Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 645 44.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 800 55.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

OneReligion

"They need to sort out from top to bottom"

Yet people still calling for ETH to be sacked. He's not the source of the issues at this club.
No he really isn't, I for one am desperate for a restructure of this club top-to-bottom, but he IS the man trusted to coach the players we have, and when I watch us play week in week out I sit and wonder what exactly is he coaching them, and I'm certain I'm not the only one.

We might not have the greatest squad ever assembled but lets not kid ourselves that we have some sort of Sunday league squad, he should be able to, with the players at his disposal, get enough of a tune out of them to beat teams like Bournemouth at home. Most of the wins we've had this season at home have been lucky snatch & grab results, I honestly can't remember a game this season or last where we've controlled it start to finish (I get this is a rarity as games ebb & flow) I think maybe spurs away last year we played brilliantly but still managed to scrape a draw from a 2-0 lead.

I desperately want him to succeed but I'm starting to think he isn't the man for the job. I just can't see how replacing various members of the board will improve player performances.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
If we get a half decent bid for him in the summer (we won't) we should accept it.

He's also on the chopping block, as far I'm concerned, he's just further back in the queue than most.

No point having a player on his wages that can only perform for half a season every three or four years.
I don't disagree at all mate. I'd be massively in favor of selling him.

Martial will literally be a free agent in 6 months though.

flameinthesun

The reason why Guardiola's players look so good is the same reason why players at United always seem to drop a level or two. He provides them with a platform to shine, United does the exact opposite.

And of course he's only ever shown interest in managing sides set up to dominate. If you are the best, you want to work with the best. It's the same for every player out there. Guardiola was simply so good from the beginning that he never had to prove himself at a smaller club. His effect on United would be absolutely transformative. He wouldn't abandon his vision of playing football like Ten Hag.
Pep provides them with a great platform to shine, he also requires the right type of player to play in that system or else they don't really shine as in his first season at city. There is a reason why he went through a large chunk of players. I am a big fan of pep and think he's probably the greatest coach of all time, however even he cannot perform miracles and not everyone can play the way he wants.

Give Guardiola this squad, backed by the same poor structure, where he cant run through a million left backs and a million centre backs and instead of getting a Haaland he's given a Rasmus, give him a bunch of primadonnas/personalities that has been the one weakness usually thrown his way and it would be very realistic that he would spend 3 seasons here and not win a league. Now that's not saying he would perform like Ten Hag, I think he'd do better, however its quite clear that the setup/state of United is not conducive to winning big trophies.

On Pep not abandoning his ideas if he was United manager, is that not what Ten Hag is doing? Rather than going back to the 4 2 3 1 that he inherited and was forced to play in the first season he is now trying to implement the 4 3 3 whether we have the personnel to do it well or not, the team are still trying to play out from the back etc. Yeah its not a 1 for 1 replica of Ajax but neither is City a 1 for 1 replica of Barca.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It’s so frustrating how we haven’t kicked on bit this year and he’s chose now to alter his approach and bring in Mount and play this single holding no midfield style.
The league seems to be a lot more open this year with city dropping so many points, if only we’d bought a decent midfielder and attacker and stuck to what seemed to be working more last year we could have had an outside chance, done a bit better in the champions league after doing so well to make it there. Now all the talk is sacking and how shit we and the signings are. Of all the seasons to go rogue with his tactics. Eurgh.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I don't disagree at all mate. I'd be massively in favor of selling him.

Martial will literally be a free agent in 6 months though.
The free agent thing is another issue that the club has to address.

De Gea, Jones and Tuanzebe left on a free this summer. Ronaldo, Cavani, Lingard, Mata, Matic, Pogba, Pereira, Chong and Garner the summer before that. Historically, Romero, Rojo, Sanchez, Herrera.

Even a lot of the players we have sold, we've received little more than nominal fees for.

Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Hannibal, Martial, Evans and Heaton all out of contract this summer, Varane, McTominay, Maguire, Eriksen, van de Beek, Diallo and Pellistri the year after. Some have one year extension options, but there's not many (if any) you'd be happy to hear had signed a proper extension there, and no one you'd expect us to actually receive a proper return on investment for.

Revan

Assumptionman
The problem comparing with Pep is that the 400-600 million for Utd is not the same as it is for City. Utd cannot afford to spend 100 million on fullbacks and then discard them and spend another 100 million on fullbacks. Utd cannot always compete for a player because we have to pay players legitimately, we cannot for instance pay less than is quoted for Kieron Tripper and then the selling club mysteriously obtain a significant sponsorship deal from a company based in our owning nation. The wages would come out of the 600 million budget, rather than allegedly coming in part from image rights deals or ambassadorial payments. Pep would not get the same value because Utd do not get the same value. We get rinsed by clubs just for being us.
We kind of are. Just replace full back with some other position. Like, we spent 150m in Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly, it did not work, so we spent another 100m on Varane and Lisandro. Or we spent 72m in Sancho, then we went and spent another 80m in Antony.

When you leave the mental gymnastics outside, we are actually outspending City. Just that we are spending really poor, in not that good players, who also tend to have next to no resale value. This has been largely to not having a coherent structure above the manager, and letting the manager play real-world football manager.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You're not wrong.

Absolutely nothing will happen until INEOS have done their own evaluations. People getting wound up by ETH may have to be enraged for the long haul. We're going to have hundreds of messages on here full sure that he's gonna be gone after the next 2 games, but I'm 100% confident he'll still be here no matter what the results are.
And rightly so. The club is a total mess. We won't achieve anything by booting a manager mid season just before a takeover despite the results .

No one is saying this guy is perfect but since we are going through a takeover crisis, let's wrap it off first. See where we are in feb or March. Top 5 isn't so difficult to achieve from this point. Everyone will drop points.

crossy1686

career ending
We kind of are. Just replace full back with some other position. Like, we spent 150m in Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly, it did not work, so we spent another 100m on Varane and Lisandro. Or we spent 72m in Sancho, then we went and spent another 80m in Antony.

When you leave the mental gymnastics outside, we are actually outspending City. Just that we are spending really poor, in not that good players, who also tend to have next to no resale value. This has been largely to not having a coherent structure above the manager, and letting the manager play real-world football manager.
We should have new managers present their FM save as part of the interview process. Then we’ll see what they’re really like when they get money to spend.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

City move along their "poor" signings quite quickly, and often receive decent fees for them.

We're still clinging on to Maguire and Lindelof, and only shifted Bailly this summer, for a poxy fee.

The money side of replacing the players isn't the issue. As you say, it's spending that money badly, but it's also not being able to actually get rid of the players we're supposed to be replacing. As I posted above, we're basically waiting for most of them to reach the end of their contract, which means we're regularly left calling on them, even though we don't actually want them.

Shark

@NotShark
And rightly so. The club is a total mess. We won't achieve anything by booting a manager mid season just before a takeover despite the results .

No one is saying this guy is perfect but since we are going through a takeover crisis, let's wrap it off first. See where we are in feb or March. Top 5 isn't so difficult to achieve from this point. Everyone will drop points.
Everyone will drop points, but we've just been bashed 0-3 at Old Trafford to Bournemouth. That's not just dropping points, that's a team in disarray.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Seems that there are fans who blame the failures because of the owners and structure and the are fans who blame the coach. Just because Ole, Jose and ETH spent hundreds of millions and the squad is still shit doesn't means they got no blame. ETH has spend close to 400 millions, that money alone can buy a 2 entire EPL XI of lower tier teams. 400 millions, it is just mind boggling that after spending this amount, we don't have a half decent squad. He got the players he wanted and know, why aren't they meeting his expectations? Onana, Antony, Hoijund, Casemiro (World class), Mount and etc. These are international players, they are not someone who sit out during international break. I cannot understand how he is unable to get things right after the amount spent.

Rista

I'm happy to admit that Ten Hag could be doing better.

