Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 474 50.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 469 49.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Blood Mage

Maybe he could turn things around with the right structure and the right profile of players. But is it worth risking another season like this one? No it isn't. Manchester United should not be tolerating seasons like the one we've just had.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Patiently waiting for INEOS to issue a statement of public support. He'll be gone shortly after.

Irwin99

Maybe he could turn things around with the right structure and the right profile of players. But is it worth risking another season like this one? No it isn't. Manchester United should not be tolerating seasons like the one we've just had.
It might not be like that next season, though I get where you're coming from.

EtH seems upbeat in the interviews and I imagine his work with Garnacho, Mainoo, Hojlund, Dalot etc. is the one thing the owners will look at positively. You can say that a new manager would work with them all the same but it doesn't always work out like that, e.g., was pretty obvious Jose took an instant dislike to Martial and Blind who were good performers the year before he took over.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I remember my dad saying it was a personal matter.
But we had a conservative board then.
The Doc also had to deal with the Best situation.
He did a very good job and certainly would have won us the title.
Personal matter or a conservative board aside, if you're shagging the wife of one of your subordinates you're not keeping your job

Malons

It's not just the football that's bad it's the fact I don't think he knows why it's bad. As dreadful as we've been when was the last time a player lost his place for a run of games due to being abject on the pitch. When was the last time he made a substitution that wasn't either necessitated by injury or part of a pre-planned arrangement to give someone minutes, but instead in response to how someone is playing. Who was the last person hauled off for not putting in a shift?

He's shown he can be a disciplinarian when it comes to off-field matters. On the pitch? I don't know if he has the balls/confidence/whatever you call it, to confront players about their on-field performances. The cycle of players being dreadful each match and constantly be the first name on the team sheet for the next game is troubling. And baffling as it's clearly doing him and his prospects of staying in work, any favours whatsoever.

lex talionis

Concerns about ETH are warranted but I'm not sure we have any better options this summer. Southgate and Potter would be a downgrade.

tjb

Concerns about ETH are warranted but I'm not sure we have any better options this summer. Southgate and Potter would be a downgrade.
For any position, any role, whether player or manager, fans always seem to use this argument and it never makes sense. It's the job of the club to identify a manager who has the potential style and skillset to be in charge.

A few years ago, this argument was made concerning CB's and DM's. Yet in the same period of time, City were able to snag Dias and Rodri. Liverpool were able to snag Virgil Van Dijk. It's the same thing with managers.

There are a lot of good managers out there. From Valverde to Motta to Inzaghi to even established names like Tuchel and Nagelsmann. It just seems pretty defeatist to accept a manager that clearly doesn't have the skillset to drive us forward. Most top managers aren't publicly identified as top managers until they take on a job popular enough to get them attention. Steve Kerr and Phil Jackson weren't head coaches before they got their jobs in the NBA. Capello, Wenger, Sacchi, Pep, Flick, Zidane etc weren't even names before they began their period of success. It's understandable for fans to think this way, but if the club ever get in that line of thinking, we will never get anywhere.

NLunited

Still never answered the question.

For Xavi “didn’t do better than Koeman,”well, he did. He won La Liga. And came in 2nd in his first season. Koeman has crashed out of several jobs. He won 3 Eredivise titles… 15-20 years ago… but that’s a much easier league than the PL.

Busquets was 31 the season Koeman had him. De Jong, Lenglet and Messi all made team of the season.

I suppose it’s an opinion that Koeman is a good manager or an equal manager to Xavi, but it’s not based in fact and purely subjective. This makes your “Ten Hag in” position even more suspect as you clearly are swayed by factors that have nothing to do with football.
I make up my mind based on games I watch. You can‘t frame that Xavi was doing well at Barcelona. They got kicked out of CL, imagine that. The same thing you are roasting Ten Hag for (deservedly).

I‘m not ‚Ten Hag in‘ or out, it‘s 50/50 whether he stays imo.

Blood Mage

Bournemouth who we're playing tomorrow have a better coach than us. They know how to press at least.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If he isn’t offered a new contract in the next month then I’d say that’s a clear indication of him being given the boot.

Eli Zee

if we were in the EFL Championship, do you think ETH could win the league with this squad?

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think INEOS may give him 1 more season to prove that he is the right candidate but all his transfers will be managed. Any iffy targets will be veto if they are not in agreement. High transfer fee will only be paid to establish stars and there will be a handful younger players at a reasonable fee. United should stop giving managers huge transfer funds for targets. Trust our academy and continue developing young talent. Fergie turn this club around with our academy products, I am sure it is possible.

E-mal

I make up my mind based on games I watch. You can‘t frame that Xavi was doing well at Barcelona. They got kicked out of CL, imagine that. The same thing you are roasting Ten Hag for (deservedly).

I‘m not ‚Ten Hag in‘ or out, it‘s 50/50 whether he stays imo.
There is nothing 50/50 about how he has performed. If he was in Barca or Real Madrid or any big club he had be gone by Christmas. He was lucky the club was in transition and that took the focus away from how badly we have played.
He has no business being here

AaronRedDevil

Look I know he's not the best right now, but I'd say give him one more season. We will absolutely go nowhere with Southgate and Potter. We do beat Chelsea and Liverpool Id it wasn't for Dalot and Bissakas stupidity to give away an easy pen in the last moment of the games. He has no other options as everyone is injured. Let's beef up that midfield and the other postions, then we'll see if he's really good enough.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Look I know he's not the best right now, but I'd say give him one more season. We will absolutely go nowhere with Southgate and Potter. We do beat Chelsea and Liverpool Id it wasn't for Dalot and Bissakas stupidity to give away an easy pen in the last moment of the games. He has no other options as everyone is injured. Let's beef up that midfield and the other postions, then we'll see if he's really good enough.
You can't use the chaos argument to absolve him while handwaving away goals that we scored in equally chaotic circumstances

Paul778

Very much doubt we'd go into a new season with a manager in the last year of his contract. Would be boxing themselves into a corner.

There is no way he gets an extension given the season he's had.

Ineos are saying all they need to say by saying nothing.

He's toast.

stevoc

We can try to hire any manager in the World, there's no rule that says it has to be one of those two. I highly doubt either is under serious consideration anyway.

Malone_Post

His comments about believing we had enough goals in the squad with the ‘plan he constructed’ are absolutely mindblowing. Pretty much the entire form were calling out the lack of goals in the team this summer. He’s just so painfully out of his depth in the Premier League. Nice guy, but giving him another season will be a disaster.

spwd

Literally not the debate whatsoever. These types of posts created to cause stupid fractions are the worst.
Some could argue the posts and posters still supporting him are posted to do the same. ;)

redcucumber

There's no credible argument to keeping him at this point. It feels like we aren't moving forwards towards anything. We're just existing, going from game to game with no discernible vision. If that suddenly changes from now 'til the season's end I'll happily get on board but it's hard to see it. He's not been able to actualise his plan and we can't afford another season like this. Gutting as he seemed like the man for a time but it is what it is.

NLunited

There is nothing 50/50 about how he has performed. If he was in Barca or Real Madrid or any big club he had be gone by Christmas. He was lucky the club was in transition and that took the focus away from how badly we have played.
He has no business being here
Ok clear where you stand.

Xavi is so bad he is firing himself.

hobbers

Look I know he's not the best right now, but I'd say give him one more season. We will absolutely go nowhere with Southgate and Potter.
Utter waste of time. A lot of time.

And this notion that we have to keep him because we're scared we might hire Southgate is getting tedious.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I always come to back to a single question when thinking about ETH’s performance with us: what would Pep or Klopp have done with a squad as unmotivated, injury-prone and generally one-dimensional as ours?

And I can’t help but think that they would have tried to find a management and tactical solution that showed some purpose to our play with the players we have. ETH has tried and failed repeatedly to do that. And as the manager the buck stops with him.