Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 557 53.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 479 46.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Skills

Snitch
He's basically the luckiest manager we've had post Fergie.

Even last season xPts had us finishing in 6th, yet we finished 3rd. This season xPts has us down as down in 15th.

He's lucky he's managing a club with an utterly clueless fanbase and ownership. The people who are judging the show are too illiterate when it comes to this sport to know any better.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
How is putting on Eriksen conceding possession and control? Isn’t that one of his best qualities. I don’t think the players he took off were playing particularly well.

You’re starting a different conversation there. Im not defending his recruitment and nor do I want him here next season. Im just saying that I felt today’s collapse is more to blame on the players. Like it was at Chelsea, Brentford, in the champions league. It’s mental fragility.
Erikaen in midfield is too lightweight and easy to play through. It’s a poor change, for me, and it’s not like we don’t have other examples of his changes adversely affecting games.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's horrible thats the answer but his defenders are fecking delusional. See @Plant0x84 @Berbaclass @BenitoSTARR and others come out their caves to blame the players for our collapse. What a farce. To them ETH is their god and he cant do any fault. Its always other factors except him (structure, owner, players, tea lady, etc pick your poison)
Let’s try and keep it civil. Football is all about opinions, and theirs doesn’t match mine but doesn’t deserve abuse

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's horrible thats the answer but his defenders are fecking delusional. See @Plant0x84 @Berbaclass @BenitoSTARR and others come out their caves to blame the players for our collapse. What a farce. To them ETH is their god and he cant do any fault. Its always other factors except him (structure, owner, players, tea lady, etc pick your poison)
I'm not in the shortlist!

Pleased with that. I agree he's sackable before people go nuts

klayton88

I don't want to see his face. What's he said post match? Mentioned Rashford stinking the place out?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Just seen this :lol:

What a trainwreck of a post haha!

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don't care, on the occasion they got forward they had legitimate chances. I think if they had better quality they'd have beat us in normal time today. He needed to find a way of closing the door.
Closing the door is trying to gain more control of the game. Antony is better at retaining possession usually compared to Garnacho and Eriksen has never been described as bad on the ball or unable to control a game.

stevoc

Blaming the manager is the easy and obvious answer.

As much as I’m not impressed with what we’ve been enduring this season, I want these players out first. Literally most of them Barr a few.
But you do know more than 60% of the squad were bought/promoted by Ten Hag?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If Ole had any kind of luck he'd have been playing sides like Coventry in semi finals.
Meh, if Ten Hag doesn't win the final it's pointless. If he does win he would have done it beating City and Liverpool, weirdly

Spoony

The People's President

We beat City. He stays. We'll win and all.

DSG

Kinda blown away that the number of Yes votes have actually increased by 5… although many more No votes has shown that he’s completely lost the fans

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Zero excuses not to sack him today. If we can sack LvG immediately after finishing 4th and winning the Cup, we can sack ETH for being in 7th and almost certainly losing the final to City. A big test of SJR's resolve in the coming days.

Telsim

I don't really like this shitting on the manager after a win, especially considering the media will be doing enough of that as it is. A second FA final in two years is great, though it will end the same way, yes.

But dearie me, 2-3-4 new players aren't fixing this. And I can't take another season of this football. It's so bad. I think his fate is sealed anyway, and has been for a while. But the club is becoming an increasingly toxic proposition for potential candidates.

This season can't end soon enough.

Rojofiam

In this instance that is very much how football works. If you actually think we have any chance in hell against City then I don't know what to tell you. Especially under this clown.
Chance, well of course we have a chance. If you think it's 100/0 in favor of City, go and put your money where your mouth is because you can win money betting on them. Betting markets will gladly take your money

Red-17

3 out of 4 domestic finals in 2 years. Yet people want him sacked :houllier:
We had about as easy a run to the League cup final last year as possible, and have been incredibly fortunate to make it to the FA cup final this year with Liverpool having missed a chance to wipe the floor with us (not due to us stopping them) and then drawing a championship team in the semi and still struggling.

Maybe that context might enlighten why people are not so impressed with him.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Zero excuses not to sack him today. If we can sack LvG immediately after finishing 4th and winning the Cup, we can sack ETH for being in 7th and almost certainly losing the final to City. A big test of SJR's resolve in the coming days.
We finished 5th when we won the FA Cup.

Cecc

He's basically the luckiest manager we've had post Fergie.

Even last season xPts had us finishing in 6th, yet we finished 3rd. This season xPts has us down as down in 15th.

He's lucky he's managing a club with an utterly clueless fanbase and ownership. The people who are judging the show are too illiterate when it comes to this sport to know any better.
Seriously, the luckiest? If it's lucky to have half your squad injured almost all season and probably the most important players last year the backbone of our defense Martinez and Shaw. Not to mention the crazy amount of drama he had to deal with since he is here. I would back him until Christmas and make a statement by selling few "important" players like Rashford, Casemiro, Sancho!

I hope we have the proper structure behind him and make a good summer transfer window both in and out! And if there is not serios improvement in our gameplay and overall performances then a serious question should be asked.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Who's your ideal replacements?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
How dare you defend him. Get back in your cave.
Sorry yes. I forgot myself.

In all seriousness I’m now 60:40 still in favour of stay. But maybe im wrong here I feel 3:0 up with 20 odd mins to go you should be able to take off 2 teenagers and bring on Eriksen and Antony and see out a game?

Like the players should be capable of that right?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
He basically made his first sentence redundant with his last sentence, yes any man united side should be able to see off Coventry....unless managed by an awful coach
There is no unless.

DSG

Didn’t we finish 5th that season? That was the reason for the sacking

Godfather

Do we actually believe he’d have been gone tomorrow if we lost? It’s always gonna be at the end of the season. That’s when new things start, everything will be in place in the summer. ETH is going it’s just whether he goes on a high or not with the FA cup. We should take note of what spurs did with sacking Mourinho despite getting them in a final.
Let's hope so. I have zero trust in INEOS or Ratcliffe but let's see.

The Hilton

Well not really, the idea that he has been successful in that regard is just your opinion. All I did was pose the question based on objective events that happened well into his 2nd year in charge that maybe he hasn't managed to get a handle on disciplinary issues yet.
It is my opinion, but again you're trying to pass your opinion off as "objective events". I don't think you're being fair about the Sancho thing, for which you apportioned blame to Ten Hag. He gave a relatively tame answer in a press conference that amounted to Sancho not playing himself into the first team in training, after which Sancho went scorched earth. I'd have backed any manager in that situation every time.

So why persist with something that clearly isn't working when there will be very little if any tangible benefit in doing that?
I didn't say there isn't any tangible benefit, I was explicit that there hopefully is, eventually. The benefit is that we'll eventually learn another system. No matter who comes in, we'll have to spend some time learning anything that isn't a mid block, which will come with pain and some drubbings. Whether Ten Hag's system, when he's got the players for it and it's sunk in, gives us enough control is up for debate and in fairness I'm starting to have doubts about that, but "the system isn't working yet so stop trying" isn't a valid argument for me, as that means playing a mid block forever.

Spoony

The People's President
Sorry yes. I forgot myself.

In all seriousness I’m now 60:40 still in favour of stay. But maybe im wrong here I feel 3:0 up with 20 odd mins to go you should be able to take off 2 teenagers and bring on Eriksen and Antony and see out a game?

Like the players should be capable of that right?
True. But we've such a weak mentality. Is that down to him or is it something more complex?