Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 430 48.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 461 51.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Let’s be honest - the way we play and how few goals we score, can anyone look at our remaining league fixture list and see where we would get the 7 points to leap frog Spurs (as well as other wins too)? Not a chance. I can definitely see us dropping more points than Newcastle though so 7/8th is most certainly on the cards.
ETH has zero excuses left. Even with these players available we should and could play better but he’s out of his depth. Deserves to be sacked. Shame we will wait until end of the season though.
He is the manager of a club where the motivation for players is being 'set for life' rather than winning trophies, a big contract is a trophy to them. Going back players got the rewards for winning games and therefore trophies in the end. Now it is all how big the name of Manchester United is and how much they can makes off endorsements and social media clicks. It will take some special kind of manager to change that mentality. It could take some time for this to happen and a lot of shifting players.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Depending on what sort of plan INEOs start,

I think top 5 is as good as gone. We have to win 10 of our last 12 games which is not gonna happen.

I agree with you about the Fulham game, we just had no room for mistakes until end of season. I still think Villa or spurs could crumble if they were under pressure but we are too far behind to put any meaningful pressure on them.
There is always a chance of Spurs slipping up, but think Villa have too experienced a manager to let that happen.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Depending on what sort of plan INEOs start,

I think top 5 is as good as gone. We have to win 10 of our last 12 games which is not gonna happen.

I agree with you about the Fulham game, we just had no room for mistakes until end of season. I still think Villa or spurs could crumble if they were under pressure but we are too far behind to put any meaningful pressure on them.
..wich is on The Glazers, not Ten Hag imo. We could have had the top 3 striker in Kane, but Ten Hag was put to a choice when the smart money would be to buy Kane and Hojlund plus Onana (or any new keeper. De Gea clearly was done and way too expensive). Mind that last season we had 51 points after 27 wich today, would also put us outside the top 4.

You want top 4, you need to back your manager with top 4 money and technical staff. Lets hope INEOS indeed follows through with their current assesment and not put Ten Hag on a sword for what isnt his fault.

Villa is on a helluva run though. 55 pts after 27 is a great result for them. Top 6 would be my aim for INEOS and Ten Hag. Villa still have 3 or 4 difficult games but then there is Spurs, of wich they also play against. As you say, top 5 is gone.

Last edited:

Irwin99

Most fans were pretty pessimistic about the City game which is completely natural despite it being a derby game, but as you said, we just can't afford mistakes in games against the likes of Fulham. Yet again the players and the manager are just not delivering.

I had hoped we might do something similar to what Liverpool did in that 20-21 season where they just managed to squeeze top 4 by winning their last 8 games or whatever it was but I don't have much faith that that will happen.

A win against City tomorrow though ... :drool:

Chumpsbechumps

There is always a chance of Spurs slipping up, but think Villa have too experienced a manager to let that happen.
I think it’s more we are running out of games and 3 of our last 13 are against the top 3. Even if us and Villa/spurs lost all our games against top 3 that leaves us 9 games to make up the guys of 10 points.

..wich is on The Glazers, not Ten Hag. We could have had the top 3 striker in Kane, but Ten Hag was put to a choice when the smart money would be to buy Kane and Hojlund plus Onana (or any new keeper. De Gea clearly was done and way too expensive). Mind that last season we had 51 points wich today, would also put us outside the top 4.

You want top 4, you need to back your manager with top 4 money and technical staff. Lets hope INEOS indeed follows through with their current assesment and not put Ten Hag on a sword for what isnt his fault.

Villa is on a helluva run though. 55 pts after 27 is a great result for them. Top 6 would be my aim for INEOS and Ten Hag. Villa still have 3 or 4 difficult games but then there is Spurs, of wich they also play. As you say, top 5 is gone.
Yep. It’s on glazers but ETH May pay the price for their mongoness.

Most fans were pretty pessimistic about the City game which is completely natural despite it being a derby game, but as you said, we just can't afford mistakes in games against the likes of Fulham. Yet again the players and the manager are just not delivering.

I had hoped we might do something similar to what Liverpool did in that 20-21 season where they just managed to squeeze top 4 by winning their last 8 games or whatever it was but I don't have much faith that that will happen.

