Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 418 47.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 459 52.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The only thing decent he and the club did this summer is bringing Hojlund, so imo that is not one of his undoings. Everything else was absolutely criminal. Splashing 60m on Mount, 50M on Onana while going into the season with loaned in CDM Amrabat, an obviously declining Casemiro, not fully recovered Martinez, Eriksen as our best CM, and that winger department. Add to that his constant ass licking of Rashford who clearly by his own history over achieved last season. Too many player department issues even if he wsa some tactical genius which he clearly is not.
Every manager has done those ridiculous deals though. It’s clear we are completely broken in the recruitment department.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
And Valencia was seen as a donkey back then in relation to what we had and what had gone before him.

So many of the lesser lights of those old squads would be elite in this shambles we have.

Imagine Nani or Berbatov rocking up now. The fanbase would erect statues for both! :lol:
That's why I chose Valencia, the way we saw him was in the context of a great squad which we also took for granted, our teams were very very good. Berbatov would likely end up being burned at the stake by the current players for wizardry.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all our current players are better athletes than some of the starters of our good to great mid to late 2000s teams.

TsuWave

I don't even know who in this team would be labelled as a technician.
I think the closest to technically sound players that we have are Eriksen - but he’s a spent force, and Sancho - but he lacks in other areas and is currently banished

AFC NimbleThumb

With the injured players coming back, Ten Hag is banking on them to hit the ground running. The likes of Shaw, Martinez, Casemiro, Mount etc..
More than.

Martinez has to come back be the leagues best defender & creator off the bat.
Yes. Solksjaer for example wasn't told what the Amad fee needed and didn't know what was paid until it was done.

I'm fine for blaming ten hags coaching and tactics and subs, and I am royally pissed off with a lot of that. I just don't want to hang a criticism had on the transfers because we sucked before him and would have probably sucked after him in that department if INEOS never came
Huh? Ineos have signed who for what?

AFC NimbleThumb

And Valencia was seen as a donkey back then in relation to what we had and what had gone before him.

So many of the lesser lights of those old squads would be elite in this shambles we have.

Imagine Nani or Berbatov rocking up now. The fanbase would erect statues for both! :lol:
The disrespect.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
More than.

Martinez has to come back be the leagues best defender & creator off the bat.

Huh? Ineos have signed who for what?
Im predicting INEOS will improve our transfer business. But had they not joined the club at this moment in time I reckon our transfers would continue to be slapdash, with or without ten hag.

JPRouve

Scout
I think the closest to technically sound players that we have are Eriksen - but he’s a spent force, and Sancho - but he lacks in other areas and is currently banished
That's true, I'm down on Eriksen but he is a good technician, as are Sancho and Martial but these two are generally useless.

Skills

Snitch
The players you listed are on the top end for us, but among elite technicians they are Sunday league players. None of them are technically consistent, as an example Valencia at his best had the ability to control any passes blasted in his direction, he had no left foot but his right foot was technically great, none of our current players match that.
Shaw's technically excellent. He stands out even in the England team even with the likes of Foden in it.

Lee565

Reality is all the time ten hag is here, we will have to witness Antony as a regular shoe horned into the team.

Also when people try to excuse ten hag from the transfer fee for Antony it is still laughable that he valued Antony at all and sees him as a first team player, even if we brought him for 30 million it would have been a awful transfer because you got players like elanga that is better and cost less then 30 million.

Robbie Boy

It's beyond belief that we've spent so much to assemble such an utter mess of a squad.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Genuine question...

How many players have improved under him in the last 18 months? Purple patches to win lucrative contracts don't count.
I can think of probably 1 maybe 2 at the top of my head. AWB and you could argue Maguire this season.

Skills

Snitch

Would've been hated as much as Pogba and Martial by this clubs fanbase.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Nani is what Antony think he is, and Berba had more talent in his one leg, than Rashford .
It's just crazy that in their own time they were nice to have, but not ultimately what we sought, whilst now, either one of them would be seen as saviours.

Moonwalker

The regime hasn’t helped any manager - he should have gotten a proper striker in the Summer but that’s not his fault. However, he was out of his depth the moment he thought Anthony was good enough for United just because he was decent in the Dutch league.
I've seen this raised elsewhere too. The general expectation regarding these things is incredibly unreasonable. If the players that are to join United were at the level of proven ability that some of you think they need to be, they would be virtually unobtainable. If a player is proven in the Premier league, unless he's running down his contract, either his cost is prohibitively high, or he is not for sale. These clubs earn over a hundred million pounds a year from tv money, they won't just sell their best players to United because we ask nicely.

