Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 546 53.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 477 46.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Atheist

Massively clownish of him to deflect on the pathetic collapse and call everyone else a disgrace. He can’t be thrown out of this club soon enough.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It just speaks to areas of preparation and coaching that he doesnt bother with. The routines are not there. The video touches on that as well, with all the frantic pointing and players racing around desperately trying to plug holes, never knowing who is responsible for what. We've seen it all season.

That doesnt happen because our players are collectively more stupid than other teams. It happens because they're left to their own devices. Having a couple of really intelligent footballers and leaders in there could obviously mitigate some of it. But our leaders are Maguire, Casemiro and Bruno, which says it all. And even if Pep has some relative geniuses playing for him, he still knows he has to drill into his players exactly what each of them should do in every imaginable situation in minute detail.
Truth be told, it would mitigate nothing, they would drown like everyone else, unless these players lead tactical meetings and training sessions(Bayern players did that a few yeas ago) where they decide how everyone is supposed to cover zones of the field depending on where the ball and closest opponents are, then they have to actually train and build muscle memory.

It's one aspect that isn't too difficult but requires time and automatism. You can't improvise.

redcucumber

Tuchel is 100% putting his name out there. It's so obvious :lol: Just a bunch of german outlets saying the same thing
He's the most highly qualified option with PL experience while being readily available. It really isn't hard to believe that he's on our radar/club have reached out to his intermediaries.

SER19

Weird reaction here. I think he's right and glad to see him give it back. I can't ever remember a manager being asked if he's embarrassed after a win or if his players are. The arrogance of the same media who kneel and worship cheating City is sickening. Some of you just don't get it or seem to have forgotten the absolute contempt most non United fans have for United

Jev

It's reasonable to start expecting things of the manager immediately, I never said otherwise and you know it. I'm sure it was a satisfying snarky zinger to post but it's just a tired strawman.

The fact remains though that this isn't Ten Hag's squad, only Onana, Mount, and Antony can be classed as his first choice signings, the rest that have come in under him have been club signings, emergency loans, and backups.
Martinez? Casemiro? Højlund? That gives you six starters, as well as several squad players. I’m not being snarky, at one point is it ETH’s squad? No manager can expect to be able to sign 11 starters within a couple of seasons.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's the most highly qualified option with PL experience while being readily available. It really isn't hard to believe that he's on our radar/club have reached out to his intermediaries.
He can be tricky to work with and has imploded with a sacking after 2-ish years into every role he's been in.

I have warmed to him, but I don't think he's near as close as the reports suggest. The man wants back into England desperately.

Jev

Weird reaction here. I think he's right and glad to see him give it back. I can't ever remember a manager being asked if he's embarrassed after a win or if his players are. The arrogance of the same media who kneel and worship cheating City is sickening. Some of you just don't get it or seem to have forgotten the absolute contempt most non United fans have for United
The media reaction reflects the feeling of most fans.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It just speaks to areas of preparation and coaching that he doesnt bother with. The routines are not there. The video touches on that as well, with all the frantic pointing and players racing around desperately trying to plug holes, never knowing who is responsible for what. We've seen it all season.

That doesnt happen because our players are collectively more stupid than other teams. It happens because they're left to their own devices. Having a couple of really intelligent footballers and leaders in there could obviously mitigate some of it. But our leaders are Maguire, Casemiro and Bruno, which says it all. And even if Pep has some relative geniuses playing for him, he still knows he has to drill into his players exactly what each of them should do in every imaginable situation in minute detail.
I don’t think so, it’s more that they are filling in at positions they are not familiar or comfortable with. It’s also because it’s impossible to build patterns and relationships when the team is constantly changing. All these admittedly small problems are building to make a big impact on the way we play.
Like Anka says, there is a gulf between how Erik wants the team to play, and what the available players are capable of, but if you do the obvious thing and suit the style of play to those players you will never develop your play or team. It’s a tough situation to manage.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He is well within his right to bite back but there is only one thing embarrassing and a disgrace about Sunday, and it isn't the reaction.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Think you're moving the goals posts a bit from highlighting Sunday's selection to some ultimate selection that hasn't been possible.
That’s the thing though. Our injury issues are so extreme especially in defense that we’ve not seen Sundays selection before, and with any luck we won’t see it again!

Atheist

Have City thrown away a 3-0 lead to a Championship side? If they did, they would get enormous criticism from the press. So yes, they were right to ask if he’s embarrassed.

hobbers

I don’t think so, it’s more that they are filling in at positions they are not familiar or comfortable with. It’s also because it’s impossible to build patterns and relationships when the team is constantly changing.
AWB has been playing at left back for months now. Casemiro only filled in at CB for one of these many capitulations, the rest have had a pretty consistent back four, with Mainoo and Casemiro ahead of them.

JPRouve

Scout

I think he's lost the plot.
To me that's his Pochettino moment, he isn't built for elite Football. He should have been the one publicly disappointed and expecting more from the team and himself. And for people comparing him to SAF.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I have no doubt many of this squad need dumping on the side of the street, as I have no doubt Ten Hag should be next to them.
In a situation like this I would listen to someone with lots of doubts over someone with none. All of the players in the squad are decent dedicated players if given in the right environment. That's the challenge now. Ditching the manager may or may not be a part of that. I say this with "no doubt" he will get sacked at the end of the season, but a large amount of doubt whether it will make matters better. A new guy could come in and simplify everything and make us coherent, but we'd still be beaten by the more sophisticated teams and finish sixth.

redshaw

That’s the thing though. Our injury issues are so extreme especially in defense that we’ve not seen Sundays selection before, and with any luck we won’t see it again!
Again missing the context of the season, Sunday and this unrealistic theoretical selection that's not been possible. We've been three sheets to the wind for the season with players in their correct positions.

