Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 398 46.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 462 53.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

SteveCoppellFan

If we lose to Liverpool and Villa / Spurs win this weekend then our season will tail off badly.

The players lack motivation when there are things to play for so how are they going to perform when there is nothing to play for ?

I like ETH but he is in a no win situation here.

I still blame the players more than I blame him though, that will not change.

Telsim

I would have said this loss was more down to bad luck than anything else. However, in his brand of... football luck counts for way too much. When you are facing 15 shots, 20 shots, 30 shots game after game, eventually you rely mostly on luck to see you through. And we have been lucky. It also contributes to injuries when your team is playing basketball, but on a pitch-sized court. Simply unsustainable in every aspect. He needs to go solely based on his shit football. And boy, is it shit! Oleball Lite, now without any midfield. It is also unbecoming of a top team. If that is what we are aiming to be, of course.

I bear him no ill will, and I feel kind of bad for him. Well, as bad as I can feel for a man who is about to make millions getting fired. I think he tried his best, just simply out of his depth. But he also had no help from inside the club and the squad is of very poor quality. Old, feeble, indolent, technically deficient, mentally weak. However, he participated heavily in building that squad as well. After so much money and time to be this awful is just not acceptable. He should have known before accepting the job that in this club he would stand alone, and thus he alone would be held accountable for failure, while the people above him scurry back into their holes until the next fool walks in. I have to say, though, I’m curious to see where he goes from here.

I wonder if Ratcliffe liked what saw? If he is serious, he will be on the call yesterday getting a proper possession coach and putting an end to counterattacking football once and for all, in addition to all the other changes. Also clear out the squad of players who can’t play anything else. If not… well, Conference League will be our main competition soon enough.

soapythecat

It looks like he is staying and what’s worrying is that he thinks we play some good football. Does anyone else see this good football? It’s a ridiculous take that just highlights how low his level and what he expects. If this is good football then we are screwed. Can’t stand the bloke - he’s proper delusional.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Today I feel reflecting over last nights game a bit different than the euforic state I was in yesterday. I have been defending ETH for quite some time but what if I am wrong? What if my good friends @Sarni and @hobbers are right and we need to shift the manager asap?

On the one hand we almost did win against city, against this one billion Chelsea bad as they are (they really are bad). I also like that we have a awful lot of high turnovers and actually managed to get some grip on the midfield. We started well and should be up a goal the first minute. I also see that with a constant changing or players there are no routines. Yesterday Mainoo, AWB and Dalot had a lot of misunderstandings. It looks very messy. I also think that while ETH brought in some new players, the core of Rashford, Bruno, AWB, Maguire is still there and still playing, starting.

But the other hand that messy setup could be set up better. If rotation is the key then Bruno should sit one out too. I just cannot stand to watch another game with Bruno messing up play time and again, aiding into an already nervous midfield. Reaching for his head and yelling: ooohh for the umpteenth time. I think I will skip a few games and check the results, see where it goes. But if ETH persists with Bruno, I am looking at the ETH out camp for sure. Even if he is not the root source, ETH should show no man is big enough and he needs to show a few games without the chaos, even if that means less crazy attacking.

edit: I just watched the post match interview and it is striking how he talks how the team, the players make the wrong decisions. They should know how to calm down, to stop making long passes in extra time. Look for easy solutions. So he does know what goes wrong. Is it really a matter of the player quality, that they just cannot be coached any higher than this, or is ETH himself at fault? I'm on the fence on that one. He did also point out that Casemiro als had to go off injured and without him and Evans, there was no experience to drag this win over the line. That in itself must be very damning for Bruno, even if he too, did a good analyse how the penalty and the Chelsea winner never should have happened. But it did. They talk the talk but now they have to walk the walk just to keep P6.

Last edited:

laughtersassassin

Madness he wasn't sacked this morning. As I've said before just do a Bayern. Announce he is sacked but will see out the season.

Castia

I don’t believe that. They’ve said on more than one occasion that a style of football and way of playing is top of the agenda and they can’t be impressed with the shit he’s served up for almost 2 seasons now

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It looks like he is staying and what’s worrying is that he thinks we play some good football. Does anyone else see this good football? It’s a ridiculous take that just highlights how low his level and what he expects. If this is good football then we are screwed. Can’t stand the bloke - he’s proper delusional.
Nope. It's shocking.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I like the idea of him being "demoted" to head coach but I don't like the way things have been framed lately, he clearly stated that he demanded a pretty high level of control which includes control over transfers. I'm fine with a change of mind but he wanted to be way more than a head coach and got it.

