Everton deducted 10 points for PSR breach (reduced to 6) | Deducted further 2 points for second breach

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Probably means Luton will go down with Sheffield United & Burnley now.
Hopefully our boys can use this "cheating and getting away with it" as motivation and take advantage of the decent run in we have upcoming. We still need to play Everton and Forrest so hoping they'll be well up for that.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It should be done in the summer prior to the season beginning.
What should? The whole thing? Just the announcement of the punishment?

As I said, there are issues doing it in a summer too. Chiefly, it presenting a clear argument for any points deduction being applied to the season that's just finished and potentially leaving two clubs in limbo about which league they’ll be playing in until a decision can be made.

It also seems ridiculous that you’d actually deduct the points before establishing if that was the end of the matter.

If there’s an appeals process with any chance of adjusting the outcome surely you let that happen before acting.
Suppose the issue here was them appealing the severity of the punishment, and not the verdict itself.

Unless you're saying they should have privately been told of the punishment, then given the opportunity to either accept or appeal.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Hopefully our boys can use this "cheating and getting away with it" as motivation and take advantage of the decent run in we have upcoming. We still need to play Everton and Forrest so hoping they'll be well up for that.
You've dropped some silly points against teams in and around you I think? Losing to Sheffield United & Burnley? Definitely hurt you a bit.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's not really cheating and getting away with it, we have still been punished.

A Premier League statement read: "Everton FC appealed the sanction imposed against it on nine grounds, each of which related to the sanction rather than the fact of the breach."

"A three-person appeal board concluded that the independent commission which imposed the 10-point penalty "made legal errors" on two grounds.

It said the commission was "wrong" to punish Everton for being "less than frank" over what it told the Premier League about its new stadium debt.

The appeal board also said the commission was "wrong not to take into account available benchmarks" and that a six-point sanction was "broadly in line" with English Football League (EFL) guidelines, with Sheffield Wednesday's six-point deduction in 2020 when their losses were rising used as a guide.

Everton said the appeal board's decision to overturn the commission's finding that they failed to act in good faith was "an incredibly important point of principle".
I think this is fair considering everything.

I'm interested to see what happens to Forest though as apparently their breach is more.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

As I said, there are issues doing it in a summer too. Chiefly, it presenting a clear argument for any points deduction being applied to the season that's just finished and potentially leaving two clubs in limbo about which league they’ll be playing in until a decision can be made.
I think the fairest way to do it is to do it in the summer prior or post a season starting/ending so a team has those deductions already in place if that's going to be the case or they get them. It removes psychological stuff and makes it more so about football and what happens on the pitch. There is no easy or fair way to do it really so it's about trying to make it the fairest way.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I'm convinced this recent push by the PL to look hard for the cameras is simply trying to avoid the independent regulator being imposed on them.

Because why are you imposing punishments on sides who have pled guilty, only for those punishments to be easily alleviated upon appeal? What does that say about the rigor of the PL's case and punishment?

And what faith does this give you about their ongoing case against City, who are actually fighting it?

We continue to observe.
City will end up with a points addition

TheReligion

Abusive

Suppose the issue here was them appealing the severity of the punishment, and not the verdict itself.

Unless you're saying they should have privately been told of the punishment, then given the opportunity to either accept or appeal.
Yeah I think they should have been told then asked if they wished to appeal.

The whole thing could have been suspended pending the outcome.

Taking points away then adding them back is bizarre to me.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think the fairest way to do it is to do it in the summer prior or post a season starting/ending so a team has those deductions already in place if that's going to be the case or they get them. It removes psychological stuff and makes it more so about football and what happens on the pitch. There is no easy or fair way to do it really so it's about trying to make it the fairest way.
I'd argue that you only think this is the fairest way because it's the one with the least (obviously) negative impact on Everton.

Say this was done and dusted pre-season, Leicester fans certainly aren't going to look at your points deduction being applied to this season as the fairest way of handling it.

They'd (quite rightly, in my view), question why they're being relegated when the team that finished directly above them has just been found to have 'cheated' to do so.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd argue that you only think this is the fairest way because it's the one with the least (obviously) negative impact on Everton.

Say this was done and dusted pre-season, Leicester fans certainly aren't going to look at your points deduction being applied to this season as the fairest way of handling it.

They'd (quite rightly, in my view), question why they're being relegated when the team that finished directly above them has just been found to have 'cheated' to do so.
I think with anyone it's fair as the psychology of the decision is confusing mid season for both the team that the decision is applied to and others around them. The dynamic of the relegation battle has changed twice now from the start of the season and it's going to change at least once more due to this stuff.