Being good in the Dutch league is perfectly fine. It's where we got Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Jaap Stam from, and Ji-sung Park. If Sir Alex had a time machine, this is where we would have gotten Van der Saar from too. This is where Liverpool got Suarez from.

It's not even the Dutch league specifically. Good recrtuitment consists of indetifying players at this level. You need to identify someone who isn't quite there yet, but who can make the next step. Someone who hasn't scored 30 goals in a major league, but someone who's playing well at Salzburg or Celtic or Sporting. That's the whole trick of good recruitment (which is not to say that it's easy).

Knowing that, it's completely senseless, both as a line of defense for the manager, as well as a way to criticise him, to say that he didn't get someone like Kane.

He needs to buy smart and then elevate these players that aren't proven yet, but we don't know that he can do either of those things.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
That's why I chose Valencia, the way we saw him was in the context of a great squad which we also took for granted, our teams were very very good. Berbatov would likely end up being burned at the stake by the current players for wizardry.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all our current players are better athletes than some of the starters of our good to great mid to late 2000s teams. of the starters of our good to great sides
:lol:

RedRover

Sure, I think what’s happening here is that an ETH supporter is trying to suggest he was briefed the ‘wrong’ budget, and therefore not given the proper tools to work with. Which is bizarre. What happened was we gave him the budget we felt we could afford, and then we gave him even more later.

The responsibility for our disastrous transfers is dual. The club should never have blindly backed ETH like that, and ETH shouldn’t have insisted on signing ageing, raw, ill-suited, mediocre or downright terrible players that he knew would cost a huge chunk of our budget.
Correct. A lot of the fans want to suggest that the awful recruitment was solely down to the admittedly, sub-standard, structure of the club. ETH will have known exactly what the structure was when he took the job and that he'd be (at least in part), responsible for identifying players.

To some extent what we paid for the players is irrelevant if they're not good enough.

The structure of the club from a footballing standpoint is shambolic, but the idea that a coach at the top level can absolve himself of having to be able to identify talent is bizarre. Whilst other clubs have a proper Director of Football or a similar individual involved, clearly the better managers are involved in the process and are not simply handed players and told to get on with it.

Skills

Snitch
It's just crazy that in their own time they were nice to have, but not ultimately what we sought, whilst now, either one of them would be seen as saviours.
They wouldn't really lets be honest. They would've been some of the most disliked players at the club - they weren't even that liked when we were good.

We've had plenty of good players in the last decade. They've all eventually got brought down by the mess around them and the toxicity the managers and fanbase create for the players.

JPRouve

Scout
Shaw's technically excellent. He stands out even in the England team even with the likes of Foden in it.
He is "too" inconsistent, to me technically excellent players are mainly technical consistent which doesn't apply to Shaw. Not only he misshits passes too often, he also misses first touches too often, he is generally above average but he isn't excellent. Also he is likely to mess up under pressure which is an other thing that technically excellent players don't do.

That's probably pedantic but as an example I have Evra as technically good and Marcelo as excellent. Lahm as good and Dani Alves as excellent.

el3mel

With the injured players coming back, Ten Hag is banking on them to hit the ground running. The likes of Shaw, Martinez, Casemiro, Mount etc..
The team was crap with Casemiro, Mount and Shaw playing so not sure how this will make any difference. Casemiro particularly was getting heavily criticized every game he played this season, yet suddenly his absence has been a blow. It's just the hope that kills.

Skills

Snitch
He is "too" inconsistent, to me technically excellent players are mainly technical consistent which doesn't apply to Shaw. Not only he misshits passes too often, he also misses first touches too often, he is generally above average but he isn't excellent. Also he is likely to mess up under pressure which is an other thing that technically excellent players don't do.

That's probably pedantic but as an example I have Evra as technically good and Marcelo as excellent. Lahm as good and Dani Alves as excellent.
I've seldom seen Shaw mess up a first touch. He constantly gets hospital passes launched at him by the touchline under pressure, that he manages to make something out of.

Marcelo and Alves are two all-time greats, but among his current contemporary's he's up there.

Ahmer Baig

His ego let the team down. Didnt want to meet RR. Then gave these overpaid prima donas a clean chit. The sooner he leaves, the better it is for the club.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He had a veto on transfer targets and so did the club which I don't think is abnormal. But as per the Athletic article, the club was in no way set up to offer their own alternatives or challenge his suggestions with anyone who knows their stuff. I think that is the real problem.

