Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 430 48.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 461 51.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Von Mistelroum

Anyone still backing him?
Manchester United are.

I'm definitely not. He looks more clueless now than Moyes ever did even! But Ratcliffe and co seem content. It really shows our standards compared to other big clubs, that this level is considered acceptable for so long.

DSG

Your personal eye test is a fact now? I'll take that with a grain of salt given you can't wrap your head around the actual fact that last season was successful.
I mean, it’s not just me that is saying that we look like shit when we play. Today we looked absolutely dire. The stats showed that we look awful too. I mean tell me, do you think we look good when we played today?

bleedred

Surprised we haven't yet seen the usual excuses, "Brentford are a better run club than us" or " stop complaining, a draw away at a tough away ground Is a good result irrespective of performance" or " even Fergie lost to xx".

AndyMUFC

The only two reasons I have for keeping him are that there's no obvious replacement and I don't want this squad of players getting a fresh start.

However he cannot complain at all if he is sacked because the performances this season have been abysmal.

daveskimufc

It's not even a singular performance, this has been since day 1 Vs wolves. We have won games this season when we have played like that, and could even have won tonite, and it would have been so lucky.

I want to stick with a manager I REALLY DO, but you can't play like that for a whole season and expect to stay, injuries come and go, other teams manage to bring in a replacement but seemingly without Martinez and Shaw ETH just has no clue what else to try. I mean this year we have had no full backs and there has been no formation change, no "let's try 3 at the back with wingbacks" to cope. No, same old "4231 see what you can get on the break lads." Playing like we've just been promoted and are just happy to be here.

spwd

Genuinely embarrassing that there are so many fans of this club who want to keep this conman.
I just don't understand why, I really don't. Wtf are they seeing?:houllier:

Not a chance he’s here next season. We are so poorly coached.
Fingers crossed he's already packing up his things. Everything he was hired for he has completely abandoned and he's not changed whatever this shite is even though it would be obvious just looking at most basic stats never mind using your actual eyes.

Big fear is Southgate gets the job.
[/QUOTE]

I don't want Southgate but feck me he would be a damn sight better than this clown.

Good thing is we only have to endure this for two more months. Hopefully the deluded apologists leave with him.
Anyone still on his side should call 999 because there's obviously something very wrong with them :lol:

Brentford had 13 shots in that game. 24 in this.

8 corners in that game. 13 in this.

This is the biggest battering we've had since 7-0.
Crazy that it's still the same shit after nearly 2 seasons and half a billion spent.

Suck on that :lol:
Well these didn't age well :lol:

Criminal he's failed to address this all season
Along with the touches in our box vs ours they're simply Incredible stats.

Potter would be better than this.
I'd prefer Hermione but I guess Harry would do better too.

He's also confirmed he can't get us playing like Ajax, so it begs the question as to what is the point of having him here?
Didn't he say he won't even try? I would've booted him there and then because isn't that why everyone wanted him?

AFC NimbleThumb

The only two reasons I have for keeping him are that there's no obvious replacement and I don't want this squad of players getting a fresh start.

However he cannot complain at all if he is sacked because the performances this season have been abysmal.
That’s actually a positive.

I know we like to sit on these forums & proclaim we know the inner workings of the game but we don’t. We aren’t getting Klopp or Pep so any other choice isn’t some magical guarantee.

Berrada comes with a great resume, I hope he’s not just going to pick managers based on who we forum members think is cool. See EtH for how that works.

A competent coach who can implement his style on a squad is all we need to improve on EtH, the bar is low. Surely we can find a manager to do that.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
On a different note, I'm concerned by the way hes looking these days. He was twitching like a madman on the touchline and looked ill.
The stress is really doing a number on him. Reminds me of those fresh faced presidents and prime ministers who look like husks of themselves after a couple of years in the job.

It's all a broken record by now, however, he doesn't seem to be interested in even trying to fix the midfield, so he's set his stall and hill to die on, and so be it.

The problems with what he has tried to set up have been stated so many times this term, since preseason, that they're not even worth repeating anymore, and yet he persists, like what he is doing defines him, or like there's some kind of shame in back peddling and determining now is not the time nor place for that set up.

He's not even tried to adapt - just smashes into the same brick wall over and over, instead of trying the door by the handle and opening it with the twist of his wrist. It's hard to feel sorry for him at this juncture because there's been ample time for a contingency to be implemented, yet he hasn't done so. In the meantime, everyone around us is tweaking and amending on a game-by-game basis.

spwd

We've waited too long on every single manager after Fergie. I sincerely hope he's gone in the morning so we can move forward now instead of him lingering around getting the tea making duties wrong every day.

saivet

With this kind of mentality, you are just waiting for bad results to come. It's just not sustainable if we want to be a serious team.
These kind of comments are also frustrating, he did the same when referencing the big games too. As a one off it's possibly not an issue but referencing us to City just feels silly.

DSG

Anyone still backing him?
I mean, just this week a very vocal minority in the Caf lost their mind when I called ETH a mediocre manager… where are they now?

