningful when it's achieved through a sustainable and long-term approach. Trust in Erik ten Hag, support our players, and let's remain united in our journey.

Whether we win or lose the next 10 games, it's not the be-all and end-all. What matters most is the progress and development happening under Erik ten Hag.
This post takes deluison to a new level.

MadMike

There were a couple of games in the middle of that run where Scott played a bit deeper, but yes the rest of them have been ridiculous.
I believe he started all of them in advanced position but in the second half of a couple of those he reverted to DM . Do you remember any game in that run where he started as DM? We can check.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
How strange that the one thing that we all were confident ETH would focus on improving (the midfield control) is looking increasingly like the thing that will get him sacked as he has actively decided to play in a way that ignores it. He's actually made our midfield worse.

Admittedly we have a lot of injuries at the moment, but this seems to have been his intention from the start of this season considering the signing of Mount and tactics in the first few games. Even with the injuries we could have had Amrabat and Mainoo together, played Scott deeper, or play Hannibal or even Gore in there instead (although once again, when Hannibal has played he's been playing very high). At the moment it looks like our entire hope is that Casemiro comes back soon and we hopefully start playing Casemiro and Mainoo together.

I want ETH to succeed and I do like some of the things that he's done, but this midfield 'tactic' is the thing that has me increasingly thinking he's a dead man walking.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It's disheartening to see the calls for his dismissal and the constant demand for immediate success. Let's take a step back and appreciate the journey we're on with him.

Football is a process, and developing a winning team doesn't happen overnight. I believe we should be patient and enjoy the ride rather than succumb to the pressure of wanting instant results. Trusting the process is crucial, especially when it comes to the development of our players.

There seems to be this obsession with winning every game, but is that truly healthy for the growth of our players? We need to recognize that setbacks are a part of the journey, and the focus should be on improvement. Erik ten Hag is working on refining our playing style, and that takes time.

Let's not forget the values that make Manchester United special – a family-oriented club with a rich history. Ten Hag's approach aligns with our core principles, and it's important to maintain that identity. A knee-jerk reaction to every loss doesn't serve the club well.

In the grand scheme of things, success will come, but it's more meaningful when it's achieved through a sustainable and long-term approach. Trust in Erik ten Hag, support our players, and let's remain united in our journey.

Whether we win or lose the next 10 games, it's not the be-all and end-all. What matters most is the progress and development happening under Erik ten Hag.
100% agree. It takes time. It's been only 1.5 years. I'm willing to give him another 5 seasons after which my expectation would be to just have a team that can string a few passes together.

Not worried one bit. Onwards and upwards! Support the club!

MadMike

Ok.

Who's the next sod to coach us?

Who's the new flavour of the month?
The Feynoord guy?
Back to Poch when he gets the sack?
I would expect an interim manager and then a new permanent one only once new CEO and DoF are in place. Who the permanent might be, ai don’t know. And as for the interim, it hardly matters.

El Presidente

The Ten Hag cultists really think Sancho, a grown man with family responsibilities and the ability to have a career outside United, is going to drastically worsen his own career prospects with a PUBLIC apology to Ten Hag that essentially says “yes, the manager is right, I am not a good professional and I do not put in any effort”.

They expect Sancho to put his career on the line to save the ass of a man who had no need to throw him under the bus in front of the world media, which subsequently exposed him to a social media pile on before the club had to brief journalists with character assassinations on Sancho, when Ten Hag could have kept these concerns private.

Either the Ten Hag cultists are totally deluded or they think that we are still in elementary school. This Sancho issue and its consequences vis-a-vis Ten Hag losing the dressing room would never have happened if Ten Hag kept his mouth shut. But ultimately it’s a good thing it happened. It exposed Ten Hag’s true self - an insecure control-freak hiding behind this disciplinarian persona. First it was Cristiano, then it was Sancho, today it was Martial, and Varane, Rashford and Casimero are all visibly unhappy. He has alienated the whole spine of his team but his cultists think that he is the victim! It makes me laugh.
But WE KNOW that effort was an issue, we've seen it with our own eyes, we have years of evidence and testimonials from ex-coaches of his.
Also, don't bother about "putting his career on the line", he essentially ended it with his entitlement and stupidity. I mean, he'll still be uber rich and will find a club that will continue paying him stupid money, but he will never be what he was supposed to be. The sad thing is, he doesn't seem to mind it.

Juicy Juiced

What to say anymore?
Same shit everytime when we play anyone decent away.
What is worrying, they are started to beat us at OT.
He is gone when that new guy comes in.

El Presidente

This is probably more embarrassing than our performance today.

MadMike

How strange that the one thing that we all were confident ETH would focus on improving (the midfield control) is looking increasingly like the thing that will get him sacked as he has actively decided to play in a way that ignores it. He's actually made our midfield worse.

Admittedly we have a lot of injuries at the moment, but this seems to have been his intention from the start of this season considering the signing of Mount and tactics in the first few games. Even with the injuries we could have had Amrabat and Mainoo together, played Scott deeper, or play Hannibal or even Gore in there instead (although once again, when Hannibal has played he's been playing very high). At the moment it looks like our entire hope is that Casemiro comes back soon and we hopefully start playing Casemiro and Mainoo together.
If Casemiro comes back, either he’ll be on the bench or he’ll replace Mainoo. I don’t expect ETH to give up his formation/tactic of having only one CDM from now onwards, not if he hasn’t done it so far. If he was ready to give up on it, there would be some signs at least. Like using 2 CMs in away games only or towards the end of matches. But he seems 100% committed to his tactics despite the results.

Pes6Monster

My worry is I don't know how much of it is EtH and how much is the same derisory 'player power' of yesteryear, or both.

Rashford gets 300k a week and hands in these performances. Martial 21 weeks from a testimonial. Mainoo is the man. McT is a sham.

But, then, I remember Shaw at CB when world cup winning Varane is available. Amrabat plays for us. As does Antony. Mason Mount? Wout Weghirst? Arnautovic touted? Wout Weghorst?

Both are to blame and the only saviour is results.

Not happening.

Salford_Red83

Did he say winning games is for the ego? Because I won't be surprised if he did.
I've genuinely just read in this thread someone ask the question "is winning really the most important thing?".

What the feckadoodledoo??

saivet

He talks about the offside goal as if it was a well worked goal only ruled out by a fine margin

r0663664

Worships Man City
Erik needs to go for continously playing Rashford and Antony. I cannot understand how he continue to start Rashford! You don't need 10 games to find your freaking form. He is smashing goals in training. For God's sake, drop him already. I have never seen such a stubborn manager, if he get sack and new manager comes in immediately perhaps we can start beating teams above us. 6 losses to all the top teams, Arsenal, Spurs, City and Newcastle. When can you start picking up points on tougher opponents? Just quit and go back to Holland.

MadDogg

I believe he started all of them in advanced position but in the second half of a couple of those he reverted to DM . Do you remember any game in that run where he started as DM? We can check.
Wasn't so much a DM, but more how you would expect an 8 to play where he was deep enough to help his midfield partner while also getting forward. Well, in theory at least; McTominay's limitations still mean he didn't help all that much but at least it was better than this joke where he utterly concedes the midfield.

Fulham and the second Copenhagen game from memory.

r0663664

Worships Man City

I want ETH to succeed and I do like some of the things that he's done, but this midfield 'tactic' is the thing that has me increasingly thinking he's a dead man walking.
And he say he has a plan and he goes where he is going. I guess the fans are dumb.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The lack of control is on him. The lack of reaction to things going badly is on him, the terrible transfers, some are on him.

Yet, we need to stick with him apparently

Marcus

If he can't see what the problem is and how to be flexible in certain games to stabilise, then he is a problem. Even Fergie went 451 in certain parts of his tenure. Don't be prideful and insist on things like best transition team in the world if it is not working.

MadDogg

If Casemiro comes back, either he’ll be on the bench or he’ll replace Mainoo. I don’t expect ETH to give up his formation/tactic of having only one CDM from now onwards, not if he hasn’t done it so far. If he was ready to give up on it, there would be some signs at least. Like using 2 CMs in away games only or towards the end of matches. But he seems 100% committed to his tactics despite the results.
Having only one DM is fine, as long as the other midfielders are helping out an acceptable amount. In fact, we probably should only have one DM.

If we played Casemiro and Mainoo together I expect only one of them (probably Mainoo from what we've seen this season) will sit while Casemiro gets around quite a lot, but in theory at least Casemiro would bring a lot more solidarity to the midfield as a whole (both in and out of possession) than what we are currently getting.

Jonty

I can't understand some of his thinking. Likes to have a left footed player playing LCB so sacrifices the first choice LB to fill the role and then replaces him with a RB leaving a LB on the bench.

Sets out his stall as a coach with high demands yet allows Rashford to put little or no effort in week after week with no threat to him losing his place in the starting line up.

Leaves a teenager to shore up a midfield whilst two senior players jog around not making tackles and losing possession as soon as they receive the ball.