RuudTom83

Part of me thinks play Rashford/Caemiro/Bruno again at the weekend. Watch them fail again. Make changes afterwards.

Give Mount/Amad a few of the games coming up... Bournemouth, Coventry, Sheffield and Burnley look a lot easier than Liverpool.

Playing Amad against Liverpool is almost like playing Pellistri against Bayern away, its more of a punishment than a reward.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Goldbridge said that INEOS are officially talking to Southgate behind the scenes from “top sources”. He said he guarantees we approach him officially soon. Hope he’s wrong.

Rolaholic

Under Ten Hag, United have played 24 games away from home against the teams who finished in the top 14 of the PL last season.

P24 W5 D5 L14

The 5 wins: Fulham twice, Wolves twice and Villa. All by a single goal, all bar Wolves last season, needed late 86+ min winners...

Some miracle thatvwe're even in 6th place with the way we've played

Al-T

I've no faith in ten Hag, but I despair if they are genuinely thinking of replacing him with Southgate.

Shinjch

Southgate just can't be the answer. There is no way he will be given a long enough leash by the supporters once things hit a rocky period.

Melville Red

Can any one remember when we had such a poor GD at this stage of a season?
I honestly think that’s reason enough to now get rid, I’m fed up of ETH talking up a game after we have lost or drawn blaming individual mistakes but praising the team, it is down to the coaching to eradicate these mistakes and the coaching is clearly not working.

Ronaldo's Love Child

which kind of brings me to another thing that bugs me, ETH insists on playing a left footed right winger and a right footed left winger, when you see how effective crosses can be especially when you have quick players on the break it boggles my mind that we have players who cannot naturally cross from the position they are in (I am missing Beckham still), who either have to cut in or run right around the back
Totally agree with your point but when I brought it up a few weeks ago everyone piled in and used Moyes' Fulham game where we crossed the ball 1000 times ! :D

I'm with you though. Crosses instil panic in the opposition. Sick of seeing Antony beat his man on the wing and then slam the brakes on to cut inside or pass inside.

Robertd0803

Demoting him to a head coach role still doesnt solve the fundamental problems of us being utterly shit at the absolute basics which is partly down to............coaching.

Nothing this season/even last season after the Carabao Cup win has indicated that we are likely to improve on this any time soon.

Melville Red

Southgate just can't be the answer. There is no way he will be given a long enough leash by the supporters once things hit a rocky period.
Supporters don’t have a say, yes we can boo the manager chant out out but the power lies within the boardroom not on the terraces, that’s why the Glazers are still here, fan power is non existent.

Nickelodeon

If he were to leave, his over-reliance on Bruno is what will be his downfall. If there could be a compilation made for Bruno specifically when we're holding a narrow lead in stoppage team, it would be the ultimate hall of shame. We need a cleanse of the squad so we have fitter players, DMs who can run all game, alternate striker on the bench who can hold up play and CBs who can play a high line. Though it seems like he's run out of time and options to do anything further. The infuriating secrecy about all injury related stuff is just another mild annoyance to a variety of issues.

Despite all of that, I want Ten Hag to stay. There. I said it. Kill me people of RedCafe.

And the only reason for that is that we need one statement summer, where we say that this time it's the players. Even if we sack Ten Hag midway of next season, this summer should be reserved for a clear out for the ones who have let him down the most on the pitch. And unless we do that, we can very well go into next season, having these rats suddenly discovering pressing energy within themselves and playing with 'a smile on their face' under a new manager only to throw him under the bus soon after. The culture of non-performance will not change with the manager, it has to be done with a strong statement towards the players.

Shinjch

Supporters don’t have a say, yes we can boo the manager chant out out but the power lies within the boardroom not on the terraces, that’s why the Glazers are still here, fan power is non existent.
The toxicity that can come from a fanbase can lead to an impact on the pitch or the general environment at the club, especially with social media now. Southgate would not lift spirits in that regard, I don't see the supporter base getting behind him for the overhaul required.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The squad is a shambles and I don't blame that on Erik. However there's a lot of things that falls right on his laps. For example why he insist on gruesome training that is literally decimating the squad? Why on earth is he not drilling the squad against cutback goals? Why can't we defend a lead?