However, it remains somewhat unfair to go "he's spent £400 million" and ignore that:

a) he shouldn't have been in a position to spend like that if the targets weren't right (and yes, this includes not hiring him in the first place, if those were his demands), and
b) that £200 million of that has been sat on the treatment table for most of the season (Martinez, Casemiro, Mount), and the bulk of the other £200 million should never have been authorised at their respective prices in the first place (Antony, Hojlund).

Spending money badly (which you could easily argue is the case for any of Antony, Casemiro, Hojlund, Mount and Onana) because you've failed to provide the manager with a proper recruitment structure (which again, includes not hiring a manager who doesn't want one), leaving him relying on free transfers, a string of loans, and players inherited from managers that wanted their sides to play a vastly different style of football, is a very unfair stick to beat Ten Hag with, even if he could still be doing better in the circumstance (adapting tactics to suit, better in game management, etc.)

I quite often see "look at what our old managers have done since leaving us" as evidence of how bad our appointments have been (and they have been awful), but it's somehow never a factor with the players who've left us, who have almost entirely left us to achieve sweet feck all.

About the only exceptions are Di Maria (who never actually wanted to come here in the first place) and the few that ended up at Inter Milan (Lukaku, Young, Sanchez and Darmian). With the Inter Milan lot, Lukaku has managed to remain a global laughing stock, and the other three were rotation options/substitutes.
It's very true for players as well. We've spent very badly in context of building a side to challenge for major trophies. The argument that vast majority of them did not go on to do anything better since leaving does hold weight. We either bought players who were close to or already past it, or mostly overpriced talents that did not work out. Ole wasted a lot of money and set us back with bad transfers and it's disheartening to see the same thing happening now under ETH as well. For at least a couple of big money signings you can already tell with good confidence that they will not make it here.

But still, the squad is easily good enough to fight for the best of the rest. It's easily good enough to score more than 18 goals in 16 games or to not lose almost every other game or to beat at least one top 10 team away from home. That part is on the manager for me and while we are run badly and the players aren't title challenging material, we should be doing better. There needs to be a clear improvement very soon. Ten Hag needs to show at least something otherwise I don't see the point.

croadyman

I think this is false. We’ve done the interim thing with Rangnick and he got precisely zero respect from the players or club officials. He was a lame duck place holder while we finalised with Erik for the following season.
We can’t afford to write off half a season and start from scratch next summer. I think when players come back as they are starting to, with Erik in charge we stand a chance of putting a run together and having a strong finish to the season. If we go the interim route our players will relax, take their foot off the gas and we will have a worse time than 2 years ago under Ralf.
You make a valid point about them not buying into an interim,however there is only Martinez and Casemiro to come back now. I don't see them making a massive difference and certainly wouldn't want to see him given any more money. We also can't just purge players like people are pushing for due to the cost of paying off contracts

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
And for me, that's why Ten Hag's biggest mistake is abandoning the playstyle that made him successful. He would never have gotten this job in the first place if he tried to implement his current system at Ajax. That's the root of it all - the weird players he signed, that some of his former players look much worse all of a sudden, that he can't get results consistently, etc. You could maybe even argue that his fallout with Sancho is due to this because out of all your players, he's the one suited best for the style Ten Hag used to stand for.
It's fundamentally all rooted in this - agreed. It's either 1. Ten Hag has abandoned all his principles, or 2. He really wasn't the Pep/Cruijff disciple we expected and his work at Ajax was more being at the right system with the right overheads rather than something he imposed himself.

Honestly at this point I think the answer is somewhere between 1 and 2 -- seeing the manager utilise players like McTominay and even Fernandes with the fervency he has (from the start of his time here)... Really doesn't strike me as a manager who seeks middle of the field measured build-up control. I don't think he's married to the idea of football we envisage[d], and is far more of a pragmatic manager than first thought. Hence the failures.

