g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

HookedOnAPhelan

Could Martinez, if fit, replace Casemiro? Just a genuine thought. Played there 15 times for Ajax, scored a couple of goals too.

Understand we’re light at CB as it is, but still.
Ten Hag doesn't think he has the stamina to play in midfield.

Ten Hag, during his time working with Martinez at Ajax, highlighted another reason why he may refuse to move Martinez into midfield. Speaking to ESPN back in 2021, he said: "Daley Blind does not have the running capacity to play in midfield. And neither does Martinez."

TrailMonkey

I think they've written off this season and although they hope to see improved performances in the remaining league games and cup final, they're not expecting it. Wouldn't look good (in their eyes) to fire Erik now. Decision likely made already. If they were definitely keeping him then I reckon they would have come out and openly backed him by now. Winning all our remaining games doesn't prove anything. We've been awful in 90% of our games this season and there's no progression (other than Mainoo, Garnacho and maybe Ras showing potential). Beating City will be great for the fans, but it shouldn't be enough to keep ETH.

Last edited:

Speako

Ten Hag doesn't think he has the stamina to play in midfield.

Ten Hag, during his time working with Martinez at Ajax, highlighted another reason why he may refuse to move Martinez into midfield. Speaking to ESPN back in 2021, he said: "Daley Blind does not have the running capacity to play in midfield. And neither does Martinez."
Yeah fair point. Shame really, he certainly has other key attributes to play there. But a good engine’s essential.

NLunited

If you look at the squad, would you think our low performance level has more to do with the squad strength than with the manager?

With the news coming out that most players are available for sale, I would not be surprised Ten Hag stays.

Shark

@NotShark
I think they've written off this season and although they hope to see improved performances in the remaining league games and cup final, they're not expecting it. Wouldn't look good (in their eyes) to fire Eric now. Decision likely made already. If they were definitely keeping him then I reckon they would have come out and openly backed him by now. Winning all our remaining games doesn't prove anything. We've been awful in 90% of our games this season and there's no progression (other than Mainoo, Garnacho and maybe Ras showing potential). Beating City will be great for the fans, but it shouldn't be enough to keep ETH.
I really do hate the phrase "writing off the season". I don't hear it being used at any other supposed big club, but at United and it's like some kind of normality now . Since SAF stepped down it feels like we've been writing off every second season at least.

NLunited

I just can't fathom why people would want him for the final beyond being polite. Under what metric do you they view ETH as having what it takes to beat City in the final? The stats this season just highlight how fecking lucky we are to be 6th and about to finish 9th maybe. Players look totally lost in ever department but people still want him to take us to Wembley - I'm amazed at how low peoples standards and expectations have fallen in support of a manager who is so clearly out of his depth it's laughable.
We need a one-off game and we have had those this season. We played Pool 3 times and didn‘t lose once. We should have beaten Arsenal (unlucky/100% penalty not called).

Last year we lost the final because of a freak opening goal and a De Gea mistake.

With an interim manager there is no telling what will happen. I‘d rather see chaos ball to disrupt Cheaty‘s predictable and predetermined playing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Weird. He was outstanding last season. Our best and most consistent player I'd argue, and one of the best CB's in the league.
In the months leading up to the World Cup, yes. His form dropped off a bit after the World Cup and never really recovered. Don't get me wrong, he was still good. But post-WC he wasn't one of the best in the league, so I do understand people saying he's over-rated in response to others saying he was great all season.

thohnb

Supports
Real Madrid
This summer will be busy for us.
IIRC that we will have these players leave as free transfer:
  • Varane
  • Brandon Williams
  • Anthony Martial
  • Sancho
  • Greenwood

Fallon d'Floor

We need a one-off game and we have had those this season. We played Pool 3 times and didn‘t lose once. We should have beaten Arsenal (unlucky/100% penalty not called).

Last year we lost the final because of a freak opening goal and a De Gea mistake.

With an interim manager there is no telling what will happen. I‘d rather see chaos ball to disrupt Cheaty‘s predictable and predetermined playing.
ten Hag has a decent record vs Klopp, but not Pep. It's the opposite of Solskjaer.

We've only beaten City once from 5 attempts under him. And that was because of a controversial offside goal. We'd need similar luck.

City 6-3 United
United 2-1 City
City 2-1 United (FA Cup final)
United 0-3 City
City 3-1 United

-8GD

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Was listening to the Muppetiers and Roades made a good point.

With all the briefings about the players yesterday it indicates the end of a journey and a 'fresh start' a few players aside. Ten Hag's recent comments have been about continuing the process and working towards something.

It's obvious the club think they need to start again.

NLunited

Was listening to the Muppetiers and Roades made a good point.

With all the briefings about the players yesterday it indicates the end of a journey and a 'fresh start' a few players aside. Ten Hag's recent comments have been about continuing the process and working towards something.

