Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 389 45.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 460 54.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Good thing is we only have to endure this for two more months. Hopefully the deluded apologists leave with him.
Amen. I just cannot understand why people defend him. He has shown zero progress after almost two years. With Ole I can understand because he's club legend but this bald fecker has zero connection with the club. If we aspire to the be on the level of Madrid, City, Bayern, etc just ask yourselves a question. Would he still be a manager in those clubs with these results ? Also just another shit on top is we are somehow often on the end of multiple maulings under him. Van Gaal is million times better than this fraud and he got sacked

DSG

How long should a manager get then? Can you expect to hire a manager and have them challenging in the first season? I do believe we need a new manager to progress us further but we’re still miles away from competing with the top 3. So how long should a new manager get…
I don’t think it’s defined by time. It’s defined by results, stats, integration of new players, player development, eye test, player confidence…

The problem with using time, say 3 years, is that the premise is inherently false. If that were the case, we could bring in any bum off the street, give him 3 years, and we’d magically be good. That’s an extreme example, but you get what I mean. Ole is probably a perfect example of this. We gave him more time because we thought if we gave him more time, he’d magically win the league. He was never going to win the league. And we wasted 3 and a half years.

DSG

You need to be seeing progress in the style of play etc. A plan in place. If we were 6th but showing signs of a direction I think things may possibly be a bit different in terms of the feeling towards the manager. I think when there's no sign of progression and if anything things look like they're more so going backwards than forwards, plugs have to be pulled. Managers deserve time, but its a case by case basis for me, some deserve more, some don't, the evidence decides.
Absolutely agree.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
The 85 touches they had in our penalty area were two short of the Premier League record.
The 31 attempts on goal are more than they have managed in a single game for seven years
They had also had more injured players missing than us.
How can anyone still defend ETH.

TsuWave

It’s probably not going to work with ETH and the new owners have a massive decision to make in the summer but whoever they pick needs to be challenging straight away since our fan base don’t give anyone more than 2 seasons.
United has one of the most patient fanbases of any supposed “big club”. In fact, I don’t think there’s any other fanbase as committed to “back the manager” as United’s. I have a theory it’s partially because Ferguson was here so long, and partially because many want to hold on to a childish notion that we’re not like other clubs (the “United way” thing is adjacent to this). A manager doesn’t survive a 7-0 mauling by their biggest rivals anywhere else (top clubs). Here, it was largely “shrugged off”and people just moved on.

One could argue that all the bad managerial appointments we made stayed here long after it was clear it wasn’t going to happen, and a factor in that is how reluctant United fans are to put pressure on the club to change direction/cut ties with managers.

For reference (and yes I’ll quote this again):

I mean we have fans who somehow believe that 6 managers in 10 years is a lot or too much.

People should remember that during the same period of time Bayern had 8 different managers(including interims), Real Madrid had 6 different and 7 in total, Juventus had 4 different and 5 in total. Both Milan team have had 10 different managers. Napoli have had 7 different managers. The point being that United are arguably the club that underachieved the most and one of the key issue is the club reluctance to change things quickly

We’ve been so shite for so long that smash-n-grab wins are reason for people to come to this thread and declare a guy that has us 29 league games in with a goal difference of 0 should be afforded another season - just to see if it “clicks” - now that we have a “structure”. It’s insane.

Most people here would have been happy with evidence of progression in our football. To say this fanbase doesn’t give managers time/is expecting them to compete right away isn’t even being disingenuous - it's an outright lie.

justboy68

It's been clear for ages that any points we manage to get are just the players managing to drag us out of things. Ten Hag is contributing nothing positive. Need to try someone else next season.

Alpha 1

He was an highly rated manager before we got him. The 2 main options was him or Pochettino… 1 of thems managed in the prem before and look how well he’s doing with a team that’s spent billions. It’s probably not going to work with ETH and the new owners have a massive decision to make in the summer but whoever they pick needs to be challenging straight away since our fan base don’t give anyone more than 2 seasons.
It's not about giving managers more than 2 seasons. There have to be signs of progress of which there are none; if anything, we've gone backwards. We've been poor all season, even in victory.

