Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 453 49.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 469 50.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

New Balance Robbo

He’ll be gone after this season unless he wins the FA Cup

It’s been a very poor season. Lost too many games, no identity or way of playing.

Mike Smalling

Somehow people have turned those words into negative thing but you need all of that to implement any style of play.
Yeah, but when you have no style of play it becomes a lazy explanation for the manager as to why we are or are not winning.

Malone_Post

He was dumpster diving for a lot of these signings and a few of his signings this season have been injury struck. That said, his football has been shite.
Antony 85 million
Casimero 60 million
Martinez 56 million
Mount 60 million
Onana 45 million
Hojlund 70 million

Dumpster diving indeed :lol:

The only thing worse then ETH are the ETH fanboys. Can’t wait for him to be sacked so they can all piss off & follow him to his next club back in the Eredivisie.

De Zerbi has drawn with Everton , lost to Wolves, hammered 3-0 by Fulham and beaten 5-0 by Roma on aggregate in the last 5 games….but PL proven :rolleyes:
I personally wouldn’t go near him it’s Nagelsmann or Amorim for me .
De Zerbi dealt with a less than average summer, losing the spine of the team. And still sit around European spots while playing great football. He’s done well with the squad available. Puts the argument to shame about not being able to keep the ball without your first choice.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Antony 85 million
Casimero 60 million
Martinez 56 million
Mount 60 million
Onana 45 million
Hojlund 70 million

The only thing worse then ETH are the ETH fanboys. Can’t wait for him to be sacked so they can all piss off & follow him to his next club back in the Eredivisie.
400m and the shit we serve up every week simply doesn't warrant another 200m wasted this summer and the same shit next year.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
400m and the shit we serve up every week simply doesn't warrant another 200m wasted this summer and the same shit next year.
I think the new structure has to make everyone accountable, including players and footballing operations or it doesnt work

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Last night was the first time I really started to waver on him.

Simply unacceptable to be coached so poorly against a team who really aren’t that good.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Antony 85 million
Casimero 60 million
Martinez 56 million
Mount 60 million
Onana 45 million
Hojlund 70 million

To be fair he didn't say all signings were dumpster dives. Now list the other signings, which include a lot of terrible loans or transfers like Evans who only was there to keep his fitness and didn't dream of getting a contract.

AFC NimbleThumb

Yep. If you consider the simple act of hiring managers too big of a risk to take, you can close down the football club.
All things considered, Ten Hag was not a very risky appointment, the balance between risk and potential was tipped well towards the latter. Hence, a good decision.
And it is not like he relegated us, he did quite well last season, but has since shown he is not able anymore to set up the team competitively.
Ultimately, the biggest risk now is clinging on to a situation that spells declining into upper midtable.
Fully agree.

For me unless you’re talking about Pep or Klopp in todays game there are a number of managers the rung below that are ‘replacement’ level for each other. A lot of the success of these managers comes with the players at their disposal & their willingness to integrate the concepts modern football rewards.

You could argue EtH doesn’t have the players to which I’d somewhat agree although neither Ange nor Emry are operating with a squad of their own making entirely.

My biggest concern with EtH now is that he seems to be shunning the basics decent managers have accepted. This willingness to concede 20 shots a game isn’t the new Inverted Fullback it’s stupid at every level.

There are a certain element of our fans who are more concerned with the name above the managers door than the one illuminating Old Trafford. The club owe EtH nothing. He’ll be compensated & will go on to manage another team, he’s not going to be sat at home crying over United should he leave. The guy interviewed for Spurs a season before us ffs!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Antony 85 million
Casimero 60 million
Martinez 56 million
Mount 60 million
Onana 45 million
Hojlund 70 million

Martinez and Mount have effectively been injured all season. Hojlund was a project signing that the club and he synced on, knowing the benefits are reaped longer term than for immediate impact.

Also money spent isn't an indictment on our coach. We wasted money chronically well before ten hag came in.

Park the name calling mate, come back when you have an actual point.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
The only thing worse than anything, are the people who refuse to accept different opinions and points of view.
Can't wait for us to win the FA cup and the likes you piss off out of redcafe for a few weeks. Until our next bad game anyway.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Signing are poor
Playing style is shit
We don't score goals, scored less than Luton
Only 3 clubs have conceded more shots than us.
Goal difference is 0 after 29 games
Most embarassing defeats like 7-0, 6-2 and many more
Bottom of CL group which was just poor group.

What exactly did he improve.

His first season was so promising, now it's just terrible. Only thing I can praise him for is the way he introduced Mainoo. Many might have hesitated as it's a CM position.
Just to be clear, I'm in full agreement this season is bad. I also agree that he's played his hand wrongly, even when considering the injuries. We don't look improved, and this football is worse than Ole right now.

All that being said, I'm just saying from one good season and one bad season, I'd only remove him if 1) we capitulate in 2024 form Or 2) an established coach with more pedigree is available. Otherwise I'd stick one more season, and if that sours we have a much better likelihood of picking up a coach with more established pedigree (I am looking at Luis Enrique or Ancelotti as examples). My worry is the De Zerbi and Nagelsmann of this world will still come with very open plays that could be difficult to transcend at a club like ours.

soapythecat

Chelsea is a circus under Boehly, it's tough to actually gauge managerial pedigree from it
We’re a circus too I’d say. I don’t see what metric Poch would excel here when he’s not ripping up trees at Chelsea and was pretty poor in Paris. We need a better appointment in my eyes. Poch should not be on our radar.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Somehow people have turned those words into negative thing but you need all of that to implement any style of play.
It is the bare minimum you expect from footballers at any level - and yet he's talking about it in pre-match interviews like it is going to be the deciding factor in games.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Stop starting those players not giving a shit or being shit. Bench Bruno, Rashy, McT, et al. Play Amad, Mount, whoever is motivated ffs. Zero competition in this team and he is to blame

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The only thing worse than anything, are the people who refuse to accept different opinions and points of view.
Can't wait for us to win the FA cup and the likes you piss off out of redcafe for a few weeks. Until our next bad game anyway.
And what about if we get embarrassed by either City in the final or Coventry before that? Will you finally admit your man isn't all that?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We’re a circus too I’d say. I don’t see what metric Poch would excel here when he’s not ripping up trees at Chelsea and was pretty poor in Paris. We need a better appointment in my eyes. Poch should not be on our radar.
Next season we'd have a much better structure than Boehly. Working under Berrada and Ashworth is probably much more likely to build a coach for success than working under Boehly.

AndySmith1990

And what about if we get embarrassed by either City in the final or Coventry before that? Will you finally admit your man isn't all that?
Why would he? During Ten Hag's tenure we've already been embarrassed in the CL, thrashed by our rivals, and beaten by relegation fodder. Anyone who is still going out of their way to make excuses for Ten Hag are clearly never going to stop. They'll die on that hill

Betson

It would be neglect of duty if INEOS are not actively sounding out his replacement , what we saw last night should never be acceptable from a Man Utd team and management.

lsd

The Oracle
He’ll be gone after this season unless he wins the FA Cup

It’s been a very poor season. Lost too many games, no identity or way of playing.

Winning the FA cup won't save him if we don't qualify for the champions League especially if there are five places on offer.

It would be beyond pathetic that we would fail to finish in the top five and there's no way he should be allowed to keep his job after such a failure

Carolina Red

Staff
What did he say? I didn't hang around for the post match.
Well, first he went in on how not only is our place in the table not good enough, but our football is way off too. Used the example of how Luton has more goals than us. Then ETH did his presser and they came back to Robbie and he went in on how ETH has no answers, on the pitch or to the press & how if he were INEOS, he’d be doing a full clear out of the coaching staff heading into next season.

r0663664

Worships Man City
ETH always see positive from his side, no matter how crap his team. He will sat great to see Mount scoring his first goal for United and there will be more to come. If you say we have no style of play then it is wrong. We have a style where we are constantly overrun in midfield, there are gap in midfield whenever McTominay plays. McTominay only offer height in defending from set pieces and occasionally scoring but nothing else. He can't defend, put it a tackle, make a pass and yet he is firmly in ETH's XI. McTominay has been in United for a long time, no manager has made McTominay first choice except ETH. ETH is willing to sacrifice overall play in search for goals. ETH out ASAP, I don't need such manager at United.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Anyone still defending him or wanting him to continue, can you give some logical reasons on why you are still backing him?

I tried to find any positives but couldn't find any. We are looking as bad as we did under Ralf and even worse.
I almost convinced myself that the Liverpool match was going to be (I know…another!) a turning point. I change my vote to EtH out a couple of months ago, albeit I was a bit of a fence sitter truth be told but yeah, now I’m firmly EtH out. Guys clueless and out of his depth here. His post match interviews are also becoming more and more grating as it’s either “we performed well (when we clearly didn’t) or what he said about Brentford and city yesterday. Delusional.

LordSpud

Stop starting those players not giving a shit or being shit. Bench Bruno, Rashy, McT, et al. Play Amad, Mount, whoever is motivated ffs. Zero competition in this team and he is to blame
Guaranteed the next manager plays those same 3 players constantly too though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I almost convinced myself that the Liverpool match was going to be (I know…another!) a turning point. I change my vote to EtH out a couple of months ago, albeit I was a bit of a fence sitter truth be told but yeah, now I’m firmly EtH out. Guys clueless and out of his depth here. His post match interviews are also becoming more and more grating as it’s either “we performed well (when we clearly didn’t) or what he said about Brentford and city yesterday. Delusional.
Yeah, I wanted to back him after Liverpool game and thought maybe we will find some spark.

It's amazing how we are worse than Luton or other promoted teams.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I was actually pissed off seeing him celebrate Mount's goal. Like it was all part of the master plan. Did anyone else feel like that or am I just a weirdo?
Totally. I said as much in the Post match thread. The absolute cheek to celebrate after watching us serve up sh*t for 90 minutes. A Manchester United manager should be ashamed of us performing like we did yesterday, regardless of result. It wasn't just a standard poor performance that could happen to any team on an off day, it was unforgivably wretched. Anyone unfamiliar with the sport would think there was a massive gulf between the two teams, like a National League club drawing a Prem club in the FA Cup. And in that scenario, I would still expect the National League club to come away feeling disappointed that they failed to show up.

I've been fairly generous to Ten Hag, but my patience has been wearing for a while now. I think yesterday was the moment of no return.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

What has ETH shown you in his 2 years here to suggest he's the man for this job?
Won a trophy, got us 3rd.

Developed Dalot, Garnacho, Mainoo, Højlund, Martinez.

Has been desperately unlucky this season with injury, incompetence in our football structure and has made do with that.

There’s more but I’m out with the family and having a shit.
What is keeping the faith for you?
See above there is more and I’ll add to this tonight.
He chose Antony [small], Mount [not imposing either], Onana [not particularly dominant], Malacia [another small player], Martínez [combative yet tiny], Casemiro [you could argue he really wanted De Jong but aging], Eriksen [good for a feee transfer but again lacking physically].

I’ll give him Hojlund.

You could make the excuse that he shouldn’t have been signing players to which I’d agree but we should look at what him being able to sign players tells us.

He quite simply doesn’t grasp the physicality that is in the Premier League. Look at Arsenal who were long derided for their lack of stature, they’re not full of units.

I’m actually willing to forgive EtH quite a bit but to misunderstand the league in the way he has is alarming.

Be nice & address the post not the poster.

More than enough to go back & forth about EtH then be drawn away with insults as has been the case with you before.
He chose Antony in the absence of other available options. He was asking for a striker, didnt get one. So went for something else. He didn’t decide the fee our negotiation incompetence did.

Mount will be a quality signing.

Onana is an excellent GK for playing out.

Malacia back up left back but a fighter

Casemiro great in both boxes aerially and a fighter but old.

It took Arsenal time. So it also will take us time to get the squad right.

We will get there and I believe with Ten Hag.
So you believe player quality/physicality alone are the reason we're getting outplayed game after game?

He's spent £400m and hasn't brought in physical players but we should back him with more?
The Brentford game 100% but a combination of things especially injury have made this season tactically a nightmare for any coach to fix.
Absolutely not. How many more players do we need to let him waste money on. Are Ajax going to have a flash sale or something.

Starting next season and wasting a pre season with him would be disastrous and would result potentially another wank season like this one.

He's got to go, INEOS need to implement the style of football they said they will decide which EtH clearly can't get the team playing and isn't even willing to try, he has never tried to get us playing like Ajax.

So getting in a manager that can and having the pre season to work on it is a must, would rather we have a bad season next season trying to implement an actual way of playing than wasting it with EtH.
Do you think we have had the players available this season to be comfortable top 4?

If so please name them.
I am worried about that, give him a chance with a new structure, which atm is one person who starts in June, another we are fighting over a fee with Newcastle so will not be in place for ages, then where's the rest.
I understand the worry I just think we’re being a bit too expectant over what we can actually achieve right now with this squad.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Jesus christ you're not getting it are you.
Its not that the other tipped options are just risks. It's that they are also big risks with open styles of play that don't fill me with confidence. If Ancelotti or Enrique were available with established contained structure then I'd be more favourable to it.
I agree that many of the other options that are mentioned do have an open play style that will cause issues at times.

What I would say though is that their openness is caused by a gung-ho attacking style with a lot of movement and overloads, which leaves them open when they lose it. Whereas under ETH we have an open style of play that teams can easily run through, while not actually gaining any attacking advantages from being that open.

People like Ange or De Zerbi for instance, I expect we would have some games where we get run through and concede quite a lot of goals. But we'd at least be playing more attractive football and creating more goal scoring opportunities at the other end, and after a year or two of that we'd closer to where we want to be than how we are with whatever it is that ETH is trying to implement this season. Whether it'd then be Ange / De Zerbi who would push us to the next level is another question, or whether we'd then have to move them on for somebody else.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It'll be worrying if the FA cup saves him. Even Woodward showed more ambition by sacking LVG after he won it
Hopefully the new management is talking to managers. Someone like Nagelsmann would be awesome.

soapythecat

I wonder if the new management team tell him a style of football to play. If so, will he leave? He seems very stubborn and I can’t see him being told to play a certain way.
Either way, his current style of drop all won’t be accepted by any competent team in charge.

Pyro19

Totally. I said as much in the Post match thread. The absolute cheek to celebrate after watching us serve up sh*t for 90 minutes. A Manchester United manager should be ashamed of us performing like we did yesterday, regardless of result. It wasn't just a standard poor performance that could happen to any team on an off day, it was unforgivably wretched. Anyone unfamiliar with the sport would think there was a massive gulf between the two teams, like a National League club drawing a Prem club in the FA Cup. And in that scenario, I would still expect the National League club to come away feeling disappointed that they failed to show up.

I've been fairly generous to Ten Hag, but my patience has been wearing for a while now. I think yesterday was the moment of no return.
That's exactly how you know that he isn't the man for this job or for any team that wants to consistently challenge for trophies. A small time coach with a small time mentality, celebrating every win where we scrape by and he survives for yet another week

Oranges038

ETH needs to inject some pace and get a more comsistent tempo into the team. It's all too slow, attempting to be too intricate but when speed is needed the play gets sloppy, poor touches, underhit passes, passes to the wrong side, playing the wrong pass.. all this shite.

Yesterday, playing Mainoo on his own behind McT and Bruno was a pile of bollocks, learned nothing from the Newcastle game. Everythhing that is shite about this team and these players was on display yesterday.

Brentford were direct and physical, they make good runs and play balls into the right areas, so you're two options are to stop it at source or drop off and deal with the ball in air, did neither well enough iny opinion and ended up conceding chance after chance from long balls in the build up. That's got to be sorted out by the players on the pitch, they need to take ownership and start recognising and organising this shit to deal with it as a team.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I wonder if the new management team tell him a style of football to play. If so, will he leave? He seems very stubborn and I can’t see him being told to play a certain way.
Either way, his current style of drop all won’t be accepted by any competent team in charge.
He wouldn't be able to implement it anyway.

AndySmith1990

That's exactly how you know that he isn't the man for this job or for any team that wants to consistently challenge for trophies. A small time coach with a small time mentality, celebrating every win where we scrape by and he survives for yet another week
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ten Hag has the mentality of David Moyes. It's like he's just happy to be here and get plucky United making it difficult for their opponents.

I've been convinced for a long time that the job is too big for him. Shame we always have to go through this same old predictable slow drawn out death before anything changes

Syphon Wallet

What other top club would tolerate 6th in the league with 11 losses?
Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, City, PSG the manager would be long gone.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well, first he went in on how not only is our place in the table not good enough, but our football is way off too. Used the example of how Luton has more goals than us. Then ETH did his presser and they came back to Robbie and he went in on how ETH has no answers, on the pitch or to the press & how if he were INEOS, he’d be doing a full clear out of the coaching staff heading into next season.
Thanks.

Syphon Wallet

Hopefully the new management is talking to managers. Someone like Nagelsmann would be awesome.
Nagelsmann is my choice too, I am fully aware it would be a risk, but he's someone we could build with if it works out.
So many of the other potential names are uninspiring.