Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 357 44.0%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 455 56.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

UDontMessWith24

Considering the resources at his disposal and the way our performances have gone this season, you could argue he's been the worst coach in the league all season.
If he was starting from an even position squad wise you’d be well within your rights yammer on about money til you’re blue in the face with everyone else. Money is not why he’ll get sacked. The summer he took over we lost 5-6 on a free, and moved a bit more deadwood out with sales and loan outs. His resources were the bare minimum you need to replace a third of a squad. The only money spent that was not a mistake and not in hindsight is Antony, and given what we know about the player from a mental point of view I’d have said the same thing if he was bought for 50 million.

AshRK

Isn't it all down to our injuries ?

I know it's not; but how much slack is he allowed because of the injuries? Zero, loads ?
Our issues are beyond any personal now. We could have prime modric xavi scholes in our midfield and we will still be this open because the way we are set up. And it is not one off. We have been cut apart and outplayed since gw1. This is why I feel eth has to go. Maybe he had some master plan but he should have been smart and realised that it is not working and fixed it but he chose not to.

Stig

Our issues are beyond any personal now. We could have prime modric xavi scholes in our midfield and we will still be this open because the way we are set up. And it is not one off. We have been cut apart and outplayed since gw1. This is why I feel eth has to go. Maybe he had some master plan but he should have been smart and realised that it is not working and fixed it but he chose not to.
Genuine genuine question. Why do we get cut apart? Previously it was because of Fred and McT but they aren't out midfield anymore.

AshRK

Genuine genuine question. Why do we get cut apart? Previously it was because of Fred and McT but they aren't out midfield anymore.
I don't think we were cut apart like this under any coach, including ten hag last season. I feel the squad is a poorly assembled one who are managed by a confused coach who doesn't understand the league. Eth is confused with his own players. He has some idea but he doesn't know how to execute.

Eddy_JukeZ

If he was starting from an even position squad wise you’d be well within your rights yammer on about money til you’re blue in the face with everyone else. Money is not why he’ll get sacked. The summer he took over we lost 5-6 on a free, and moved a bit more deadwood out with sales and loan outs. His resources were the bare minimum you need to replace a third of a squad. The only money spent that was not a mistake and not in hindsight is Antony, and given what we know about the player from a mental point of view I’d have said the same thing if he was bought for 50 million.
I truly don't know what you're even trying to say to be honest.

I never said money is why he'll get sacked. His coaching performances have been abysmal and I think you can easily argue he's been the worst coach in the league considering the squad he has compared to other coaches performing badly.

AshRK

I never said money is why he'll get sacked. His coaching performances have been abysmal and I think you can easily argue he's been the worst coach in the league considering the squad he has compared to other coaches performing badly.
Funny enough Pochettino was giving good competition to him to take the worst coach award. Don't know how happy chelsea fans should be with that win as that might have saved his job.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
We weren't getting cut apart with Fred and MCT under Ole, as they were a double pivot that never went forward but just sat in front of our defence, creating a back 6 which played awful defensive counter football.
Now with ETH we play with no midfield, just everybody pressing up high to counter.
I don't know which of the two is worse

Eddy_JukeZ

Funny enough Pochettino was giving good competition to him to take the worst coach award. Don't know how happy chelsea fans should be with that win as that might have saved his job.
Chelsea have been awful too, but their underlying metrics are actually a good amount better than ours. Plus, we have a better squad than them. We did finish 3rd last season. They were mid-table last season.

We've conceded the most shots in the league in 2024. About 80 ~ more than Chelsea have.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
I didnt watch cause it played at 3am here but just watched the highlight and what the flying feck ??? This man cant hold a lead if the world's fate depends on it. And this is not an isolated incident. He cant coach defense for shit. Sack asap

Jezpeza

Because we set up with a front 6 doing a half arsed attempt at a high press whilst our centre halves are usually Maguire, Evans and Lindelof who are all slow or
Varane who cant run anymore without getting injured.

Because they and ETH know they are slow they drop off which creates a chasm between the back 4 and front 6 for the opposing team to run into all match long.

