Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 540 53.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 476 46.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
So tomorrow potentially we're without

Bruno
Mctominay
Garnacho
Rashford
Amrabat
Mount
Evans
Varane
Martinez
Shaw
Malacia
Lindelof
Kambwala
Martial

14 first team squad members out.

Have we ever had anything as close to this? It cannot just be bad luck, there's some underlying problem at the club that is causing this.
This club is made of styrofoam and it makes sense.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
What does he think the media do? Say Awww poor Erik let him do a bad job without comment? Newsflash this is what the U.K. media do, he’s lucky he hasn’t had his face superimposed on a turnip yet. He needs to be stronger than this
I think his reaction is him doing exactly that. He’s fighting his corner and defending his team.

NLunited

Unfortunately the game is 90 minutes, not 70. You have to be controlled and professional for the full duration. Overall, it was a disgraceful performance. First time in my life a win felt like a loss. There was little joy when that last Pen went in.

Last season was ETH's genius and proves he an excellent coach but another 200m later (after 200m in the first window) it's the state of the club and squad. Cool story, bro.

Based on the 90 minutes, Coventry did deserve to win the game. If not for stupid VAR, they would have too. Unfortunately, for them they drew the game and lost it in a crap shoot.
Credit to Coventry but I don’t agree with that. We were poor after 70 minutes, but they were lucky to get to 3-3. The penalty was very harsh.

We’ve seen this lack of game management over and over; there is no way Ten Hag isn’t talking to his players about this.

He is not coaching them to lose the ball or lose duels at critical moments.

Tiber

His media appearances are consistently infuriating.

It's one thing to be bad at your job, it's another to repeatedly suggest everyone else is just wrong

An unlikeable man

TrailMonkey

Been listening to his presser again. He really has no idea. He says football is about results, therefore our cup achievements should be respected. How about looking at our results in the CL and PL eh? Prcik.

Plant0x84

Bruno
Mctominay
Garnacho
Rashford
Amrabat
Mount
Evans
Varane
Martinez
Shaw
Malacia
Lindelof
Kambwala
Martial

Have we ever had anything even close to this? It cannot just be bad luck, there's some underlying problem at the club that is causing this.
Holy cow! Seriously? :eek:
Without Bruno, Garnacho and Rashford we are thoroughly screwed. Glad this isn’t on TV, could be another embarrassment.

SER19

Have City thrown away a 3-0 lead to a Championship side? If they did, they would get enormous criticism from the press. So yes, they were right to ask if he’s embarrassed.
When did City lose a 3-0 lead to a Championship side though?

Sunday was embarrassing, no two ways about it. I don't care what non United fans say or do, as a United fan, I felt embarrassed on Sunday. Nearly all the other fans I've spoken to said the same.

I feel for ETH now because everyone ( likely including himself) knows this is only going one way and most people when backed into a corner react this way. It's not easy to be dignified in his situation, I get that, but he's just opening himself to more ridicule with these statements.
Both missing my point. If you think any of these guys would ask guardiola if he's embarrassed or if his players are embarrassed you're in a fantasy land. Im talking about the way these cretins have dealt with United for years. Remember that creep from sky hounding ten hag into his car before he was even the manager. The contrast is shocking. And yes in recent years city have lost to wigan and Southampton - but this isn't the contrast im making. The media have shown ZERO respect to any United manager post Ferguson, they behave like snivelling youtube comment section trolls and they simultaneously bend over for guardiola and tiptoe around their cheating and endless ref calls.

feck these people. They are embarrassing, and theyd have been wanking at the thought of guardiola v pep send off if Liverpool had beaten Coventry in the same manner, not asking klopp if he was embarrassed. But we knocked Liverpool out. They were leading in extra time. They were leading in normal time.

Some of the comments in here, christ, you make it easy for people who detest United, as so many seem to hate United themselves

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I agree, think it’s very simplistic to blame it on the subs, which I had no issues with. But the way we defend as a unit is baffling, has been all season and was again on Sunday.
With those set of defenders it has been for about 5 years

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Bruno
Mctominay
Garnacho
Rashford
Amrabat
Mount
Evans
Varane
Martinez
Shaw
Malacia
Lindelof
Kambwala
Martial

Have we ever had anything even close to this? It cannot just be bad luck, there's some underlying problem at the club that is causing this.
There is no injury crisis according to Neville

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really don’t get him. He doesn’t appear to value dominating and control over football matches - constantly harping about effective and unlucky we are, taking about rubbish performances as if they were good. Standards start from the top and it seems ETH has none.

Plant0x84

His media appearances are consistently infuriating.

