Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 544 53.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 477 46.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Carragher spot on. It’s amateur suicidal tactics.
Yes. But it's a lot better when it's Martinez and Shaw. And our back ups are players whose every weakness are exposed in this style.

Which leads to the criticism that he doesn't adapt to the personnel he has at his disposal. But should be compromise those principles? Wait for better suited back ups to be affordable? Change his entire philosophy?

The argument if whether his philosophy is good enough or not is also up for debate.

roseguy64

i think that's quite ridiculous. most of those players have finished 2nd and 3rd twice each. you don't achieve that if every season is a "failure", man united or not. put the individual good/best performers from those seasons into a better team and they'd be title contenders.

there's been undoubted individual and collective failure seasons, from the collective (this one + ole/ralf + jose's 3rd) and from individual players (too many to count, but anything martial did after 2020 is a good place to start from). if it was all failure all the time for all players, it would be worse than the moyes or ralf seasons, every single time.
You're a better person than me to try to argue against that logic on failed players.

BabySinclair

Seems like the next two games will decide whether he is sacked now or in the summer. Must deliver against Nottingham Forest, at least, if he is to stay.
If we go out against Nottingham on Wednesday then there is no reason to keep him.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Yes. But it's a lot better when it's Martinez and Shaw. And our back ups are players whose every weakness are exposed in this style.

Which leads to the criticism that he doesn't adapt to the personnel he has at his disposal. But should be compromise those principles? Wait for better suited back ups to be affordable? Change his entire philosophy?

The argument if whether his philosophy is good enough or not is also up for debate.
We conceded 17, 16 and 22 shots to Newport, Wolves and West Ham with those two playing. It's the same.

Longshanks

Mourinho. LVG. ten Hag.
Jose won plenty, in multiple different leagues. He won the CL with lowly Porto.
LVG has taken a team to the WC final.
You know about ten Hags Ajax. It’s clear they were a very well drilled squad.
Slightly simplistic question, obviously the three men mentioned (possibly excepting LVG) wouldn’t play the same system as prime Barca (I presume you mean Peps team) but I get the point about better players. Kind of makes my point though. Our squad just simply isn’t good enough.
Fair point on Mourinho and LVG in different eras maybe though.

ETH though!? Delousion of the highest order. ETH's Ajax did well in the Dutch league which in all honesty is filled with championship level teams.and there are plenty of managers who have done well at Ajax and struggled elsewhere.

The much vaunted Champions league record flatters to deceive, one good run aside it's 2 group stage knockouts and a round of 16 knockout to Benfica.

As a side note ETH's 'well drilled' Ajax side got knocked out of the 20/21 Europa league By Roma, that same Roma side got beat handsomely by OGS's 'P.E teacher coaching' Man United side. Make of that what you will.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
For clarification, is the implication above that a manager can/should only be judged when every member of the first team squad is one of “theirs”?
No of course not.
This makes no sense - as the players that were here when Ferguson retired are largely - if not allgone. The current squad is by all intents and purposes Ten Hag’s. It’s not even that similar to Ole’s.
I think you missed my point. The standards and winning mentality were instilled by SAF and to a lesser extent Gill. When they left the players were let off the hook so to speak, and as we have gone from manager to manager and signed ‘their’ players the squad has diluted and we have lost that experience and discipline from the squad. So now when the writing is on the wall we always start to hear murmurs from the dressing room. That’s to do with the ethos of the club. That’s the challenge for tenHag and INEOS.
is it Oochie Wally Wally or is it One Mic? :confused:
I have no idea what this means. :lol:

It’s not better at all with Licha and Shaw. They played against Wolves in that first game of the season and it was the same. Getting cut through at every opportunity.

It’s coaching. Gaps are appearing in the first 20 seconds ffs. Nothing to do with the players.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Difference being you’re had 4 years+ of the same manager to cultivate a squad in his image so when you do lose Partey. You’ve got someone like Havertz and just move Rice.
ETH has spent the best part of half a billion on 10 signings (plus loans). You’re talking like state of Manchester United’s squad has nothing to do with Manchester United’s Manager. It’s weird. Especially when he’s reported to have insisted on having major influence of signings when joining (as most Managers do when given the chance).