Reiver

6 points deduction doesn't seem like much of a deterrent considering the money available for being in the EPL.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If Everton didn't have points deductions or shite players they'd be ahead of us, that's how shite we are.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Surely there has to be a better system for this that just whacking on points deductions mid-season and then changing it later?

Shifting the goalposts like that just doesn't seem fair, either on Everton or the other teams in the relegation picture.
This

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I forgot about that.
What I mean is that I don't think 6 points deduction would put most teams off overspending.
Does the deduction scale up with the overspending?
It's not really clear unfortunately but I think the gist of it would suggest yes. This appeal process has confused those matters by suggesting that punishment shouldn't be more than what administrated clubs get (9 points) so who knows.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I think with anyone it's fair as the psychology of the decision is confusing mid season for both the team that the decision is applied to and others around them. The dynamic of the relegation battle has changed twice now from the start of the season and it's going to change at least once more due to this stuff.
I'd argue that the psychology of the decision is less important than a decision being made and implemented in good time.

It doesn't even follow in this case either, given Everton's appeal would have happened mid-season, thus affecting the psychology of the teams at the bottom.

Ultimately, teams set out to get as many points as they can. It's their fault if they were banking on another team being deducted x number of points to stay up.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
You've dropped some silly points against teams in and around you I think? Losing to Sheffield United & Burnley? Definitely hurt you a bit.
Yeah true, seems as if the pressure gets to us when we're not the underdogs.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
It's not really cheating and getting away with it, we have still been punished.

I think this is fair considering everything.

I'm interested to see what happens to Forest though as apparently their breach is more.
There is still another charge pending against you so your season is still up in the air.
Forest could be in deep trouble though.

roseguy64

There is still another charge pending against you so your season is still up in the air.
Forest could be in deep trouble though.
It's not fair on Everton though to have two charges for two different years affecting a different season. Second charge should really affect next season but because they changed the rules it's affecting this season. If I was Everton I would argue this, unless they were one of the clubs that voted yes on the change.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
what do i tell my 5 year old son? he’s just heard the news from alexa. he’s run up to me in tears, saying “is it true, daddy? tell me it’s not true? it’s not just this season in jeopardy, it’s the very foundations of football itself. this… this… “team” can just spend with gay abandon, with wanton neglect for their peers. they can mortgage their future on a quick fix here, an up-and-coming brazilian there, and then get what’s tantamount to a slap on the wrist. i’m already struggling with my place in this end of day capitalist society, and now you’re telling me that football, purest football, is dying because of this ever.. team. i can’t even bring myself to say their name. make it make sense.”

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
It's not fair on Everton though to have two charges for two different years affecting a different season. Second charge should really affect next season but because they changed the rules it's affecting this season. If I was Everton I would argue this, unless they were one of the clubs that voted yes on the change.
The points deduction should happen in the relevant year in my mind so this current deduction should have taken place last year. I’m not saying this because I support Leicester because in all honesty we were a train wreck and deserved what we got.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Only 6 points? Jeez if that's all i don't blame teams for breaking rules if that's all the punishment you're gonna get

Needham

what do i tell my 5 year old son? he’s just heard the news from alexa. he’s run up to me in tears, saying “is it true, daddy? tell me it’s not true? it’s not just this season in jeopardy, it’s the very foundations of football itself. this… this… “team” can just spend with gay abandon, with wanton neglect for their peers. they can mortgage their future on a quick fix here, an up-and-coming brazilian there, and then get what’s tantamount to a slap on the wrist. i’m already struggling with my place in this end of day capitalist society, and now you’re telling me that football, purest football, is dying because of this ever.. team. i can’t even bring myself to say their name. make it make sense.”
Tell him you use a capital letter to start a sentence.

cpleigh

Supports
Everton
Everton admitted the breach. And the panel said 6 points was a fair penalty based on the rules in the EFL.

The original panel added 4 points for claiming Everton acted 'dishonestly and tried to mislead the PL'.

The new panel agreed that legally the original panel got that wrong and agreed Everton didn't do that. Hence the reduction.

Interestingly the EFL does have a double jeopardy rule so I'm sure Everton will now lean on the above to argue they can't be done again for the same breach

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This reminds me of the time Spurs got deduced 12 points some time in the mid 90s. It was then reduced to 6 points and then to zero I think.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994–95_Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C._season#:~:text=As punishment for financial irregularities,the 1994-95 FA Cup
Pretty sure the QC who got them off was presented on the stage of my secondary school at some return a year after leaving to pick up some certificate evening.

No idea why on earth he was there but I think I remember some light hearted boos.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Give that kid back to his actual parents. Kidnapping is a crime rimmy