Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 350 43.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 454 56.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Waynne

Why is he still employed? Shouldn’t even be a lingering doubt from Ratcliffe and the rest that he simply cannot be our manager next season.
Because INEOS are working in the background to recruit new backroom staff. Its these new guys that will be working with the new CEO to bring in a suitable manager after they've identified how they want to play moving forward.

Until those building blocks are in place we are stuck with ETH. I doubt they'll continue with him come next season. If they do then shite I'll probably fully check out.

Andersonson

He should stay, there aren't many options out there anyways. We have an important FA cup tie coming up and he should get reassurances from the club so he can work in peace.

12 months left, give him the time and let the club with our new sporting people get time to settle and work out our way forward. Our sporting director and technical director hasn't started yet, would be foolish to do such a big change before they even arrive. They need to be involved in the process forward

IrishMcD

I’d actually love to see Jose for the rest of the season just for the entertainment of the press conferences and him calling out the likes of Rashford for being a lazy prick. The seasons a write off anyway at this stage. Plus be nice for him to win another cup with us :nervous:
Im Joking obviously. Kinda.

UDontMessWith24

Whilst he can’t be directly blamed for Dalot tripping an attacker or no one closing down Chelsea’s star player from a corner, I thought he went too defensive in the last 15 minutes. We seemed to go from a 4-3-3 to a 4-5-1 and most of our threat on the break vanished. I’d have moved Bruno to the false 9 position and played Rashford left, giving us more of a direct counter-threat.

Our players also seemed a bit confused. We had Mount, Rashford and Mainoo trying to keep the ball and play possession but others seemed to still be trying to drive forwards. Felt likely to be a failure to properly communicate instructions.
They weren’t trying to keep the ball, they were keeping the ball and keeping it effectively around the 93rd, thanks in large part to Mount’s link up play and ball retrieval, but of course someone had to try a killer ball when Chelsea were barely pressing. Nobody instructed Mainoo to try and play someone in behind when the opposition is teetering with three minutes to go, but that’s just how it goes at United.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
But how many managers do we need to fail under before you accept the problem is deeper than just one individual? It can be both. I don't think he's the right manager and I don't think a lot of these players have the right mentality. Both can be true.
Both can be true, but it isn't in this case because his instructions are being followed and executed, even to the detriment of the players and their health - no matter what, they come out again and again chugging away aimlessly following a plan that's doomed to fail from the outset, or at least one that ensures another horrible day at the office win, lose or draw (we never look good or comfortable, even in the vast majority of wins).

These players need culling and that's not something I refute, but there is a scale of a relativity to the league, and the only reason why we top the table for shots conceded and aren't one of the relegation teams in that company is because of the relative quality of our players - but relativity has top end, too, and that's where no matter how much effort we play with, without superior coaching and tactics, the sum of these particular parts is around abouts where we are. That tells a story in itself because to get to the 4th position in the final table, we would need the coaching to make us better than the sum of our parts, and that's what isn't being bridged, not even close to it.

Even if these players are arbitrarily 4/10, the coaching and management of them has been 2/10 (worse); if it had been 6/10 coaching, ten Hag gets to comfortably point the finger at his charges, but as it is, it's the other way round - this guy has nosedived the plane and done a horrendous job this season.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm not even sure winning the FA Cup would save him. Just get the feeling that his time is up regardless of results. Performances haven't been anywhere near good enough.

Rolaholic

First real 3 horse title race in a long time and we're a complete and utter non-factor and are very likely not going to come close to a CL spot to boot...

17 losses in a season, by early April, for the first time since the Reagan administration, crashed out of Europe in last place from the group. Not even mediocre enough to drop down to Europa football.

Coming off of last season, all of that is an abject failure by any and all objective standards, expectations and metrics.

Lower table sides love having a go at us and feel confident they'll win points off of us more often than not. Big sides adore playing us as well as they're going to get loads of chances and will cut us up with ease the majority of the time. Our defensive record is squarely amongst the relegation zone sides.

The injury crisis after crisis brings up much more question than answers in regards to what exactly is going on in training and whether we have competent people in the physio department at the club. It's been insane truly.

I was a supporter of his at the start of the season but given how things have played out and how he's handled things, I'm 100% off of his wagon and more than ready to see the INEOS era begin fresh with a new face on the touchline.