It's one thing to be bad at your job, it's another to repeatedly suggest everyone else is just wrong

An unlikeable man
I don’t understand why anybody puts any stock in what a manager says to the press. It’s just platitudes and narrative. You can bet your bottom It’s totally different from what he’s saying in the changing room.

All managers do it, SAF was a master at it - they want to set the agenda and control the narrative which is fair enough. Doesn’t necessarily make it what they really believe.

Plant0x84

Don’t agree, I think it makes him look like someone moaning nonsense because he’s under pressure
That’s because you view him negatively from your perspective. You, like many others have reached a conclusion on him (which is entirely reasonable and you are all entitled to do obviously) and that will colour your take on everything he does now until he isn’t employed by the club any more.

Oldyella

He’s spot on though. I’m not sure what your issue is?

He’s being judged on his results and from some quarters with completely over the top reports and articles.

This really isn’t rocket science
If he's just being judged on results it's hardly over the top. Judged on results he's lucky he's still got a job.

Gordon S

23% still think ETH should stay. The one thing we have is patient fans
Our fans patience is off the charts to be honest! Hats off to all of them.
Our organisation, tactics and setup have been awful for over a year.
Brentford are happy to avoid relegation and just recently played us off the pitch. Coventry is a decent championship side and we just couldn`t handle them once they pushed forward.
But 23% of us still thinks that Erik is the right guy for us.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Credit to Coventry but I don’t agree with that. We were poor after 70 minutes, but they were lucky to get to 3-3. The penalty was very harsh.

We’ve seen this lack of game management over and over; there is no way Ten Hag isn’t talking to his players about this.

He is not coaching them to lose the ball or lose duels at critical moments.
Again, it doesn't matter after which minute we were poor. It was disgraceful to give up a 3-0 lead to the draw the game at 90 minutes.

No manager coaches his team to lose the ball or duels. Frank De Boer also wasn't asking his Palace players to lose the ball/duels, neither was Moyes asking our players to lose the ball/duels. But both of them like ETH proved to be our of depth in their jobs.

I am flabbergasted at the discussion we are having. If I am correct, you want to say that everyone and everything other than Ten Hag is to blame for the last game and whatever has happened this season. The "professional and controlled" performance for the first 70 minutes was all because of Ten Hag's genius but the 20 minutes after was the Glazers, players, the tea lady's fault. The wins are Ten Hag's, the draws and losses are everyone else's.

Good talk, Dude!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not necessarily saying you're wrong, but what season do you think we were more open and worse defensively than this?

Pre Fergie days ?
Maybe the first months of 2019-2020? But Ole fixed it by readjusting the defensive line and focus on containment instead of pressing high.

Rista

Do other clubs have ‘manager in’ and ‘manager out’ camps like ours? I feel fan opinions are usually less divided in other clubs where the majority would either want a manager out or are in support of him. Whilst the polls on here suggest most want ETH sacked, the posts seem to suggest some are still firmly believing he’ll lead us to glory.

Very confusing!
Fanbases of other big clubs do not have an unhealthy attachment to the manager. They're not ready to throw the club under the bus just to defend the manager.

I see the new EtH in cycle has already kicked in. Didn't take long :lol: Oh well, on to the next embarrassing peformance.

Djemba-Djemba

Maybe the first months of 2019-2020? But Ole fixed it by readjusting the defensive line and focus on containment instead of pressing high.
We've had periods of being equally open maybe yeah, but I honestly cannot remember a full season where every game it looks like we could easily concede 3 or 4.

I can't even remember the last clean sheet we had

The Hilton

I don’t believe it is, he chose to sell Fred, despite him being one of our most energetic, pressing midfielders. So that he could bring in Mount. Now I don’t dislike Mount as a character or a player, but he has not been properly fit for almost 2 seasons now.
He chose to let go off Hannibal and Fernandez both of whom could have been very useful in this weird setup - 1 being a very energetic midfielder and the other being a left back who is good going forward and into midfield.
he chose to sell Elanga, who I agree is not the level we aspire to, but he is useful, quick, full of energy, capable of scoring and is levels above Forson who he wants to keep.
He bought Anthony, he bought Onana. He knows these players from Ajax and thought they are good enough. (Onana I don’t hate, I just find him average as a goalkeeper. Its like having Lindelof in nets)

let’s not say that he’s had no control over the squad, he’s had a major say in it
Nobody has said he's had no control, there's a world of difference between that and "he's put together over 50% of the squad". That's just hyperbole.

Letting go of aging players and youth players who simply aren't of the required standard, most of whom are on inflated contracts, is a required step. Someone like Forson costs the club a lot less than someone like Elanga, so it's only sensible to get rid of the higher cost deadwood before the lower cost deadwood.