g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Music Eurovision 2024

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
How many people voted from each of those countries?
There are not numbers available yet.

Lumping all the people of a country together while an absolute minority votes and the uninterested rest sleep peacefully is a stupid approach.
Do you think the votes would dramatically change if more people voted? When did that ever happen?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
So Isreal got second most public votes. Actually I am glad now that they allowed Israel to compete so we can all see with what kind of people and countries we generally share our continent with.

Belgium, France, UK, Finland, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK all gave them 12 points. Austria, Albania, Ireland, Slovenia, etc. with ten point for Israel.

Population of these countries just confirmed that they agree with how their goverments generally acted towards this war. And no, it's not a friendly neighbourhood country this year that got the sympathy, killing innocent muslim babies and women far away on the west will get you far more public sympathy this time. Racist Europe continues to be even worse than it ever was.
Missing the extremely important context that many people who would not vote for Israel boycotted the entire contest this year. They didn't vote.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I mean, your country voted against Palestine UN membership just two days ago.
as I said, we've voted in some shite governments. Doesn't mean you can make blanket statements about our entire population.

Well, you can, but it's really not solving anything.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I think you're massively underestimating the level of boycott. The Eurovision is a non event here this year.
Boycott or not, it's the ESC, not some grand democratic process. There's a very particular group of people paying attention to and voting in it. It's not representative of anything

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Missing the extremely important context that many people who would not vote for Israel boycotted the entire contest this year. They didn't vote.
That would be great, but I seriously doubt many people even boycotted the contest. We'll see when the viewing and voting numbers come out I guess.

90 + 5min

So Isreal got second most public votes. Actually I am glad now that they allowed Israel to compete so we can all see with what kind of people and countries we generally share our continent with.

Belgium, France, UK, Finland, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK all gave them 12 points. Austria, Albania, Ireland, Slovenia, etc. with ten point for Israel.

Population of these countries just confirmed that they agree with how their goverments generally acted towards this war. And no, it's not a friendly neighbourhood country this year that got the sympathy, killing innocent muslim babies and women far away on the west will get you far more public sympathy this time. Racist Europe continues to be even worse than it ever was.
Ridiculous. Calling europe racist because of some competition. You seem to not have been in lot of those countries. The amount of help some of those countries have given to people especially from middle east is massive. The amount of immigrant population being given help and hope is massive. To even mention racism is just wrong and people use it so casual this day it loses its real meaning.
People have already answered why the song got lot of points. And if we are being honest she sang it beautifle and was one of the best vocalist out there with France and Maybe some more.

Amir

People normally complain that there's too much politics in the Eurovision voting. Now they are saying there should have been more?

People liked a song and voted for it. So what.

CallyRed

It is well known that people who vote in elections/ referendums are massive Eurovision fans.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
And I still haven't even seen the performance :lol:

Arrived late in England yesterday. Went to M&S for my sandwich meal deal to take back to my hotel room. Ate my food, turned on the TV, saw the Irish performance - which I enjoyed, even if no one else did. Fell asleep.

Woke up a winner!

Not that anyone cares obviously.

My mind now turns to my trip this afternoon to the Women's FA Cup final. Would arriving late and falling asleep after five minutes, help us win?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I mean, your country voted against Palestine UN membership just two days ago.

0,2% of Europe populations are Jews.
But they are spread all over Europe and they all voted for their country massively. Other people even don't care for this competition or if they watch, they don't vote. It is just about fun.
For Israelis this was "national pride thing" and even their politicians invited all of them to vote. Population of 20k in some country will destroy in televoting especially because one person can vote 20 times. One family can bring you 100 votes.

It was "us vs them" moment. "Them" don't care for competition at all and "us" look at it as patriotic duty to be involved.

whitbyviking

I have to say, I find it hilarious that a competition which has always been defined by its complete lack of seriousness has ended up as a source of so much angst. If we’re going to get this much wailing and gnashing of teeth with every Eurovision surely the correct thing to do is to cancel the stupid thing?
This. It is a complete waste of time and money. It used to be funny to laugh at the political voting and it was always treated as unserious (see UK 90%+ of the time). But if it is indeed serious now, and maybe always was, then there is no way public funds should be used for this. They could use the millions to further fund some high quality journalism into political issues instead of the superficial dross they churn out.

Withnail

Not really at all. I've yet to meet a single person person in Ireland who supports what's happening in Israel. I don't hang out with any right wing gobshites.