Eddy_JukeZ

He should stay, there aren't many options out there anyways. We have an important FA cup tie coming up and he should get reassurances from the club so he can work in peace.

12 months left, give him the time and let the club with our new sporting people get time to settle and work out our way forward. Our sporting director and technical director hasn't started yet, would be foolish to do such a big change before they even arrive. They need to be involved in the process forward
This has to be a WUM at this point.

We have conceded the most shots in the league in 2024.

The new people on the board can't coach for him.

And there are plenty of options. At this point, there's maybe 15 managers in this league alone who'd do a better job than ETH has done this season.

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm not even sure winning the FA Cup would save him. Just get the feeling that his time is up regardless of results. Performances haven't been anywhere near good enough.
If it didn't save Van Gaal, it shouldn't save ETH.

Our performances this season are far worse than they were then.

lilcurt

Crazy talk, what has he done to warrant staying? How long do we waste on him?

UDontMessWith24

Both can be true, but it isn't in this case because his instructions are being followed and executed, even to the detriment of the players and their health - no matter what, they come out again and again chugging away aimlessly following a plan that's doomed to fail from the outset, or at least one that ensures another horrible day at the office win, lose or draw (we never look good or comfortable, even in the vast majority of wins).

These players need culling and that's not something I refute, but there is a scale of a relativity to the league, and the only reason why we top the table for shots conceded and aren't one of the relegation teams in that company is because of the relative quality of our players - but relativity has top end, too, and that's where no matter how much effort we play with, without superior coaching and tactics, the sum of these particular parts is around abouts where we are. That tells a story in itself because to get to the 4th position in the final table, we would need the coaching to make us better than the sum of our parts, and that's what isn't being bridged, not even close to it.

Even if these players are arbitrarily 4/10, the coaching and management of them has been 2/10 (worse); if it had been 6/10 coaching, ten Hag gets to comfortably point the finger at his charges, but as it is, it's the other way round - this guy has nosedived the plane and done a horrendous job this season.
Look at Garnacho on their first goal. Look at Palmer strolling into the box for the last goal as the entire side just stare at him. Look at the ball Mainoo tried to play that led to the second penalty when we had them chasing shadows. Those aren’t the instructions. You’ll be in the next manager thread frothing out the mouth guaranteed unless the structural changes at the top of the club do what they’re supposed to do.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
But how many managers do we need to fail under before you accept the problem is deeper than just one individual? It can be both. I don't think he's the right manager and I don't think a lot of these players have the right mentality. Both can be true.
Literally nobody here thinks that the manager is the only problem at the club.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Do you think his instructions were being followed in the 98th minute when we were winning 3-2?

Surely that's on the players to see that at out? That's kids level stuff. Just run the ball to the corner and waste some time.

I think we can get a better coach but I also think that some of this lot would just give up if Mohammed I'm hard Ali was in charge as well. They just don't care and/or are uniquely thick. Sick of watching them now. They bore me.

Eddy_JukeZ

Look at Garnacho on their first goal. Look at Palmer strolling into the box for the last goal as the entire side just stare at him. Look at the ball Mainoo tried to play that led to the second penalty when we had them chasing shadows. Those aren’t the instructions. You’ll be in the next manager thread frothing out the mouth guaranteed unless the structural changes at the top of the club do what they’re supposed to do.
Sack the manager?

Do you think a new board is going to suddenly raise ETH's coaching? They're not going to give him any input on his coaching.

Did you praise ETH last season when we won the league cup and finished 3rd?

Eddy_JukeZ

Do you think his instructions were being followed in the 98th minute when we were winning 3-2?

Surely that's on the players to see that at out? That's kids level stuff. Just run the ball to the corner and waste some time.

I think we can get a better coach but I also think that some of this lot would just give up if Mohammed I'm hard Ali was in charge as well. They just don't care and/or are uniquely thick. Sick of watching them now. They bore me.
Why isn't it both? The manager has failed all season at setting up a side that restricts an opponent from creating chances. We conceded late vs Brentford too.

We've conceded the most shots in the league in 2024. You think our players are that bad?

r0663664

Worships Man City

Seriously, United is a laughing stock because of his tactics and his spending. Let him work in peace for the next 12 months is your though? He used 2 transfer windows where he splurge on players that did not improve the team and you are asking for more patience with this hot mess. Wow!

