F1 2017 Season

Giggsy92

Really hope we get to see a Hamilton vs Verstappen title fight before Hamilton retires.

Wicked_Badger

Tense race. Shame for Vettel & F1 fans. Robbed of what could have been an epic battle to the end.

Still think Lewis will have a DNF, so rare to go a season without one. Plus he was complaining about vibrations from the PU at the end & his car basically limped over the line; could be interesting for Austin.

Force India have been brilliant this year, team of the season given their budget. And that’s with them crashing into each other at every chance too. If they could get a big cash injection from somewhere they could potentially make the next leap forward. Would be great to see.

Bottas has really been struggling lately. I can totally see a 2019 VER/HAM Merc line-up happening :drool::drool::drool:

marktan

I'm not a huge F1 fan but I've been following a lot more closely this year, partially due to this thread. Me also driving regularly this year also contributes I guess lol into interest into cars which hasn't really been there before. Still trying to figure tactics out, I have a question though, I keep hearing that certain teams have the 'best' cars. What changed for Ferrari in their car that gave them the best one in the early 2000's? Same with Red Bull and Vettel, and now Mercedes? Why can't the other big teams just do the same thing?

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I'm not a huge F1 fan but I've been following a lot more closely this year, partially due to this thread. Me also driving regularly this year also contributes I guess lol into interest into cars which hasn't really been there before. Still trying to figure tactics out, I have a question though, I keep hearing that certain teams have the 'best' cars. What changed for Ferrari in their car that gave them the best one in the early 2000's? Same with Red Bull and Vettel, and now Mercedes? Why can't the other big teams just do the same thing?
It's an arms race and extremely technical. There is no single fix to equalize a Ferrari with a Merc. Now and again there will be a huge jump like the double diffuser but we are generally talking fractions of a second difference which makes the "slower" car look like a pedestrian.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
They reset the rules for various reasons (competition, cap budgets, etc.) every few years.

Apologies for the length but a brief summary:
  • Ferrari had Schumacher who is probably the best modern day driver and unlimited development time (driving around their test track all day everyday) plus the largest budget most likely.
  • Then they changed the rules (some say due to Ferrari dominance whilst others say to restrict testing and reduce budgets). Red Bull had a big team budget and took advantage of the aerodynamic rule changes e.g. double diffuser (which Brawn took advantage of and won the first season after the rule changes). This was led by Adrian Newey regarded as the best aero designer in F1 (made winning cars with several teams including McLaren against Ferrari). They also had Renault who took care of the engine side.
  • The rule changes in 2014 led to a different engine type V8 to V6 and turbo hybrid energy recovery systems, even worse they introduced 'token' systems so they could only do so much development work on engines in-season (another way to cap budgets). Merc entered F1 having worked on the engine before others and have been in their own league ever since - add Hamilton it is ridiculous. Plus they banned part of the double-diffuser from the previous rules.

Why can't the other big teams just do the same thing?
Good question. Honda turned up and have never been able to catch up, I guess once you get ahead and keep improving then it is hard to catch up though this is closer than it has ever been.

Mercedes and Ferrari will also not supply Red Bull and other engine manufacturers don't want to enter due to the amount of money these engines cost to develop. They are in discussion to change this in the next few years.

marktan

That's interesting, thanks for the detailed answer. Will be really interesting to see how it goes in the future then, I've read that that this years been a lot closer in terms of speed between Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull in particular. Obviously does depend on the driver a lot too (e.g. Hamilton and Bottas in the same car), but definitely does seem more interesting when there's more of a level playing field between teams and it becomes more about the race management and driver skill than about the car design.

I'm gonna disagree there. It was widely known that Mercedes would be extremely competitive when the new regs came in due to being able to tailor their car to the engine, whereas Red Bull who were dominating at the time were a customer team, whilst Ferrari were still coming out the end of their "our wind tunnel is shit, please bring back track testing" years.
It's very different to Schumacher
True he's no Schumacher but I also think he's done more than say Senna who always hunted out the best car. It was a big move to leave McLaren and there was no guarantee of success at Mercedes. He joined to lead them and help develop the car alongside a virtual nobody at the time.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Alonso confirmed for another year at McLaren should be some good contests for the podium next season.

Even more interesting is the driver market next year.

Giggsy92

Some brilliant qualis from Lewis this year, think he might even have surpassed his 2012 level. He'll be hoping Bottas can get Vettel off the line otherwise it's going to be a tough race for him.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Jesus what in gods name is this? Got to love America though.. men with big taches and cowboy hats in ferarri shirts, cheerleaders with their big fake tits hanging out, a boxing MC to announce the drivers.. such a contrast to every other Grand Prix. There really is nowhere else like it. It's great.

Giggsy92

At least this will all be forgotten about in the shitstorm that follows Lewis taking a knee.