Irrespective of whether Erik stays or goes its evident that the manager's role is an obsolete concept that needs to end. We spent too much money on teacher's pets, our fitness and tactical departments are a shambles and so many players keep surviving the manager despite being dog shit. We need to create a distance between the true decision makers and the players thus reducing player power.

The more time passes the more I am comfortable of having Mckenna back as our head coach. The guy has shown great tactical brilliance with Ipswich often switching tactics to accommodate different scenarios. His main tactic fits united like a glove. He knows the EPL well. We won't have to wait till July to get our manager at the premises (unlike someone like Nagelsmann), he speaks English as a first language (unlike Inzaghi) and he knows United inside out having been here since Mourinho's time. Mckenna knows exactly the players that tend to backstab the manager and if properly supported then he will cut through the bullshit and he'll push for the necessary changes.
Thats not a bad shout honestly. A proper clear out of the biggest troublemakers and McKenna to coach them and i am confident we will do a lot better

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Demoting him to a head coach role still doesnt solve the fundamental problems of us being utterly shit at the absolute basics which is partly down to............coaching.

Nothing this season/even last season after the Carabao Cup win has indicated that we are likely to improve on this any time soon.
It can because we know that when he has no other option and is told that he has no other option, he can coach a team correctly. That's what he has done previously and he has done it following very different philosophies. I genuinely believe that one of the biggest issue here is a head coach who has been given too much leeway and can't control himself for the betterment of his club and players. That's why the vast majority of sport entities do not follow a manager model, that kind of model require someone that has the awareness and humility to evaluate himself and his context at all time, most people are too proud to do that.

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
If he were to leave, his over-reliance on Bruno is what will be his downfall. If there could be a compilation made for Bruno specifically when we're holding a narrow lead in stoppage team, it would be the ultimate hall of shame. We need a cleanse of the squad so we have fitter players, DMs who can run all game, alternate striker on the bench who can hold up play and CBs who can play a high line. Though it seems like he's run out of time and options to do anything further. The infuriating secrecy about all injury related stuff is just another mild annoyance to a variety of issues.

Despite all of that, I want Ten Hag to stay. There. I said it. Kill me people of RedCafe.

And the only reason for that is that we need one statement summer, where we say that this time it's the players. Even if we sack Ten Hag midway of next season, this summer should be reserved for a clear out for the ones who have let him down the most on the pitch. And unless we do that, we can very well go into next season, having these rats suddenly discovering pressing energy within themselves and playing with 'a smile on their face' under a new manager only to throw him under the bus soon after. The culture of non-performance will not change with the manager, it has to be done with a strong statement towards the players.
Look mate I disagree with you but I’m more than happy for you to continue living

NLunited

The two penalties were very soft with the lightest of contact ( I think both times the players fall over on purpose ) and the 8 minutes extra time was way too much.

Regardless, we should not get in those situations the last two goals came from, by not giving away the ball and the players need to follow the instructions for defending set pieces. We keep doing dumb shiit like that.

A real shame, we were winning the game with a good performance from Antony, I‘m gutted.

Robbie Boy

It's about the right time to start giving Huddlestone some minutes. I think he can help with these crazy 'shots against' stats.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I have no idea why we aren't in talks with Nagelsmann. Perfect opportunity for the summer.
Especially when the alternative appears to be Gareth fecking Southgate, who we would also need to wait until after the euros for.

If it’s Ten Hag or Southgate, give the Dutchman a 10 year deal.

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

What players

croadyman

Especially when the alternative appears to be Gareth fecking Southgate, who we would also need to wait until the euros for.

If it’s Ten Hag or Southgate, give the Dutchman a 10 year deal.
I want Erik out but when the alternative is that well we might as well not have a manager at all

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Listening to the podcast, the fuller context is that while they'd like to given all the other changes going on, results and performances before the end of the season will dictate what happens. I wouldn't really expect to hear anything else until the decision is made to pull the trigger (pretty sure we heard similar a month prior to every other sacking).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I feel like I’m some sort of alternate universe where only I’m seeing the results, the football on the pitch, and the general performance and (negative) records being endlessly broken. That’s the only way my mind can comprehend any idea of retaining this manager