Gordon Godot

It's fundamentally all rooted in this - agreed. It's either 1. Ten Hag has abandoned all his principles, or 2. He really wasn't the Pep/Cruijff disciple we expected and his work at Ajax was more being at the right system with the right overheads rather than something he imposed himself.

Honestly at this point I think the answer is somewhere between 1 and 2 -- seeing the manager utilise players like McTominay and even Fernandes with the fervency he has (from the start of his time here)... Really doesn't strike me as a manager who seeks middle of the field measured build-up control. I don't think he's married to the idea of football we envisage[d], and is far more of a pragmatic manager than first thought. Hence the failures.
its glaringly obvious that ETH is not the budding tactical genius we hoped for. They had a stand out season in Champions league, but few times i watched Ajax domestically it was very underwhelming, especially given the low quality of the league. Ajax also had a very strong structure. I am not a tactical expert but this 'single pivot' seems a catastrophe, regardless of who is fit. Also trying to sell a player one week then make him a central part of team the next. It smells of a manager out of his depth and out of ideas. Trouble is United fans are desperate to back the next messiah, I fear that ETH is not it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yes, and a positional system utilising those players is much more likely to resemble that god-awful van Gaal style than it is anything Guardiola has ever done.
No, not really. Van Gaal is far more conservative while Pep puts huge emphasis on implementing (and changing up) patterns of play, build up structures, overloading the opponent on certain areas of the pitch, etc.

Pep provides them with a great platform to shine, he also requires the right type of player to play in that system or else they don't really shine as in his first season at city. There is a reason why he went through a large chunk of players. I am a big fan of pep and think he's probably the greatest coach of all time, however even he cannot perform miracles and not everyone can play the way he wants.

Give Guardiola this squad, backed by the same poor structure, where he cant run through a million left backs and a million centre backs and instead of getting a Haaland he's given a Rasmus, give him a bunch of primadonnas/personalities that has been the one weakness usually thrown his way and it would be very realistic that he would spend 3 seasons here and not win a league. Now that's not saying he would perform like Ten Hag, I think he'd do better, however its quite clear that the setup/state of United is not conducive to winning big trophies.

On Pep not abandoning his ideas if he was United manager, is that not what Ten Hag is doing? Rather than going back to the 4 2 3 1 that he inherited and was forced to play in the first season he is now trying to implement the 4 3 3 whether we have the personnel to do it well or not, the team are still trying to play out from the back etc. Yeah its not a 1 for 1 replica of Ajax but neither is City a 1 for 1 replica of Barca.
I wasn't saying he would win the treble with the current bunch of players but he would have them perform to a much higher standard than what is currently displayed by them.

By the way, I think the example of his first season is off. It wasn't perfect but Guardiola still finished third and City reached a highly impressive 85 expected points (top of the league), indicating that it was the chance conversion letting them down even then. Plus the tight schedule which he is now used to.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Fully agree :)

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
its glaringly obvious that ETH is not the budding tactical genius we hoped for. They had a stand out season in Champions league, but few times i watched Ajax domestically it was very underwhelming, especially given the low quality of the league. Ajax also had a very strong structure. I am not a tactical expert but this 'single pivot' seems a catastrophe, regardless of who is fit. Also trying to sell a player one week then make him a central part of team the next. It smells of a manager out of his depth and out of ideas. Trouble is United fans are desperate to back the next messiah, I fear that ETH is not it.
Completely agree. Absolutist as this may sound, I'd even go as far to say that this will be the highest point of ten Hag's career - I think maybe he goes back to being a domestic success in the Netherlands or a midtable side somewhere in Germany or something, but I would be extremely surprised if he ends up at the highest level again after failing with us.

To be fair we don't know that. A lot of variables. What does Ratcliffe think of Ten Hag? When does Ratcliffe come on board? Can Ratcliffe sack and hire managers without Glazer input or approval?
Of course we don’t know but I can’t for a second imagine INEOS coming in mid season and instantly swapping around every position including the manager, it just sounds wreckless.
Appears much more likely they will get a new CEO in place, a new DoF and give them time to plan for Summer 2024 and onwards. They won’t even have time to stake out managers & you feel they’ll want to ensure they get that bang on.