What baffles me is that its almost like we are deliberately losing games because the set up is literally suicidal.

spwd

You certainly don’t engage with positivity when trying to antagonise when we score instead of just enjoying the goals for what they are.

we all want United to win that’s obvious, it’s just funny to see you get so worked up after trying to antagonise just minutes before
Exactly. Such a hypocrite.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It’s mostly his squad. We can’t keep blaming the players season after season. Why don’t we admit we’ve fecked up with our management choices since fergie, and had a rotten structure to compound it
All three of those things can be true at once. The problems go far deeper than can be fixed by swapping managers every 2 years.

UDontMessWith24

Because defending in progressive systems takes work rate, discipline and cohesion. Counter pressing is not the only factor but it’s a major reason Liverpool or City play attacking football and don’t give up chances for fun. We’re not set up to be wide open that’s complete bollocks. Ten Hag’s fault in this is that he didn’t do anything to adjust, especially with the defensive injuries. If you’re counter pressing or pressing when the opposition is playing out from the back, all it takes is 1 or 2 players not being in position and you’re fecked. I wish I was having a laugh when I say this but if he should have at some point earlier in the season said feck it we need to Southgate the rest of the season and regroup in the summer. The players could have had no complaints either even though I’m sure they would.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Yeah exactly my point. Win that game and it’s not really because we were good or that he set us up well. All our games are 50/50 at best, we’ve had maybe 4 league games where we genuinely deserved to win, even when facing poor teams we still largely leave it up to luck. We have way more points than we should but it is slowly regressing back to the mean anyway.
I will chalk you down as a turned around Erik ten hag supporter. Thank you.

For my other fellow Manchester United fans: this was indeed a glorious and fantastic game. One that showcased why exactly Erik ten Hag really is The Chosen One. Just look how majesticaly Antony redeemed himself and gave an assist you can dream about for weeks, months.

No, sorry, joking aside, this was just a very, very well coached game. Mainoo, Casemiro, Bruno (who else) letting down time and again but Erik ten Hag tactics got this back from the dead. Back from 2 goals down. With 10 seconds to go we was winning this very important match. Even with another 2 defenders being injured.

I really think the biggest problem is Bruno. The 2nd biggest problem is no decent DM. The lack of decent Cb's is down to injuries but we definitly need a new CB this summer.

Me, I'm proud Manchester United supporter. We had a one billion Chelsea and their priced manager having brown underwear for most of the game. Palmer is just a fantastic talent who made the difference. You can say we need Jose and Rashford really should have learned from Mourinho how to be a nice centre back but at this moment we are just not equiped. The squad is top 6 at best in this current high flying league.

@Sarni and @hobbers thank you for finally tunring around and backing our manager, seeing the light. Erik ten Hag is our future. Tonights game was one of the best. Shame we didn't win but with ole, Jose, LvG, we would have gone down 7 nil.

Melville Red

With regards to the last couple of matches ETH game management is appalling. Tonight why in gods name put on the laziest player since Martial, ie Rashford?
I really hoped ETH would be the answer but I’m losing faith fast and if by some miracle we win The FA Cup thrn I’d be happy to see him stay but in all honesty I can’t see us doing that and I’m sorry to say with our appalling GD as well as everything else he has to go, this has been a terrible season with no clear indication of how we are supposed to play and team work especially at the back is non existent.

m1tch

Yeah exactly my point. Win that game and it’s not really because we were good or that he set us up well. All our games are 50/50 at best, we’ve had maybe 4 league games where we genuinely deserved to win, even when facing poor teams we still largely leave it up to luck. We have way more points than we should but it is slowly regressing back to the mean anyway.
This is bang on. In our better performances the games could go either way. Somehow we looked set for 6 points from the last two games, but we have only 1. Getting the 6, whilst great, would just further inflate us above our true level with average luck.

hobbers

For my other fellow Manchester United fans: this was indeed a glorious and fantastic game. One that showcased why exactly Erik ten Hag really is The Chosen One. Just look how majesticaly Antony redeemed himself and gave an assist you can dream about for weeks, months.

No, sorry, joking aside, this was just a very, very well coached game. Mainoo, Casemiro, Bruno (who else) letting down time and again but Erik ten Hag tactics got this back from the dead. Back from 2 goals down. With 10 seconds to go we was winning this very important match. Even with another 2 defenders being injured.

I really think the biggest problem is Bruno. The 2nd biggest problem is no decent DM. The lack of decent Cb's is down to injuries but we definitly need a new CB this summer.

