Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 384 45.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 460 54.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

r0663664

Worships Man City
Erik sacrifice full control of the game by playing McTominay. Having Bruno and McTominay in midfield is so stupid. I don't think any EPL coaches would go that and we have a smart alec who thinks he is started than anyone. Whether is it Mount with Bruno or McTominay with Bruno or McTominay with Mount it will not work. I think Erik has dementia because he forgets it doesn't work on a weekly basis. He also forget Antony is flop. Judy pack your bags and leaves maybe some Dutch lower team will hire you. Come back when that team wins the league or champion league.

NK86

The tempo in our game is the biggest problem for me. He wants to be the “best transition team”, but has us playing at a snail’s pace and zero pressing at any stage. At this stage, he does not know how to make us play. He knows he is done and the team knows it too, that’s clear as day. There is no fight or itensity or belief. We go a goal down and we know we will lose, that’s how much their heads drop. It is disgraceful and disheartening seeing this version of United every second year.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
When so many players are playing badly the manager is usually to blame. Who knows, under a better coach even Antony might look a bit more threatening.
This is ALWAYS the case. Different players, same issues. It's so painfully obviously on the manager.

Klean

To be fair I support Ten Haag and think he is the coach to take us out of this dark period. But when you see the same mistakes and players not running back into position or even looking bothered about their performance its one or two things. Either he can't see the problem and fix it, or the fix that he is trying the players don't execute.

Feels like he is slowly losing the team, which is not like we haven't seen it before... (Mourinho, Ole, Ragnick).
I said it back in September and it holds true now. The team wasn't playing for him then and not playing for him now either. Today's performance was pitiful. Players look like they couldn't even be arsed to do anything. When we went down 1-0 there was no response from this lifeless group of players. They know he is on borrowed time as it stands now.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
13 defeats before Christmas. How the feck is he still in a job? The worst manager since SAF retired.

Heinzesight

Are people serious when they say they’d have Ole back? Jesus wept.

Once Ten Hag has something that resembles a non-injury ravaged matchday squad and isn’t lumbered with players he wanted to exchange for better ones but was scuppered by pricks who put them on huge wages, then I can make an informed decision.

He is underperforming of course but give him a chance with more tools at his disposal and give him support in identifying talent and not leave it solely down to him.

NK86

“Injuries eh”. “Looked good in 75 minutes eh”. Shakes head twenty times. “Players are behind me, see Liverpool game eh”. Shakes head. “We are almost there but need goals eh”.

Me, shakes head “Throw in the towel! eh”
Please tell me he didn’t say all that?

mav_9me

This system will finish him if he sticks with it. I don't understand how it's supposed to work even in theory.

Continuing to play Scott McTominay as a false midfielder in every game in the vain hope that he might get a touch in the opposition box at some point is insanity. Might be one of the bigger reasons our strikers never see the ball, as well.
Easily the biggest reason imo. Any normal team would play 2 proper midfielders to pass between the lines, and have Bruno at 10 find pockets of space in between opposition defense and midfield from where he can create.

Now you have McT occupying so much of that space and doing nothing, while Bruno has to drop deep and try and find 40 yrd passes. Make it make sense.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He should only be sacked if there is an actual plan for afterwards. No point if we’re just going to make it up as we go. If not might as well just hang fire till there is one.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm not defending ten Hag. In fact, I'm partially blaming him for this problem. I just think any manager will struggle with this squad so saying it's purely down to coaching, which is a big part, is overlooking a problem just as big.

Who in our squad can:
Dribble
Shield the ball under pressure with strength and smart body positioning
Play in tight spaces due to their close control and strength on the ball
Quickly turn and/or feint away from pressure with their agility

You can probably count on one hand. I'm not against getting an interim manager in at this point but I can see it being another Ragnick situation because this squad is lacking so many necessary qualities in order to play entertaining football.

This is something I thought ten Hag would solve but, if anything, he's enhanced this problem of ours.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Fraud of a manager, whole career is based off one fecking game five years ago in the UCL.

Well done, you beat Madrid after one of your players got a haloed 10/10 in L'Equipe.

You then gave up a 3-1 lead against Spurs (f*cking Spurs!) inside a half to not make the final.

You then proceeded to get dumped out of the UCL the following year and then the EL by some minnows.

No style of play, awful "philosophy" (I must have a left footed centre back for "angles"). If I have to explain how fecking stupid this is; well done, now everyone knows which angles you're trying to create, now they can nullify your set up almost instantly, well done genius.

Wants to be a transition team yet buys two slow forwards who can't run with the ball (Antony and Mount) so we are unable to transition because the defending team just gets back and tackles/gets behind the ball.

He cannot appraise talent, his transfers have been woeful, this leads me to believe it's dodgy dealings with his agency SEG along with his agent having inappropriate access to the club.

It all stinks. Get rid of him.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Once Ten Hag has something that resembles a non-injury ravaged matchday squad and isn’t lumbered with players he wanted to exchange for better ones but was scuppered by pricks who put them on huge wages, then I can make an informed decision.

He is underperforming of course but give him a chance with more tools at his disposal and give him support in identifying talent and not leave it solely down to him.
fecking I would.

cyberman

I'm not defending ten Hag. In fact, I'm partially blaming him for this problem. I just think any manager will struggle with this squad so saying it's purely down to coaching, which is a big part, is overlooking a problem just as big.