I’m absolutely gutted he hasn’t worked out. A few months ago I was looking at his win record and thinking he might make it. Every other stat goes against him though.

bleedred

Could be his last week here. With Chelsea and Liverpool up next 2 losses and the pressure will be huge
We will probably draw both or lose to pool and win against Chelsea.

People will see that as turning the corner and hype it up.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Have you actually watched any of those Ajax games?

I made a point to watch a few games when we were linked to him and he played the exact same style we are playing now and it worked in the Dutch league due to the overall lower quality of the league. Even then he barely won it in his last season.

The league over there is utter garbage compared to the PL and hasn’t been a top league for about 20 years or so.

Do you remember our side basically strolling to the win in the EL final?

It’s a myth pushed by people that are too stubborn to see what’s right in front of us.

He’s no better than De Boer
He wasn’t the manager then. But I do remember Ten Hags Ajax going to the Bernabeu and winning 4-1. It wasn’t “just the Dutch league” then.

spwd

We will probably draw both or lose to pool and win against Chelsea.

People will see that as turning the corner and hype it up.
I'm pretty sure the scum will want revenge quite badly. It was a miracle we beat them but the next game will need many.

WPMUFC

Think i said a few months back that if any particular player could get ETH sacked it would be McTominay. I genuinely don't understand it. ETH believes Scotty's attribute is that he has a good possibility to be a loose player that arrives late on the edge of the box so the wingers can cut back to him. Fine, that is "A" particular kind of tactic. When it doesn't work, WHY IS HE OUT THERE FOR 102 MINUTES? :houllier:

For the first time ever I think that Mark Goldbridge guy said something insightful. Why is ETH so afraid to sub Rashford, Bruno, Mctominay if they are having a bad game or it just isn't working? Subbing Bruno off for Eriksen might not work, but it already hasn't worked for 90 mins. How does Scotty survive for 102 minutes when his downsides are leaving the whole midfield open for brentford to run through?

Is he scared of the players? Is he that stubborn? What is it? Why can't we sub players that are playing shit at a point in the game where we can see the potential of it to impact the game?

In Rainbows

This is how he wants us to play. It's how he's been setting the team up tactically all season.
Exactly. He keeps playing certain players and still has the tactic of leaving the middle wide open for players to just run into to beat the press. It's suicide. Everybody can see that you want that space smaller by pushing up the CBs and he refuses to do it. He keeps playing someone like Maguire who makes that virtually impossible. This isn't a slight against Maguire, who has done well with what he has, but he's just not the right player to play when pushing the CBs up. He keeps playing players that don't allow you to dominate possession like McTominay.

This is how he wants United to be playing. He doesn't value things that other managers value as being necessary to play well. He's had more than enough time to get United playing football the United fans find enjoyable.

He needs to go.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
You clearly don't know what you're talking about. He took over Ajax in Dec 2017. These were the players they sold:

Klaasen
Sanchez
Riedewald
Tete
Kluivert
I got the year wrong, I meant 2019. The one where they lost De Jong, De Ligt and Dolberg. Then the next year Ziyech and Van de Beek. He was constantly having to deal with losing his best players and replacing them.

Moreover, where's the evidence of the "great coach" at United?
Not there! That’s my point! Hence why it’s baffling!

DSG

He wasn’t the manager then. But I do remember Ten Hags Ajax going to the Bernabeu and winning 4-1. It wasn’t “just the Dutch league” then.
Nobody is saying he hasn’t had some great wins and moments at Ajax. We’re saying he’s been really really bad for us. The likelihood of Ten Hag becoming the next great manager was always lower than the reality, which is that he’s mediocre.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Why do people keep saying who is viable to replace him etc? What do you mean by viable? We poached two highly regarded people from rival clubs, that before hand we wouldntve regarded as being viable appointment targets. We did it, apparently because we want the best in class and are determined to get the people in positions that can get us to the top again.
Why wouldn't we apply that same process with the managerial selection? ETH isnt the best and neither is Southgate...those aren't the only two options (a reference to, if its gonna be Southgate I'd rather stick with ETH!) That has been on here the last 2 weeks.

Dazzmondo

He's right about one thing, Onana was great. A sea of negatives around the club at the moment, but Onana since the turn of the year has been a big positive imo. He really has done very well and I'm encouraged that he might prove to be a successful keeper for us after ETH is gone.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not sure whether he's referring to the recent 3-1 away or 1-0 home win for City.

They had 25 shots and 70%+ possession in both.

He's lost the plot.
And who cares if City were lucky to beat Brentford anyway? City are in a league of their own and in the run in for potentially another treble. Us, on the other hand, despite winning every now and again, put in awful performances pretty much every week. Actually, its rare I come away from our games thinking that we deserved to win. Ten Hag needs to worry about what he's going to do to change that instead of worry about City and Liverpool, who, to date, have had pretty successful seasons.

E-mal

For all the folks that want to to keep him and see how he does under ''the new structure'', please explain to us how that structure will fix the lack of tactics, the space in midfield and the fact we press and and play low block at the same time?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It really does baffle me how people are totally unwilling to see that he is to blame for this. Are the players good enough? No. Should they be more organised? 100%. Who’s responsible for that? For setting them out and motivating them?

Ten Hag. Get rid. Simple.