Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 399 46.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 462 53.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Do you not think it’s an enormous risk to stick with a manager who has spent 400 million pounds without improving the squad while having us play football that, without the frankly ridiculous amounts of luck we’ve had this season, would barely have us in the top 10?
The £400m spent is an issue above the manager. I'm not going to be sidetracked by that silly debate again.

I most certainly agree that Ten Hag is ultimately failing this season. I also think Ten Hag over achieved last season. Going into season 3 I would have no issue ditching him if an established winner were available, who has proven structure in their team without trying to overcomplicate things. That doesn't exist however. I don't see an issue with say, keeping ten hag one season and if it failed then tap into what is likely a better managerial market with Enrique or Ancelotti or maybe even others being available and more proven by that stage.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I don’t think we need a new manager.

I think we need to shift out several players and bring more physically able players.

:lol:

I don’t think INEOS will sack him and I think I’ll be proven right next season.
So you believe player quality/physicality alone are the reason we're getting outplayed game after game?

He's spent £400m and hasn't brought in physical players but we should back him with more?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Be nice & address the post not the poster.

More than enough to go back & forth about EtH then be drawn away with insults as has been the case with you before.
You're not going to get away with making things up and youl be called out when you don't actually read my posts. I would have been nicer if you didn't ironically accuse me of failing to grasp things.

AFC NimbleThumb

Jesus christ you're not getting it are you.
Its not that the other tipped options are just risks. It's that they are also big risks with open styles of play that don't fill me with confidence. If Ancelotti or Enrique were available with established contained structure then I'd be more favourable to it.
Done with you lad.

It’s not about ‘getting it’ cause quite frankly you’ve been unable to ‘get it’ about EtH for months.

If you’re going to preface all your replies with some infantile jab just move on to discussions with members who have the energy for you because I can’t be bothered with your aggressive avoidance to simple questions today.

It’s clear we don’t agree on EtH fundamentally. Me asking for clarification from you is an attempt to start discussions but you’re too bloody egotistical.

Jev

The £400m spent is an issue above the manager. I'm not going to be sidetracked by that silly debate again.

I most certainly agree that Ten Hag is ultimately failing this season. I also think Ten Hag over achieved last season. Going into season 3 I would have no issue ditching him if an established winner were available, who has proven structure in their team without trying to overcomplicate things. That doesn't exist however. I don't see an issue with say, keeping ten hag one season and if it failed then tap into what is likely a better managerial market with Enrique or Ancelotti or maybe even others being available and more proven by that stage.
I just don’t follow the logic that a new manager would be a risk while ETH is somehow the safe option. Surely there’s nothing riskier than sticking with a manager who has been an abject failure by every single measure or criteria?

AFC NimbleThumb

You're not going to get away with making things up and youl be called out when you don't actually read my posts. I would have been nicer if you didn't ironically accuse me of failing to grasp things.
See post 83,283

No one’s making things up lad. You’re being challenged on your BS & instead of countering you’re attempting to subvert the discussion.

Grow up.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Done with you lad.

It’s not about ‘getting it’ cause quite frankly you’ve been unable to ‘get it’ about EtH for months.

If you’re going to preface all your replies with some infantile jab just move on to discussions with members who have the energy for you because I can’t be bothered with your aggressive avoidance to simple questions today.

It’s clear we don’t agree on EtH fundamentally. Me asking for clarification from you is an attempt to start discussions but you’re too bloody egotistical.
You didn't ask for clarification though. You gave silly jibes first. Anyway, the managers tipped now look very open and too risky for my liking right now. Given ten hag had one very good season, and one bad season, I'd rather see how he fairs under a better structure and go into season 3, knowing the managerial market for what's ultimately a long term project will be much better if we had to dip into it then.

This is caveated of course with a working assumption that our form in 2024 doesn't implode.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There's also an argument to say we'd have been more successful keeping Mourinho and weeding out problem players in the squad.
There isn't any argument to have and also we weeded out the biggest problem at that time, it was the Virus Jose.

Mullet_Man

Give him start of next season. Give him another 4/5 players (and at least one fit LB)

Last night was absolutely awful.
Absolutely not. How many more players do we need to let him waste money on. Are Ajax going to have a flash sale or something.

Starting next season and wasting a pre season with him would be disastrous and would result potentially another wank season like this one.

He's got to go, INEOS need to implement the style of football they said they will decide which EtH clearly can't get the team playing and isn't even willing to try, he has never tried to get us playing like Ajax.

So getting in a manager that can and having the pre season to work on it is a must, would rather we have a bad season next season trying to implement an actual way of playing than wasting it with EtH.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I just don’t follow the logic that a new manager would be a risk while ETH is somehow the safe option. Surely there’s nothing riskier than sticking with a manager who has been an abject failure by every single measure or criteria?
Parking the hyperbole, ten hag has ultimately had a good season and a bad season. The other shortlisted managers come with their own risks, a couple of them notably very open in their own play and not having big club pedigree either.

