Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

stevoc

I'm just going by the Athletic tweet today that says they think he's not been given a fair shake.
Doesn't necessarily mean they think he's done a good job despite that or that they're planning to keep him.

New owners almost always want their own manager in place asap. If Ineos are of the same thinking they probably won't look at this season and think Ten Hag's given them much reason to keep him instead.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Doesn't necessarily mean they think he's done a good job despite that or that they're planning to keep him.

New owners almost always want their own manager in place asap. If Ineos are of the same thinking they probably won't look at this season and think Ten Hag's given them much reason to keep him instead.
The tweet pretty much said they're planning for him being in charge next season.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

How can they even come to the conclusion that he wasn't given a fair shake? By what evidence? The glazers gave him power over transfers, 400 mil over two seasons, and freedom to set the team up however he wanted. How is that not getting a fair shake?

hobbers

The tweet pretty much said they're planning for him being in charge next season.
But if you read what was actually written in the actual article it is the same bog standard non committal quote that's been going for months. "United continue to insist they are planning with ETH in mind for next season"

And if they're not expecting to sack him before the end of the season they're obviously going to keep toeing that line, because there's a cup final to play.

mythz

Be a horrible reflection on Ineos competence if they waste another season of football for ETH.

Especially after not wasting a season giving second chances out to other people who clearly didnt deserve them.

I prefer no manager then another season with eth.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But if you read what was actually written in the actual article it is the same bog standard non committal quote that's been going for months. "United continue to insist they are planning with ETH in mind for next season"

And if they're not expecting to sack him before the end of the season they're obviously going to keep toeing that line, because there's a cup final to play.
You must've missed the very next tweet that says until they're not.
I dont see that as hugely non committal.
Of course, they may sack him but I see that latest quote as leaning toward keeping him, probably given circumstances he has had coupled with the market right now.

Of course they may alternatively decide he's shite and has to go, in which case fair enough.

Blood Mage

I'm just going by the Athletic tweet today that says they think he's not been given a fair shake.
Yeah it's not like he was given 400m to spend and pissed it away on trash or players that he decided he didn't fancy after two games.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah it's not like he was given 400m to spend and pissed it away on trash or players that he decided he didn't fancy after two games.
Hes made a bunch of silly mistakes but the 400m argument is so weak :lol:

We wasted money long before ten hag walked through the door. You have clowns as negotiators and sack off global scouts and this tends to happen. Shock horror.

The Mitcher

We wasted money long before ten hag walked through the door. You have clowns as negotiators and sack off global scouts and this tends to happen. Shock horror.
Non sequitur. The fact remains is that HE DID waste the money and did not veto these deals when the sums of money were getting ridiculous. He pursued these players and would only go for a plan B in rare instances late in the season when cheaper better performing players moved.

FootballAI

Unlike previous managers, the management did fully support Ten Hag and went for all players that Ten Hag wanted at crazy price with the exception of De Jong who did not really want to move. Our negotiators were bad previously but with the stubbornness of fraud Ten Hag they weren't given much room to negotiate. BTW I am watching Sancho, he plays well again today, maybe he was right about Ten Hag.

He should just resign in shame for what he did to our club.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
I dont see that as hugely non committal.
Of course, they may sack him but I see that latest quote as leaning toward keeping him, probably given circumstances he has had coupled with the market right now.

Of course they may alternatively decide he's shite and has to go, in which case fair enough.
Quote? this is an opinion bro.
There are no quotes with INEOS backing the manager and he hasnt been offered a new contract.

The Mitcher

Unlike previous managers, the management did fully support Ten Hag and went for all players that Ten Hag wanted at crazy price with the exception of De Jong who did not really want to move. Our negotiators were bad previously but with the stubbornness of fraud Ten Hag they weren't given much room to negotiate. BTW I am watching Sancho, he plays well again today, maybe he was right about Ten Hag.

He should just resign in shame for what he did to our club.
Sancho played bad way before ten hag, though...

manichester

E.T.H cannot coach a team to see out a lead into the last few minutes of a game. It is more evidence of his inability to organize and implement control.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
E.T.H cannot coach a team to see out a lead into the last few minutes of a game. It is more evidence of his inability to organize and implement control.
I agree but I also think we have players that lack concentration, ETH makes mistakes all the time though when we’re leading and he thinks bringing on Mctominay will give us control. He should be bringing on Eriksen towards end of games to give us control.

Werd.

Not getting rid of an incompetent manager to avoid costs is a total chump play.

I'm hoping INEOS are just keeping their cards close to their chest.

RORY65

And the alternative managers available to replace you are all a bit meh.
The options are always a bit meh in fairness and we'll have to hope a gamble works whether it's this year, next or in 5 years time, I'm not sure why a lot of posters think if we wait a year that the options will suddenly be much better. In the last 5 years we've appointed Ten Hag, Arsenal have appointed Arteta (a novice and total gamble), Spurs have appointed Mourinho (past it), Nuno (terrible), Conte (currently available) and Postecoglou (a gamble from a vastly infeior league) while Chelsea appointed Lampard (crap), Tuchel (available in the summer), Potter (currently available) and then Pochettino (the only alternative we had to Ten Hag who is currently doing a very poor job).

I do think Ten Hag most likely will get another year though, I'm not sure they will want to make their first managerial appointment in to a situation where we have a technical director joining in mid April and covering for other people, our permanent CEO not joining until July and no director of football or head of recruitment currently in place. We can't espouse the need for a proper structure and then pretend it's ready to support a new manager this summer.

FootballAI

I agree but I also think we have players that lack concentration, ETH makes mistakes all the time though when we’re leading and he thinks bringing on Mctominay will give us control. He should be bringing on Eriksen towards end of games to give us control.
Bringing McT wasn't the problem, as McT scored some important late goals this season. My favourite is when he brought on Amrabat everytime we were winning then it got reversed to a draw or loss.

Oscar Bonavena

He's gotten more than a "fair shake".

If Ineos are planning on keeping him, I'd really like to know what they see in the team's style of play and development over the past 12 months that make them think he's the man for the job.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Problem is, he had actually managed Antony. I couldn't see it, so we didn't need scouts to not see it. I couldn't even wrap my head around Antony over Kudus.

My only reservation was precisely the fact he had managed both so surely he had first-hand knowledge of why Antony and why spunk so much money on him... right?

Clearly not.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Non sequitur. The fact remains is that HE DID waste the money and did not veto these deals when the sums of money were getting ridiculous. He pursued these players and would only go for a plan B in rare instances late in the season when cheaper better performing players moved.
The checks and balances were made above him. Money was wasted by decision makers above Ten Hag. Money has been wasted for a decade before Ten Hag. Blaming Ten Hag primarily for money wasted is an absolute bollocks argument, because there's feck all support for any manager since well before he came. Part of the problem at the club was the lack of a proper system to save managers from themselves and embedding a transfer policy consistent throughout the club's ethos.

It doesn't matter whether it's Ten Hag or Klopp, if you give a manager sole reign and no proper support on transfer targets, you'll waste a feck ton of money. Perhaps you should review how Liverpool operated under Edwards or how City operate under Tixi before lazily going round with "blargh xyz wasted money he is sew bad man".
Quote? this is an opinion bro.
There are no quotes with INEOS backing the manager and he hasnt been offered a new contract.
I'm referring to the post quote, which references the Athletic. I don't think theyd need to renew his contract, he has another year to go.
Problem is, he had actually managed Antony. I couldn't see it, so we didn't need scouts to not see it. I couldn't even wrap my head around Antony over Kudus.
Well reported that he had reservations about returning to Ajax to transfers. Also noted that he did not decide the Antony fee, and that the Antony pursuit was unanimous across the club. That being said I definitely blame Ten Hag for the transfer as he should have known better about him. He however did not decide to pay £80m for him, Murtough and the board did. Sure, Ten Hag would have been OK with it if the higher ups were, but it's their job to primarily manage the funds not his.

soapythecat

He’s either sacked or a new contract will be announced before the transfer window. No way a serious structured club will allow him to go into the season on his final years. Players, coaches, potential signings, sponsors…everyone will not be happy about it. Him actually having one year left on the contract makes the decision more difficult in my eyes as they have to make a stick or twist move. There isn’t really an option to just let him start next season and give him say 8 games to see where we are at. If the players sniff doubt they will justdown tools as usual.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He’s either sacked or a new contract will be announced before the transfer window. No way a serious structured club will allow him to go into the season on his final years. Players, coaches, potential signings, sponsors…everyone will not be happy about it. Him actually having one year left on the contract makes the decision more difficult in my eyes as they have to make a stick or twist move. There isn’t really an option to just let him start next season and give him say 8 games to see where we are at. If the players sniff doubt they will justdown tools as usual.
It's more common than you think for a coach to go into his final year. Even Ancelotti was in that position just a few months ago.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

It’s a bit more specific than that but I broadly agree. I don’t think it’s him safe and I wouldn’t believe he is until season’s end.

It’s at least another public recognition of our lack of sporting prestige in senior positions but little more than that.

stevoc

Well unless Ratcliffe or Ineos made the Tweet then I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Standard clickbait stuff.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I think leaving him in his final year is a good scenario.

If he’s successful offer a new contract knowing you’re going to commit to him for the next few years. If we have another terrible season then it’s easy to replace and you have time to actually consider what you want in the longer term.

stevoc

How can they even come to the conclusion that he wasn't given a fair shake? By what evidence? The glazers gave him power over transfers, 400 mil over two seasons, and freedom to set the team up however he wanted. How is that not getting a fair shake?
Genuinely have no idea mate, didn't read the article. If the article is correct then the only thing I can think of is the injuries but that seems unlikely. I personally think they're just briefing that they are going forward with keeping him in mind because they don't want speculation building before the end of the season that he's going.

stevoc

Well to be fair we haven't really needed scouts since Ten hag came in. He's identifying the majority of our targets based on players he's familiar with.

soapythecat

I think leaving him in his final year is a good scenario.

If he’s successful offer a new contract knowing you’re going to commit to him for the next few years. If we have another terrible season then it’s easy to replace and you have time to actually consider what you want in the longer term.
I can’t see him going into the season without a new contract. The scenario you suggest suits the fans opinions maybe but players will sense the lack of trust from owners. The will be worse than this season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well unless Ratcliffe or Ineos made the Tweet then I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Standard clickbait stuff.
It's not really clickbait if it's coming from Athletic, is it? They are known to source their information very well - and we know there was a meeting among United chiefs today.
Well to be fair we haven't really needed scouts since Ten hag came in. He's identifying the majority of our targets based on players he's familiar with.
Because the structure is broken. He didn't ask for unanimous control, I don't know why we have a narrative insinuating he did. If he worked alongside proper scouts and a proper DoF then he'd likely be challenged a lot more.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I can’t see him going into the season without a new contract. The scenario you suggest suits the fans opinions maybe but players will sense the lack of trust from owners. The will be worse than this season.
Well he’s not going to voluntarily cancel his contract and it would be premature to offer a new one. I don’t think INEOS are stupid here and personally I think it makes most sense for all involved.

Ten Hag won’t be offered a job bigger than United this season so he won’t leave voluntarily.

But with him staying the players don’t get a free ride and fresh start, we find out if Ten Hag is actually good enough with a better structure and less disruption and we get the time needed to find a better alternative if he doesnt come good.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Like they are going to say anything different
Well it’s clearly a media brief and at this point they really don’t need to say anything at all.

So it’s the fact it’s been briefed that is interesting more than what has been said. The timing is very interesting too.