UDontMessWith24

I don’t think that’s possible anymore. The intangibles aspects of this club which were once the envy of the footballing world have been rotted to the core. At this point you need change just for the sake of it to put as much of what has been touched by that rot in the rear view mirror

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Why isn't it both? The manager has failed all season at setting up a side that restricts an opponent from creating chances. We conceded late vs Brentford too.

We've conceded the most shots in the league in 2024. You think our players are that bad?
Oh Christ. I shouldn't have come in here should I. Read my posts. I think the manager is rubbish and the players are wasters. I can't be any clearer on this.

Heinzesight

I thought the 5-0 defeat to Liverpool under Ole at OT was rock bottom. I was wrong.

The 7-0, tonight against Chelsea and all those other embarassing defeats this season domestically and in Europe are significantly worse.

I genuinely think the players like him but based on these humiliating defeats, he surely can’t command much respect any more. It’s really sad as I thought we had something with him until very recently…but to be carbon copying our set up from the Wolves game first match of the season, making the same mistakes every game, the cut back goals, etc is crazy and I just don’t understand why none of it has been remedied. An u10 coach would adapt if the same thing happened every Saturday morning.

Would love to see him at a settled United but I don’t think we will have the chance. A lot of it is his own doing but you also have to take into account the behind the scenes stuff, the ownership issues and the injuries. Just a matter of time until he’s binned off.

Stig

With FFP what net spend, approximately, will we be allowed in the summer ?

I'm assuming we will need 3 or 4 transfer windows to change this squad out

El Zoido

It’s both. We should’ve seen this game out since we were winning deep in to injury time, but winning it would have been more papering over the cracks. We had no control over this game, it wasn’t a good performance and it’s impossible to build success playing like this every week.

Jezpeza

We’re lost, most of the dressing room will know he’s probably dead man walking and the mentality of this lot is they just want their summer holidays, some like Rashford doesn’t even want to play in the Euros and more importantly don’t deserve to, Both Cole Palmer and Antony Gordon should be in the 23/26 man squad over Rashford.
I’ve already vowed if Rashford is in the starting 11 on group stage game 1 i’m not bothering to watch us at the Euros

Irwin99

I’m not talking about their perceived quality.

The post I quoted said “these players can’t keep getting away with it, season after season.” I just want to know which players they’re referring to because I keep seeing these “this team/these players have sacrificed one too many managers” posts and it’s a considerably different team to the one even the last manager had, so I’m quite confused
I mean it's different but is it that different? I've looked at all our defeats in the league this season and the majority have featured 5 or more starters from previous managers that have been at the club for 5+ years. Today was one of the games that only featured 4 of those starting players that have been here for 5 years or more (and two more who came off the bench). Here's the list if you're interested- the number of those starters and the subs in our defeats:

• Spurs 4 (2)
  • Arsenal 6 (1)
  • Brighton 5 (2)
  • Crystal Palace 4 (2)
  • Man City 6 (1)
  • Newcastle 8 (0)
  • Bournemouth 6 (1)
  • West Ham 4 (1)
  • Nottingham Forest 4 (1)
  • Fulham 5 (1)
  • Man City 5 (0)
  • Chelsea 4 (2)
To say it's a considerably different team is not entirely true looking at the data.

I'm 100% on board with anyone saying they've had enough of this manager and i'm tired of this chaotic football but when you've got half a team of players that have been consistent failures in terms of title challenges and rebuilds down the years, it's frustrating. My biggest fear is that the cycle continues in the summer when we get a new manager in, keep most of the players and expect drastically different results.

Jezpeza

Literally nobody here thinks that the manager is the only problem at the club.
some here struggle with the idea you can have shit players, shit owners, shit structure and a shit manager all at once, as if it can only be one item off the list

AshRK

Surely he cannot stay beyond this season. He may be a good coach but he is a poor man manager.

You have a kid on the bench who probably is on a sky high after his goal against Liverpool. And instead of bringing his positivity even for 10 mins, he plays a dead tired brainless player Bruno for 90 mins.

If he is sacked at the end of the season he has to blame himself. Yes we have some spineless players but the manager himself is no good.

Eddy_JukeZ

Surely he cannot stay beyond this season. He may be a good coach but he is a poor man manager.

You have a kid on the bench who probably is on a sky high after his goal against Liverpool. And instead of bringing his positivity even for 10 mins, he plays a dead tired brainless player Bruno for 90 mins.