Me, I'm proud Manchester United supporter. We had a one billion Chelsea and their priced manager having brown underwear for most of the game. Palmer is just a fantastic talent who made the difference. You can say we need Jose and Rashford really should have learned from Mourinho how to be a nice centre back but at this moment we are just not equiped. The squad is top 6 at best in this current high flying league.

@Sarni and @hobbers thank you for finally tunring around and backing our manager, seeing the light. Erik ten Hag is our future. Tonights game was one of the best. Shame we didn't win but with ole, Jose, LvG, we would have gone down 7 nil.
At least you've shown your true colours now.

UDontMessWith24

The difference between us is I can admit he needs to be sacked without the mindless hyperbole. I’ll try to simplify it though, the “resources he had at his disposal” makes it sound like he has was allowed to put together the second coming of the galacticos. The “resources at his disposal” are simply what it takes to rebuild a squad at a big club.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Troll or scouser?

Eddy_JukeZ

The difference between us is I can admit he needs to be sacked without the mindless hyperbole. I’ll try to simplify it though, the “resources he had at his disposal” makes it sound like he has was allowed to put together the second coming of the galacticos. The “resources at his disposal” are simply what it takes to rebuild a squad at a big club.
It's not mindless hyperbole to suggest he's been the worst coach in the league this season with the squad he has. 'Resources at disposal' was about the squad he has compared to the relegation fodder teams.

We've conceded the most shots in the league in 2024. Do you think our squad is relegation quality?

UDontMessWith24

This is bang on. In our better performances the games could go either way. Somehow we looked set for 6 points from the last two games, but we have only 1. Getting the 6, whilst great, would just further inflate us above our true level with average luck.
Here’s some solid in depth analysis. Everything that goes wrong is the manager and everything that goes right is luck :lol:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I don’t think @BenitoSTARR is a hypocrite or antagonistic. His posts are always well thought out, balanced and I agree with much of what he writes.
Just because you don’t like/agree with him doesn’t necessarily mean the problem is him.
Of course he is both of those things. We go ahead in a tactical abomination of a game, where both teams are wide open and the game is end to end, and he comes to this thread acting like it was some sort of masterclass from ETH. The problem is that these games are showing that even when the tactics are shite, the players are coming up with the goods to drag us along, kind of killing the idea that it's all the players fault.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Here’s some solid in depth analysis. Everything that goes wrong is the manager and everything that goes right is luck :lol:
He's saying that the way we play is largely based on luck as every game is at best, a shoot out with 20 shots each, at worst we get battered. So while we may fluke some games, or variance goes our way some times, we almost never actually just outplay an opponent and have a performance where the result is basically calmly deserved with little risk. Not even against league 2 opposition. So yes, that's the managers fault.

Jezpeza

to be honest in this instance our setup is so shit and performances so bad every week it is luck whenever we get anything out of a game. We are easy enough to play against and conceding enough shots that we should really be getting banged by a 3 or 4 goal margin every game. The point at brentford was totally by luck we should have had 4 or 5 put past us

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
This. I rather we had the draw vs Brentford and lose today instead of wins because at least we can truly see how flawed this team and his tactics are instead of eeking out lucky wins and giving fans/board false hope. Im so apathetic and literally at this stage now. He needs to go sooner or later.

What a pathetic statement. You think playing end to end like basketball and setting up your defense like a gloryhole makes us win games ? How bout conceding 20 plus shots EVERY game ? Have you seen our GD now? If anything we are lucky to be as high in the table. See our xPts.

Asger

:lol::lol::lol:

Jezpeza

This. I rather we had the draw and lose today instead of wins because at least we can truly see how flawed this team and his tactics are instead of eeking out lucky wins and giving fans/board false hope. Im so apathetic and literally at this stage now. He needs to go sooner or later
thats what is so worrying - expected points has us 13th in the league we’ve actually achieved a lot more than we deserve so far and if these performances continue we will slide towards that position

UDontMessWith24

It's not mindless hyperbole to suggest he's been the worst coach in the league this season with the squad he has. 'Resources at disposal' was about the squad he has compared to the relegation fodder teams.