Thats why I said if we had say Ancelotti or Enrique in the market, I sort of get it. But right now I don't see a big difference in risk. I'd rather just stick through the pain and IF it's sour at the end, wel get someone more proven in.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There isn't any argument to have and also we weeded out the biggest problem at that time, it was the Virus Jose.
Your opinion. We all know how you felt about Jose. I don't want to get sidetracked.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
You didn't ask for clarification though. You gave silly jibes first. Anyway, the managers tipped now look very open and too risky for my liking right now. Given ten hag had one very good season, and one bad season, I'd rather see how he fairs under a better structure and go into season 3, knowing the managerial market for what's ultimately a long term project will be much better if we had to dip into it then.

This is caveated of course with a working assumption that our form in 2024 doesn't implode.
I think that's fair.

Jev

Parking the hyperbole, ten hag has ultimately had a good season and a bad season. The other shortlisted managers come with their own risks, a couple of them notably very open in their own play and not having big club pedigree either.

Thats why I said if we had say Ancelotti or Enrique in the market, I sort of get it. But right now I don't see a big difference in risk. I'd rather just stick through the pain and IF it's sour at the end, wel get someone more proven in.
Do you honestly think that this season has simply been ‘bad’? I’d say that’s the opposite of hyperbole.

AFC NimbleThumb

. . .
Done with you lad.

roonster09

Scout
Your opinion. We all know how you felt about Jose. I don't want to get sidetracked.
And we all know how you felt about Jose and now about EtH.

It's amazing after watching how his career nosedived after Chelsea stint you are still saying it would have worked out for him at ManUtd had we sold couple of players.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

It's amazing after watching how his career nosedived after Chelsea stint you are still saying it would have worked out for him at ManUtd had we sold couple of players.
It's amazing how after Ole regressed the club in mentality and a barren run of trophies you would argue keeping Mourinho would have been worse. But here we are.

roonster09

Scout
It's amazing how after Ole regressed the club in mentality and a barren run of trophies you would argue keeping Mourinho would have been worse. But here we are.
At least Ole recovered that season and gave some high moments. Jose was a disaster, ole failed too doesn't mean it would have been better to keep Jose. This kind of backward logic is the reason you are still defending EtH.

AndySmith1990

Some people just refuse to admit when they are wrong.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's not an opinion to state that the man was toxic, he was happy to shit on the club's history and the results were getting worse every weeks. Funnily enough people still pretend that it isn't the players that he targeted that lengthened his tenure, his players were failing badly and would have seen him sacked months earlier. Also Mourinho failed in every other job he had after that.

So the facts are that he was failing at United and he failed after United.

Leftback99

I dread to think what our football will look like if this isn't the 'imploded' version.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yes we have been hit badly by injuries, but a lot of this is down to lack of cohesive coaching. We can't take set pieces, we can't defend set pieces, we are wide open in midfield. We cannot play out from the back, but keep trying to. We cannot put the ball in the net. As others have said, todays game is about pressing, we can't do that either. Good coaching and players would just slot in as they know the system with their eyes closed.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Anyone still defending him or wanting him to continue, can you give some logical reasons on why you are still backing him?

I tried to find any positives but couldn't find any. We are looking as bad as we did under Ralf and even worse.
Because the way we play could actually work great. It's individual player mistakes and lack of effort that fecks us over. Time and time again players losing 1vs1, not weighting the correct pass. It's obvious lack of player quality for me.

And I don't care that the results are shaky. Ten Hag sticks to the way he wants to play and doesn't want to revert us to deep defending counter attacking team, which would suit most of our players.

We need to move on from Bruno and Rashford. Players who constantly produce 7/10 performances would be much better than players who produce 9/10 performance once in five games, beign 2/10 the other four.

McTominay shouldn't be anywhere near the starting lineup.

It was a bad performance, but the substitutions worked well. Next game we'll look much better and sharper.

After Liverpool a bunch of posters said nothing in this thread, and now they are basically living here.

Nothing more to say.

AndySmith1990

Because the way we play could actually work great. It's individual player mistakes and lack of effort that fecks us over. Time and time again players losing 1vs1, not weighting the correct pass. It's obvious lack of player quality for me.

And I don't care that the results are shaky. Ten Hag sticks to the way he wants to play and doesn't want to revert us to deep defending counter attacking team, which would suit most of our players.

We need to move on from Bruno and Rashford. Players who constantly produce 7/10 performances would be much better than players who produce 9/10 performance once in five games, beign 2/10 the other four.

It was a bad performance, but the substitutions worked well. Next game we'll look much better and sharper.

After Liverpool a bunch of posters said nothing in this thread, and now they are basically living here.

Nothing more to say.
This thread has been active all season, because guess what, we've been bad all season, so don't start with implying posts from today & yesterday are kneejerk

Savlehest

I would 100 % back him if we play like Tottenham but loose some games. But this kind of football, dominated, embarrassing, expensive players he bought and the overall lack of tactics and Ingame management.. I have no words, total out of depth.
The manager puzzle this summer is getting interesting with Xabi staying in Leverkusen.

Leftback99

Nothing more to say.
Based on what? Can you point to a single game so that we can see what good looks like in this system?

DomesticTadpole

Keeping Rashford on for so long and not taking of Bruno and Mctominay is not good or brave management.

At City Halaand, De Bruyne get subbed or even dropped. At United ETH keeps on our worse performers and subs our young players because it’s the easy option. Still EtH in, but would not object to a manager with courage taking over. The problem is still player power.
Losing two subs to injury doesn't help, but yes those players are a massive problem for us. Bruno used to be the centre of everything we did, what the hell has happened to him. McTominay has always been average. Rashford I just do not know what is going on with him.

wolvored

The fact collectively they were all a shambles makes me wonder how they are being trained. If it’s one or two then you can say it’s the players only, but there is something deeper afoot here. You can say all the players wasn’t TH signings, but he’s still picking them and picking tactics, style of play, in game management etc.

E-mal

This man is jus

Nothing more to say.
This post is devoid of reality.
How do you press and have your back line in low block at thesame time? We are the most open team in the league, spaces everywhere. This system is rubbish and you have to be the most optimistic person on earth to think this manager has got it in his locker to produce dominant performances when the facts shown we get dominated every game even when we get results.

Last edited:

IncyWincySpider

I don’t really want Southgate here but I would take him right now over Hag. There is no recovery from this position it’s just a matter of when he’s sacked.

Born2Lose

I used to say he'd made us a mid table side, it's not stopped there, he's continuing the downward spiral.
  • Man Utd have allowed 106 shots across their four games in March.
  • They have conceded 20+shots in six of their last seven league games.
  • Brentford are the first side to have 80+ touches in their opponents' box in the league this season.
https://www.skysports.com/football/...ses-on-everton-premier-league-hits-and-misses

DomesticTadpole

They just think it can all be explained away by personnel. If only we had a fit LB and a pacy CB and this or that, everything would fall into place (the build up, the press and such). There's no way a good manager does this poorly even if he doesn't have all the pieces in place.

It was worth a punt, get rid and start fresh with the new structure.
Thing is we don't even have a new structure in place yet anyway. It will take ages to get it up and running, players sold and bought. That could be another season gone. We need somebody who can actually coach and turn the players into a fully functioning unit.

FortunaUtd

Exactly. Every manager is a risk & in turn some of those risks work out whilst others do not.

Hiring EtH was ‘a risk’ in itself no? Would you say that risk is bearing reasonable results?
No, it isn't. But it was a risk well worth taking. The decision to hire Ten Hag was a good one.
Just as sacking Ten Hag to hire a new promising manager will be a risk worth taking and a good decision.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
At least Ole recovered that season and gave some high moments. Jose was a disaster, ole failed too doesn't mean it would have been better to keep Jose. This kind of backward logic is the reason you are still defending EtH.
Your agenda is so blatant, Jose was a disaster but Ole just "failed".
Lets go back to my original statement - I said a coach who took us to our highest point tally and finish, winning 2 cups in the way, would have probably been more successful if we just stuck with his rebuild than Ole, a manager who had our longest barren run without cups.

My metrics are squad standards, silverware and mentality. Yours can be vibes and hi5s, that's fine. I honestly don't care, but let's not claim it's remotely as contraversial as you're suggesting.

Also this has nothing to do with Ten Hag, who I'm not defending since last night by the way. Weird timing to suddenly accuse me of that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's not an opinion to state that the man was toxic, he was happy to shit on the club's history and the results were getting worse every weeks. Funnily enough people still pretend that it isn't the players that he targeted that lengthened his tenure, his players were failing badly and would have seen him sacked months earlier. Also Mourinho failed in every other job he had after that.

So the facts are that he was failing at United and he failed after United.
Not denying he had toxic traits. I'm saying he was better than Ole.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Would Real, Barcelona or Bayern put up with this garbage week in week out?
Tuchel was heavily criticised for the CL group stage this season by fans and media in Germany, similarly to EtH, maybe even more. As United and Bayern played in the same group I think that's an excellent reference for comparison of both clubs.

So what was Bayern unhappy with? 5 W - 1 D - 0 L, 12:6 goals. Why were they unhappy? Because their series of wins in the CL group stages ended, because they conceded twice as many goals as last year and scored almost only half as much. This was seen as Bayern in crisis and as we know meanwhile lead to Tuchel having to leave at the end of the season.

United reacted more positively to 1 W - 1 D - 4 L, 12:15 goals, basically Onana's mistakes were blamed and a lot seemed to call it a day with criticising him.