A win against City tomorrow though ... :drool:
Still might looks like Luton could take something here!!!

hobbers

Does anyone still think he can catch Villa?
A club with far worse players than ours but a far more intelligent coach, playing football that is light years better than ours. Exact same could be said about Spurs.

In other words, no. We'll be very lucky to hold onto 6th. Since they're free of European football now, Newcastle will catch us before the end I reckon.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A club with far worse players than ours but a far more intelligent coach, playing football that is light years better than ours. Exact same could be said about Spurs.

In other words, no. We'll be very lucky to hold onto 6th. Since they're free of European football now, Newcastle will catch us before the end I reckon.
Yeah it's pretty embarrassing how far behind them we are.

I said it was highly unlikely we'd finish above them when some were getting over excited about beating them. Many disagreed but a couple of weeks later and we're further away.

Hoboman

I'm not sure that is true.
They have better GK, better all-round defenders, much better midfield, and faster, more athletic and hard-working forward line.
However, it doesn't change that our players underperform on constant basis and we have no cohesiveness in our game for almost two years now.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
The fact that we are so far behind average Villa and Spurs sides and are gettting beaten at home to Bournemouth and Fulham says it all.

So many other teams are dealing with injuries and getting through, and we are just wide open and incredibly easy to beat.

It’s appalling just how badly he has managed the team this year. The fact he is still here shows just where we are as a club.

erikcred

IIRC, Spurs have a brutal run in at the end of the season. If we go on another streak of wins we may yet pull this off. Hope slowly dwindling away though.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
By tomorrow we'll be

11 points behind Villa
6 points behind Spurs.
Only 2 points above Westham.

:( such a bad state to be in.

We will be 65 points team this season. We will be behind 1st team by 23-25 points. A 8 game range.

city-puma

By tomorrow we'll be

11 points behind Villa
6 points behind Spurs.

We will be 65 points team this season. We will be behind 1st team by 23-25 points. A 8 game range.
If we can lose so many games in the league, one should not expect anything unrealistic. Mathematically realistic creates false hope which is actually a delusion.

BorisManUtd

By tomorrow we'll be

11 points behind Villa
6 points behind Spurs.

It's what we do. Regarding league seasons, there's a pattern which says we string 1-2 good seasons under a manager, followed by a bad one, and repeat. And even those good seasons are something we'd consider average back in happier times.

hobbers

They have better GK, better all-round defenders, much better midfield, and faster, more athletic and hard-working forward line.
However, it doesn't change that our players underperform on constant basis and we have no cohesiveness in our game for almost two years now.
They look a lot better because they're competently coached. Greater than the sum of their parts.

Whereas a Ten Hag team is far less than the sum, because his tactical approach is nothing more than endless self sabotage.

Even with Onana, he played well in the CL semi finals and finals behind a very well coached Inter defence. Now he's facing 20 shots a game, including endless cut backs and loose balls in the penalty area, and he's being expected to play a huge part in a possession game where the possession play is absent and no one tries to be open for passes.

We signed a player and exposed his greatest weaknesses and nullified his greatest strengths.

Oranges038

IIRC, Spurs have a brutal run in at the end of the season. If we go on another streak of wins we may yet pull this off. Hope slowly dwindling away though.
I don't think Utd will make up those points, all 3 have a similar run in.

Villa still have most of the top 10 to play Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Wolves and Chelsea. Villa also have Europa conference league 2 legs vs Ajax. Some hope there.

Spurs still have to play Villa, Newcastle, West Ham City, Arsenal and Liverpool. A little bit of hope

Utd still have to face Newcastle, Chelsea Liverpool, City and Arsenal.

Every chance all 3 could lose 3 or 4 of those games.

Michael T

Lose against City in the Premier League tomorrow and Liverpool in the FA Cup on March 16th - I'm starting to think there is a good chance he goes that night. Especially if we don't get a win against Everton in between.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Forget tip 4 and forget Hag being sacked before May.
He probably won't be here once the season ends. No point in sacking him now.

antonyrightfoot

This season, results wise, we are probably the luckiest team in the league.
We stole twice the games against wolves, we stole fulham away, brentford home, aston villa away and we were extremely lucky in those games where the opposition outplayed us and dalot, maguire , varane etc scored in the 80th minutes against the run of play. ETH is a very poor manager, hopefully next year we will hire the right manager

Rojofiam

If you buy a player with a terrible injury record the last couple of years and, lo and behold, that injury record continues that constitutes as a bad signing.

A signing can be poor in more ways than one.

Another example is if you have a good player in a position and you chunk a large portion of your budget on another player in the same position when you have more urgent holes to fill, that would also be a poor signing. That doesn't necessarily mean the player is bad, but the signing is.
Did you even bother checking his injury history before your reply?

How is this a "terrible injury record"?

The other point you make is also reaching for something that isn't there.

Every single player we've signed for a significant fee was a profile that we were lacking before.

Yes, I would've rather signed an #8 instead of Casemiro, or a right back instead of Malacia at the time, but eventually realized that we didn't really have a #6 other than McTominay, who never really played in a single pivot anyways. Also, Telles was a godawful player for us and ten Hag got more out of Dalot and AWB in the end, than if he had signed a right back, but basically only had Shaw as a suitable option on the other side.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
By tomorrow we'll be

11 points behind Villa
6 points behind Spurs.

Amazingly not sacked. Not even Sir Jim is willing to, despite saying we need CL football.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Come off it. This villa team was nowhere under Gerrard and shows how good a manager Emery is. The transformation in their footballis clear to all. Imagine Ten Hag in charge of their team... he'd probably be bottom half.

Tinúviel

Did you even bother checking his injury history before your reply?

How is this a "terrible injury record"?

The other point you make is also reaching for something that isn't there.

Every single player we've signed for a significant fee was a profile that we were lacking before.

Yes, I would've rather signed an #8 instead of Casemiro, or a right back instead of Malacia at the time, but eventually realized that we didn't really have a #6 other than McTominay, who never really played in a single pivot anyways. Also, Telles was a godawful player for us and ten Hag got more out of Dalot and AWB in the end, than if he had signed a right back, but basically only had Shaw as a suitable option on the other side.
Hm yeah, that doesn't look too bad tbh, I've must have mixed him up with someone else. I stand corrected. Hope he can stay injury free and really kick on, he's been so unlucky this season. There's a player in there for sure. Whether he show's it for us or someone else the future have to decide.

Hard to argue with your second point, we've signed some real dross in the past and ETH clearly got the best record out of our post SAF managers.

I feel the only clear bad signing is Anthony. Malacia been unlucky with injuries but in my opinion shown some promise so wouldn't label him as a bad signing. Mount I'm undecided on and the rest been pretty good.

Hoboman

Come off it. This villa team was nowhere under Gerrard and shows how good a manager Emery is. The transformation in their footballis clear to all. Imagine Ten Hag in charge of their team... he'd probably be bottom half.
Gerrard:lol:
They have better manager and better squad. That happens, it's Ok.

croadyman

I believe he miss a lot of players to play like he really wants to play. Injuries have been very unhelpful, but even with them it’s kind of obvious we need to replace players.

I think most of us can be more patient. Let Ineos and our new team work. If they believe EtH can work with them under the new structure, then he will. If not, he will go.

I have full confidence in Ineos and the process under the new leadership.
I have confidence provided their list of managers isn't just limited to Potter. Yes I know Chelsea was a mess but still think he can't manage egos and we have plenty of those in our dressing room

Last edited:

PoTMS

Our managers seem to be getting worse. I really hope Ratcliffe gets rid of this incompetent little man.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
1 shot on target, 20 something percent possession… I really did hope ten Hag would be the manager who would have us taking matches to big teams, once upon a time.

TsuWave

It was nice knowing you.

In fairness to him, we've looked more solid with the set-up today, which makes the nonsense he's been doing up until now even more aggravating.

RedOrange

He is the manager of a club where the motivation for players is being 'set for life' rather than winning trophies, a big contract is a trophy to them. Going back players got the rewards for winning games and therefore trophies in the end. Now it is all how big the name of Manchester United is and how much they can makes off endorsements and social media clicks. It will take some special kind of manager to change that mentality. It could take some time for this to happen and a lot of shifting players.
It's also a club whose supporters view sacking the manager as a trophy.

Shark

@NotShark
He was supposed to bring something different, superior to the table but we're still barely able to string three passes together and sitting back like hopeless cowards like we have for the past 10 years. What's he offering?

rajds89

It’s not the battering many of us feared but nevertheless, it’s another defeat and one in which we’ve barely laid a glove on our opponents other than a once in a whilst wonder strike.