It's obvious the club think they need to start again.
Not much has actually changed. We tried to sell a bunch of players last summer but couldn‘t shift them.

Time to be ruthless. Players that don‘t fit a proactive playstyle need to go. Make them train with the reserves if they refuse offers.

Rista

Sit down with Wilcox, but to d2

No chance. This is pure fantasy, the real world does not work like that.

ETH has excuses but he also has had ample opportunity to react or impress the powers that be.

If somehow you could twist it into a positive losing the final that is, cos we sure as hell aren't winning vs City, it will be a routine win for them.

There is still history, track record and evidence all pointing to him leaving as well as multiple insiders saying he will leave.

1. No takeover invests almost 2bln, replaces all of the backroom executives and then goes forward with a coach they didnt choose. No high profile ownership has done this, it would be stupid and a waste of time and money.

2. They have replaced everyone around him, the technical director, the CEO the recruitment dept and according to the latest reports all but 3 players, 1 of which was his signing. What stretch of logic leads to him not also being replaced?

3. He is into his last year of contract and has under-performed to the degree that his wages will be cut which in itself is proof and reason to sack but also means his payout is almost a tax write off.

Those are just three logical, quantifiable reasons why he wont be here without going into his specific failings any singular one would be enough justification to sack him and start from fresh.

Its only romantic notions of a turnaround or the idea, the non-proven heady fantasy that ETH is actually a world class coach suffering due to circumstances that people have to give any justification to keeping him.

He is not staying, I can tell you, but its staring you straight in the face.
When you put it like that it does make sense. The previous regime would have sacked him for these "performances". It would be pretty crazy if we did what we're doing ie replacing all important personnel at the club and then somehow end up changing everything except the manager. We can't be less ruthless that we previously were. Logic dictates that he just can't stay. If everyone is partly responsible for this mess then so is he and he needs to be held accountable.

Berbaclass

Not much has actually changed. We tried to sell a bunch of players last summer but couldn‘t shift them.

Time to be ruthless. Players that don‘t fit a proactive playstyle need to go. Make them train with the reserves if they refuse offers.
Don't think we briefed to quite this extent that basically nobody is safe. It's looking like they're about to clean house.

NLunited

Don't think we briefed to quite this extent that basically nobody is safe. It's looking like they're about to clean house.
Easier said than done. Look at Maguire this season. He should have been replaced with Kim or someone like that, but is still here.

Imo what happens now will determine whether we will turn things around or muddle on.

Berbaclass

Easier said than done. Look at Maguire this season. He should have been replaced with Kim or someone like that, but is still here.

Imo what happens now will determine whether we will turn things around or muddle on.
You're comparing last season which is now not applicable with the different people in charge.

We've no reason to believe the new regime is fecking around.

IWat

We're going to struggle frankly with most of them because we've put them on silly wages that the calibre of club most will get interest from can't/won't pay. Even with the best will in the world we won't shift them unless we pay them out of their contracts. No one is paying Maguire £200k a week, except us.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
ten Hag has a decent record vs Klopp, but not Pep. It's the opposite of Solskjaer.

We've only beaten City once from 5 attempts under him. And that was because of a controversial offside goal. We'd need similar luck.

City 6-3 United
United 2-1 City
City 2-1 United (FA Cup final)
United 0-3 City
City 3-1 United

-8GD
15 goals against in 5 games :nervous:

Fallon d'Floor

Lots has changed in less than 2 years. ten Hag was announced as United manager just over 2 years ago This is now largely ten Hag's squad

The summer he took control of the club officially, we sold/released 9 first team level players:
  • Grant
  • Matić
  • Garner
  • Pogba
  • Mata
  • Andreas
  • Lingard
  • Chong
  • Cavani
Ronaldo then followed them out the door pretty quickly and then more players were sold/released the following summer.
  • De Gea
  • Henderson
  • Bailly
  • Jones
  • Tuanzebe
  • Telles
  • Fred
  • Elanga

We have moved on a lot of deadwood and high earners over the past few transfer windows. He's lucky that Maguire and McTominay didn't move on, as they've actually saved him in multiple games. Particularly McTominay who has scored multiple important goals.

croadyman

We're going to struggle frankly with most of them because we've put them on silly wages that the calibre of club most will get interest from can't/won't pay. Even with the best will in the world we won't shift them unless we pay them out of their contracts. No one is paying Maguire £200k a week, except us.
Yeah the wages are definitely going to be the biggest sticking point getting rid of these players

gajender

You should push that bet out mate. @Sarni has convinced himself that ETH will still be here in 2034, even if there's a relegation in the mix.
Done though I know he is trolling but it's now reaching Amadeus level which surely can't be healthy but he does let it slip from time to time so there is still hope .