It’s disingenuous to suggest Arsenal have had it remotely bad as us.
I haven’t suggested that. I’ve just pointed out that all teams suffer injuries. We’ve had Timber, Partey, Jesus, Zinchenko, Vieira, Smith-Rowe and Tomiyasu all miss a double-digit number of games. Total up the numbers of games missed by first team players and there won’t be that much difference both clubs.

Liverpool have literally only in the last week had terrible injuries. Up until that point the only clear first teamer with significant absence was Robertson.
Liverpool have also been without key players due to injuries and mid-season international tournaments. They just dealt with it better.

Timber in your best XI is also based on less than 2 games of competitive football with Arsenal? Really?
Yes really. When Arteta had all his LB options available in the Community Shield and opening league games, he selected Timber. The 2nd most expensive defensive signing in our club’s history. That kind of suggests that he’s our first choice in that position. It’s a bit of a weird thing argue against, tbh. You’re clutching at straws.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I’m sorry, but you shouldn’t need MNF to point out what has been bemoaned since preseason. There’s nothing new, and it’s precisely the problem that you can roll back to July and the same issues were being raised here and compounded in August when the season kicked off. That nothing has been done to address it in all this time should be what is held up to scrutiny.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Pre-United they were all serial winners. What does that tell you?
Ole and Moyes were definitely not, not sure what you’re on about there. The only one that was a “serial winner” was Mourinho but his ideas were already becoming a bit outdated by the time we hired him. Not sure what you’re trying to say, I’m not arguing that we have some elite structure in place for those managers but quite literally not a single one succeeded at any other club post United either so it’s stupid to pin it entirely on the club b

crossy1686

career ending
I’m sorry, but you shouldn’t need MNF to point out what has been bemoaned since preseason. There’s nothing new, and it’s precisely the problem that you can roll back to July and the same issues were being raised here and compounded in August when the season kicked off. That nothing has been done to address it in all this time should be what is held up to scrutiny.
Some people need to hear it on TV to believe it unfortunately.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I wrote about this in October 2023.

Read about it... If I can see it, then imagine what an opposition manager will do.

Incredible really.

I may not be a coach but through my naked eye I can see what the problem is and what immediate solution can be done to change how we play..

Our problems.
  • Carelessness in possession.
  • Very big distance between players - - ( this makes passes hard to do,to get it right, our players getting isolated etc)

What the above problems bring forth.

• Incredible turn overs. Our games are ping pong games. Huge spaces in between.
  • Zero football control at best.
  • Huge physical and mental output to achieve minimal results. 1 nil wins/last minute wins every other game while you've run alot without the ball.

Immediate solution to the above mentioned problems.

1. Squeeze the pitch to about the round circle in the middle. In that our striker should be top of the circle line, and our last defender be at the last tip of the circle.
This will in turn help immensely and immediately on
  • a). Possession. - we will be able to play and turn in rings - what people call patterns of play, overloading of pitch, quick passes, quick runs, cut backs etc

• b). With players being near each other, passes will be simple, players will require less physical demand covering huge space, Hollywood passes will decrease by virtual of players are next to each other.

• c). We will attack and defend as a block. - this is the main glaring evidence of how wrong we set-up. Every other team just attack us directly in the middle & we have no solution to it. Because we leave huge amount of space in the middle.

• d). Our players will start playing one twos football. Rashford main weaknesses is running through opposition players, this is brought about by the fact not many players are there for quick one two, he resorts to just running with the ball. You wonder why our attack has no patterns, this is the main reason.

2. Any player who can't play in a squeezed pitch should be benched. If Bruno can't recycle the football in a stacked midfield like Odegaard bench him, if Rashford can't play one - twos like other wingers he should be benched. If Varane or whoever is in defence can't play a high line then benched them.
We have alot of players who need huge amount of spaces for them to play. This is not feasible in 2023.

Will it be easy? absolutely not, but if the team is coached properly in few weeks the blueprint will be there. The hardest part will be dropping these huge ego players who can't play this kind of football.

Anything other thing than change of style will be just going round in circles and the inevitable will happen.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Genius, innovative, bold.
It’s true and it worked.
prompted me to highlight that the squad now is largely the current manager's.
Is it? Name the Ten Hag players.
ETH has spent the best part of half a billion on 10 signings (plus loans). You’re talking like state of Manchester United’s squad has nothing to do with Manchester United’s Manager. It’s weird. Especially when he’s reported to have insisted on having major influence of signings when joining (as most Managers do when given the chance).

I haven’t suggested that. I’ve just pointed out that all teams suffer injuries. We’ve had Timber, Partey, Jesus, Zinchenko, Vieira, Smith-Rowe and Tomiyasu all miss a double-digit number of games. Total up the numbers of games missed by first team players and there won’t be that much difference both clubs.

Liverpool have also been without key players due to injuries and mid-season international tournaments. They just dealt with it better.

Yes really. When Arteta had all his LB options available in the Community Shield and opening league games, he selected Timber. The 2nd most expensive defensive signing in our club’s history. That kind of suggests that he’s our first choice in that position. It’s a bit of a weird thing argue against, tbh. You’re clutching at straws.
Bolded bit is adding an extra £100m out of nowhere. Stop exaggerating it weakens any point you try to make.

Do you honestly think Ten Hag has been delighted by having so many loans? Not being able to afford even a loan signing to cover for Højlund and Martial?

He’s not the one spending the money. For example it was widely reported Ten Hag actually wanted a striker in his first summer window but the club couldn’t get one so got desperate and bought Antony on an inflated fee. (See latest Talk of the Devils pod).

You are trying to conflate two completely different scenarios in terms of severity of injuries and relative impact of those too. It’s easier to have a player or two out injured every so often not long term injuries to your key back line players and zero back up available for the season (in the case of LB).

First team squad players is not the same as losing your two best defenders, having an unfit new striker signing and losing your midfield signing so early on.

Liverpool have built their squad and ways of playing over 8 years. If they couldn’t cope with the odd injury that would be ridiculous. They also as I’ve shown in my thread had nowhere near our levels of injury until now.

Timber cannot be considered a key player in a team he’s not played more than 2 competitive games for. He may become one and I hope he does as I think he’s a lovely footballer but right now if you’re trying to argue he’s a key player or that Smith Rowe, Viera and Tomiyasu are all that important then you’re clutching.

Irwin99

I feel a bit sad about the inevitable sacking because that run from the Spurs win to the League cup final was easily my favourite stretch of games in the post fergie era, and was the first time i really felt a strong optimism about the club's direction. It just fell apart slowly since then.

I still think certain players are getting away with murder at the club in both quality and attitude but the tactics have been indefensible.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We conceded 17, 16 and 22 shots to Newport, Wolves and West Ham with those two playing. It's the same.
I guess so yes. I guess we're better going forward when they play which masks some defensive deficiencies.

I think the shots stat is a bit misleading by the way, a lot of those shots are not even close to being actual chances. And as an overall, our defensive record isn't terrible in the league. It's goals scored that is the big issue. And Shaw and Martinez do make a bit of a difference to that.

It’s not better at all with Licha and Shaw. They played against Wolves in that first game of the season and it was the same. Getting cut through at every opportunity.

It’s coaching. Gaps are appearing in the first 20 seconds ffs. Nothing to do with the players.
I get it, but that Wolves games isn't typical of the quality of chances we've conceded this year as a whole. If it was, Onana would be one of the greatest goalkeepers in history.

I get that is doesn't feel like it is sustainable, and it probably isn't. But conceding goals isn't the big issue of our season and Shaw and Martinez improve the goal scoring aspect, or so the stats would suggest.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Liverpool's squad was far shitter when Klopp took over, too.
Apparently he had infinitely more talent at his disposal than us, as we are operating with one of the worst squads ever assembled in Premier League facing unprecedented, historical injury crisis.

Sarni

Good to know it works against Luton. The next step will be to conquer Bournemouth, then we'll know we're on the right track.
Actually we’ve already tried that with Bournemouth and lost. 3-0. At home.

Redstain

The buzz from the MNF analysis an average fan could pick up watching games United both win and lose. Erik ten Hag has been diabolical tactically this season. New players aren't going to change the dynamics of flawed instructions.

The season fell apart when he declared the ambition to be the best transition team in the world. Those spaces in the midfield that Carragher highlighted you can also see with screenshots during his tenure at Ajax. These are managerial responsibilities not injury related issues.

Sarni

It’s true and it worked.
Yep worked like a treat. We restricted Fulham to just two goals. Definition of success.

Only difference between that and Luton games is we were gifted two early goals then and weren’t against Fulham.

Do you honestly think Ten Hag has been delighted by having so many loans? Not being able to afford even a loan signing to cover for Højlund and Martial?
So many loans = 2. Well, Dubravka too but he never played.

We could not afford a loan because he spent well over £400m.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

If Neville is hinting at INEOS already having made their mind up, then the sack could be imminent and none of that nonsense about waiting for technicalities like CL qualification.

Getting knocked out of the FA Cup by Forest and then trounced by City (GD is very important at the moment for the top 3) then it’s a formality and would be the worst kept secret in football until it actually happens.

Robindinho

It's been happening all season, far too disjointed/easy to run through... Seemingly just publicly pointed out now, to go with the shots against stats.

I don't understand how Ten Hag (plus the coaches) can't see it though. Or worse, too stubborn to rectify it and refuses to move away from the suicidal midfield set up especially.

Malone_Post

Where are all the clowns on here who were claiming that conceding 15/20 shots a game didn’t matter? Apparently winning a few close games against poor opposition meant we should just be happy and anyone pointing out the obvious flaws in the system and unsustainable nature of those tactics had an ‘agenda’. How did that agenda look against Fulham eh? :rolleyes:

Its amateur tactics from a manager who is so clearly out of his depth. Anyone still refusing to accept that fact is living in denial.

tjb

I wrote about this in October 2023.

Read about it... If I can see it, then imagine what an opposition manager will do.

Incredible really.
For me, the reaction to the failed system is where he got found out. His immediate solution was to bypass midfield for nearly 2 months. He didn't even attempt a different formation or approach, suggesting that he only had one plan in mind entering the season. He's not forward think, he's not innovative, just another manager stuck in his ways who can't adapt to the high intensity of the league. The injuries essentially is a cop out to blame the depth we have, which should be good enough on paper to beat most teams. Ole was winning with Fred and Mctominay in midfield. Ole had Brandon Williams at left back. Ole had to use Dan James and Andreas Pereira regularly starting games. People don't want to hear it, but P.E teacher Ole had a lot more to deal with than ETH. This is not to say that Ole was right for United, but to simply expand on the point that ETH being dutch and coming from the school of Ajax is having a bigger role in people thinking he's a good manager than any factual evidence.

Mourinho was a good manager who didn't adapt, but due to his sheer energy and tactical brilliance, fans had every reason to think he could adapt. There were reasons to believe in Mourinho, he orchestrated wins and clearly had a winning mentality, but unfortunately couldn't adapt. Ole was a person new to management, learning on the job and clearly taking things in and improving over time. He wasn't stubborn, he was adaptable and was a good player manager. His problem is that the club wanted and needed to grow and get results faster than his growth could handle. ETH doesn't have the same energy, drive or willingness to learn and adjust. He's not shown anything to suggest he's a brilliant tactical mind nor has he shown the nous to adapt on the fly. He lacks urgency, he lacks charisma, he lacks adaptability, he lacks man management capabilities and doesn't seem to be a good enough coach to adapt to the pace, physicality and intensity of the league. It''s not new, other teams have had this before, but as a club, since we are still not used to managers failing us, there is always a need to find an excuse.

tjb

It's been happening all season, far too disjointed/easy to run through... Seemingly just publicly pointed out now, to go with the shots against stats.

I don't understand how Ten Hag (plus the coaches) can't see it though. Or worse, too stubborn to rectify it and refuses to move away from the suicidal midfield set up especially.
He sees it. He just doesn't have the skillset to make the right changes. He also doesn't have the courage and creativity to experiment. If he did, I think he would have done it in November when we were getting kicked out of Europe.

Redstain

If Neville is hinting at INEOS already having made their mind up, then the sack could be imminent and none of that nonsense about waiting for technicalities like CL qualification.

Getting knocked out of the FA Cup by Forest and then trounced by City (GD is very important at the moment for the top 3) then it’s a formality and would be the worst kept secret in football until it actually happens.
I think the writing is already on the wall. SJR was asked a direct question 'does he have confidence in the manager' which he neither confirmed highlighting an objective issue to a subjective question, for me that's a politically correct way of being deflective.

You cannot have top class hierarchy, promising / decorated CEO, established DOF and a manager who's underperforming to assess how things go.

The structure needs a competent manager just as much as a factor to ensure their own success. As I've stated numerous times no structure in world football has ever elevated a manager beyond their own capacity.

Glorio

Our ex players are now sticking the boot in. Gary and Rio both saying the same thing about no style of play and the owners being folks that will act decisively - almost seems planned!

I've lost confidence though. I'll take what EtH sats post match with a pinch of salt but he sounds like he genuinely believes we're doing fine. If we won against Fulham in those last 9 mins, guaranteed he'll chalk it up as a "good win"

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I guess so yes. I guess we're better going forward when they play which masks some defensive deficiencies.

I think the shots stat is a bit misleading by the way, a lot of those shots are not even close to being actual chances. And as an overall, our defensive record isn't terrible in the league. It's goals scored that is the big issue. And Shaw and Martinez do make a bit of a difference to that.

I get it, but that Wolves games isn't typical of the quality of chances we've conceded this year as a whole. If it was, Onana would be one of the greatest goalkeepers in history.

I get that is doesn't feel like it is sustainable, and it probably isn't. But conceding goals isn't the big issue of our season and Shaw and Martinez improve the goal scoring aspect, or so the stats would suggest.
Goals conceded is a bit flukey for us this season and not sustainable. The shots are an easy problem to see, no big side should concede 20 shots per game, you don't need any detailed stat to say we shouldn't be at the same level as Sheffield United for anything. But you also can't just point at goals conceded and say it's been fine. We've very clearly been lucky with it, a simple look at the xG conceded speaks to that. We're 6th in goals conceded (not good by any means but not the worst), but are 12th in xG conceded. That just means Onana has bailed us out a bit in the league or opposing teams have just missed loads of chances, or a combo of the 2. Also, we are closer in xG conceded to West Ham in 17th than we are to Bournemouth in 11th. Arsenal, City and Liverpool are the top 3 sides and Luton, Sheffield and Burnley are the bottom 3. You can't just ignore stats like that.

The defensive organization is Ten Hags biggest problem. I think a lot of our attacking issues would be solved by of course more experienced players, better players, but mostly by just controlling games better through better defensive positioning. I don't think his offensive coaching is that big of an issue. But the question with him from his Ajax days are how will he adapt defensively, and that question has not been answered successfully. Go back 18 months and you'll see tons of those analyst accounts, tifo football, whoever basically go in depth on him and just be interested to see how his pressing strategy will work here. How will we close down spaces, will opposing teams take advantage of that. Better players can only do so much, the system has to control defensive spaces and be the reason for how you control games with and without the ball.

GazTheLegend

I remember top four being in Moyes contract - once it's statistically unachievable, I think the managers compensation drops dramatically. I have no reason to believe that's ever changed, and fully expect that the second top four becomes an impossibility, you'll see the cogs snap into motion RAPIDLY. I expect we'll be talking to people over the next few weeks with a view to appointing someone should that (likely) scenario occur.

mu4c_20le

I remember top four being in Moyes contract - once it's statistically unachievable, I think the managers compensation drops dramatically. I have no reason to believe that's ever changed, and fully expect that the second top four becomes an impossibility, you'll see the cogs snap into motion RAPIDLY. I expect we'll be talking to people over the next few weeks with a view to appointing someone should that (likely) scenario occur.
That was the Woodward/Glazer era. I think Bayern making moves could force their hand. It's going to be fiercely competitive for the managers market this summer.

tjb

I think the writing is already on the wall. SJR was asked a direct question 'does he have confidence in the manager' which he neither confirmed highlighting an objective issue to a subjective question, for me that's a politically correct way of being deflective.

You cannot have top class hierarchy, promising / decorated CEO, established DOF and a manager who's underperforming to assess how things go.

The structure needs a competent manager just as much as a factor to ensure their own success. As I've stated numerous times no structure in world football has ever elevated a manager beyond their own capacity.
The sad thing is that if we beat Forest, people will come out of the woodwork and praise him. The standards of our fans are at the bottom of the barrel and it requires figures with less emotional attachment and better metrics based decision making to take action. Thankfully, we no longer have Woodward and Arnold trying to curry favor with the fans. My theory is that we're late to sack managers and dismiss players because the non-football men above the manager weren't football people, so guaged failure on fan discontent, which varied from week to week. Only when the ball dropped, and the media were in full support, did they ever take action. Even then, they took extra weeks to ensure certainty, leaving us with ruined seasons.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yes, I think we've brought players of the required quality to not be languishing in 6th with 10 league losses in February - with a 0 goal difference, and being the second team that has faced the most shots in the league, as well as finishing last in a CL group that included the likes of Copenhagen and Galatasaray (all due respect).

I don't think I've seen anyone here saying we should be competing for the title - hell, the bar is so low I don't even think most people here are asking for trophies.

I don't understand what you're saying here because thinking the manager isn't good enough and knowing the squad needs revamping and upgrading aren't mutually exclusive trains of thought.

The post I replied to, that caused you to interject, stated "How many more managers will we have before somebody cottons onto the common theme on the last 10 years?...something something...players...snowflakes", which prompted me to highlight that the squad now is largely the current manager's.
Its not largely the current managers at all but thats another debate all together.

Point is the players, squad quality and balance have been a major issues over the past 10 years. Despite the players not being the same as 10 years ago.

We don’t actually have a squad capable of sustaining the injuries we have had this season and being much higher than 6th either. 5th at a push and 4th with an exceptional manager at best

Cassidy

Sadly, this is true. Last season after Brentford Ten Hag adjusted his approach and we got better for it. This season he has stuck to pressing high, even though our defence is slow and drops off to compensate. He knows he lacks the players to suit a pressing style but refuses to change. It's bizarre.
Better to build as you mean to go on and fix the holes in the squad sometimes

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Bolded bit is adding an extra £100m out of nowhere. Stop exaggerating it weakens any point you try to make.
He’s spent £411m. That is very much the best part of half a billion. But if it means that much to you, we can stick with £411m. Hell, I’ll even round it down like you did - £400m. However his spending is referred to, it’s sufficient to sign quality players. He hasn’t done so, by your own admission.

First team squad players is not the same as losing your two best defenders, having an unfit new striker signing and losing your midfield signing so early on.
Where exactly do you think Timber, Tomiyasu, Zinchenko, Partey and Jesus play? And these are some of our best players. Once again, you not just arguing against and Arsenal fan, but the Arsenal Manager who selects these players in key games whenever they’re available.

Timber cannot be considered a key player in a team he’s not played more than 2 competitive games for. He may become one and I hope he does as I think he’s a lovely footballer but right now if you’re trying to argue he’s a key player or that Smith Rowe, Viera and Tomiyasu are all that important then you’re clutching.
I never said key player, I said he’s in our first choice lineup. Because he is. He’s our second most expensive defender and he was picked ahead of all other options when available. You seem to want it both ways. Hojland and Mount were great losses to United’s team because your new signings weren’t fit. But Timber does his ACL and it’s no great loss. Your argument is all over the place.

The reason you think Smith-Rowe, Vieira and Tomiyasu aren’t important players is because we have coped well in their absence. If they were fit and in the United squad, they would all be playing on the weekend. You’re conflating player quality with how much they are missed by their team. We’ve performed well despite injuries because we are well coached. United have performed poorly with their injuries because they are coached poorly.

Take a second to read back what you’re writing and it will quickly become apparent that your arguments hold very little water.

Cassidy

Fair point on Mourinho and LVG in different eras maybe though.

ETH though!? Delousion of the highest order. ETH's Ajax did well in the Dutch league which in all honesty is filled with championship level teams.and there are plenty of managers who have done well at Ajax and struggled elsewhere.

The much vaunted Champions league record flatters to deceive, one good run aside it's 2 group stage knockouts and a round of 16 knockout to Benfica.

As a side note ETH's 'well drilled' Ajax side got knocked out of the 20/21 Europa league By Roma, that same Roma side got beat handsomely by OGS's 'P.E teacher coaching' Man United side. Make of that what you will.
From where ETH took over from Ajax thats an impressive UCL set of results also considering they lose their better players most summers

Once again a poor season and everything someone has done prior has to be down played

Longshanks

When you concede 17 shots to a league 2 side after going 2-0 up very quickly. With pretty much your strongest team available and playing it's probably time to give up top level management in all honesty.