Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 304 41.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 436 58.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Woziak

Yes I'd agree with that. Ole isn't as bad as many of us (including myself) thought, and ETH isn't as good as many of us (including myself) thought. Still neither one is the required standard.
Exactly but Ole never lost 5 PL home games from first 13 played and a negative goal difference, not even Moyes was that bad stats tell you everything and ETH is the biggest fraud in football, give me Tuchel, Naigelman, Conte, Mourinho, Flick any of the above so we can stop giving up leads and giving up midfield possession and embarrassing the club.

We all thought it was 11 or 12 players out, I’d go as far as to say we need 14 or 15 players out and 3 must go from Bruno, Rashford, Casemiro and Varane combined those 4 earn £1.25m per week.

If PSG offer £70m for Rashford, we must sell, if the same offer for Bruno he’ll be gone as well. Merson right United are Pollyfilla FC, Fluking results by filing the cracks. Paul Merson, if united won the PL in next 5 years, the manager should be knighted.

I genuinely believe ETH this season has been our worst managerial performance since Sir Alex, he must go after the city game.

BarstoolProphet

The best option is to let Erik go now and give his replacement the rest of the season to assess the squad and determine exactly what is needed to be done in the summer window.
In a perfect world, yes. Just don't see a viable option the middle of the season.

Von Mistelroum

Right now, the plan will be to keep EtH until the season ends and I don't think much would change that, then they'll make a decision.

Something that would change that, would be the almost inevitable humiliation from City that's incoming. A 6+ goal defeat wouldn't be too difficult for City, but I feel like Pep is the one manager sneaky and switched on enough to tell them to go easy after a few goals so that he doesn't get the sack right away.

Irwin99

I get that people are pissed at the manager and even though i want him to succeed you simply can't argue if he was sacked at the end of the season, injury crisis or not.

HOWEVER, players are getting away with so much, even in the press conferences, so few people are asking questions of the players besides the obvious scapegoats like Martial and Antony. With Hojlund out today we needed Casemiro, Varane, Rashford and Bruno to step up and guide the team. Evidently they didn't.

Rashford is on course for two out of three abysmal seasons (20-21 wasn't that good either to be honest despite the goals) and is a our highest paid player. Bruno is chaos personified, Casemiro and Varane are constantly being linked with moves away from the club, and we have Victor Lindelof still playing for us after eight years or so. Add to this players like Maguire and McTominay who to be fair have worked hard but should have been sold in the summer and you have a very unsettled club.

Just tear the fecking team down in the summer and rebuild around Mainoo, Garnacho, Hojlund, Martinez and Dalot. Even if it means a season or two out of the champions league like Arsenal a few years back i'd take it just to get a sense of a real rebuild centered around young and quality players. I'm just tired of so many of these Ole/LVG/Jose players still at the club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The measurement is the same as ever.
Fail to hit champions league, and you have an extra place to aim for this year, and you're gone.

He's got 3months but it's not looking good.

New owners love a new manager appointment so if we fail, so be it.

NK86

The best option is to let Erik go now and give his replacement the rest of the season to assess the squad and determine exactly what is needed to be done in the summer window.
That should not be just a manager decision anyway. We have learnt nothing if we still insist on the manager deciding our recruitment. We should definitely sack Eth but whoever comes in should have vastly restricted role in squad recruitment.

Jericholyte2

Again, what would people have done differently?

- Start Diallo instead at RW after he’s been out all season?
- Start ??? at ST as we’ve got such a depth of talent in that position?
- Who would have magically played in CM when Mainoo had a poor game?

I get we’re depressingly used to being overrun in midfield, but what’s the solution? Who (within the squad) is being overlooked who can provide the energy and quality to stop this?

I get the performance was shit, I get that the result was shit, but with long term injuries to key players who are integral to the way we want to play, what do we expect?

roseguy64

Its a massive issue and one of the first things that needs to be addressed. The club, and crucially, the support are in a malaise.

So many here still making excuses for him. It has been an absolutely terrible season. The worst since Ferguson retired. There are no excuses big enough for how poor it’s been.

He absolutely needs to go, and Rashford should be sold as a statement of intent. He isn’t good enough and doesn’t fight for the shirt and the players need to see him going and realize the era of “whatever” is well and truly over.
Yeah Rashford is definitely the biggest problem in the team. We can blame everything on him. Sounds good.

Overhaul FC

I mean just look at those stats. Total suicide playing this way and what makes it worse is that the guy is so stubborn and thinks he's hot sh*t because of one lucky Champions League semifinal run that he ended up choking anyways in the worst way possible. Roberto Di Matteo and Tuchel won the Champions League. You're not special mate. We should have known. He is the manager that allowed fecking Tottenham get to a Champions League final.
What were the shots against stats in the 3 or 4 games Martinez played at the back with Varane?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The INEOS team is already making those assessments and determinations. It won't be up to this manager or the next one. No more 'clean slates'.