soapythecat

ETH hasn’t got a one of game in him. You’re looking at this very blinkered. He hasn’t changed his approach all season so the final will just be like every other game where we are second best throughout. All the games you quote are when the opposition should have and could have been out of sight. The Arsenal game was almost a smash and grab that we didn’t deserve one bit. To suggest we gave Liverpool a game in any of those games tells me you don’t watch United.
Last years FA cup final was a training match for City and we hardly laid a glove on them. We score with the most pathetic handball going. Let’s not rewrite what happened to lean towards ETH been a competent manager at this level.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Done though I know he is trolling but it's now reaching Amadeus level which surely can't be healthy but he does let it slip from time to time so there is still hope .
I'm not trolling. I have come to terms with the fact that we are stuck with ETH, and I'm now trying to cope with this.

gajender

I'm not trolling. I have come to terms with the fact that we are stuck with ETH, and I'm now trying to cope with this.
Mate not even single manager since Sir Alex retired has survived failure to qualify for Champions league if they were in charge for complete season why do you think it would be any different for Ten Hag .

Relax he is done for here it's just matter of when not if .

M16Red

Lots has changed in less than 2 years. ten Hag was announced as United manager just over 2 years ago This is now largely ten Hag's squad

The summer he took control of the club officially, we sold/released 9 first team level players:
  • Grant
  • Matić
  • Garner
  • Pogba
  • Mata
  • Andreas
  • Lingard
  • Chong
  • Cavani
2 nd season.
  • Ronaldo
  • De Gea
  • Henderson
  • Bailly
  • Jones
  • Tuanzebe
  • Telles
  • Fred
  • Elanga
People seem to forget the amount of players we've got rid off.

Lots for free as well, that's how bad it is - VDB for example 40 million? We'll be lucky to get 2 million.

Teden Mengi 2023? I'm sure he went in 2023

M16Red

400 million and two years later ... all our footballers are for sale, all our lines have major problems, we need to start over from scratch.

If this is not a complete failure, I don't know what it is.

ETH is our worst manager in the past 30 years, worse than Rangnick and Moyes. He wasted 400 million and we don't have a single world-class player.
Spent: 448 million euros = 386 mill pounds

Sales: 81 million euros = 69 mill pounds

Total: 317 million pounds?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Mate not even single manager since Sir Alex retired has survived failure to qualify for Champions league if they were in charge for complete season why do you think it would be any different for Ten Hag .

Relax he is done for here it's just matter of when not if .
We have new ownership now though which I think is going to be focused more on the long term. ETH is also quite good at deflecting the blame and talking extensively about nuances of the game which I expect to convince them to give him a chance.

Zed 101

I was all for Maguire being sold last summer, however cannot see him going this summer as he has been one of our best players, ok he may not be the ETH ideal player, but he has been immense at times, irrespective of wages there should and will be many other players out of the door before Maguire IMO

Valencia Shin Crosses

I was all for Maguire being sold last summer, however cannot see him going this summer as he has been one of our best players, ok he may not be the ETH ideal player, but he has been immense at times, irrespective of wages there should and will be many other players out of the door before Maguire IMO
Which is why you see if you can get a decent fee for him and move him on, because he's coming off a good enough year to potentially have value.

The Cafe only seemingly wants to sell the utterly useless players that have all been terrible for 2 years and then wonders why we struggle to move them on.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Which is why you see if you can get a decent fee for him and move him on, because he's coming off a good enough year to potentially have value.

The Cafe only seemingly wants to sell the utterly useless players that have all been terrible for 2 years and then wonders why we struggle to move them on.
This. Our strategy of "buy high, sell low" has been a huge contributor to the financial mess we're in.

NLunited

Maguire prevents us from defending the way we want. He is a good player but not for us going forward.

Valencia Shin Crosses

This. Our strategy of "buy high, sell low" has been a huge contributor to the financial mess we're in.
Yep. The only times I can even remember us moving a player on while they still have decent market value recently were ADM (who hated it here), Lukaku, and James. The rest of the time we wait for a player to show us 2 years of terrible form before trying to move him for pennies, which for years has been a huge complaint of mine with how we do business when you compare it to clubs like City that can identify the second a player might be declining or losing form and move them on when others might think it's "early".

NLunited

ETH hasn’t got a one of game in him. You’re looking at this very blinkered. He hasn’t changed his approach all season so the final will just be like every other game where we are second best throughout. All the games you quote are when the opposition should have and could have been out of sight. The Arsenal game was almost a smash and grab that we didn’t deserve one bit. To suggest we gave Liverpool a game in any of those games tells me you don’t watch United.
Last years FA cup final was a training match for City and we hardly laid a glove on them. We score with the most pathetic handball going. Let’s not rewrite what happened to lean towards ETH been a competent manager at this level.
I think you are biased; games were a lot closer than the media makes believe and we definitely deserved to beat Pool.

I watched every game btw.