Brentford have a back four out and we don't trouble them until the 96th minute and collapse.

glazed

Why can't our defenders push up? :lol: It's just clear nonsense and tells me straight away that Ducker is, for whatever reason, not being honest. Even when we have our first choice defence we still look the same and there's no getting away from that.
Because they're too old and/or too slow. They can only defend deep. When we had Martinez and (the less than ideal) Varane fit and playing regularly in central defense, or Shaw standing in, we looked way better.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

"Top football is about results" says the conman who finished bottom of an easy CL group and is barely hanging onto 7th in the league.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I’ve softened a bit since Sunday. Couldn’t tell you why. Maybe just out of the heat of the moment and calmed down.

Don’t want him to remain but I guess I would understand the logic to an extent if he did stay beyond the end of the season. His sacking at some point will be inevitable though if that’s the case.

K Stand Knut

I’m not overly concerned by his reaction to the media. If we had to have a name for a group of the media like we do for large groups of animals, I dare say we’d have to settle on something akin to ‘horrible odious cnuts’ for the media and they need calling out for the horrible odious cnuts that they are.

Ten Hag think that the media reaction if OOT as well as thinking that the team weren’t good enough. They do not need to be feelings or thoughts that can’t be had by the same people. I, for one, share the exact same thoughts

The players and team were not good enough, some of which stems from EtH and he deserves criticism. However, I also think that the media reaction is a fecking joke, like it it most of the time with United.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
The only things embarrassing and disgraceful are our performance in the semi-final and what he has served so far this season. Amazing that we keep finding these delusional fools and keep indulging for far longer than necessary.

glazed

23% still think ETH should stay. The one thing we have is patient fans
Sunday finally flipped me. Taking off Mainoo for Erikson with an eye to the midweek game was just suicidal. I get why he did it but it almost cost us the game.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
When did City lose a 3-0 lead to a Championship side though?

Sunday was embarrassing, no two ways about it. I don't care what non United fans say or do, as a United fan, I felt embarrassed on Sunday. Nearly all the other fans I've spoken to said the same.

I feel for ETH now because everyone ( likely including himself) knows this is only going one way and most people when backed into a corner react this way. It's not easy to be dignified in his situation, I get that, but he's just opening himself to more ridicule with these statements.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This is pretty disingenuous, it only works if you include youth players that have been promoted under him, and that only works if you ignore various members of the squad that are out on loan (Sancho, etc).

There are plenty of sticks to beat ETH with, but the squad clearly isn't one that he can rely on yet, especially once injuries kick in.
I don’t believe it is, he chose to sell Fred, despite him being one of our most energetic, pressing midfielders. So that he could bring in Mount. Now I don’t dislike Mount as a character or a player, but he has not been properly fit for almost 2 seasons now.
He chose to let go off Hannibal and Fernandez both of whom could have been very useful in this weird setup - 1 being a very energetic midfielder and the other being a left back who is good going forward and into midfield.
he chose to sell Elanga, who I agree is not the level we aspire to, but he is useful, quick, full of energy, capable of scoring and is levels above Forson who he wants to keep.
He bought Anthony, he bought Onana. He knows these players from Ajax and thought they are good enough. (Onana I don’t hate, I just find him average as a goalkeeper. Its like having Lindelof in nets)

let’s not say that he’s had no control over the squad, he’s had a major say in it

K Stand Knut

"Top football is about results" says the conman who finished bottom of an easy CL group and is barely hanging onto 7th in the league.
He’s spot on though. I’m not sure what your issue is?

He’s being judged on his results and from some quarters with completely over the top reports and articles.

This really isn’t rocket science

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Sunday finally flipped me. Taking off Mainoo for Erikson with an eye to the midweek game was just suicidal. I get why he did it but it almost cost us the game.
I don’t think one single decision caused anything. I think the subs weren’t as bad as most people are saying. We had more than enough quality to see the game out. The player’s mentality was this issue on Sunday for me.

JPRouve

Scout
I don’t believe it is, he chose to sell Fred, despite him being one of our most energetic, pressing midfielders. So that he could bring in Mount. Now I don’t dislike Mount as a character or a player, but he has not been properly fit for almost 2 seasons now.
He chose to let go off Hannibal and Fernandez both of whom could have been very useful in this weird setup - 1 being a very energetic midfielder and the other being a left back who is good going forward and into midfield.
he chose to sell Elanga, who I agree is not the level we aspire to, but he is useful, quick, full of energy, capable of scoring and is levels above Forson who he wants to keep.
He bought Anthony, he bought Onana. He knows these players from Ajax and thought they are good enough. (Onana I don’t hate, I just find him average as a goalkeeper. Its like having Lindelof in nets)

let’s not say that he’s had no control over the squad, he’s had a major say in it
We all know that you just lied. :lol: