Kick-off
Mon, 1 January 2018 @ 5:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Seven Seas Sardines

Herrera and Mata have become such horrible footballers. Herrera can't complete two straight passes, and still haven't got through that thick head of his that his shooting is bloody awful. Mata can't dribble, cross or finish to save the life of him and constantly ruins our attacks and counters with his lack of vision and backwards passing.

Smores

Are some of you stuck on moan mode or something?

That was not dreadful

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Martial isn't a striker for me at the moment at least. He just doesn't feel as natural as when attacking from the left side.
    His first instinct is trying to run it in from wherever he is. Which simply isn't practical at times.
    You can have a few games with a Martial or Rashford up top, but more often than not you see why you need a Lukaku force.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
    Based on their touches, maybe we should be explicitly playing 4-3-1-2, like this

Lingard
    Mata Martial​

prath92

Shaw while solid offers less width than Lindelof. Mata is kind of pointless in this game. Herrera and martial misplacing passes.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
    Come on, we haven't been that bad compared to the dross served up in the Southampton game. There's not a lot of confidence at the moment and they are trying. Yes some brainless decisions going on mostly through nerves I think.

SAFicus

We win the ball back and pass it around at the back. How is there no plan for a quick transition in that team?
    I think there is. Just half of our players can't do it.

Watch Pogba. Almost every time he gets the ball he turns and drives us forward. Every other player seems to feel an invisible breath on the back of their neck and play it in the direction they are facing. In fact by my count Lindelof has played as many forward passes as mata or herrera.

I've said it for weeks, put another creative player in with Pogba (of a similar quality) and the way we play would be unrecognisable.

DeOddi

You could probably say that 1st half is a bit of an improvement compared to our last few games, but still not good enough. Still too slow, not enough movement, and when we are in a good position the pass is bad or the touch too sloppy.

No real standout performer for us, maybe Lingard who had quite a few very good dribblings and touches.

Kapardin

Martial isn't a striker for me at the moment at least. He just doesn't feel as natural as when attacking from the left side.
    And he's not been great on the left either. So can we finally accept we need an upgrade and either keep Martial as a second option or loan him out to develop him.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
    Keep hearing that everyone is adament that Martial is a centre forward, but I just don't see it. Doesn't seem to like being in that position, and is rarely occupying a centreback. He keeps drifting wide and coming really deep, almost as if Lingard is the centre forward today and not him. Martial's best attributes come from getting the ball wide left and making those direct runs towards goal. For me, he's definitely more of a LW/wide forward than a #9.

He hasn't played particularly badly, but he's not had any presence upfront.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    Are some of you stuck on moan mode or something?

That was not dreadful
    Some of us can remember a time when not having a single chance in a must win game was considered completely unacceptable. Unfortunately now it doesn’t seem to be. It’s better than v Southampton but still utter garbage.

Son Of Sam

Criminally lack players with brains. I thought Lingard was decent this half but that run where we were 3 on 2 and he sprinted 30 yards completely ignoring Martial making a run (maybe not even ignoring but running towards him...) just to make a stupid shot sums it up.
    Mourinho is a defensive manager. He must have told Lingard to give the ball away so we can show the world our defensive might when Everton get the ball.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
    Scout
    We haven't been that bad, but we haven't been much of anything, which happens too often.

HankHill

Supports
    Ewe Night Tid.
    Rojo's tackle/block was the highlight of the half.

That says enough.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
    Balanced (or more than nullified each other):
    Possession
    Home 44%
    Away 56%
    Shots
    Home 7
    Away 10
    Shots on Target
    Home 0
    Away 1

NJM78

This isn’t going to get better is it...at least we have the World Cup to look forward to watching.

Judas

Open to offers
    We've played so much worse than that, so often this season, I wonder if people on here even watch the game or just copy and paste an already thought up post that wrote before kickoff.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    Before we get our knickers in a twist, all the other 3pm games were 0-0 at HT. We need to improve though, that's for sure!

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
    Mata again holds us back, he cuts inside with sideways passing and offers zero penetration. That said he is not a right winger.
    His role is not of a right winger anyway. He starts on the right but he’s expected to come inside and create. The thing is, he creates feck all because he’s too much of a coward to play the risky pass.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
    His first instinct is trying to run it in from wherever he is. Which simply isn't practical at times.
    You can have a few games with a Martial or Rashford up top, but more often than not you see why you need a Lukaku force.
    1 touch inside the box is a proof of that.

dove

Relax you drama queens. We were far from dreadful. Had quite a few good chances to counter attack but a) we don't have a single winger and b) our forward plays more like a winger.

waza7111

I think we'll get a chance to score but it'll probably only be one chance. Hopefully we take it.

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    Wow. Do people honestly think we've been dire? We are in a slump, playing every other day it seems and the team is playing fast passing football with good movement. I will forgive them for not being totally crisp. It's a very positive change from what we've been seeing. Feel it shows how beneficial two things are: freeing up Pogba and going with fluidity up front.

Pace Abuser

prath92

Though we are playing ok considering we don’t have our first choice CB (bailly), first choice fullbacks (Valencia and young) first choice striker (lukaku).

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
    Herrera and Mata have become such horrible footballers. Herrera can't complete two straight passes, and still haven't got through that thick head of his that his shooting is bloody awful. Mata can't dribble, cross or finish to save the life of him and constantly ruins our attacks and counters by his lack of vision and backwards passing.
    its quite sad considering, i rember when i first saw them in the team togther they seemed to have such a great connection and speed of passing..... its like LVG and Mourinho have just sucked all the creativity out of them

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
    Come on you’re normally a sensible poster if you are happy with Herrera this game then there is no point continuing this conversation as we are polls apart in our thinking.
    Sorry mate as far as I’m concerned Herrera Lingard Mata Rojo Blind Darmain are all for the exit the sooner the better if we want to start competing for titles.
    You're never happy with Herrera. It's a damning inditment when a supporter will actively only say bad things about one of our own. He misplays a pass and you're all over him. He plays a very good pass and you ignore it entirely. What does that say?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 81% of 753 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 529 ratings.

Score Predictions