We've conceded the most shots in the league in 2024. Do you think our squad is relegation quality?
Why aren’t we battling for relegation then?This wonderful squad at his disposal was a work in progress without the injuries. I have nothing but respect for Harry Maguire, but he’s not even a third choice center back for the teams who’s level we’re trying to reach, and there are still other players in that category because you can’t clear out 2/3 of your squad in two summer windows, and you sure as feck can’t sell anyone in the winter window when you can’t replace them. We have what 3-4 times as many players the manager didn’t buy or promote as City, Arsenal and Liverpool do combined. If we don’t go about player departures more aggressively for the next manager this summer nothing will change

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
thats what is so worrying - expected points has us 13th in the league we’ve actually achieved a lot more than we deserve so far and if these performances continue we will slide towards that position
If there is a moment to use the phrase no shit sherlock this is it. We are one of the teams that conceded the most shot in the league and let opponents have touches in the box. We are winning DESPITE of him and his shit ass tactics in my opinion. Also didnt pass the eye test either since every game devolves into end to end affair. No wonder our players got injured so much

Eddy_JukeZ

Why aren’t we battling for relegation then?This wonderful squad at his disposal was a work in progress without the injuries. I have nothing but respect for Harry Maguire, but he’s not even a third choice center back for the teams who’s level we’re trying to reach, and there are still other players in that category because you can’t clear out 2/3 of your squad in two summer windows, and you sure as feck can’t sell anyone in the winter window when you can’t replace them. We have what 3-4 times as many players the manager didn’t buy or promote as City, Arsenal and Liverpool do combined. If we don’t go about player departures more aggressively for the next manager this summer nothing will change
Because our squad isn't relegation quality?

I also never said we have a wonderful squad. I said our squad is miles better than the relegation fodder teams(which it is) and yet we've conceded the most shots in the league in 2024.

As for the 2nd bolded: This sounds like extremely heavy conjecture.

UDontMessWith24

This. I rather we had the draw vs Brentford and lose today instead of wins because at least we can truly see how flawed this team and his tactics are instead of eeking out lucky wins and giving fans/board false hope. Im so apathetic and literally at this stage now. He needs to go sooner or later.

What a pathetic statement. You think playing end to end like basketball and setting up your defense like a gloryhole makes us win games ? How bout conceding 20 plus shots EVERY game ? Have you seen our GD now? If anything we are lucky to be as high in the table. See our xPts.
So luck is the sole reason we’re not 10 places lower in the table? Mind you I’ve not once said we had a good season, but what you’re basically saying is if there was no “luck” we’d be in 14th place, which is a steaming pile of cringeworthy bulls***t

UDontMessWith24

Because our squad isn't relegation quality?

I also never said we have a wonderful squad. I said our squad is miles better than the relegation fodder teams(which it is) and yet we've conceded the most shots in the league in 2024.

As for the 2nd bolded: This sounds like extremely heavy conjecture.
Very good. We do have a better squad than relegation fodder but by that standard we’re not underachieving are we? We are underachieving btw but I’m not sure what the point of comparing our squad to relegation teams is or saying our squad isn’t relegation quality. Great! We’re not getting relegated.

RedStarUnited

Very worrying. To put in context what this looks like compared to the rest of the PL
The Spurs one is Ironic because most people seem to think they play an open offensive game. Yet simply because they keep the ball better than us they are able to face a lot less shots.

The worst part about our shot facing numbers is that we are not as good in attack. It would be acceptable to let so many shots in if we ourselves were generating chances galore frequently.

Stig

If Sir Jim fired ETH in the morning and appointed a committee of Bruno, Casemiro and Harry to run the team until the end of the season , how do you think that would work out ?

Eddy_JukeZ

Very good. We do have a better squad than relegation fodder but by that standard we’re not underachieving are we? We are underachieving btw but I’m not sure what the point of comparing our squad to relegation teams is or saying our squad isn’t relegation quality. Great! We’re not getting relegated.
It's for your retort that it's mindless hyperbole to suggest he's been the worst coach in the league.

I brought up us conceding the most shots in the league in 2024(only part of the argument I'd use too) and that we're worse off than relegation fodder teams.

That was the point.

In Rainbows

Via Squad quality, United are not underachieving in results if you truly believe United have a worse squad than Villa
Via Squad quality, United are underachieving in general performances

If you only factor in the process of general performances leading to results, United are over overachieving because the general performances are awful. But this just shows that United are overachieving, not thanks to Ten Hag's quality. In other words, he's at fault for where United are.

Judging the squad can be difficult to separate from results because the results inform fan opinion on the squad. Same with manager tactics influencing the squad's performances and results.

Last edited: