Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 56 26.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 156 73.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Do you think Ruben Dias or John Stones are quick? Or Lewis Dunk and Jan Paul Van Hecke? Why can’t Maguire and Varane/Lindelof do it? Those managers of those teams press high and keep the defensive line high.

Thefact that we are still pressing so high while dropping so deep is unacceptable. The chasm it creates in midfield is outstandingly shite. It’s clear that the coaching is not of an acceptable standard.
Is this a serious question?

To answer it - yes as a CB John Stones is quick. He's Usain Bolt compared to Harry Maguire.
And as a full back, Lindelof is even slower than normal, which was already pretty slow. City have Ake as a comparison there, not Dias. They also have more runners infront of them.

RedRover

I agree with what you have said, but surely the bit in bold is the one thing we have to avoid doing again? Unless you aren't implying the new manager will be at the centre of new signings.
I think if they do move ETH on, any top manager coming in will want to know that there's resources available, even if they're not controlling who to buy. Anyone looking at this squad will want to move 5 or 6 on and bring in 3 or 4, I'd expect.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Makes complete sense to keep playing it then.
As I said, we haven't executed it well but he was going off the back off 5 wins in the bounce into a game at OT.

I agree with the sentiment that when we were getting overrun at 0-0 he should have fixed it with better subs. The Eriksen move was just really thick and indefensible.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
As I said, we haven't executed it well but he was going off the back off 5 wins in the bounce into a game at OT.

I agree with the sentiment that when we were getting overrun at 0-0 he should have fixed it with better subs. The Eriksen move was just really thick and indefensible.
The 5 wins were very fortunate, many of us saw yesterday coming a mile away.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The 5 wins were very fortunate, many of us saw yesterday coming a mile away.
Thats said almost every game. Think it was you that backed us to lose to Villa after we beat West Ham 3-0.

So generally yes, if you keep saying we are going to lose, for 5-6 games in a row, one of these times you will be right.

Not really relevant to the point I made, though.

Leftback99

Thats said almost every game. Think it was you that backed us to lose to Villa after we beat West Ham 3-0.

So generally yes, if you keep saying we are going to lose, for 5-6 games in a row, one of these times you will be right.

Not really relevant to the point I made, though.
Yep and I'd fully expect us to lose if we played them tomorrow. So would the non biased majority and the bookies, because they know what they are looking at with our performances.

littlepeasoup

These lads from Ineos, they're not the braindead morons who were running the club before - and the manager will know he's running a very fine line, not because it's likely we'll miss out on Champions League football for next season (although I assume that will come into the equation) but that it just doesn't seem EtH is really able to get the best out of his players. Unless he's able to do some monumental sweet talking behind closed doors I reckon he'll be for the chop.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yep and I'd fully expect us to lose if we played them tomorrow. So would the non biased majority and the bookies, because they know what they are looking at with our performances.
You do understand you have no credibility if you keep saying you expect us to lose, get right one time out of 5 and say "ha I told you!", right?

Robbie Boy

I will remain of the opinion that he has the safest job in the league and is going to be untouchable for another 12+ months. If there’s one thing he is good at it is talking the talk, he will have assured our new governors behind the scenes that everything is heading in the right direction and I don’t delude myself into thinking that they won’t buy it.
This notion you have is mental. If he is here next season, and it's anything like this one, he'll be long gone before the season ends.

Leftback99

You do understand you have no credibility if you keep saying you expect us to lose, get right one time out of 5 and say "ha I told you!", right?
You realise you lose all credibility of knowing what you're talking about when you think 5 games is a good sample size?

Who would you have as favourites if we play Villa away tomorrow?

Is this a serious question?

To answer it - yes as a CB John Stones is quick. He's Usain Bolt compared to Harry Maguire.
And as a full back, Lindelof is even slower than normal, which was already pretty slow. City have Ake as a comparison there, not Dias. They also have more runners infront of them.
And what about Dunk and JPVH? Brighton play a high line and squeeze the pitch. Regardless of personnel.

Defenders do not have to be quick to be elite in high line rest defence. It’s about good coaching midweek.

So what about when we have all our players fit? Wolves at home, first game of the season? The fact that Varane and Licha (our first choice ‘personnel’) aren’t the quickest (Varane was rapid but has slowed down a bit) and ETH still wants to press high and have the defence drop off. It’s really poor management and tactics.

Either we squeeze up the pitch, or drop off as a team. Not a mash up of both. so simple. I honestly can’t think of another coach in the Premier League who play like us. I think every other team is coached better.

And the proof is in the gameplay. Game by game. I can think of THREE games in the last 12 months where we have clearly been the better team on the pitch. Everton (H), Chelsea (H), Palace in the League Cup (H).

0 goal difference in the league ince March 2023.

Most shots conceded in the entire league apart from dead cert relegation fodder.

11th best in goals scored.

Any more proof needed that ETHs system is subpar?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You realise you lose all credibility of knowing what you're talking about when you think 5 games is a good sample size?

Eh? Teams rarely go on more than 5 wins on the bounce in the Premier League. How the feck is it a small sample size? Saying we lose 1 out of 6 like an "I told you so" is such a weak argument :lol:

If we had the same team as when we played them last, I'd back us. They're quite an open side, it plays into our hands.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

The way he talks about those 5 games gives me a whiff of someone who didn’t watch them, only 1 of those games was convincing, villa outplayed us in every department bar goal scoring we were tumescent in that game wolves stayed in the game, Luton dominated the game after 15 mins Luton and it was only 4 wins on the bounce in the league.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And what about Dunk and JPVH? Brighton play a high line and squeeze the pitch. Regardless of personnel.

Defenders do not have to be quick to be elite in high line rest defence. It’s about good coaching midweek.

So what about when we have all our players fit? Wolves at home, first game of the season? The fact that Varane and Licha (our first choice ‘personnel’) aren’t the quickest (Varane was rapid but has slowed down a bit) and ETH still wants to press high and have the defence drop off. It’s really poor management and tactics.

Either we squeeze up the pitch, or drop off as a team. Not a mash up of both. so simple. I honestly can’t think of another coach in the Premier League who play like us. I think every other team is coached better.

And the proof is in the gameplay. Game by game. I can think of THREE games in the last 12 months where we have clearly been the better team on the pitch. Everton (H), Chelsea (H), Palace in the League Cup (H).

0 goal difference in the league ince March 2023.

Most shots conceded in the entire league apart from dead cert relegation fodder.

11th best in goals scored.

Any more proof needed that ETHs system is subpar?
To answer your first sentence, again, both faster than Lindelof at Full back and Maguire at CB. The rest I feel is a bit of a car crash of a post. Brighton have been caught open and overloaded and thrashed a few times this season.

Their excellent coaching on rest defence was certainly on show when they got thumped 4-0 to Luton recently, wasn't it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The way he talks about those 5 games gives me a whiff of someone who didn’t watch them, only 1 of those games was convincing, villa outplayed us in every department bar goal scoring we were tumescent in that game wolves stayed in the game, Luton dominated the game after 15 mins Luton and it was only 4 wins on the bounce in the league.
You're such a bad poster aren't you :lol:
Claim we don't have a structure, when we do even if it's a bit shite. You claim I don't watch the games when my point is we won them, not that we blew every single side away. Do you actually follow posts?

Leftback99

None of them were convincing, all could have easily gone either way.

I'll leave it there anyway. The type if he guessed the toss of a coin 5 times in a row, he'd think it was solid proof he could do it forever.

To answer your first sentence, again, both faster than Lindelof at Full back and Maguire at CB. The rest I feel is a bit of a car crash of a post. Brighton have been caught open and overloaded and thrashed a few times this season.

Their excellent coaching on rest defence was certainly on show when they got thumped 4-0 to Luton recently, wasn't it.
Dunk is slower than a snail.

It was on show then they dominated us 1-3 with an injury ravaged squad.

The same excuse people use to back up ETH.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Dunk is slower than a snail.

It was on show then they dominated us 1-3 with an injury ravaged squad.

The same excuse people use to back up ETH.
Maguire and Lindelof are also snails, yes.

That game we tried a diamond and it didn't work. We haven't tried it since. Not trying to defend that, but my point is please don't use Brighton as an example of good rest defence.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
None of them were convincing, all could have easily gone either way.
I really don’t think we need to be convincing in performance right now, we only need to win. We aren’t on a title charge, we are limping over the line for top 5. That’s all that matters. 3pts in as many matches as possible between now and the end of the season. We can work on being convincing in the off season for a better run next term.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I really don’t think we need to be convincing in performance right now, we only need to win. We aren’t on a title charge, we are limping over the line for top 5. That’s all that matters. 3pts in as many matches as possible between now and the end of the season. We can work on being convincing in the off season for a better run next term.
Worth noting not every team is convincing of late. I think Spurs limped over the line in a few games recently too. They lost to wolves, needed to defend last minute punts to Brentford and were quite fortunate for a final minute goal vs Brighton.

Plant0x84

Worth noting not every team is convincing of late. I think Spurs limped over the line in a few games recently too. They lost to wolves, needed to defend last minute punts to Brentford and were quite fortunate for a final minute goal vs Brighton.
Yep, Villa have slipped up too. We have an easier run in too so we just need to grind out the points. Boohoo if it ain’t pretty!

Yep, Villa have slipped up too. We have an easier run in too so we just need to grind out the points. Boohoo if it ain’t pretty!
I think the overall point is that after 20 months and 400m spent, the Head Coach should have us playing a coherent and sustainable style of play.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think the overall point is that after 20 months and 400m spent, the Head Coach should have us playing a coherent and sustainable style of play.
Not if the structure is bollocks and he has an injury crisis. I don't care if our manager spends 1bn, if it's spent on clowns and crocks then there's a wider problem before we consider discussing coaching and tactics.

Leftback99

What are you seeing that we're suddenly going to start grinding out more points per game than we have done all season?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

@Leftback99 So you agree we should look at large sample sizes to see if Ten Hag has been decent?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What are you seeing that we're suddenly going to start grinding out more points per game than we have done all season?
What has been our points per game in the last two months vs the two month period before that?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Not if the structure is bollocks and he has an injury crisis. I don't care if our manager spends 1bn, if it's spent on clowns and crocks then there's a wider problem before we consider discussing coaching and tactics.
Honestly we have three first team players out now. It’s not an injury crisis anymore, even the most devoted ETH backers cannot really claim it is. If we genuinely need every single player healthy for it to not be a massive, insane, huge crisis then there’s no point.

We just lost to a team missing their clearly three best players, and it was a mid table team at best in the first place.

Leftback99

@Leftback99 So you agree we should look at large sample sizes to see if Ten Hag has been decent?
Go for it. Whats our goal difference in his time here again? You'll understand points and wins which you'll try throw back at me are far more subject to variance right?

Jev

How does the ‘structure’ (whatever people mean when they say that magic word) prevent him from coaching the side?

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Honestly we have three first team players out now. It’s not an injury crisis anymore, even the most devoted ETH faithfuls cannot really claim it is.
We have the back up left back out. We also have the back up to the back up out.

We have our backup striker out to the striker who is injured. We also have generally shit squad, full of crocks or players who just aren't good enough.

This is a result of no structure in the club. Ten Hag should not be making sole decisions, but he's had to because we literally have nothing else. He can't bring on a left back, he can't bring on a striker. His only DM was a panic buy and himself went off injured when it was 0-0. He can't rotate his RB, because the other RB is injured. He had to play an academy kid up front just to field a front 3. It was either that or play Diallo who is the more exciting choice but still not exactly something that screams sure hit choice as an option.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How does the ‘structure’ (whatever people mean when they say that angiv word) prevent him from coaching the side?
He can't reasonably progress the team to an actual attractive style of play if his squad is shit.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We have the back up left back out. We also have the back up to the back up out.

We have our backup striker out to the striker who is injured. We also have generally shit squad, full of crocks or players who just aren't good enough.

This is a result of no structure in the club. Ten Hag should not be making sole decisions, but he's had to because we literally have nothing else. He can't bring on a left back, he can't bring on a striker. His only DM was a panic buy and himself went off injured when it was 0-0.
Left back is out of choice though. We knew Malacia was out and we knew Shaw was injury prone yet we still sent Reguilon away. I don’t know what went behind the scenes but I like to think we consulted our manager before making a decision like that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Left back is out of choice though. We knew Malacia was out and we knew Shaw was injury prone yet we still sent Reguilon away. I don’t know what went behind the scenes but I like to think we consulted our manager before making a decision like that.
And you think that was his choice? The man said he even tried to ask for a second striker before martial was injured and it was shut down for FFP. The shit show the club is run has caught up, and it predates Eric ten hag. Big wage players that aren't sustainable like Maguire, Ronaldo, Sancho, Varane didn't help. Together with the failure to renew some sponsorship deals and being hit by covid accounting.

The one thing I'm really pissed off with is Antony. But the roots for our FFP problem are much more than that.

Plant0x84

In an ideal world yes, but the last 20m has been anything but ideal.
Greenwood, Ronaldo, Sancho, Antony, the sale and all the uncertainty around that, FFP/PSR, Arnold quitting, Martials injuries, Martinez and Casemiros injuries, Shaws injuries, Onanas inconsistency, etc etc.
The 400m has been spent poorly - the amount spent does not have a direct correlation with the quality acquired and clearly the manager takes some blame for that, but the dof and ceo must be held accountable too. Erik doesn’t have the support structure around him and I feel like Ole before him is succeeding (qualified) in spite of the hierarchy not because of it.
I think Erik came into the club with a style in mind but has had to think again because our squad can’t or won’t do it. It’ll take time to clear out and build a squad that can.
I want to see how the club performs and what Erik can achieve when he has that support, we have a clearly defined style and focus and everyone is on the same page.

Plant0x84

How does the ‘structure’ (whatever people mean when they say that angiv word) prevent him from coaching the side?
You’ve seen the video of the passing drills comparing his Ajax team to United when he came in, right? Our squad looked amateurish at best. We struggle to string passes together so how can he implement a style (other than counter attacking long balls)