Woziak

Think people are being harsh, put together a good run. Team isn't good enough to win every game. Focus needs to be recruiting better players first. If they can do that and find a better manager, even better.
He’s on borrowed time you lose 15 games out of 36 that’s a 42% loss rate why are we even having this discussion he needs to go in the next two games when his loss rate by then will be nearer 50%.

Personally I’d sack him after City Game.

AndySmith1990

That should not be just a manager decision anyway. We have learnt nothing if we still insist on the manager deciding our recruitment. We should definitely sack Eth but whoever comes in should have vastly restricted role in squad recruitment.
Based on Ratcliffe comments and the work Ineos are doing, I'm pretty sure that will be the case from now on. The days of buying Ten Hag's pals are over

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
:D :D

How come people are seeing this now. As delusional as ETH is with his playing style many of the fans here are as delusional or even more than ETH.

Some of us have sung this song for more than 12 months now till people thought we were critical for no reason.

My conclusion remains.

Either ETH leaves or Bruno leaves. I said in July last year we won't be with both of them in 18 months. The center will not hold anymore. Playing transitional football is unscale-able and unsustainable.

We will go round in circles until we get a courageous manager to bin all transitional players in this team. As Ratcliffe is decisive in club directions and personnel we need a courageous manager who will bin off this useless playing style.

Give even Carrick this team he will set us better and have us compact, at least Carrick was courageous enough to bench Bruno. if Carrick was here Bruno wouldn't be in this team by now and our team would have evolved alot.

We play once a week but we get muscle injuries, we have no urgency, we lack precision, we lack patterns in our play BECAUSE we play in a way that it's unscale-able, you can't upgrade our playing style to any other level.

Ask yourself who we would sign to upgrade this playing style?

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Once we get Ashworth and co in, get rid of ETH. He sets his team up to make the same mistakes regardless of which players are in position. The half press and deep line opens up the midfield. It's madness. We all think Casemiro is done at this level, when it looks like no player could make this tactic work.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Yeah Rashford is definitely the biggest problem in the team. We can blame everything on him. Sounds good.
Player/salary wise, he is absolutely the biggest problem on the team. His salary/stature is on par with Salah and Haaland. He isn’t good enough to be in the first team, nevermind on that standing.

Who is “blaming everything on him”?

tjb

We aren’t even riddled by injuries. We have like 4 or 5 players out.
Exactly. For me, this has been the biggest myth this season. We have had injuries at varying points, but for the most part, we should have always had enough on the pitch to play good football. I watch other teams when they lose players. Good teams with good managers can destroy mid-table teams with much less talent than we've had available this season. The truth that fans don't want to be honest about is that we lack cohesion, not because we don't have talent or our players aren't smart, but because we don't have a good enough manager. We got it wrong again. When the pressure is highest, he wilts. Not the players, the manager. He's not a planner, so doesn't know how to adjust when things aren't going his way. His plan A hasn't worked all season, and he hasn't even bothered trying to find a plan b. So if he lacks the urgency, intensity and perseverence to find new playing strategies, what makes fans think he's coming up with a refined approach that players simply aren't carrying out well. I see a poor manager who has been out of his depth since the beginning of the season, being propped up by fans due to the idea that he can get a team to play decent football based solely on his Ajax career. The excuses for him won't exist if this was Brendan Rodgers, Graham Potter or Eddie Howe.

We had enough talent to qualify out of the group stages of the Champions League. However our play says it all. In the group stages, we averaged 45% possession. In the league we are averaging 51% possession. Ole, Mourinho, and Moyes were being crucified for averaging 54% possession. We're also conceding more shots than attempts, which none of the aforementioned managers did, yet we expect to win games. The expectations are so low that fans go on a mini 5 game run against mostly poor opposition, where we play poorly outside of a game against West Ham ( one of 2 good league games all season) and fans lap it up like its something special. Right now, over the course of the season, we actually celebrate simply winning games, that's how low we've sunken. No amount of injury crisis should lead to us being in this kind of shape and accepting it.

RedRocket9908

A manager has to have a say in the clubs transfer business, he works with the squad on the training ground so will be the best person to decide who should be moved on and the one who will know which type of players need to be signed to fit the way he wants to play.

jamesjimmybyrondean

My guess is he will be gone if we don’t make top 4 and the performances definitely wouldn’t be good enough to make a case for him

Woziak

I would take Tuchel this second.
Absolutely got a point to prove and knows the PL plus he actually performs better when he’s not expected to win big trophies, Dortmund and rebuilding Chelsea, only Klopp and Tuchel have taken two different teams to a CL final. If he’s available now I’d take him.

ForeverRed1

no not at all,

however, he is our talisman, our highest paid player so of course the expectation is high with him. He should in theory by our spark. He should be a shining light in this team, this club. Lead by example. Always give 100%, after all he is United born and bred right?

that’s why he gets called out. He probably runs the least out of everyone and that’s no exaggeration. He doesn’t press, barely tracks back and ducks out of 50/50s constantly. His body language doesn’t seem right either.

something is a miss with him, it’s just a absolute fact at this point.

