Nordic Ghost Yeti | Haaland at City

Zen86

Only because we should have moved heaven and earth to make him our player not folded at the mention of a release clause. I understood refusing for Reguilon but not for this guy.
He would still be at City right now even if we had signed him. He’d have done his 2 years here and moved on, which is exactly why we didn’t sign him.

Dingo

Supports
Haaland
It’s not (just) Haaland. What you have is a very carefully curated Man City team which - under Pep - is a different beast to anything we saw before in the PL. It’s the old Barcelona tiki-taka dominance but with Pep having had 10+ years to truly perfect it, and an open chequebook to build the perfect team.

Enter Haaland, one of the most complete and clinical strikers we have seen in a long time, whose sole job in the team (unlike any of their previous strikers) is to simply convert those chances. It’s a perfect storm.
An open chequebook. But yet, still do fantastic business signing guys for cheap such as Alvarez, Gomez and Akanji who come in and look fantastic. While other teams spend way more on players who ride the bench.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
No chance
might not have made us title contenders but would have guaranteed top four - this guy not only scores half chances, he seems to score from 1% chances. Have to admit, he's wonderful to watch. Let's just be grateful he seemed to give the dippers even less thought than he did us!

Dyslexic Untied

It’s not (just) Haaland. What you have is a very carefully curated Man City team which - under Pep - is a different beast to anything we saw before in the PL. It’s the old Barcelona tiki-taka dominance but with Pep having had 10+ years to truly perfect it, and an open chequebook to build the perfect team.

Enter Haaland, one of the most complete and clinical strikers we have seen in a long time, whose sole job in the team (unlike any of their previous strikers) is to simply convert those chances. It’s a perfect storm.
Agree completely. "Perfect storm" is the exact phrase I've used too in discussions with friends on this subject.

Ladron de redcafe

Van Nistelrooy in 2002-03 and Salah in 2017-18 have the most goals in a season ( all competitions) by someone playing in the English top flight in the Premier League era.
Haaland is surely going to shatter that.

For context, he's on 19 goals in 12 (!) matches.
He as 22 goal contributions in early October.

Judas

Open to offers
At this point the Haaland express would have already rolled through OT and moved on. We'd probably have a FA Cup to reminisce about, if we were lucky.

Just so sick of the crying over us not getting him, the inability to move on is astonishing.

TheGame

It's up to EPL managers to find a way to stop him or the service to him. Granted it's easier said than done but it seems this season more than ever, teams have already lost before the game begins at the Ethiad.

erikcred

I’m a little bit worried about what he’s going to do against us in 10 days.
Pep could easily outthink himself because of his fear of Anfield and play Haaland in goal because of his height. But if not, the best you can hope for is a gentle 0-3 spanking.

troylocker

Van Nistelrooy in 2002-03 and Salah in 2017-18 have the most goals in a season ( all competitions) by someone playing in the English top flight in the Premier League era.
Haaland is surely going to shatter that.

For context, he's on 19 goals in 12 (!) matches.
He as 22 goal contributions in early October.
The record (RVN and Salah) is 44 goals in all comps. Ruud played 4345 minutes and Salah played 4119 minutes those seasons. Some more context behind the record: RVN scored 11 penalties and assisted 7 for us that season, while Salah only scored 1 penalty and assisted 16.
Messi played 5221 minutes in his record 73 goals (14 penalties) for Barca season.

If Haaland doesn't slow down (continues to score at the rate he's been so far this season - 1,78 goals/90 and only 1 penalty) and plays 4119 minutes this season, he will score 82 goals in all comps this season (86 if he plays 4345 minutes)!
That record will change hands this season, unless he picks up a 4 months + injury.

Stacks

A god. Best player in the world by a significant margin. I remember someone here he is not as good as RVN was. :lol:
Do you not think RVN would do the same under these circumstances and Haaland would have less playing in our old United team? United rarely dominated teams the way City do and pretty much just flung crosses into the box. RVN had a much more rounded game than Haaland who just seems to be at the end of crosses and tap ins etc.
RVN, touch, dribbling and close control is far superior to Haaland's and he was better at hold up. What do you think Haaland is better at than RVN?
Skip past the first minute and see how RVN and Henry has more diverse game than Haaland

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
A god. Best player in the world by a significant margin. I remember someone here he is not as good as RVN was. :lol:
Is that funny? The quality of goal he is getting isn't as high as Ruud. Ruud scored 44 goals in one season, 10 league games in a row. Why is it funny? Because it's a long time ago?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The record (RVN and Salah) is 44 goals in all comps. Ruud played 4345 minutes and Salah played 4119 minutes those seasons. Some more context behind the record: RVN scored 11 penalties and assisted 7 for us that season, while Salah only scored 1 penalty and assisted 16.
Messi played 5221 minutes in his record 73 goals (14 penalties) for Barca season.

If Haaland doesn't slow down (continues to score at the rate he's been so far this season - 1,78 goals/90 and only 1 penalty) and plays 4119 minutes this season, he will score 82 goals in all comps this season (86 if he plays 4345 minutes)!
That record will change hands this season, unless he picks up a 4 months + injury.
He will slow down. You dont expect triple hatttricks every month.

But if 44 is the bar he'll easily break it even at 70% rate or even 50%

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What Haaland does best is simplest and more basic techniques in football done to perfection. His feint, his moves, his coordination, vision is what happens when you put an AI as striker. Simple yet effective

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
As much as he plays for a big rival I’m genuinely intrigued as to how many he can score this season.
A part of me wants it to be an insane number. I don’t know why, it’s like witnessing something incredible.
actually it’s not like witnessing something incredible it really is watching it happen in real time.
Same. I want him to go ballistic and break all kinds of crazy records.

Stacks

Is that funny? The quality of goal he is getting isn't as high as Ruud. Ruud scored 44 goals in one season, 10 league games in a row. Why is it funny? Because it's a long time ago?
exactly. its mostly poacher tap ins and doesn't create his own shot with skill in the way Ruud could. If Ruud played in this City side it would be EXACTLY the same

Ladron de redcafe

It isn't sustainable. He has to slow down at some point, but he's at an all-time record-breaking pace, as you pointed out, so even if he does slow down a bit, there's a chance he'll have a historic output at the end.

TsuWave

fecking hell. People are already so insufferable about this guy. A striker scoring a bunch of goals with the level of service at City isn’t necessarily shocking. I mean when you think of how many Sterling scored, despite often being wasteful.

troylocker

Do you not think RVN would do the same under these circumstances and Haaland would have less playing in our old United team? United rarely dominated teams the way City do and pretty much just flung crosses into the box. RVN had a much more rounded game than Haaland who just seems to be at the end of crosses and tap ins etc.
RVN, touch, dribbling and close control is far superior to Haaland's and he was better at hold up. What do you think Haaland is better at than RVN?
Skip past the first minute and see how RVN and Henry has more diverse game than Haaland
Absolutely not. When Ruud set his record and scored 44 goals (11 penalties) and assisted 7 for us we scored 130 goals in all comps that season. He would probably have around Aguero numbers in that team, but not even close to Haaland numbers.
You can die on this hill if you want. That's your choice, but they're just not in the same bracket. Ruud was a world class golascorer, but they're just on different planets when it comes to finding the back of the net. Haaland is 12 goals away from beating Ruuds PL record of 25 goals in a season 8 games in.....

troylocker

He will slow down. You dont expect triple hatttricks every month.

But if 44 is the bar he'll easily break it even at 70% rate or even 50%
He'll actually break it at a 30% rate.
It seems hard to believe that it's sutainable and I don't believe it before I see it, but then again he's only 22 and just came into the squad. They will continue to create chances, so why would he slow down? Scary thought.

troylocker

fecking hell. People are already so insufferable about this guy. A striker scoring a bunch of goals with the level of service at City isn’t necessarily shocking. I mean when you think of how many Sterling scored, despite often being wasteful.
Yeah!
Sterling's record is 20 PL goals in a season, Aguero's record is 26 in the same team.
Haaland has now scored 14 in his first 8 games in the toughest league in the world, he's scored 28 goals in his first 1668 minutes (more than 1,5 goals per 90) in the champions league and he's just turned 22.
I mean, we've seen it so many times before. With the likes of Pele in the regionals Leagues in Brazil in the '50s and in a couple of purple patches with peak Messi and peak Ronaldo with the best ever teams around them in the 2010s.
Hardly worth talking about or discussing really.

cafecillos

I've moaned about the over-the-top comments some are posting (best ever, 7,500 career goals, etc), but he is definitely not just a tap-in merchant. He has scored several goals this season already that probably no other active player would.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yeah!
Sterling's record is 20 PL goals in a season, Aguero's record is 26 in the same team.
Haaland has now scored 14 in his first 8 games in the toughest league in the world, he's scored 28 goals in his first 1668 minutes (more than 1,5 goals per 90) in the champions league and he's just turned 22.
I mean, we've seen it so many times before. With the likes of Pele in the regionals Leagues in Brazil in the '50s and in a couple of purple patches with peak Messi and peak Ronaldo with the best ever teams around them in the 2010s.
To be honest - Sterling or Aguero never had Grealish, Silva/Gundogan , De Bruyne, and Foden all wrapped around him setting him up.

Chief123

I’m a little bit worried about what he’s going to do against us in 10 days.
I’m intrigued to see how Liverpool and Arsenal play against City to gauge how much of a bad performance we had against them.

Stacks

Absolutely not. When Ruud set his record and scored 44 goals (11 penalties) and assisted 7 for us we scored 130 goals in all comps that season. He would probably have around Aguero numbers in that team, but not even close to Haaland numbers.
You can die on this hill if you want. That's your choice, but they're just not in the same bracket. Ruud was a world class golascorer, but they're just on different planets when it comes to finding the back of the net. Haaland is 12 goals away from beating Ruuds PL record of 25 goals in a season 8 games in.....
I dont have the total comp stats but I can see United scored 74 in the league that season when Ruud hit 44 which is less than Arsenal. City WITHOUT A STRIKER scored 99 in the league last season. Not even comparable. They scored 102 premier league goals in 2020. Aguero scored like 16 league goals so thats an insult. Van Nistelrooy was NEVER part of a team like that and absolutely would score at the same rate in a team that could score over 100 league goals before he even got there. What exactly is Haaland better at specifically?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Why can people not just enjoy what is a sublime class goal scorer.

Yeah he plays for City, and yeah he should have been playing for us, but in very much the same vein as Ronaldo v Messi arguments, just shut up and enjoy witnessing a master at work!

He's class, simple as, and it hurts to watch someone at City be this good, but it is what it is.

Chief123

Why can people not just enjoy what is a sublime class goal scorer.

Yeah he plays for City, and yeah he should have been playing for us, but in very much the same vein as Ronaldo v Messi arguments, just shut up and enjoy witnessing a master at work!

He's class, simple as, and it hurts to watch someone at City be this good, but it is what it is.
Because some people believe you are not a Utd fan if you aren’t bitter and disgusted at him performing well for Man City. You are not allowed to appreciate footballing talent outside of Utd.

TsuWave

Yeah!
The post you quoted includes the sentence “A striker scoring a bunch of goals with the level of service at City isn’t necessarily shocking. I mean when you think of how many Sterling scored, despite often being wasteful.”

and at no point was implied that it didn’t merit discussion, simply that it was insufferable because 1. people were referring to Haaland as “a god” and 2. people were laughing at RvN

you read all that and still decided to reply in a passive aggressive sassy high-school mean girl like manner. Crazy.

Last edited:

troylocker

To be honest - Sterling or Aguero never had Grealish, Silva/Gundogan , De Bruyne, and Foden all wrapped around him setting him up.
Don't you think KDB, David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Sane, Fernandinho, Gundo, Sterling privided Aguero enough service? They scored 100+ goals and got 100 points in the league alone. Foden can end up with 20 goals himself this season, and the others still takes their shots as well. He usually finishes between 20-30% of their chances, just like Aguero did.

Against us he had 6 out of 22 shots
Against Copenhagen he had 4 out of 30
Against Wolves he had 2 out of 16
Against Dortmund he had 3 out of 12
Against Sevilla he had 7 out of 24
Against Villa he had 3 out of 11
Against Forrest he had 4 out of 17
Against Palace he had 7 out of 17
Against Newcastle he had 4 out of 21
Against Bournemouth he had 2 out of 19
Against Bournemouth he had 5 out of 14

Total 46 shots out of their 203 shots so far this season (22,6%), so even though he's scored 47,5% of their goals this season, so it's not like they are trying to find him every time.

For comparison:
Haaland averages 4,38 shots per 90 minutes so far in the Premier League this season, while City averages 17,5 shots per 90 (25%). He's scored 14 of City's 29 goals in 8 games (48%)
Aguero averaged 4,7 shots per 90 in the Premier league between 2014 and 2020 season while City averaged 17,6 shots per 90 (27%) in that period. He scored 128 of City's 405 goals in the 176 games he played in that period (32%)
The service crew still takes their chances like before, but Haaland is just that much better at getting into the right positions and finishing off those chances.

Last edited:

troylocker

I dont have the total comp stats but I can see United scored 74 in the league that season when Ruud hit 44 which is less than Arsenal. City WITHOUT A STRIKER scored 99 in the league last season. Not even comparable. They scored 102 premier league goals in 2020. Aguero scored like 16 league goals so thats an insult. Van Nistelrooy was NEVER part of a team like that and absolutely would score at the same rate in a team that could score over 100 league goals before he even got there. What exactly is Haaland better at specifically?
We scored 130 goals in all comps the season Ruud scored 44 (25 in the league and 11 penalties), City scored 148 in all comps last season.

Many thinks we didn't score more because of Ruud. Because he was to much of a focal point in our attack, and that took our total output down in stead of adding to it. Look at the numbers in my last post and think about it one more time.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Don't you think KDB, David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Sane, Fernandinho, Gundo, Sterling privided Aguero enough service? They scored 100+ goals and got 100 points in the league alone. Foden can end up with 20 goals himself this season, and the others still takes their shots as well. He usually finishes between 20-30% of their chances, just like Aguero did.

Against us he had 6 out of 22 shots
Against Copenhagen he had 4 out of 30
Against Wolves he had 2 out of 16
Against Dortmund he had 3 out of 12
Against Sevilla he had 7 out of 24
Against Villa he had 3 out of 11
Against Forrest he had 4 out of 17
Against Palace he had 7 out of 17
Against Newcastle he had 4 out of 21
Against Bournemouth he had 2 out of 19
Against Bournemouth he had 5 out of 14

Total 46 shots out of their 203 shots so far this season (22,6%), so even though he's scored 47,5% of their goals this season, so it's not like they are trying to find him every time.

For comparison:
Haaland averages 4,38 shots per 90 minutes so far in the Premier League this season, while City averages 17,5 shots per 90 (25%). He's scored 14 of City's 29 goals in 8 games (48%)
Aguero averaged 4,7 shots per 90 in the Premier league between 2014 and 2020 season while City averaged 17,6 shots per 90 (27%) in that period. He scored 128 of City's 405 goals in 176 games he played in that period (32%)
The service crew still takes their chances like before, but Haaland is just that much better at getting into the right positions and finishing off those chances.
Well sure it’s Man City, but Haaland literally has 4 CAM’s setting him up in this team with Bernado Silva, De Bruyne, Grealish and Foden all setting up this poacher.

That’s different to how City played when they had players like Sterling and Sane as inverted forwards for example.

troylocker

The post you quoted includes the sentence “A striker scoring a bunch of goals with the level of service at City isn’t necessarily shocking. I mean when you think of how many Sterling scored, despite often being wasteful.”

and at no point was implied that it didn’t merit discussion, simply that it was insufferable because 1. people were referring to Haaland as “a god” and 2. people were laughing at RvN

you read all that and still decided to reply in a passive aggressive sassy high-school mean girl like manner. Crazy.
To the middle line:
1. Agreed.
2. Agreed. No need to laugh at a great striker like Ruud, but he wasn't nearly as good as Haaland and claiming he would do the same in that City team is just silly.

Sorry about the "passive agressive sassy high-school mean girl" tone in my reply to you.

troylocker

Well sure it’s Man City, but Haaland literally has 4 CAM’s setting him up in this team with Bernado Silva, De Bruyne, Grealish and Foden all setting up this poacher.

That’s different to how City played when they had players like Sterling and Sane as inverted forwards for example.
Why don't you just look at the numbers in the post? No need to stop reading after the first sentence and not read the evidence underneath.