Evra accuses Suarez of racist remarks | Suarez guilty of racial abuse

IanDangerously

IF the referee or any of his assistants heard it, he would have been forced to show a red card. I seem to recall an incident a few years ago where John Terry was sent off for making a racist comment to Benoit Assou-Ekotto as the players were jogging back down the field after a ball went out of play. Cant remember if Terry was given a suspension by the FA but Graham Poll (I think? Or Howard Webb, one or t'other) definitely sent him off for it.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
He said 'nagger'. Suarez - Evra you're such a nagger. Anyone seen that SP ep? quality.
Epic episode in fairness.

I'm not sure why the 'he's wound him up and Evra should be immune to it' arguement has come into this discourse. It's simply not relevant on any level.

mjs020294

And who knows what Evra did first. When people get in confrontations they say things to get a reaction. I have had people make derogatory remarks about me being a Brit many times.

Spoony

The People's President
Epic episode in fairness.

I'm not sure why the 'he's wound him up and Evra should be immune to it' arguement has come into this discourse. It's simply not relevant on any level.
Well, anything's fair game in the work place....

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I haven't even speculated what was said TBH. It doesn't matter whether it was the N word or his nationality or the way he walks TBH. Players have to deal with that sort of stuff all the time.
Right first of all how do you players have to deal with that all the time and secondly even if they have to put up with it, they shouldn't have to it's 2011. If Suarez has been racist then Evra has every right to be a bit miffed, his booking hasn't hurt anyone.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
In other words you're implying he's a liar.

Just like earlier Adam's not a diver?

What next, Rafa's a genius?
Rafa would have been a genius if he instructed Liverpool to attack the space like..

I'm just trying to look at it from an unbiased view point. If Rooney had gone down from Carragher's touch you would of said it was contact so he was obliged to go down, etc.. you know you wold have.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Also shouldn't the club have launched an official investigation and complaint by now?

Its a pretty serious thing that Evra has accused him of.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Well, anything's fair game in the work place....
That explains it. Also, it should be considered, the ramifications of Evra's comments should they be fabricated would reflect badly on Manchester United as a whole. And, as far I can gather, Evra loves this club and respects the traditions and values this club represents and that today in particular he was also in the role of Captain.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Surely if it was as frequent as Evra says he should have made a huge deal there and then. If I was offended by someone using my nationality or ethnicity in a pejorative manner, by the 10th time I'd not just accept it at the time. I'd have gone postal by the 10th time.

It is surely true if he has gone public, but there is the danger of this backfiring after the Chelsea incident and the Steve Finnan incident if nowt is done.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Rafa would have been a genius if he instructed Liverpool to attack the space like..

I'm just trying to look at it from an unbiased view point. If Rooney had gone down from Carragher's touch you would of said it was contact so he was obliged to go down, etc.. you know you wold have.
I'd call a diver a diver. I've always given Nani stick for it, so why would I make an exception for Wayne. I called him a diver when he won a Pen against Arsenal in 2009 at Old Trafford. So No.

I just don't know why you're being so pro Liverpool today but each to his own.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
And who knows what Evra did first. When people get in confrontations they say things to get a reaction. I have had people make derogatory remarks about me being a Brit many times.
Are you trying to justify it?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
He alleged that the groundsman called him a fecking immigrant, the groundsman claimed he said that Evra was fecking ignorant.

Unless Suarez was calling him a nagger because he was always at the ref, I doubt its a similar issue. :p
I don't know either way, but Suarez must have played against dozens, if not hundreds, of black players, and I find a misunderstanding of one sort or another more likely than a sudden outbreak of sustained racial abuse.

I suspect this will be a non-story by tuesday.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Surely if it was as frequent as Evra says he should have made a huge deal there and then. If I was offended by someone using my nationality or ethnicity in a pejorative manner, by the 10th time I'd not just accept it at the time. I'd have gone postal by the 10th time.

It is surely true if he has gone public, but there is the danger of this backfiring after the Chelsea incident and the Steve Finnan incident if nowt is done.
The Steve Finnan incident was fans complaining, Evra declined to. The Chelsea groundsman incident simply couldn't be proven without video, he was backed up by others iirc.

Sir A1ex

They won't have been because you're British, judging by your posts in this thread... did they call you stuff like "ignorant" and "tosser" by any chance? (Not that I would condone them doing so, of course).

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
I'd call a diver a diver. I've always given Nani stick for it, so why would I make an exception for Wayne. I called him a diver when he won a Pen against Arsenal in 2009 at Old Trafford. So No.

I just don't know why you're being so pro Liverpool today but each to his own.
How can you be so certain Suarez is guilty based on word alone? It's probable he did make those remarks then but innocent until proven guilty..

Brophs

The One and Only
And that's why racism will never get 'kicked out of football'.

Because the evidence of the person addressed will never be enough. Neither will the evidence of the United supporters being there (because they're obviously biased) and so on & on...

It's disgusting.
What's "why racism will never get kicked out of football"?

An unwillingness to convict on the word of the victim alone?

Racism is disgusting, yes, but as a society we'll have much bigger problems if we start to 'convict' on the basis of a victim's complaint alone.

Crustanoid

These things rarely get punished - look at the BigMan / Ledley King incident a few years ago. And when he called Tevez Argie cnut in the CL final

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I don't know whether Suarez is a racist or not. However, I do know that he's not above cheating; I reckon he (allegedly) racially abused Evra in the hope that Paddy would react & United go down to ten men.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Here's the incident, I can't make out what is he saying.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
And that's why racism will never get 'kicked out of football'.

Because the evidence of the person addressed will never be enough. Neither will the evidence of the United supporters being there (because they're obviously biased) and so on & on...

It's disgusting.
So what are you suggesting? That the age-old idea of the burden of proof lying with the accuser and not the accused should be flipped over? That guilt should be assumed, even without evidence, just because the nature of the alleged crime is notoriously difficult to prove?

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
If Suarez said it 10 times that can't just be the incident or the only footage of Suarez potentially saying it.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The Steve Finnan incident was fans complaining, Evra declined to. The Chelsea groundsman incident simply couldn't be proven without video, he was backed up by others iirc.
I know, but can presume the tabloid media will react logically?

edit - it's already 3 previous incidents on RAWK.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Brophs is tearing it up in here.

He's like an able-bodied Ironside or something.

Aint gota Kalou

I can't see him saying it 10 times and them not getting any sort of proof of it. Say what you want about Suarez but saying he made racist remarks is a big accusation.

I doubt Evra would lie though so I really have no idea.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi

From 1:20 it's obvious Suarez is saying things to him that's making Evra lose focus and he's finding it hard to concentrate later.

I would like to know what Evra is telling the ref at 1:46 and he's finding it hard to concentrate later.

Look at the look at 2:11, it's as if Evra can't belive the audacity of whatever has been said.

Either way I hope Suarez gets stomped in the nuts.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Not at all. Just playing devils advocate. No one knows what happened leading up to it, nor what either player said.
Why is what led up to it even an issue? If someone makes a racist remark it's because they're ignorant and bigoted end of.There are a million things I can think of to wind up someone..their race,ethnicity would never and should never enter into it

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

From 1:20 it's obvious Suarez is saying things to him that's making Evra lose focus nd he's finding it hard to concentrate later.

I would like to know what Evra is telling the ref at 1:46 nd he's finding it hard to concentrate later.

Either way I hope Suarez gets stomped in the nuts.

Nothing is obvious from any of the clips.