Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 563 53.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 481 46.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Teja

How do people write this crap and how do more believe it? Have to be so ignorant of how football works to think a new technical director will swan into any club and immediately start dictating to the manager to play a different style of football.
I buy it. In my mind the conversation would go something along the lines of Ten Hag saying well this is the squad we have and I think quick transitions and going direct + counter pressing with 6 players is what will get the best out of them. Wilcox will say results are not the point right now, the style of play needs to come first so go implement that.

Easy to validate, so let's see.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Brilliant! Let's get him to provide us with a list of transfer targets and ensure Wilcox, Ashworth, Berrada are working theirs ass off to get as many of them as possible.

Our hierarchy should do everything in their power to help ETH succeed.

Kaos

Brilliant! Let's get him to provide us with a list of transfer targets and ensure Wilcox, Ashworth, Berrada are working theirs ass off to get as many of them as possible.
I'd expect Ashworth to be on the phone to the agents of Brobbey and Tadic in between tending to his cabbage patch.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

Our hierarchy should do everything in their power to help ETH succeed.
Don't think it will work like that anymore. The club will identify players based on the new unified philosophy set by Ashworth, Berrarda, Wilcox etc and give their recommendations to the manager or 'consult' him and then once they are in agreement go ahead.

That's my understanding of how it will work etc.

CM

Why not just make Wilcox the new manager? Makes most sense now, if this is true. ETH has never been a possession coach, so why try to make him one? Why do we always have to try and do things differently to everybody else, it's fecking mental. Just sack him and hire a possession based coach. It is that simple.
That's how well organised football clubs usually operate. Identify the style you want your team to play and take steps to implement that style.

Ten Hag is being given a benefit of the doubt I wouldn't afford him at this stage, but I guess that's the new structure's prerogative if they want to give him one more chance to prove himself incapable. They clearly aren't planning to make a change before the summer anyway.

hobbers

When SJR took over he did say that they would decide how they want United to play and they would recruit to make that happen.

so perhaps they already know how they want to play and he’s now delivered that message to ETH
I hope so, in the sense that they decide a way to play and then pick a new manager who conforms to it.

If they make any sort of attempt to keep ETH in place, and then try to coerce him into changing his philosophy next season, it'd show them up as very incompetent.

Berbaclass

That's how well organised football clubs usually operate. Identify the style you want your team to play and take steps to implement that style.

Ten Hag is being given a benefit of the doubt I wouldn't afford him at this stage, but I guess that's the new structure's prerogative if they want to give him one more chance to prove himself incapable. They clearly aren't planning to make a change before the summer anyway.
Also, what is realistically the harm in starting now. We aren't getting CL we might as well start playing the new style ASAP and it will help us decide who can/can't play it players-wise.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why not just make Wilcox the new manager? Makes most sense now, if this is true. ETH has never been a possession coach, so why try to make him one? Why do we always have to try and do things differently to everybody else, it's fecking mental. Just sack him and hire a possession based coach. It is that simple.
If it's true, which it likely isn't, it would essentially be sacking him...

hobbers

What Ogden's article is actually saying is that ETH is treading a well worn path.

As soon as we mathematically cant qualify for the CL, his pay cut for next season will be confirmed. And therefore any payoff he gets will be decreased to about £6.75m, down from the £9m it would be right now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He isn't a possession coach but he can coach it, he did it with Ajax since it was mandated. But your point stands if we are talking about the manager preference, unless it was a requirement when we hired him, it's not fair to judge him on it after nearly two years unless he is genuinely okay with it.

While I have been critical of ETH and his decisions, I do believe that he is a decent coach, versatile and could do it if forced too. My issue is that I don't know if as a club you can be successful at that level when you have to micromanage your head coach, I don't have an example of it working.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Don't think it will work like that anymore. The club will identify players based on the new unified philosophy set by Ashworth, Berrarda, Wilcox etc and give their recommendations to the manager or 'consult' him and then once they are in agreement go ahead.

That's my understanding of how it will work etc.
It will be hard to assess him in that case though. If he is struggling to make it work with these players, we will need to replace Ashworth and Wilcox with someone who can get Erik correct players.

I almost hate these fecking players already despite them not being there yet just because how much I expect them to let ETH down.

Berbaclass

Could you see it?
I could yeah. I don't think he wants to leave so it's up to him to adapt to the new remit.

I get the impression from his public comments that discussions they have had have been positive and there is alignment. They've possibly just been waiting for Wilcox to start to actually start the shift as he is there to support ETH now.

Berbaclass

It will be hard to assess him in that case though. If he is struggling to make it work with these players, we will need to replace Ashworth and Wilcox with someone who can get Erik correct players.
Are you being deliberately facetious? :lol:

Genuinely not sure.

The manager under the new 'model' or remit willbe more of a head coach,

I think he loses his veto but they obviously keep him in the loop and essentially give him a list of x amount of players who are the same profile and ask his thought on which one he would prefer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I almost hate these fecking players already despite them not being there yet just because how much I expect them to let ETH down.
So you already hate players who haven’t been bought yet because they might let the coach down? Bizarre logic. If ETH gets more new players and they are underperforming, we can be clear that it’s not the players at fault

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It is when the opposition is getting to take 20-30 shots against you week in, week out. It screams that something isn’t right.

Ten Hag is relying on luck that the opposition don’t score more
Are we saying all of our opponents were unlucky not to score from any of the chances we conceded? We faced the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, City ,Spurs.

Djemba-Djemba

Are people seriously trying to claim facing 20 shots on our goal every single game isn't a big issue?

I know ETH says that but he's talking shite.

CM

:lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Are we saying all of our opponents were unlucky not to score from any of the chances we conceded? We faced the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, City ,Spurs.
I don't know if you are in favor of advanced stats but our xG against in the league is at 59 goals while our xG for is at 47 goals. We scored 47 goals and conceded 48. So while I don't like the term luck in that context, on average we conceded 11 fewer goals than teams generally concede with similar opportunities conceded.

AndyMUFC

He isn't a possession coach but he can coach it, he did it with Ajax since it was mandated. But your point stands if we are talking about the manager preference, unless it was a requirement when we hired him, it's not fair to judge him on it after nearly two years unless he is genuinely okay with it.

While I have been critical of ETH and his decisions, I do believe that he is a decent coach, versatile and could do it if forced too. My issue is that I don't know if as a club you can be successful at that level when you have to micromanage your head coach, I don't have an example of it working.
He was even implementing it here last season. Coming away from the possession stuff this season is where a lot of our problems have come from ever since August, and that's why he is also hugely responsible for this year.

JPRouve

Scout
He was even implementing it here last season. Coming away from the possession stuff this season is where a lot of our problems have come from ever since August, and that's why he is also hugely responsible for this year.
At times we could see it, especially when Eriksen wasn't there to settle things done? But it was more during the transition for defense to attack, at least that's how I remember it.

mu4c_20le

Are you being deliberately facetious? :lol:

Genuinely not sure.

The manager under the new 'model' or remit willbe more of a head coach,

I think he loses his veto but they obviously keep him in the loop and essentially give him a list of x amount of players who are the same profile and ask his thought on which one he would prefer.
Sharp. I notice not everyone is sharp here.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I think this is my favourite post in this thread :lol:

Ace of Spades

He is getting the boot, only a matter of time. Even ETH probably knows this, with the way he is acting recently.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I don't know if you are in favor of advanced stats but our xG against in the league is at 59 goals while our xG for is at 47 goals. We scored 47 goals and conceded 48. So while I don't like the term luck in that context, on average we conceded 11 fewer goals than teams generally concede with similar opportunities conceded.
Fair point and I am no way justifying the amount of chances we concede . We are having an extremely poor season but this over exaggeration of 20+ shots doesnt hold any water to me. The poor season isn't just down to ETH but rather the amount of injuries to our defence as well.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Blimey

SATA

A former Blackburn winger cum technical director with virtually no experience of management telling the manager how to play football? :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Fair point and I am no way justifying the amount of chances we concede . We are having an extremely poor season but this over exaggeration of 20+ shots doesnt hold any water to me. The poor season isn't just down to ETH but rather the amount of injuries to our defence as well.
I see where you are coming from and that's why even though I like stats I haven't put any emphasis on total shots because in reality you could give up low quality shots by design. But that's not true for us, with give up decent quality shots and we do it with volume.

Max_United

A former Blackburn winger cum technical director with virtually no experience of management telling the manager how to play football? :lol:
A former mediocre Eredivisie player with no international caps telling premier league players how to play football? :lol:

hobbers

Think it's mad we spend 5 years with everyone moaning about needing people with experience in football directorship, experience managing academies, scouting networks, data analysis, transfer negotiation etc so all departments line up with the same overall philosophy.

Then even before we've got these people in the door immediately fans are effectively saying they should just be taking over from ETH's day job, to cover for his lack of ability. Rather than replacing him with a coach who can play attractive winning football.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
That's...a strange technique to direct as part of your job