If INEOS keep a veto structure, I'd imagine it works better because Mitchell or Edwards can come out with better scouted targets to suppliment ten hags list.

Antony for example was also wanted by the club, not just ten hag. They wanted him when Ole was stil here. I would imagine a better DoF and scout structure would have better names.
They didn't 'want' Antony. They scouted him and decided he was worth £25m, like they would have a valuation on lots of players.

Even ignoring the ridiculous fee, Ten Hag thinking Antony was good enough after his own comments about Guardiola underestimating speed and power in the PL is shocking.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They didn't 'want' Antony. They scouted him and decided he was worth £25m, like they would have a valuation on lots of players.

Even ignoring the ridiculous fee, Ten Hag thinking Antony was good enough after his own comments about Guardiola underestimating speed and power in the PL is shocking.
True, correction under Ole they didn't necessarily want him. But they certainly did under Ten Hag's first window and he was a known asset to our scouts and DoF.

If he was such an obvious flop then our club should have also vetoed it. I agree on the gross misevaluation by ETH, Antony is his single biggest mistake.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Funny that if you so a simple analytical study in this, you see that we are overperforming this season more than last season relative to our actual performance levels.
  • This season we have the 3rd highest xPts overperformance, with 31 pts but 23.78 xPts (7.22 more over just 20 games) - Spurs and West Ham have higher. This ranks us 13th in the table
  • Last season we again had the 3rd highest xPts overperformance, with 75 points from 66.40 xPts, which ranked us 6th. Only Fulham and Arsenal had higher.
Last season visually we looked like a solid top 6 side, maybe the most fragile of the lot (and a crazy fixture list) but a similar level. Some variance and we are 3rd, and xPts did represent that, not a whole lot in it. This season we look like a bottom half club when you watch us, and xPts has us 13th, almost certainly dropping to 14th after the weekend games.

So it's pretty easily to take a more analytical dive into our season and see that it's in fact even worse than what the table shows. Whatever about injuries. We should not be playing that poorly. We are not a bottom half squad, we are not a relegation level attacking unit. That's coaching, that's on Ten Hag.

the_cliff

That's true, I'm down on Eriksen but he is a good technician, as are Sancho and Martial but these two are generally useless.
I know he hasn't really had much time but I'd probably add Amad to that list. The last 30 minutes yesterday Amad showed more technical ability than our other rws have shown all season.

The problem with Amad is he doesn't seem like an athlete at all, can easily see him go down the Martial/Sancho route.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Funny that if you so a simple analytical study in this, you see that we are overperforming this season more than last season relative to our actual performance levels.
  • This season we have the 3rd highest xPts overperformance, with 31 pts but 23.78 xPts (7.22 more over just 20 games) - Spurs and West Ham have higher. This ranks us 13th in the table
  • Last season we again had the 3rd highest xPts overperformance, with 75 points from 66.40 xPts, which ranked us 6th. Only Fulham and Arsenal had higher.
Last season visually we looked like a solid top 6 side, maybe the most fragile of the lot (and a crazy fixture list) but a similar level. Some variance and we are 3rd, and xPts did represent that, not a whole lot in it. This season we look like a bottom half club when you watch us, and xPts has us 13th, almost certainly dropping to 14th after the weekend games.

So it's pretty easily to take a more analytical dive into our season and see that it's in fact even worse than what the table shows. Whatever about injuries. We should not be playing that poorly. We are not a bottom half squad, we are not a relegation level attacking unit. That's coaching, that's on Ten Hag.
Appears that your stats is consistent with his thoughts. I don't think he wants the team to come out and overpeform their XG chronically. He wants more chances to be created.

I think his coaching is likely fine, but the players are just not very good in attack. I saw many moments of peppering the final third at Bournemouth, West ham and Forrest but feck all was created. The attack isn't technically astute or strong in decision making. They are either subpar or too raw. But he did spend a lot of money on that attack so he takes blame there with the DoF.

PoTMS

Appears that your stats is consistent with his thoughts. I don't think he wants the team to come out and overpeform their XG chronically. He wants more chances to be created.

I think his coaching is likely fine, but the players are just not very good in attack. I saw many moments of peppering the final third at Bournemouth, West ham and Forrest but feck all was created. The attack isn't technically astute or strong in decision making. They are either subpar or too raw. But he did spend a lot of money on that attack so he takes blame there with the DoF.
And what do you base this on other than having watched us for 18 months?

Peppering the final third... I've heard it all now.

Eugenius

You realise we were playing Nottingham Forest, right? What they would give to have the player pool we select from.

When our injuries are brought up, then you see the fodder we’re getting mauled by on any given match day, it lends the question of how much of an advantage do people think we need, and also whatever happened to being a unit stronger than its individual components? Why do we always look worse than who we are playing against unless they gift us a high line and/or acres of space to play in through midfield?

We get mauled by thoroughly average or poor sides and injuries of ours are cited; are we just flat track bullies incapable of winning open contests without massive advantages?
I get your point but specifically, Licha and Shaw are big losses as the best ball players in defence. Especially Shaw is our only good attacking full back who actually links with our attackers. And we got done on transition yesterday without a specialist DM, and at least (last season's) Casemiro would have been there. We should have a lot more stability and control with those three in there.

And clearly as well absolutely nothing stuck to Rashford as a #9 yesterday and he didn't press in the way Höjlund does. So yes I still think injuries are a big part of the issue, although I think we will still continue to struggle for goals as we are heavily reliant on individual form.

RedUnited86

I'm interested in what his excuse is going to be when Casemiro, Martinez and Shaw are back and we're still playing like AFC Richmond.

He's fecking delusional. It takes a special kind of narcissist to say you have "no regrets"about the Mainoo substitution when you have the benefit of hindsight and still refuse to acknowledge you clearly fecked up.

bosnian_red

The stats show we are overperforming again this season when he is claiming we are underperforming. We have chronically finished poorly and underperformed our xG relative to actual goals, but we have chronically overperformed our xPts (which means we have been fortunate to win as many games as we have and probably didn't deserve to).

Last season we finished 3rd but underlying metrics pointed to us being probably more fairly in the 4-6 range. This season we are currently 7th but the metrics point to us being in the 11th-17th range if you look at all the clubs who are close to our xPts level.

How can you think that the coaching is fine when on the pitch we are playing at the same level on average as Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, West ham, Forest, Wolves and Fulham? That is where we are in the xPts table, on the pitch in the 7 games we've played against those, we have lost 4 of those games, and not once did we look comfortable in the 3 wins?

You mention player quality being to blame... Well yesterday Elanga was man of the match. The same Elanga who looked useless for Ten Hag and worse than what we had available. Isn't coaching to blame for that difference? The coach should be coaching the attack to improve their decision making, he should be getting players that were highly rated at one point or another to perform well. He should be motivating them properly. These are not relegation standard players, this is shit coaching making them look worse than they are quite often. This isn't being compared to the top 4 teams and injuries holding us back, this is being compared to the teams fighting to stay in the league on a yearly basis. That's our real performance level this season.

mav_9me

I'm interested in what his excuse is going to be when Casemiro, Martinez and Shaw are back and we're still playing like AFC Richmond.

He's fecking delusional. It takes a special kind of narcissist to say you have "no regrets"about the Mainoo substitution when you have the benefit of hindsight and still refuse to acknowledge you clearly fecked up.
That would be throwing McT under the bus. He is not going to say that.

Having said that, I don't watch his interviews. So I don't know if he is taking any accountability for our situation or not.

the_cliff

The stats show we are overperforming again this season when he is claiming we are underperforming. We have chronically finished poorly and underperformed our xG relative to actual goals, but we have chronically overperformed our xPts (which means we have been fortunate to win as many games as we have and probably didn't deserve to).

Last season we finished 3rd but underlying metrics pointed to us being probably more fairly in the 4-6 range. This season we are currently 7th but the metrics point to us being in the 11th-17th range if you look at all the clubs who are close to our xPts level.

How can you think that the coaching is fine when on the pitch we are playing at the same level on average as Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, West ham, Forest, Wolves and Fulham? That is where we are in the xPts table, on the pitch in the 7 games we've played against those, we have lost 4 of those games, and not once did we look comfortable in the 3 wins?