Put it this way, I’d be absolutely amazed if they come in and instantly fire & hire a new manager.

croadyman

This is where I sit as well. He stays until Ineos decide what to do. If they decide to sack him straight away, I'm fine with that, equally if they want to see how things go until the end of the season, I'm okay with that too. I don't think it will happen but it's important we don't sack him and either be in a state of limbo with no replacement or we sack him and it's Murtough picking the replacement.
Yeah we simply cannot have Murtough picking the next manager,much as I don't think Erik is the man since Anfield. I will admit there is a distinct lack of options available right now. So as you say perhaps he has to be given until the end of season. Will admit the constant delays around INEOS coming in are starting to annoy me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Of course we don’t know but I can’t for a second imagine INEOS coming in mid season and instantly swapping around every position including the manager, it just sounds wreckless.
Appears much more likely they will get a new CEO in place, a new DoF and give them time to plan for Summer 2024 and onwards. They won’t even have time to stake out managers & you feel they’ll want to ensure they get that bang on.

Put it this way, I’d be absolutely amazed if they come in and instantly fire & hire a new manager.
Guess that just depends on if they've already had discussions or not. It's been a long process, and sporting directors/DOF should have their contacts, know who their targets are and be prepared to move on those targets quickly. Different question if the targets are prepared to move mid season. But I'd be surprised if the sporting directors come in and go "we'll give him til the end of the season". They should know one way or the other if they want him, he's been here for 18 months, they'll meet with him, and giving people a last chance to save their job is always just proving you don't actually have a real plan and it's more just hoping it works out.

Guess that just depends on if they've already had discussions or not. It's been a long process, and sporting directors/DOF should have their contacts, know who their targets are and be prepared to move on those targets quickly. Different question if the targets are prepared to move mid season. But I'd be surprised if the sporting directors come in and go "we'll give him til the end of the season". They should know one way or the other if they want him, he's been here for 18 months, they'll meet with him, and giving people a last chance to save their job is
I don’t think I’ll have anything to do with saving his job though. As you say, they’ll either believe he’s their man, or not.
I think it has everything to do with the fact that no top manager will be available in January and it would be absolutely bizarre to come in and throw a Ragnick interim type appointment into the mix as the first thing they do.
ETH’s results at this point are not that bad to warrant such a risk, hence why I would be amazed if they came in and fired him. Would make much more sense for them to plan for the future as City did preparing for Guardiola, whether that be preparing for a Summer with ETH or with their new manager.

IRN-BRUno

Ten Hag had several interviews with Nice in the summer before he came here so INEOS should have a good idea of how he works.

Bucephalus74

Supports
Arsenal
We should have new managers present their FM save as part of the interview process. Then we’ll see what they’re really like when they get money to spend.
I'm sure you're mostly joking, but it isn't actually a bad idea. Nor would it be a bad idea to screen potential players on some souped up version of FIFA that tests the player's ability to make decisions in a manager's preferred tactical system. If simulators work for airline pilots, surely they can be used for football, too.

flameinthesun

No, not really. Van Gaal is far more conservative while Pep puts huge emphasis on implementing (and changing up) patterns of play, build up structures, overloading the opponent on certain areas of the pitch, etc.

I wasn't saying he would win the treble with the current bunch of players but he would have them perform to a much higher standard than what is currently displayed by them.

By the way, I think the example of his first season is off. It wasn't perfect but Guardiola still finished third and City reached a highly impressive 85 expected points (top of the league), indicating that it was the chance conversion letting them down even then. Plus the tight schedule which he is now used to.
I agree he'd do better, he's the best coach in the world, that's a given. The point is how much more better with this squad and with this structure. Would he within 2/3 years have us challenging for leagues and europe? or would he also follow the same routine of a good first season, then be forced to shop in the 2nd hand market, be stuck with a bunch of players not good enough, eventually fall out with the players and it all go downhill? Which would be more likely? I'd say the later.