One thing is certain, ETH doesn’t instruct him to do any of the above. The blame with him is that he keeps on picking him despite this.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Exactly. For me, this has been the biggest myth this season. We have had injuries at varying points, but for the most part, we should have always had enough on the pitch to play good football. I watch other teams when they lose players. Good teams with good managers can destroy mid-table teams with much less talent than we've had available this season. The truth that fans don't want to be honest about is that we lack cohesion, not because we don't have talent or our players aren't smart, but because we don't have a good enough manager. We got it wrong again. When the pressure is highest, he wilts. Not the players, the manager. He's not a planner, so doesn't know how to adjust when things aren't going his way. His plan A hasn't worked all season, and he hasn't even bothered trying to find a plan b. So if he lacks the urgency, intensity and perseverence to find new playing strategies, what makes fans think he's coming up with a refined approach that players simply aren't carrying out well. I see a poor manager who has been out of his depth since the beginning of the season, being propped up by fans due to the idea that he can get a team to play decent football based solely on his Ajax career. The excuses for him won't exist if this was Brendan Rodgers, Graham Potter or Eddie Howe.

We had enough talent to qualify out of the group stages of the Champions League. However our play says it all. In the group stages, we averaged 45% possession. In the league we are averaging 51% possession. Ole, Mourinho, and Moyes were being crucified for averaging 54% possession. We're also conceding more shots than attempts, which none of the aforementioned managers did, yet we expect to win games. The expectations are so low that fans go on a mini 5 game run against mostly poor opposition, where we play poorly outside of a game against West Ham ( one of 2 good league games all season) and fans lap it up like its something special. Right now, over the course of the season, we actually celebrate simply winning games, that's how low we've sunken. No amount of injury crisis should lead to us being in this kind of shape and accepting it.
I disagree that we played well against West Ham.

Otherwise, agreed. It's ridiculous.

Revan

Assumptionman
To be fair, the writing was in the wall. We were playing like shit despite winning the last four matches, and it was only a matter of time when the luck will run out. Yet, mentioning that we were playing bad in the last few games, and the usual suspects would jump about people being ‘manager haters’.

Let’s face it, you might like it or not, but ten Hag is a very mediocre manager who should have been sacked months ago. We yet again sacrificed another season persisting with a manager completely out of his depth.

Dazzmondo

I don't see any logic in keeping ETH until we're out of CL. Whoever we bring in isn't going to have any pressure on them for the rest of the season. If they fail to get CL, whatever, they were in a difficult position to begin with. I think the fanbase would understand. They'd at least give us more of a chance

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

A statistic that says everything that needs to be said. You aren't winning s-t if teams keep having chance after chance against you.

Red Royal

Today's performance has changed it from 'give him time' to 'he is done'.
Lindelof should not have been at LB today... subs were strange and most of all there was a lack of effort. I like Ten Hag, nice guy and dealt with some of the dead wood, bit is now clearly out of his depth...it has been masked by some fortunate wins recently.

tomaldinho1

Can someone explain to me how he sets up a midfield?

Wide open every week, it's truly bizarre.
He starts Bruno so it’s almost irrelevant.
:D :D

How come people are seeing this now. As delusional as ETH is with his playing style many of the fans here are as delusional or even more than ETH.

Some of us have sung this song for more than 12 months now till people thought we were critical for no reason.

My conclusion remains.

Either ETH leaves or Bruno leaves. I said in July last year we won't be with both of them in 18 months. The center will not hold anymore. Playing transitional football is unscale-able and unsustainable.

We will go round in circles until we get a courageous manager to bin all transitional players in this team. As Ratcliffe is decisive in club directions and personnel we need a courageous manager who will bin off this useless playing style.

Give even Carrick this team he will set us better and have us compact, at least Carrick was courageous enough to bench Bruno. if Carrick was here Bruno wouldn't be in this team by now and our team would have evolved alot.

We play once a week but we get muscle injuries, we have no urgency, we lack precision, we lack patterns in our play BECAUSE we play in a way that it's unscale-able, you can't upgrade our playing style to any other level.

Ask yourself who we would sign to upgrade this playing style?
Agreed it it’s been years in the making. The midfield issue has been there since Mou, Bruno compounded it by basically playing wherever he wanted which Ole accommodated by pairing McFred, ETH has suicidally gone for a single DM and Bruno and it will cost him. I used to always post about a manager reigning Bruno in but he’s 30, it’s too late, we need to look to the future.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
A manager has to have a say in the clubs transfer business, he works with the squad on the training ground so will be the best person to decide who should be moved on and the one who will know which type of players need to be signed to fit the way he wants to play.
SJR made it clear in his interview that the club will be deciding how we want to play and will make hiring and transfer decisions accordingly. The tail won't be wagging the dog anymore.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

A statistic that says everything that needs to be said. You aren't winning s-t if teams keep having chance after chance against you.
They are all low quality chances I've been told, so it's fine.