And a massive amount of people refuse to watch the Eurovision at all ever because they think it's shite, which to be fair it is. And those that do watch don't all vote.

whitbyviking

Are you genuinely saying the minority, which I guarantee Eurovision voters are in all those countries, speak for the majority? Would you apply the same principle to every country and organisation, Hamas/Palestine for example? This blanket statement is a disgrace to be quite honest.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Europe has major issues with racism and its history no doubt. But you’re reading way too much into a singing competition that most people don’t care about, but which for this year the small cadre of unconditional Israel supporters were highly motivated to engage in (where they’d never be arsed before), and conversely where the rest of the vote was either boycotted or split between 24 other countries.

Laurencio

Problem with the technology
It is much easier to put cheers over the ambient track with a tightly controlled soundscape - such as a musical performance, than try to separate it out from a single source such as Osterdahl's microphone. It would have picked up the boos together with his voice, and then there is very little they can do to "cancel out" the booing live without also removing his voice.

Kaos

The irony is there would have been no where near as much controversy if they just banned the genocidal cnuts like they did the Russians, and the show would have gone on with everyone enjoying themselves, devoid of any real drama. Sure you would have had the usual Israeli apologists cry foul murder and toothless accusations of anti-semitism, but they would have best been ignored.

Instead we got an absolute shitshow.

RedDevilRoshi

I don’t really watch the performances. Only turn it on when the voting begins.

Were Switzerland deserved winners or was it rigged?

90 + 5min

Artist didn’t deserve from musical point of view. But I’m happy Nemo won because he/she look like a wonderful human. And in these world we need more of those people.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

The voting is really the only engaging bit. Glad someone else sees it a little like me.

ZupZup

I wouldn’t say undeserved but were it not for the mass pro-Israeli protest voting, Croatia would likely have won as they’d have picked up even more televote points than they did.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I didn’t watch it but I looked at a few of the favourites on YouTube and Croatia was by far the best, not sure how the jury can possibly give it to Switzerland which seemed fairly standard Eurovision affair in comparison?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't understand logic behind jury votes. Most of them gave 12s to Nemo but the rest of points were completely random. How come they can be on the same page regarding him but so different regarding others?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
And here I was thinking Eurovision was just a crap music based contest!

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I’m just amused at how some people seem to be taking it seriously.

It’s the fecking Eurovision ffs!

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Are you genuinely saying the minority, which I guarantee Eurovision voters are in all those countries, speak for the majority? Would you apply the same principle to every country and organisation, Hamas/Palestine for example? This blanket statement is a disgrace to be quite honest.
I don't think it's a minority though.

Ridiculous. Calling europe racist because of some competition. You seem to not have been in lot of those countries. The amount of help some of those countries have given to people especially from middle east is massive. The amount of immigrant population being given help and hope is massive. To even mention racism is just wrong and people use it so casual this day it loses its real meaning.
:lol:

It's good that you believe that.

Ok, then. So a bit of a stretch to claim that the voting in a song competition with unknown numbers of votes is representative of the overall opinion of countries with tens of millions of residents?
I guess we'll see if I was roght when the viewing and voting figures are out, but many of these countries are open Israel supporters without a doubt.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I’m just amused at how some people seem to be taking it seriously.

It’s the fecking Eurovision ffs!
It's basically the arts and entertainment champions league final. The same people who watch this will be wondering why people get so excited for 90 minutes of football.

GazTheLegend

Clearly I'm not going to be helpful in these politically charged discussions but I'd like to say I enjoyed quite a few songs this year! Of the ones I saw, the Irish, the Finnish, the Croatians seemed good. The Israeli entry was okay. The UK entry deserved far better than nil points but fair enough, 18th overall didn't seem too shabby. And finally the German singer was excellent. Musically therefore it was above par, but I fear the amount of effort the UK put in this year to get 18th means we might not bother so much next time which would be a shame.

Bert_

I don't think it's a minority though.
Based on what?

About 10% of the UK population watched the singing competition. A far smaller % will have actually voted in it. I imagine the figures will be similar (probably smaller) for other European nations.

Even if somehow, every viewer was watching solely to support Israel, how does that make a majority?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Based on what?

About 10% of the UK population watched the singing competition. A far smiler % will have actually voted in it. I imagine the figures will be similar (probably smaller) for other European nations.

In what world does that make a majority?
It gets ~150-200 million viewers worldwide, most of whom are obviously in Europe, so it's not exactly insignificant. But yes, extrapolating majority support for Israel from winning the viewer vote among 25 countries is clearly faulty logic. Israel supporters had one option, while Palestine supporters had 24. Literally the only thing it shows is how good hardcore Israel supporters in various countries were at organizing.