Erik ten Hag vs Sancho

alexthelion

You know, the phrases managers dish out all the time. It's really basic leadership practice, surround your criticism with praise. That concept even has a name (Harvard Sandwich approach). Give the recipient the impression he's valued and avoid that he feels humiliated, especially when other people are listening (as in this case).
Like saying he would be in contention for a place the following week?

alexthelion

"I just want to talk about the players in the squad today."

Go back to Manchester. If Sancho has an issue, sit down with him Monday morning.

Simple.
You really believe that ETH had said nothing to Sancho before this?

What about his extended 'holiday' last season?

Stabra

Just out of curiosity, a question for the people who want to get rid of Sancho immediately in January, imagine the following:
Sancho's price is now around 35-40 million because the whole world knows that MU doesn't plan with him and wants to get rid of him at any price. In January, only 2 clubs show interest and are willing to buy him for that price. If Sancho is not sold to one of these two clubs, his price will drop to 20 million in the summer.
The two clubs in question are Liverpool and ManCity.
So the question is:
Do you sell him to one of them because he sucks anyway (Antony is better, works harder) and is a petulant little bastard (too big an ego, doesn't integrate into the team, doesn't apologise to the manager) so one of the rivals suffers too?
Or are you afraid that Klopp/Pep will somehow get to grips with him so that he is suddenly back in top form, so that you are prepared to take a major financial loss but wait until the summer to sell him at a lower price but not to Klopp/Pep?

gaffs

But sancho tweeting about something he need not have made the matter worse. Imagine had he not even shared anything and just like any other professional individual kept his head down and worked hard , maybe he would have been playing now.
The manager should know his players.

Sancho doesn't strike me as one that would react well to being publicly shamed.

You start calling out players individually, it can have an unsettling effect on the group.

gaffs

Pep didn't have any credit in the bank when he started his Barca career and quickly shipped out Ronaldinho, made players like Henry and Eto'o play in unfavoured positions and conform to his new way of playing. It's plain double standards with an added pinch of hindsight.

I'm not even getting into him 'calling players out pubically" because that never happened; and he has quite obviously tried to keep this in-house for as long as possible; at some point questions need to be answered.
No credit in the bank? :lol:

Man was a Barcelona legend. Valdes, Pique, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Busquets already idolized him. Plus, he had done well with Barca B before taking the big job. He wasnt creating public spats with anyone.

Henry was on Gary Lineker's podcast last week. He said "Wenger was the manager that opened my brain, Pep opened my eyes". The respect was there.

GreatDane

Just out of curiosity, a question for the people who want to get rid of Sancho immediately in January, imagine the following:
Sancho's price is now around 35-40 million because the whole world knows that MU doesn't plan with him and wants to get rid of him at any price. In January, only 2 clubs show interest and are willing to buy him for that price. If Sancho is not sold to one of these two clubs, his price will drop to 20 million in the summer.
So the question is:
Do you sell him to one of them because he sucks anyway (Antony is better, works harder) and is a petulant little bastard (too big an ego, doesn't integrate into the team, doesn't apologise to the manager) so one of the rivals suffers too?
Or are you afraid that Klopp/Pep will somehow get to grips with him so that he is suddenly back in top form, so that you are prepared to take a major financial loss but wait until the summer to sell him at a lower price but not to Klopp/Pep?
Pep got rid of him once before and Klopp likes players who fights, not too worried about that scenario.

Need SA to take him of our hands, maybe he'll accept their offer in Jan.

miked99

Jesus this guy is pathetic. What a weak-minded, egotistical little baby.

"Waaah, the manager likes another player better than me. I'll show him who's the better player, by making no effort in training. That'll teach him. Oh no, it didn't work" *shocked Pikachu face*

I grew up watching warriors like Robson, Keane, Bruce, Hughes, Rooney....insert your own examples here. And now we've got the likes of this pathetic child.

How can we ever hope to succeed when this is the mentality of the players we have in the dressing room. Sancho just needs to feck off from this club.

the_cliff

So the question is:
I'm willing to bet any amount of money that both of those teams won't be interested.

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
So the question is:
It would never happen because city wouldn’t have him back at any price, liverpool wouldn’t even contemplate paying him anything near his ridiculous current salary and united wouldn’t subsidise his salary if he were at the dippers.
And £35 - £40 million? For a player with his notable lack of effect when played, half arsed deplorable attitude and off-field antics?
The football world has looked on with mirth while he’s pulled united’s pants down and I’m guessing you’d be lucky to get £30 million unless you committed to paying at least half his wages.
I’m also guessing that any team brave enough or daft enough to buy him will come to regret it.

You must have what he might have become in your head but what he’s actually become is a player who flatlined then went into a death spin.

Think about it this way, if United had known that he’d go backwards like like he has, do you think they’d have bought him at any price?
IMO they’d have avoided him like the plague, as will other clubs now.

You’d have had more chance of getting £35 million for beanz mate.

criticalanalysis

I'm sorry guys but we won't agree here. It is just plain stupid to say something like this in such a situation. You don't take disagreements with your players to the public like this. Give a diplomatic answer, let the media speculate, criticize in private but stand in front of your team publicly. If he didn't see such a reaction coming, it makes it even worse because he seemingly completely misjudged just how frustrated one of his protegees was.
Perhaps ETH wasn't perfect with his answer and did 'wrong'. If we want to attribute a number to that, I will generously give 5/10 in terms of how 'bad' his response was with 10/10 being completely objectively wrong. Likewise, you could make the argument that a professional football deciding to respond to a single sentence from his manager on a public platform that he doesn't use frequently (hence highlighting how serious he had thought it was to address) could be a 9/10 in how bad he responded.

If ETH was stupid, then Sancho's response was insane.

Unless you're expecting ETH to never make mistakes and have perfect hindsight, your beef shouldn't be with ETH and to criticise him, it's with Sancho. However, as we know from your frequent bias takes on Sancho, your clear objective is to deflect and take the argument of anyone but Sancho being wrong.

As for misjudgement, just look at the Ronaldo situation. Short of playing him every single game and every minute, ETH was extremely diplomatic in front of the media whilst also have standards as a manager and couldn't have done more on an individual level. How did Ronaldo react then? Unprecedentedly, similar to a way Sancho has. Like others have suggested, he could have told the boss to feck off in private and say he would like to leave but instead he made it a public issue more than it had to be AND he still hasn't decided to back down.

It tells us more of Ronaldo and Sancho's intentions from the very beginning. ETH's one sentence was just the catalyst that was always going to happen because the player on the receiving end was never happy enough to accept the status quo.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
So the question is:
You sell him to the highest bidder and have done with the little petulant toss pot. You might as well imagine him riding off one a white unicorn while you’re at it because this lad doesn’t have the mentality to make it anywhere he’s accountable for his actions.

Overhaul FC

Ten Hag clearly keeps a live hitlist, and one by one he goes after a player in the squad to get rid of.

It's what is needed. When he first came in he got rid of some big wins and let some contracts run out.

Now it's more difficult as we have got rid of most of the deadwood. I think it could be argued that there's only Maguire left as a definite has to go player, and maybe Martial because he seems like he won't get over his injury issues.

The next worst players are decent, Sancho, McTominay, AWB or Malacia who hasn't shown that he'll displace Luke Shaw.

The key for Ten Hag to be successful in his overhaul would be for the replacement players to be better than the ones leaving. Some have proven too average like Antony and Malacia.

Casemiro, Amrabat, Martinez, Onana, Eriksen and Hojlund have either proved they added value or they will do as time goes on.

The January window and especially the summer window is key for Ten Hag to be successful. Otherwise the squad is too average to achieve anything other than just about make the top 4.

With Martinez and Varane's injury problems we need one top CB to replace Maguire, a top RW to replace Sancho. With potentially Greenwood coming back as a 2nd choice striker or RW rotation player.

What makes me think it will still happen is Eric's hitlist. It exists and it's prepared to cull average players for better ones. The question is can we scout and agree the deals with the right players that can come in and raise our ceiling for quality of player?

Last summer we raised the floor by getting rid of some rubbish but January or the summer will be his last chance to raise the ceiling to the required level to fight for trophies again.

Reactions: Dargonk

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'd say Sancho is massively at fault. But he's not the only one at fault. Players having a cr@p attitude under ETH is becoming a problem. He seems to struggle to prevent players from downing tools when it gets tough.
Bizarre link there. These players have crap attitude - not because of Ten Hagg. We've craved a manager who set standards and takes no shit.

If the players want to down tools, despite being in the position they are in, then Ten Hagg magnifying that can only be a good thing. I do not want these players at our club.

redcucumber

Bizarre link there. These players have crap attitude - not because of Ten Hagg. We've craved a manager who set standards and takes no shit.

If the players want to down tools, despite being in the position they are in, then Ten Hagg magnifying that can only be a good thing. I do not want these players at our club.
Exactly. As if he walked into the perfect situation with the team brimming with the right characters. Klopp and Arteta had a similar thing during their rebuild, as any manager will. There's always going to be an awkward period with issues flaring up when you've got players from previous managers still knocking about having never made a strong claim to be a regular first teamer. It's what a squad rebuild typically entails. Find it incredible that people are using the Sancho situation as a stick to beat ten Hag with.

sepulturite

Some posters agenda against EtH is really showing in this thread :rolleyes: how anyone could side with Sancho on this is beyond me.

Thom Merrilin

So the question is:
What a strange hypothetical. Neither Pep or Klopp would go anywhere near Sancho right now.

Anyways, to answer your question yes I'd sell him to City or Liverpool or any club in the world. You can't build a squad based on "what ifs", that's how you end up with players such as Jones sticking around for years too long.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
"I just want to talk about the players in the squad today."

Go back to Manchester. If Sancho has an issue, sit down with him Monday morning.

Simple.
That literally makes it sounds worse :lol: "I'm hiding something about him". He gave an honest answer, made clear it wasn't a matter of discipline, and if Sancho doesn't hit send on the tweet it would be forgotten about by now. Probably started our last few games.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
People who assume Liverpool or City will go anywhere near Sancho :lol::lol::lol:

Grande

I think it depends completely on the situation. Take the Rashford case for example. He was in top form full of confidence, in a position of strength, and his misconduct was a very factual one - you are either punctual or you are too late. There's no room for interpretation or disagreement. In this case, you have a player probably shot of confidence who is seemingly in disagreement with the manager's opinion on a subjective matter and just had to take a severe hit by not being nominated. One player was in the "alright, I behaved wrong and accept the consequences" mood while the other probably rather in a "give it a break, why always me?" one. Now of course that's also a mindset question and we all know which one is the "right one" but if you are in a leadership position, you should seek the blame with you and accept the characters that you're dealing with.
Yes, those are some possible hypotheses. Others are more along the lines of one player being weakened by political campaigns, injury doubts and overly dead seriousness eating at his confidence and focus, he needed some simplicity and a glove to his face and got racing. The other may have had two years of pampering, guidance, tailoring, individual programs, treatment, stroking, talking-to, and not improving from any of it due to attitude problems. If you have tried everything but one thing to make a £70m player function adequatly, mybe that’s when you try the last thing regrdless of wether you are sure that’s going to have a positive effect or not. At some point, everything has to have been tried, surely?

wolvored

So the question is:
Pep sold him and didnt bid for him back from Dortmund, so they wont be after him. I doubt Liverpool will as well. So that scenario is ridiculous.
Here Chelsea bid £100 mill for Sancho, do we keep or sell? Answers on a postcard to Match of the day, BBC, London.

Pronewbie

Peep
Some posters agenda against EtH is really showing in this thread :rolleyes: how anyone could side with Sancho on this is beyond me.
They have the same mindset as Sancho and/or maybe haven't been in a managerial position. The Sancho-type are toxic to a team's productivity, morale and unity at work. They just want to coast with minimal effort and are usually a burden. When called out by a well-meaning manager to buck up after repeated cajoling / 1-on-1 sessions, they throw their toys out of the pram and try to convince team members to go against the manager. You can't win with this sort, you just have to kick them out of the team when possible.

ETH is already being very patient.

Last edited:

Grande

So you’re unable to separate yourself from a guy you think is so much worse than you and then expect sympathy from anyone? C'mon :lol:

Someone of his supposed caliber would've been expected to outplay and outgraft those in the way of a starting spot instead of throwing in the towel and crying to the press...
How trustworthy is this source, do you know? It would make Sancho sound pretty naive if he can’t see what Antony trumps him in terms of adding to the high pressing, low pressing, being an active outlet from defence and just plain intensity and attitude. It would make me worry about his mental potential for ever improving himself.

RedCheekz

Needs be sold! Unfortunately the transfer hasn’t worked out. He has had enough time to settle, he’s not over night going to turn into a different player.

He does have good ball technique but he is way too passive , afraid take people on.

Let’s be honest we all thought was signing a lad who would tear defences apart. He ain’t that player and it’s time he move on.

bitcoin

If Sancho can't see why Antony gets consistently picked, then he's clearly a few fries short of a happy meal. It's the same reason that Licha, Dalot, Bruno, and more recently Hannibal, Hojlund, Amrabat and Pellestri are getting picked. They just work harder.

Sancho cannot be bothered to earn his place in the team and finds it easier to make excuses for not putting the effort in.

Time to jettison this waste of space.

Last edited:

Son

A former Barcelona captain that had just had an impressive season with the young squad of the same club and had the backing of some of the most powerful and influential figures in the history of the club had no credit in the bank? And besides, he did not come out of the gate criticizing players in public as a young coach, which is what this is about, not merely shipping players out or adjusting formations. He won everything almost immediately, solidifying his position and influence at the club and in the dressing room. The rest is history.

Even if, as you say, "questions need to be answered", the issue here is whether this was the right time to answer in that kind of public manner with everything else already going on a the club. Despite suggestions to the contrary, he could have found a way to deflect, so what did ETH hope to accomplish by doing it at that moment? Motivate the player? Make an example to set standards for other players? Alienate a locker room cancer? Give the media fodder to try to distract from other ongoing issues at the club?

Part of being the United manger is having media literary, dealing with their BS and managing the enormous spotlight that is placed on the club, so hopefully he incorporates whatever lessons are to be had from this episode into his approach in the future.
Who cares anyway? Sancho has been garbage for us. It’s not like we’re booting out Keane, Ruud or Beckham is it?

Sancho is a nobody compared to players who’ve been shown the door in the past. He is a non entity. Ship him out get a new attacker in. Easy decision.

gaffs

That literally makes it sounds worse :lol: "I'm hiding something about him". He gave an honest answer, made clear it wasn't a matter of discipline, and if Sancho doesn't hit send on the tweet it would be forgotten about by now. Probably started our last few games.
How?

I somehow think if he had played it with a straight bat, it would not have been back page of every paper the next day.

Stabra

What a strange hypothetical. Neither Pep or Klopp would go anywhere near Sancho right now.

Anyways, to answer your question yes I'd sell him to City or Liverpool or any club in the world. You can't build a squad based on "what ifs", that's how you end up with players such as Jones sticking around for years too long.
It was indeed just a hypothetical scenario. I wanted to know if people think Sancho is beyond saving and will never return to the highest level, or if it is still possible in another team with another manager. And if the answer is the latter, then what is being missed at MU to integrate such a fragile character?

Taribo's Gap

Who cares anyway? Sancho has been garbage for us. It’s not like we’re booting out Keane, Ruud or Beckham is it?

Sancho is a nobody compared to players who’ve been shown the door in the past. He is a non entity. Ship him out get a new attacker in. Easy decision.
I mean, isn't that the point? If Sancho is such a supposedly nothing player, why even bother creating yet another headache over him with everything else going on? What of value was to be achieved for the betterment of the team overall in that moment?

Just deflect, move on and focus on the many other issues at the club. Even if Sancho hasn't performed on the pitch he is still capable of disrupting squad harmony, adding to scrutiny and adding more pressure in an already-tense environment.

If he is a non-entity as you say, then ETH's answer has contributed to making a non-entity an entity, judging by the length of this thread. The question here isn't even over the decision to ship Sancho out or not. If that is the desired course of action, you still have to manage it the right way.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Regardless of the rights and wrongs, Sancho has proven himself to be a mentally weak individual and that alone should be enough to be shown the door.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think we should try to loan him out first, given he is still on long length of contract here and selling him right now would result in huge loss. It’s just like what Athletico is trying to do with Joao Félix. If he find back his form elsewhere we might be able to sell him for good price.

fallengt

I mean, isn't that the point? If Sancho is such a supposedly nothing player, why even bother creating yet another headache over him with everything else going on? What of value was to be achieved for the betterment of the team overall in that moment?

Just deflect, move on and focus on the many other issues at the club. Even if Sancho hasn't performed on the pitch he is still capable of disrupting squad harmony, adding to scrutiny and adding more pressure in an already-tense environment.

If he is a non-entity as you say, then ETH's answer has contributed to making a non-entity an entity, judging by the length of this thread. The question here isn't even over the decision to ship Sancho out or not. If that is the desired course of action, you still have to manage it the right way.
what are you suggesting then?
- Lies about Sancho's training, just say he's ultra sick > Next day people see on Playstation Network, playing for the achievement "badges". So ETH'd put himself in position that he would be a proven liar? Consider to the fact that Sancho has mentality of 16 years old & unpredictable
- Sell in him Jan. His name was on market last summer, no suitor.

Do I have to remind everyone that Sancho started this himself? What are manager & club supposed to do? Kneel before his majesty, grand duke of fifaland, first of his name?

Last edited:

Taribo's Gap

what are you suggesting then?
- Lies about Sancho's training, just say he's ultra sick > Next day people see on Playstation Network, playing for the achievement "badges". So ETH'd put himself in position that he would be a proven liar? Consider to the fact that Sancho has mentality of 16 years old & unpredictable
- Sell in him Jan. His name was on market last summer, no suitor.

Do I have to remind everyone that Sancho started this himself? What are manager & club supposed to do? Kneel before his majesty, grand duke of fifaland, first of his name?
I already put my suggestion in this thread (below), not that I'm perfectly informed or an expert or anything. ETH has stretched the truth about other stuff, so I don't see a problem lying, bending the truth or managing optics about this if it's more ideal for the team overall in that moment. Even in the scenario you lay out there is still plausible deniability and speculation as opposed to an outright open media pissing war between the manager and an immature player.

Again, I think everyone is aware that Jadon has an immature mentality. ETH should have been aware as well and factored that into how he addressed the issue. Maybe he anticipated this eventuality and didn't care, who knows. It doesn't matter who started it, this is not tit for tat and Jadon and ETH are not peers. I'm not even sure what you can definitively point to as "starting" this whole debacle. The manger of the club should look out for the best interest of the team and club overall. The club should probably stop signing players to ridiculous, unmovable contracts, but that is another issue.

ETH could have just said that it was merely a tactical decision and emphasized the good qualities of players in the squad that he hoped to utilize to win the match, as opposed to shining a light on Jadon's deficiencies. It's still BS, but perhaps might have avoided all of the furor.

Edit: If it' true this happened right after a bust up between them, he could have even sprinkled in some more BS about "Jadon had a really good preseason blah blah, but we thought XYZ traits from XYZ player would give us the best chance this game." Then when he saw him later, be slightly rougher give him the "Look kid, I'm not out to get you, but I need to see XYZ from you, you little punk." Obviously, I don't know the whole dynamic between them and don't know what he's already tried with Jadon.