Regarding his first season, he still finished 3rd with a team consisting of excellent players (Kompany, De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero). Yet even with those great players he still needed to buy more quality in order to truly implement what he wanted to (as well as tactically make adjustments). This is the greatest coach in the world.

The point I'm making is as much as I would love a pep to come here, I'm under no illusion that even a great coach like him most likely would struggle with the structure around.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You make a valid point about them not buying into an interim,however there is only Martinez and Casemiro to come back now. I don't see them making a massive difference and certainly wouldn't want to see him given any more money. We also can't just purge players like people are pushing for due to the cost of paying off contracts
Why do you say this when there are such glaring holes in our squad? I really hope we can at least get in a competent striker to take the weight off Rasmus.

NLunited

I don’t really know what people are seeing in ETH to have so much faith in him.
I think people see that there are discipline issues and lack of commitment on the field by certain players. Those won’t magically go away if we fire Ten Hag. He is big on following the rules and commitment.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
For context, results wise we're performing worse than Gary Neville's Valencia.
Gary Neville's Valencia had a league record of 3 wins, 6 draws and 8 defeats, scored 16, and had a goal difference of -10.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Really looking forward to you explaining how this is the case.
Probably including the cup runs. One of which ended with them getting drubbed 7-0 by Barcelona.

Can't be arsed doing the maths on that but it's certainly not on league form.

oreon

I don’t think I’ll have anything to do with saving his job though. As you say, they’ll either believe he’s their man, or not.
I think it has everything to do with the fact that no top manager will be available in January and it would be absolutely bizarre to come in and throw a Ragnick interim type appointment into the mix as the first thing they do.
ETH’s results at this point are not that bad to warrant such a risk, hence why I would be amazed if they came in and fired him. Would make much more sense for them to plan for the future as City did preparing for Guardiola, whether that be preparing for a Summer with ETH or with their new manager.
The point of an interim is just to finish out the season while UTD work on the process of hiring a new manager. If we are to replace ETH, the best case scenario is to have one selected before season ends with the view to take over right after the season ends. They can't be putting out feelers to potential candidates while ETH is still in the job. You don't want to start the summer spending weeks looking for a new manager and at the same time overhauling the squad.
I am of the view he should be replaced. So start the process. With ETH or an interim the season will likely end the same. No top 4 and no trophies. So once Ineos appoints a DOF and a sporting director they should begin process for a new manager. And that can't happen while ETH is still the coach

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It says something when there's a sense of dread to these big games. If we concede early, the mind can drift to questioning how much we'll be hammered by.

Thinking about today's game and being almost certain he's going to set up without a midfield again, you have to wonder what morale will be like if we get a drubbing with the scousers to come on the weekend.

If he tightens midfield, we actually have a chance... when I say chance, I mean we can actually look like a football team for however long it lasts.

FerociousCorgis

It says something when there's a sense of dread to these big games. If we concede early, the mind can drift to questioning how much we'll be hammered by.

Thinking about today's game and being almost certain he's going to set up without a midfield again, you have to wonder what morale will be like if we get a drubbing with the scousers to come on the weekend.

If he tightens midfield, we actually have a chance... when I say chance, I mean we can actually look like a football team for however long it lasts.
when has he ever tightened the midfield? Part of the reason im just over him is the fact that whatever his strategy is for his ideal midfield, it aint one that gonna be successful long term

Valencia Shin Crosses

when has he ever tightened the midfield? Part of the reason im just over him is the fact that whatever his strategy is for his ideal midfield, it aint one that gonna be successful long term
He’s one of the worst tacticians I’ve seen here honestly. Plays the exact same shitty composition and awful structure every week expecting different results. You’d think we were flying with how consistent his selection is

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Looks like he’s stuck to the same team that got beat! His stubbornness will cost him is job

BabySinclair

How can people say "He is not the real problem"???

Because he makes the same mistakes si many times like for example the line-up for todays match.....he is one of the main problems.