Last season gave me hope that he is the right man given how he dealt with difficult situations and honestly I was backing him for much of this season but there are no signs that things will improve. Get rid is the way to go.

Rajma

The 85 touches they had in our penalty area were two short of the Premier League record.
The 31 attempts on goal are more than they have managed in a single game for seven years
They had also had more injured players missing than us.
How can anyone still defend ETH.
This is just shocking and worth sacking on its own.

spwd

Like I said in an earlier post, it's not doing anyone any good carrying on like this.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
This is the game that's got me decided. I'm done with him. Guy doesn't learn. Doesn't even look like he wants us to play football. He continually sets the team up to be dominated. You could give him 1999 United and he'd play Keane as a single pivot with Sheringham and Yorke in centre midfield or something.

Yakuza_devils

The number of times we were being totally outplayed by smaller clubs this season is staggering. Unbelievable, shocking and embarrassing to say the least. We have one of the highest spent in transfers and salaries.

Even many of our wins were lucky because we faced records number of shots against us week in week out. Added to the fact that we play negative counter attacking football. We can't defend, can't attack and our midfield is non-existent. Enough is enough.

It's time to pull the trigger and start a new chapter with SJR, Brailsford, Berrada, Ashworth and hopefully Inzaghi.

kaku06

Always keeps Mctominay, Bruno on the pitch in the hope that they might get a goal for him no matter how shit they are playing just sums him up for me.

The way he just ignores the fact that because of those two we are getting overrun in midfield and teams are cutting us open time and time again is sackable in itself but he won’t do anything about it because they might get a goal. Shameless, clueless, hopeless.

How are we supposed to progress or have a style of play when we have a manager who has this kind of moyes type cowardice mentality?

croadyman

Eventually his biggest supporters will finally see the light, well apart from Marcel on Utd View. We need to be talking with Nagelsmann/Amorim because you can be damn sure that scousers definitely will be

TheRedHearted

I wanted him to work here but he keeps getting outclassed. He’s gotta go. It’s De Zerbi for me. Premier league proven.

I think De Zerbis Bayern Munich (if he had the team Nagelsmann had) would’ve blown the lid off of what Nagelsmann did.

inzaghi also Id give a chance

RedStarUnited

Eventually his biggest supporters will finally see the light, well apart from Marcel on Utd View. We need to be talking with Nagelsmann/Amorim because you can be damn sure that scousers definitely will be
I know for sure that we were 2/3 mins away from people coming in here and saying things like “stop moaning, we won the match dont be so negative, football is ruined by stats” Because thats what we get told when teams batter us and we manage to win somehow.

id almost be okay with the 20+ shots every other day if we were also constantly knocking on the door. Eg the game at Luton, they had more shots that id like but we also had atleast 3/4 chances we should have scored from.

Games like yesterday when we are absolutely shite in managing it, shit in defence and even worse in attack.

croadyman

I wanted him to work here but he keeps getting outclassed. He’s gotta go. It’s De Zerbi for me. Premier league proven.

I think De Zerbis Bayern Munich (if he had the team Nagelsmann had) would’ve blown the lid off of what Nagelsmann did.

inzaghi also Id give a chance
Give me any of Nagelsmann,Inzaghi,Amorim or De Zerbi ideally in that order. Please INEOS look outside of Southgate/Potter for replacements

Sylar

He's pretty much followed lvg here hasn't he.
That awesome pre season followed by a home league defeat first game of the season. Then manages top four.
Then goes out CL following year in pathetic fashion.
Just needs to win the fa cup this year, miss out cl football next year and then be sacked.

I also think he stumbled upon something last season but then hasn't tried to emulate it this year at all leaving us vulnerable and boring to watch. We can't break down teams who sit back which leaves no space for the less intelligent players who really rely on space.
Mctominay is to eth what fellaini became to lvg. And the funny thing is both managers wanted those players gone until a sub appearance resulted in a goal.

croadyman

I know for sure that we were 2/3 mins away from people coming in here and saying things like “stop moaning, we won the match dont be so negative, football is ruined by stats” Because thats what we get told when teams batter us and we manage to win somehow.

id almost be okay with the 20+ shots every other day if we were also constantly knocking on the door. Eg the game at Luton, they had more shots that id like but we also had atleast 3/4 chances we should have scored from.