You mention player quality being to blame... Well yesterday Elanga was man of the match. The same Elanga who looked useless for Ten Hag and worse than what we had available. Isn't coaching to blame for that difference? The coach should be coaching the attack to improve their decision making, he should be getting players that were highly rated at one point or another to perform well. He should be motivating them properly. These are not relegation standard players, this is shit coaching making them look worse than they are quite often.
I'm not defending ETH but there's a big difference in the way teams play against you when you play for Forest and Manchester United.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

You mention player quality being to blame... Well yesterday Elanga was man of the match. The same Elanga who looked useless for Ten Hag and worse than what we had available. Isn't coaching to blame for that difference? The coach should be coaching the attack to improve their decision making, he should be getting players that were highly rated at one point or another to perform well. He should be motivating them properly. These are not relegation standard players, this is shit coaching making them look worse than they are quite often. This isn't being compared to the top 4 teams and injuries holding us back, this is being compared to the teams fighting to stay in the league on a yearly basis. That's our real performance level this season.
You are assuming he is referring to underperforming only on chance creation. You can't just assume XG as a case for over performance. We underperformed on chance creation, controlling games, defensive errors, all of it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The stats show we are overperforming again this season when he is claiming we are underperforming.
In terms of results relative to underlying statistics, yes. But based on the context of the quote I think it's pretty clear that wasn't what he was referring to.

bosnian_red

You are assuming he is referring to underperforming only on chance creation. You can't just assume XG as a case for over performance. We underperformed on chance creation, controlling games, defensive errors, all of it.
I am arguing his stance that we are underperforming this season by saying actually, we are lucky to have 31 points on the season, and our actual performance levels probably deserves 5-10 points fewer. You can't just say everything is underperforming so we look like a relegation level side on paper. Over or underperform for me is always going to point to the metrics like xG differential per 90 and where we rank in that vs rank in the real points table (hint, we are 11th). Or look at how we rank with xPts (13th). Our real points level and real table ranking of 7th in the league is great relative to where we actually deserve to be.

The way to improve that is simply just... Coaching better. Coaching influences performance levels. There can be luck affecting the finishing and goalkeeping bounces. But that wouldn't show that much if you looked at xG differential and xPts.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I am arguing his stance that we are underperforming this season by saying actually, we are lucky to have 31 points on the season, and our actual performance levels probably deserves 5-10 points fewer. You can't just say everything is underperforming so we look like a relegation level side on paper. Over or underperform for me is always going to point to the metrics like xG differential per 90 and where we rank in that vs rank in the real points table (hint, we are 11th). Or look at how we rank with xPts (13th). Our real points level and real table ranking of 7th in the league is great relative to where we actually deserve to be.

The way to improve that is simply just... Coaching better. Coaching influences performance levels. There can be luck affecting the finishing and goalkeeping bounces. But that wouldn't show that much if you looked at xG differential and xPts.
Yes but you are not really getting his point. He clearly believes that the team is not performing to a standard in terms of chance creation, control, defensive errors etc. None of this is reflected in XG. In fact the fact that we create so few chances makes it unsurprising we overperform XG.

Overperforming on XG does not take away from his point that the team is actually underperforming in terms of standards. He isn't fighting the point that we just aren't clinical enough, he's saying in his own words, we just aren't playing well enough in various areas of the game.

bosnian_red

In terms of results relative to underlying statistics, yes. But based on the context of the quote I think it's pretty clear that wasn't what he was referring to.
So he is saying that last year we were 3rd but player availability wise we probably should have been 6th (which our underlying metrics also showed)? That's fair. There also wasn't a lot in it between 2nd and 6th in metrics.

One summer and 200m later, he is now saying that we are 7th but underperforming? I'd agree that we are playing worse than expectation and playing worse than what we have available. I'd agree that it'd be easier if we had everyone available. But our actual results are definitely overperforming relative to the performances we've put out on the pitch.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I've seen this raised elsewhere too. The general expectation regarding these things is incredibly unreasonable. If the players that are to join United were at the level of proven ability that some of you think they need to be, they would be virtually unobtainable. If a player is proven in the Premier league, unless he's running down his contract, either his cost is prohibitively high, or he is not for sale. These clubs earn over a hundred million pounds a year from tv money, they won't just sell their best players to United because we ask nicely.

Being good in the Dutch league is perfectly fine. It's where we got Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Jaap Stam from, and Ji-sung Park. If Sir Alex had a time machine, this is where we would have gotten Van der Saar from too. This is where Liverpool got Suarez from.

It's not even the Dutch league specifically. Good recrtuitment consists of indetifying players at this level. You need to identify someone who isn't quite there yet, but who can make the next step. Someone who hasn't scored 30 goals in a major league, but someone who's playing well at Salzburg or Celtic or Sporting. That's the whole trick of good recruitment (which is not to say that it's easy).

Knowing that, it's completely senseless, both as a line of defense for the manager, as well as a way to criticise him, to say that he didn't get someone like Kane.

He needs to buy smart and then elevate these players that aren't proven yet, but we don't know that he can do either of those things.
The point is he managed him every day and would’ve known his level, he’s out of his depth to think that could transfer to United.