Who in our squad can:
Dribble

You can probably count on one hand. I'm not against getting an interim manager in at this point but I can see it being another Ragnick situation because this squad is lacking so many necessary qualities in order to play entertaining football.

This is something I thought ten Hag would solve but, if anything, he's enhanced this problem of ours.
If we had those players we would only drop them for a slight against the manager or drop them because they aren’t playing well in a system that doesn’t work while underperforming teammate skate on by.
We tried to sell Scott in the summer and now he’s a starting number 10 keeping our best attacker deeper on a role he obviously can’t perform in.

spiriticon

I wonder how many more games McT must feck up in midfield before ETH's Excel spreadsheet gives the green light to bench him again.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This season is just horrendous. The worst since SAF left

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Who in our squad can:
Dribble

None of the players ETH spent 400m signing.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Easily the biggest reason imo. Any normal team would play 2 proper midfielders to pass between the lines, and have Bruno at 10 find pockets of space in between opposition defense and midfield from where he can create.

Now you have McT occupying so much of that space and doing nothing, while Bruno has to drop deep and try and find 40 yrd passes. Make it make sense.
We're basically voluntarily playing with 10 men when the ball isn't in either box. McTominay just doesn't exist when the ball is in the middle of the pitch.

It's baffling, and if he can't see this and apply the obvious fix, I've completely lost faith in Ten Hag.

3KDré

What is most worrying is he had both Kudus and Antony at Ajax and genuinely went all out for Antony.

Stacks

You'll see from my previous posts that I never got on the ETH hype train as I felt he was unproven but I'm at the point where I can't even be bothered to consider a new manager. They will also just sign rubbish players for club record amounts and we'll repeat the cycle

NK86

Yet another one with his head stuck in the sand.

No goals scored in 4 games. 8 losses in the PL. 4 losses in the last 5. Out of Europe. -5 GD at the half way stage.

And your retort to these facts - “he needs more time and better tools to have us improve from 8th”?

Stacks

Who in our squad can:
Dribble

All true

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I'm not worried about the results today as West Ham away isn't an easy place to go. I'm more worried about the chances we create in the final third. McT has been a disaster in that role. If you want his goals, then bench Hojlund and play McT as a striker.

Rest no complaints. We have 14 first team players injured. I doubt anyone would do better.

AndyMUFC

We all know that these players aren’t good enough to win us a league but there’s no way that the manager isn’t a big problem either.

He’ll have to be gone soon.

Marcus

He is not suffering from imposter syndrome, he actually is one. Sack him!

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It's madness running rampant, total reactionary fanaticism mixed with sentimental attachment. There's not a single manager I'd wish to bring back post SAF and Ole only gets that mention because of his player connection.

I'm not sure who is out there that can right this sinking ship.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’ve got sympathy with the injuries. 14 players out or whatever it is, and our 10th different centre back pairing this season.

But they weren’t the problem - Willy and Evans played well. It’s the front 4 that worries me as they’re all first choice, yet we haven’t scored a goal for 4 games. And he continues to pick McTominay rendering midfield useless. He comes across as someone just hoping Scott can bail him out for another week, rather than someone with a grand plan.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
You'll see from my previous posts that I never got on the ETH hype train as I felt he was unproven but I'm at the point where I can't even be bothered to consider a new manager. They will also just sign rubbish players for club record amounts and we'll repeat the cycle
Well that’s clearly not true because a new structure is imminent.

3KDré

Who in our squad can:
Dribble

They are both true. The players aren't good enough. Equally, he is not coaching the players at his disposal well enough. Only 3 teams in ALL of europe's top 5 leagues have lost more games than us. One of them is Burnley, who are in the relegation zone.

I am all for backing the manager but this is never acceptable. The standards have dropped massively.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yet another one with his head stuck in the sand.

No goals scored in 4 games. 8 losses in the PL. 4 losses in the last 5. Out of Europe. -5 GD at the half way stage.

And your retort to these facts - “he needs more time and better tools to have us improve from 8th”?
Whenever someone says "it's not his fault because he has to use players he didn't want" that just tells me that these players are shit but other managers were able to get better performances out of them than what Ten Hag has managed

cyberman

We would be going from shite to little less shite.
I can only dream of that period of Bruno as a 10 behind Rashford , Cavan / Martial and Mason.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I said it back in September and it holds true now. The team wasn't playing for him then and not playing for him now either. Today's performance was pitiful. Players look like they couldn't even be arsed to do anything. When we went down 1-0 there was no response from this lifeless group of players. They know he is on borrowed time as it stands now.
This is such a cop-out argument. Were the players downing tools when they got a draw at Anfield or when they beat Chelsea the other week?

Bole Top

Who in our squad can:
Dribble
Everton fans probably thought the same about their players when Lampard was their manager.

NK86

I wonder how many more games McT must feck up in midfield before ETH's Excel spreadsheet gives the green light to bench him again.
Is there something I have missed because this is the second reference to “Excel” I have seen.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I just don't get why he continues with McTominay. It would be like SAF keeping Djemba for a decade and continually playing him. At least Djemba had a motor, McTominay is a damn snail out there. That loose ball at the halfway line that eventually went out, his reaction to and attempt to race towards the ball was like slow motion real time.