If ETH can't coach senior pros then he should walk or mould the youngsters into the team we want to see. As has been said here before there is a core of players here who believe they can see out any manager and have the contract renewals to prove it.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
100% agree. It takes time. It's been only 1.5 years. I'm willing to give him another 5 seasons after which my expectation would be to just have a team that can string a few passes together.

Not worried one bit. Onwards and upwards! Support the club!
:lol:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I've genuinely just read in this thread someone ask the question "is winning really the most important thing?".

What the feckadoodledoo??
Some people genuinely believe that sport is about taking part, while winning is secondary.
I want to remind everybody that the aim of the game is to win.
Winning is the primary aim. Everything else is secondary.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
He needs to go in the Summer, unless he turns things around before that, which I really doubt. After last season, I wanted to believe that he was the best manager since Sir Alex, and that he would become next long-term success for us, but this season he's had a complete downfall and has made horrible decisions both in recruitment, as well as team management that are inexcusable

Having only one DM is fine, as long as the other midfielders are helping out an acceptable amount. In fact, we probably should only have one DM.

If we played Casemiro and Mainoo together I expect only one of them (probably Mainoo from what we've seen this season) will sit while Casemiro gets around quite a lot, but in theory at least Casemiro would bring a lot more solidarity to the midfield as a whole (both in and out of possession) than what we are currently getting.
Right, if you defend well as the entire team, you can get away with a single DM, but when your other midfielders are McTominey and Bruno and Rashford and Martial don't offer anything defensively, we most definitely should have started Amrabat + Mainoo. Everybody knew that, weirdly enough - except for our manager

saflegend

This post takes deluison to a new level.
The notion that we must win every game is simply delusional!
Transforming a team's playing style, like ETH is doing, is a process that requires time and patience.

Let's not lose sight of our club's rich heritage. United has always been about more than just winning every match. It's about the journey, the values, and the beautiful game. Demanding victory in every game is unrealistic and goes against the essence of what our club stands for.

Change takes time, and adapting to a new playing style is no exception. ETH is working towards a sustainable and attractive brand of football, and that deserves our support.

In moments of frustration, let's not forget the bigger picture. Embrace our heritage, value the process, and resist the unrealistic demand for constant victories.

MadMike

I mean what you describe is still the role of a DM. It’s what Casemiro did at Real or Kante are Chelsea. A DM doesn’t have to sit necessarily, they can chase and press. Someone who sits doesn’t have to be a DM, they can be more of a deep playmaker like Kroos at Real or Jorginho was at Chelsea.

Anyhow even a Casemiro or Kante type DM is involved more in the play than someone like Scott. On top of offering more defensive solidity. But I think the problem is that Scott is instructed to be pushing up the pitch to become a sort of target man and draw an oppo midfielder away, when we have the ball. Which means he doesn’t get involved in the build up (perhaps a small mercy as he’s poor at it) while also not being in a great position to help the midfield when the ball is turned over. His average position puts him as high as the striker. That leave us light in midfield in both defence and offence. Unless he’s scoring or assisting, which he isn’t, it’s like we’re playing with a man less. And if you add the fact we have Rashford and often Martial playing out there, it’s sometimes like having 2-3 men less.

mu4c_20le

That is an absolute disgrace.
Not sure what the big deal is... everyone knows we were trying to counter, and kick it long for Garnacho or Rashford to chase. Valid tactics against a superior team.

Pes6Monster

We are heading for some hidings again it appears.

Ten Hag has truly used up the goodwill at this stage, we are a shambles.

Regardless of the starting 11 there's no excuse for no shape or work rate.
That's on the coaching team.

Eddie Howe is hard to like but him and Unai Emery have both exposed Ten Hag by coming in and turning around sqauds that were far worse than ours after Ten Hag was already United manager.
You can say that again.

3KDré

I have no bastard idea what any of these graphics
mean, but yes, a disgrace.
It shows the average position of the players and where each of them passed it. The graphic shows we had no midfield and punted it long to our forwards.

NLunited

Absolute dogshit today. We have a few players pressing and the rest sitting back inviting them to come swarm our midfield.

Someone explain what is happening, I do not understand.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Is losing six out of possible 14 league games so far and the multitudes of first time negative records progress? What's your definition of 'progress and development'?

Its certainly very different to mine.

Laurencio

Absolute dogshit today. We have a few players pressing and the rest sitting back inviting them to come swarm our midfield.

Someone explain what is happening, I do not understand.
We're knackered and we are playing a style of football that requires intensity, speed and concentration. 3 games in a week was always going to be demanding, but with basically no rotation it's suicidal.