If he is sacked at the end of the season he has to blame himself. Yes we have some spineless players but the manager himself is no good.
Considering the resources at his disposal and the way our performances have gone this season, you could argue he's been the worst coach in the league all season.

UDontMessWith24

It is both and it’s intertwined. He’s not trying to reinvent the wheel here look how hard the three clubs at the top of the league work. They play progressively and don’t concede chances for fun. Ten Hag will get sacked because he’s seen a shite work rate all season and insisted on playing through it. Who knows if that would have made a difference, but at some point you have to be cynical even it’s just to survive the season

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Conditioning goes a long way to how we flail and splutter instead of seeing out games. I've made a thread asking if we're literally uncoachable to which the majority said no we're not, but running around like maniacs, not having any time to collect thoughts and compose is part and parcel with how we play football; it's a given we will be that fragile because it's no different to how we play the rest of the game. No control, no certainty of purpose, lots of running around and desperation, trying to get a foothold in games we are the chief culprit in making a basketball match out of. Every bit of that is rooted in coaching - if you want a semblance of control, you inject it into the team systematically and methodically.

You wouldn't see this from a LVG or Mourinho team. Their maladies were other things, but not control or composure.

I too am sick of these players and advocate a cull, but saying they're not trying is just off to me; they've give this coach far more blood, sweat and tears than anyone else ironically. Being asked to play in a system that's just terrible and still running as they do is actually commendable because 'downing tools' could have happened multiple times this and last season, but no, they plod to the next game and output as best they can, and I'm certain they'll do the same on Sunday.

ten Hag was praised last season for being better than his squad, effectively having them overperform to a degree - if they were a 5 or a 6, he was a 7 or 8, for example. This season, it's the other way around, he has done far worse than the sum of these parts should have him do whilst the players have been dogged in following instruction. I'm not saying the quality has been there from them, but the effort has. Whatever score they'd get, ten Hag's would be 2pts worse, for me. He's made so many elementary mistakes this season that his competence and credentials to even carry the project on have been put into question. That shouldn't be and wouldn't be if his coaching hadn't been shambolic this season.

AshRK

Considering the resources at his disposal and the way our performances have gone this season, you could argue he's been the worst coach in the league all season.
As a United coach he has been a shocker. So yes your point stands. I was looking overall. I think there is a decent coach in him but anyways today is definitely not the day to say that.

But my point is as a man manager he is awful.

QuietOn Fortune

Alot of his games are reminding me of Ajax Vs Spurs CL where Lucas scored a last min hattrick.

Seems like it might not be a bit of opposition luck anymore.

spiriticon

He's a terrible coach. I've not seen defending done in the Premier League this consistently bad in nearly 35 years of watching football. Even Bielsa's Leeds were marginally better.

And the best part is, he refuses to sort it out! There's some sado masochism going on here I swear. The man enjoys the pain.

UDontMessWith24

With FFP what net spend, approximately, will we be allowed in the summer ?

I'm assuming we will need 3 or 4 transfer windows to change this squad out
It’s about departures as a new manager is inevitable at this point. The approach should be similar to what Arsenal did when Arteta took over. They were shite for a bit but they but if they allowed the players that preceded him to linger like what the Glazers have done here for years, he’d be back in City’s dugout sitting next to Pep

witchtrials

I’d actually love to see Jose for the rest of the season just for the entertainment of the press conferences and him calling out the likes of Rashford for being a lazy prick. The seasons a write off anyway at this stage. Plus be nice for him to win another cup with us :nervous:
Im Joking obviously. Kinda.

Think I would actually rather we didn't win a trophy if it meant Mourinho getting one too.

Stig

At this point I would be surprised if someone is still defending ETH.

Isn't it all down to our injuries ?

I know it's not; but how much slack is he allowed because of the injuries? Zero, loads ?

MyBloodIsRed

While this loss was not on anybody, but the players. He has got to be sacked at this point.
At the end of the day, he’s in charge of the players and instilling the right mentality. The fact that they continue to switch off allows silly goals to start matches after we score and then at the end of the game like today just shows that he is, unfortunately not the right person to lead us back to glory. Was really hoping he would be the one when we hired him because it was such a smart decision. The hires we had had in the past.
Unfortunately, the lazy players that are a bunch of pre-Madonna’s that lack any type of mental fortitude have sealed his fate