Games like yesterday when we are absolutely shite in managing it, shit in defence and even worse in attack.
Oh yeah his biggest fans were ready to say take that Erik outers you have been silenced again

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His interviews are more worrying than our performance.

RedStarUnited

His interviews are more worrying than our performance.
Because they confirm what we see on the pitch. If he is not mad about what he is seeing and justifying it, then it means we are not working on resolving anything. That match and the Wolves match from Matchday 1 are identical. Yet the teams we played are vastly different and even the ground played is different.

croadyman

Regardless of what happens this season I don’t think he goes. Can we really afford 2 lots of competition? He’s out of contract at the end of next season anyway so assess over the next 6 months and then make a decision. With inspiring replacements like Southgate and O’Neill mooted I’d rather stick for the timebeing and hope we can get some consistency of selection, as more than anything this is what ETH needs - his core group to be available and not sat on the treatment table like they’ve been for the majority of the season
Excuses FC,sorry got no time for that

Woodywizz

Words fail me as to how bad he is as a coach. Two years on from that time when Brentford dicked us at the start of the season and the most worrying thing is that we still have no structure, no discernible style of play and absolutely no heart. The buck has to stop with him, there are no excuses - has to be got rid of and I’d do it now.

Suv666

How's this guy still at a job? :lol:
I honestly have no clue how
I get that no other high profile manager is available right now, but what’s the point in dragging the inevitable.

Give it to an interim, till the end of season, he’d do a much better job that ETH

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It would be a truly mind boggling start for the new regime to allow this to go on for much longer really, it s simply not the impression you want to make from the start of what is meant to be a new era. He's done.
His saving grace is the people making the decisions aren't in a job yet and won't be for another year.

Munkehboi

I also think he stumbled upon something last season but then hasn't tried to emulate it this year at all leaving us vulnerable and boring to watch. We can't break down teams who sit back which leaves no space for the less intelligent players who really rely on space.
Mctominay is to eth what fellaini became to lvg. And the funny thing is both managers wanted those players gone until a sub appearance resulted in a goal.
I'd say he stumbled upon a fit Eriksen who controlled our midfield last season.

croadyman

We got put to the sword by a team who lost 14 of their last 18 games whilst playing a suicidal style of play, which we've seen all season. Clear as day he isn't the right man for the job now, we just have to hope the alternative isn't Southgate.
Yeah please INEOS not Southgate

Roboc7

I have no idea whether he will be kept on for next season but if he is he will be sacked within first 10 games. We are awful and the league table flatters us almost as made as a drawer flattered us last night.

The idea that ETH is doing anything that will lead to success is laughable. The best thing he has going for him is we have no structure in place yet and so much to do that he might get kept on by default which will be a disaster

Sylar

I'd say he stumbled upon a fit Eriksen who controlled our midfield last season.
We looked decent to good with eriksen casemiro and Bruno until eriksen injury. And of course case reds which impacted him. We just needed something similar this season and we've gone so far away from it.

It feels very game by game what we're going to do rather than a set style that we aim for.

AndySmith1990

It's just ridiculous at this point. I don't care whether he's sacked today or after the final game of the season, but he simply cannot stay beyond that. We never win due to a tactical masterclass

IncyWincySpider

No chance of him being here come the summer. I think he knows it too. Hopefully he gets another cup win before he goes though.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Whats worrying is outside of Van Gaal who is a stubborn nutter, all our managers post Moyes all resorted to playing either gungho or unstructured football and gave up their ideals. Erik being the latest. If anyone remembers it kinda happened with Rangnick too, for all his philosophy talks we resorted to playing shit football near the end for result and I have no doubt had he continued itd end up similarly like what we are seeing.

Something is wrong and that needs to be addressed regardless if Erik stays as the manager or not. No manager can thrive like this.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If it’s “just Ajax” and they win it every year, just remind me where they are right now?

Let’s not downplay what he did there. Everyone was rubbing themselves silly when he arrived.
Yes they were, and I think most people would still agree that ETH was the right profile of manager that we should have been signing. But that doesn't mean that he would definitely work out, and it also doesn't mean we should keep giving him more and more time when it's looking increasingly likely that it's not going to work. At some point you bite the bullet and move on to the next one, and see if that manager will work out.

