Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

pawanraj

Manager is asked a question about a player. Manager answers with a straight bat about the player needing to do better in training. Player posts a cryptic message which may or may not be directed at the manager's comments.

Nothing has been said since by the club or the player.

The outrage machine that is social media and fan forums have been outraging - about the player's reaction, the manager's answer and now, about the drama that was created in the first place by social media and fan forums.

If it wasn't sad, it would be funny.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There is no real prospect of selling him, as he isn’t going to accept his wage dropping from £350k to £150k (no one is sensibly offering him more than that and that’s being very generous). Someone might take him on a free or on a loan deal, with us subsidising most of his wages.

Really though, it’s better if we can continue to try and make it work with him this season, so at the very least he looks an asset for another club. Might then lead to us being able to find a purchaser next summer, who will give him the type of wages he will demand.
Not this again. When he hits 4 games good run it's contract time and we're on. Look at what happened with Martial

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Urgh. Generally not a fan of going public with this stuff. Just draws in drama and becomes a massive distraction.

But my word what type of shit ass response is that by Sancho?

Guess he’s done here. Not sure how you can resolve that relationship unless there’s a lot more behind the scenes we don’t know about.

redshaw

Probably is intentional. At some point you have to cut your loses and get another player in that's more willing for £30m on 100k for example.

It's also hard to see where he plays regularly. Seeing club icon Rashford take the left side and ETH bringing in Antony for 80m that works hard, he would have to oust Antony with very strong performances. We're not setup to utilize Sancho like at Dortmund, he's not one to be as strong as ETH's own man Antony or as impactful as a sub over Garnacho for us in our isolated individual style. Sancho is part of the problem, the playstyle another and other more trusted players make it a demoralizing situation to overcome which I said day 1. He's pretty much a squad player here with understandable bad vibes and very expensive.

Yes he's had some issues elsewhere at times but I can see him getting back to playing well if given the main role left or right side in a more passing system that doesn't require battling type displays.

Hughes35

This is terrible news IMO.

If Sancho is forced out of the club how will replace what he produces in terms of.... erm, well neverminded, but what about all the other things he offers like.... ohhh, erm sorry ignore me.

He's clearly lazy with a bad attitude. Get rid asap. If Saudi will take him he should go now. If not, then a new club in January.

He owes ETH a lot for how patient he has been with him, I'd be absolutely furious with Sancho if I was the manager.

kaku06

I don’t know. I think ETH shouldnt have given details. Not fit would have been enough.
What if Sancho comes out on social media and says that’s a lie, he’s been fit and been made a scapegoat? Don’t you see what’s the problem here?

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Sancho has been a disaster. Only highlight came against Liverpool last season. Needs to leave ASAP. Garnacho, Amad, Pellistri all decent options in attack.

Oranges038

What if Sancho comes out on social media and says that’s a lie, he’s been fit and been made a scapegoat? Don’t you see what’s the problem here?
It's quite clear that the problem here is Sancho.

kaku06

When you're a professional athlete and push up like this. Everyone has the rights to question your attitude
I remember the punishment was 5 push ups. He didn’t even do 5. He did four. :lol:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I think Ten Hag didn't say anything bad now I've listened to it. If Sancho had refrained from posting what he did then nobody even bats an eyelid.

RuudTom83

That clip is clearly Bruno...and it doesn't really prove anything.

The push-ups were a fun little punishment for losing.

Silvan83

Holy crap! Like we need another public drama at this very moment! Terrible timing! It was not very wise from Ten Hag to comment on the absence of Sancho this way. This in it self was very strange to me, Erik normally has a very dyplomatic tone and he is careful not to produce controversy. Here it seemed to be an attack on the player, but since Ten Hag is still working on his English perhaps he didn't mean it to sound so harsh and definitive. All the same he spoke from position of the manager and the proper way of responding to that from Sancho's perspective would have been to work harder in the training. Maybe taking this to Ten Hag in privet conversation. Instead Sancho chose the worst possible way to go about this. I mean how stupid you have to be to go publicly against your manager?! and calling yourself a "space goat"!? Actually that's beyond stupid. Players get axed for less than that. Incredible, I'd be surprised if he ever plays for United again.

justsomebloke

Not sure why, you probably like being beaten away at Arsenal. I liked the Jose way of spanking them at their home place.
Yeah, because the defining characteristic of the Jose era were all those great results we kept having. :rolleyes:

We probably have an honest disagreement about Jose - for my part I despise him, and above all his basic vision of football. You can disagree with that if you want, but don't embarrass yourself by pretending that there's tradeoff with results, because his results really weren't very good.

Judas

Open to offers
Not sure why, you probably like being beaten away at Arsenal. I liked the Jose way of spanking them at their home place.
Genuinely how can you still lust over and romanticize the Jose period. It’s impressive that he’s still got a spell over so many Utd fans.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?

Look in the background, Sancho is doing terrible pushups, Bruno's are proper chest to floor ones.

gaffs

Probably is intentional. At some point you have to cut your loses and get another player in that's more willing for £30m on 100k for example.

It's also hard to see where he plays regularly. Seeing club icon Rashford take the left side and ETH bringing in Antony for 80m that works hard, he would have to oust Antony with very strong performances. We're not setup to utilize Sancho like at Dortmund, he's not one to be as strong as ETH's own man Antony or as impactful as a sub over Garnacho for us in our isolated individual style. Sancho is part of the problem, the playstyle another and other more trusted players make it a demoralizing situation to overcome which I said day 1. He's pretty much a squad player here with understandable bad vibes and very expensive.

Yes he's had some issues elsewhere at times but I can see him getting back to playing well if given the main role left or right side in a more passing system that doesn't require battling type displays.
No reason he can’t adapt his style. I just don’t think he want to put the effort in, especially on the defensive side.

Unless it’s Saudi, he won’t be getting a transfer, even when the window opens.

No club in Europe takes on his wages. Which is why it’s a little shortsighted for Ten Hag to call him out. He knows he can’t get rid of him.

justsomebloke

Apart from Shaw who proved him wrong Mourinho was proved right on Pogba and Martial.

Funny how both played well with something to prove after Jose left then just went back to old ways soon after the buzz wore off.
Thing is though, a manager's job isn't to be right about players. It's to get the best out of them. So what Pogba and Martial's resurgence after he left (even if not sustainable) speaks about isn't Jose being right, but Jose not doing his job well.

Overhaul FC

Strange to do this a couple of days after the window closed. I guess Ten Hag wanted him to move on and Chelsea interest was reported.

Maybe he should've said something at the start of the window if he had made his mind up at that point already that Sancho was never going to be he guy for him.

Now he's rocked the boat when we're currently on shakey ground with form and injuries. Not ideal and there's a time and place for it.

Dannn411

What a boneheaded move from Sancho. What Ten Hag said wasn't even that inflammatory. Why respond at all? If I was the manager, he doesn't play another minute while I'm still the boss.

justsomebloke

Sancho has been shit for 2 years, he's never shown anything but glimpses of form. He's more trouble than he's worth at this point and we should have sold him in the summer.

But at the same time Ten Hag does this thing where he doesn't give a shit about players he didn't sign and he throws them to the wolves with his tactics (that they can't do) and his comments, instead of realising that you have to get the best out of all the players at your disposal if you're going to be successful.
I really don't think that's a remotely accurate or reasonable description.

Hoof the ball

Those pushups are inexcusable. Absolutely inexcusable. There's no defence for it. None whatsoever. Bodyweight pushups are a piece of piss for a guy like Sancho with very little body fat and his general fitness. Quarter rep pushups.......as a professional athlete. I had elderly training clients who had better and deeper pushup form than him and they were in their 70's. What's the excuse, Redcafe?

Overhaul FC

Thing is though, a manager's job isn't to be right about players. It's to get the best out of them. So what Pogba and Martial's resurgence after he left (even if not sustainable) speaks about isn't Jose being right, but Jose not doing his job well.
Shaw proves every manager wrong for a half season. Then gets out of shape again. He's done the same thing with Ten Hag that he did with Moyes, LVG, Ole, Rangnick.

Shaw is another one who clearly doesn't take being a professional athlete seriously in terms of his body composition. In the modern game it's alot harder to carry excess weight and expect your body to be able to keep up with the demands and exertion.

Sancho and Shaw both fit in the same category of not wanting to be an elite athlete more than they want a cheese burger.

AshRK

Training performances = Conducting yourself well in training?
According to Jadon Sancho. His conduct wS not even questioned. He just chose to be upset for the sake of it.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
But at the same time Ten Hag does this thing where he doesn't give a shit about players he didn't sign and he throws them to the wolves with his tactics (that they can't do) and his comments, instead of realising that you have to get the best out of all the players at your disposal if you're going to be successful.
Nah thats nonsense. He criticises the collective.

He has protected Sancho and Martial and highlighted them for undeserved individual praise at times.

Superden

Manager is asked a question about a player. Manager answers with a straight bat about the player needing to do better in training. Player posts a cryptic message which may or may not be directed at the manager's comments.

Nothing has been said since by the club or the player.

The outrage machine that is social media and fan forums have been outraging - about the player's reaction, the manager's answer and now, about the drama that was created in the first place by social media and fan forums.

If it wasn't sad, it would be funny.
it always comes back to this....

:lol:

And Bruno is you know, actually doing the fun little punishment.

However, in the background there’s a bloke being paid hundred’s of thousands a week that is basically cheating it like I did at 14 years old.