ETH has had some unfortunate circumstances around his time here. Obviously the incompetence at the boardroom, the issues with Ronaldo, Sancho, Greenwood and to a lesser extent Antony, the badly built squad, and the injury toll this season. So I do have some sympathy for him that it's very very far away from being an ideal situation for him to work in. However, it still doesn't excuse just how bad we've actually been. Our place on the table actually isn't reflective on our performances, as there have been quite a few games this season that we've been very lucky to get anything out of when we've been comfortably second best. We actually 'deserve' to be lower.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What makes me sad is knowing that the Liverpool performance/result was the outlier and that we've simply returned to the mean. The new dawn lasted all of a single game, and because it was an international break, got stretched over two full weeks, two weeks where one might be optimistic in the belief all the positive could be extracted whilst the negative put to the wayside... turns out, it's exactly the opposite; not a single element of those positives were on display and simultaneously, the worst of what we have tended to be all season was even more dire, evidenced by the stats of the game where Brentford have run roughshod with us having our twelfth man, Woodwork, to thank for them not being multiple goals up inside 70 minutes.

We are abject so frequently that it's drained the life out of the fanbase - sick and tired of being sick and tired is apt. It's a real drag to repeat the same things over and over and over, and the erosion of morale and things to cling on to, in the belief the turnaround is finally upon us, has reduced to I'd say the lowest ebb of the season now. Why? Because there's no conviction behind the words anymore; they are empty and routine, like coping mechanisms to get us over the line each 90 minutes, and I think this one hits particularly hard because of the hope that we had finally, finally turned a corner.... after the labyrinth of them we've chugged through over the course of a season.

We're now in the run-in. We get to see what teams are about and all have their set style of play and a firm imprint on the league. The international break is no excuse given all of a 'rivals' for the CL spots came out the blocks on fire and as they were before the break showing exactly what they are about and what they stand for. Unfortunately, we've done the exact same - we look like us again. It's as simple as that.

There are certain things I can tolerate, but the lack of regard for what midfield is and what it should stand for in a team being ignored is astonishing to me. I've bemoaned it for most of the season and I cannot stand the way we exert zero control on games through midfield. Even if you don't care about the element of control because you're scoring goals, the importance of it in terms of giving your team time to recover whilst absolutely killing the spirit of the opposition is literally 60+ years in the making. We are not some revolutionary entity who has found a way to bypass what is legion, and ironically, it is us constantly put to the sword by these very principles as opposing sides exhaust us as we chase them back and forth through midfield, that is galling. To not only be poor in midfield, but then have it used against us is the kind of gut punch that sours and I hate that element of what we are more than anything. It also has to be galling for players to go on international breaks to teams where midfield and control are respected and then come back to whatever the feck it is we do with ours.

The turnaround is crazy - from ten Hag's 8th of 9 lives potentially being the one that finally sees him construct something being spent, to him now possibly being out by this time next week. I think the executioner has sharpened his equipment to a fine point now. We're really reaching the end this time.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Exactly. Any team can get unlucky & lose but what we are witnessing is fundamentally poor coaching. Either, A) He’s telling them to do stuff they can not, in which case tailor the tactic of B) He’s unable to coach a cohesive system full stop. Either way this is not what Ineos should deem acceptable performance.
Yep. In that aspect it reminds me a lot of LVG's time here.

LVG had three huge problems. Firstly, he couldn't get the players in the team to play the style he wanted. Secondly, he proved unable to buy the players that would allow the team to play how he wanted. And thirdly, he wasn't able to adjust the style or set-up to get the most out of the players that he had. Put all three of those together and we were going nowhere.

ETH seems to be repeating all three issues, albeit the actual playstyle couldn't be more different. LVG just had us controlling the ball aimlessly without any real point to it, just passing the ball around between the defenders and midfielders and expecting our entire attacking threat to just be pulled out of moments of individual brilliance. Whereas ETH doesn't seem to care about controlling the ball at all, or to be more exact he seems to want to control it through individual brilliance instead of actually setting up a system to promote it.