F1 2021 Season

Dan_F

Tomorrow's start should be interesting. RB have been better at getting off the line than the Mercs recently. The delta between the Softs and Mediums is huge so i expect both Mercedes need perfect launches to keep the RBs behind them into turn 1. Though even if one of the RB got past its not the end of the world as Mercs are on the Mediums and can be patient.

Being 1st going into turn one is key tomorrow as you dont want to be following any in any cars dirty hot air when track temps at 60c.

Interesting gamesmanship from Hamilton today, out of the schmacher/alonso book of being a wiley old fox. Glad Horner didnt make too much out of it as it was a mistake from RB strategists to have max come out after the Mercs.
This is a good point. Especially Hamilton when in pole has had some really poor starts. It’ll definitely be in his thoughts.

dinostar77

Well done max.

Ps. Are there any onboard comparsions of max and perez q3 laps? Perez is constantly hacking at the wheel on his onboard which suggests he isnt happy with the setup/grip of the car. Its been said before that the RB is a difficult car to drive for anyone other than Max as he can correct an imblance mid corner as the car is quite snappy and gasly, albion, perez have found that difficult to do. Different cars different driving styles i suppose.

ArjenIsM3

Yeah Max needs to have a good solid race tomorrow. Eventually Mercs will get by, let them go, move onto the next race. Just afraid he'll do something stupid, run too hard, make a mistake for nothing.
Yeah agreed that would be best. Maybe he can get past Bottas but if not just be happy with third and hope somehow Mercedes feck it up in the next couple of races (however unlikely)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
This season has been pretty bad I will agree, normally I find it pretty balanced.
Both Max and Lewis fan can be pretty vocal and that is good , after all its what the thread is for, but some of the comments have been a bit OTT since Sliverstone.
Please give us your thoughts.
Thoughts on what?

I’m enjoying the way the season is panning out.

dinostar77

Yeah agreed that would be best. Maybe he can get past Bottas but if not just be happy with third and hope somehow Mercedes feck it up in the next couple of races (however unlikely)
The softs will allow Perez and Max to brake 5 metres later going into turn 1. Basically 1 car lengths. Also this is the last race before the summer break. Vettel overturned a 46 point Alonso lead going into the summer break to win a Championship and this is the longest season on record so plenty to play for.

After the summer break we have Spa where RB should be favourites as they can delop full power from the electeic motor for longer than Mercedes can on the straights. Then we are off to Maxs home race in holland. So lots of twists and turns to come in this seasons championship race.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Very possibly. It’s plausible that Horner’s comments and the subsequent appeals have lit a fire under Merc
I really do think it has. Awoken the beast.

Max seems to be realising now this is all a distraction he doesn’t need, and lewis thrives on it. No surprise today lewis pulled out his A game.

ArjenIsM3

The softs will allow Perez and Max to brake 5 metres later going into turn 1. Basically 1 car lengths. Also this is the last race before the summer break. Vettel overturned a 46 point Alonso lead going into the summer break to win a Championship and this is the longest season on record so plenty to play for.

After the summer break we have Spa where RB should be favourites as they can delop full power from the electeic motor for longer than Mercedes can on the straights. Then we are off to Maxs home race in holland. So lots of twists and turns to come in this seasons championship race.
I doubt it to be honest. Red Bull need some serious upgrades to match Mercedes and I just don't see that happening. Home race means feck all too. It's not like the car is suddenly faster because it's in Holland. We'll see what happens, but I see Lewis and Mercedes as the clear favourites for the title.

dinostar77

I doubt it to be honest. Red Bull need some serious upgrades to match Mercedes and I just don't see that happening. Home race means feck all too. It's not like the car is suddenly faster because it's in Holland. We'll see what happens, but I see Lewis and Mercedes as the clear favourites for the title.
You do realise that the Mercs and RB will trade back and forth depending on the track and which team can get their tyres into the right operating window.

RB still have the better car at the moment, they can still run a skinner rear wing than Mercedes and be just as fast if not quicker in the corners. The honda has better and longer electric deployment than the Mercedes equivalent its just there aren't any straights long enough on this track to see the advantage.

If RB could have dialled in Maxs car properly and got rid of the understeer he could have been on pole. Thats how tight it is.

Rooney1987

Based on 1 qualifying session? Based on 2 weeks ago RB had to advantage in quali and in this weeks practice it was pretty even. Merc better on softs and RB better on mediums. Lets see how the race pans out first. We’ve not actually seen them compete in front with the new upgrades yet. So pronouncing Mercs the now favourite isn’t wise.

I know your overreacting because you and many other Max/RB fans had a debate about who’s had the faster car so as soon as it looks like RB are behind you jump on it. If Merc dominate tomorrow maybe we can start talking about faster car but not now. RB are still favourites.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
:lol: This was Merc’s first pole in 7 races and they’ve won 2 races since then, one of which, Max didn’t finish.

How can you possibly conclude that Merc has the better car and that they’re now favourites?!

ArjenIsM3

It's based on two quali sessions in a row where the Mercs were faster, which just so happened to coincide with their update. Coincidence? I think not.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Sorry just re-read you post.
Dare I have an opinion on the top of the grid! thought you want to give an an option.
But now realise I misunderstood it.
My bad, it wasn’t written the best, honestly I’ve never been that keen on Hamilton and have liked max and his aggressiveness the last year or so, now it’s quite close and since the Horner stuff and max to a certain extent the last couple of weeks I can’t help but want Hamilton to beat them to the title, even though if you’d asked me at the start of the year I wouldn’t have wanted Hamilton getting an eighth. I’m just enjoying a close battle for once, it seems to have been a while since we’ve had something like this.

F-Red

It's based on two quali sessions in a row where the Mercs were faster, which just so happened to coincide with their update. Coincidence? I think not.
Surely race pace is the more important metric here. Calling for upgrades to improve qualifying performance on tracks which Mercedes have a good track record (high speed corner dominant) is a little naive.

ArjenIsM3

Surely race pace is the more important metric here. Calling for upgrades to improve qualifying performance on tracks which Mercedes have a good track record (high speed corner dominant) is a little naive.
Perhaps, it's hard to judge based on 1 race lap of course so we'll see how it goes tomorrow but the way I see it the Merc could well be faster.

Lightbringer

Unbelievable how punished VER has been for Hamiltons mistake:

- Instead of leading the championship by 40ish points, it's an 8 point lead.
- Roundabout 1.5 million $
- Bungling with an inferior PU next weekend, likely having a bearing on quali results
- Being forced to use a PU that's not calibrated in the next race
- A slam dunk engine penalty later on in the season, so Lewis will continue to reap benefits from his Silverstone error

A change of regulations are neeeded so that the guilty part in a collision does not gain lasting massive advantages even when deemed guilty by stewards.

ArjenIsM3

- Bungling with an inferior PU next weekend, likely having a bearing on quali results
- A slam dunk engine penalty later on in the season, so Lewis will continue to reap benefits from his Silverstone error

A change of regulations are neeeded so that the guilty part in a collision does not gain lasting massive advantages even when deemed guilty by stewards.
I agree change is necessary.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

:drool:

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven

Amazing how unfair this is.

Leg-End

I do think if you have a race ending incident that results in an ICE or gearbox to be unusable that is deemed not your fault 100% then you should get a penalty free engine back.

Incident wasn’t 100% to blame on anyone though.

Rooney1987

If every car got extra money or extra development tokens after racing incidents then what’s then point in having rules. Every team will have a crash at some point even if it isn’t the teams own fault but they’ll still have to pay for it.

Fluctuation0161

Plus they ran out of kleenex at Red Bull from all the crying. That's £2m worth of tissues.

keithsingleton

Some may say poetic justice after all Horners moaning that they now have to take a penalty with a cracked engine due to the crash at Silverstone.

With rain now forecast I just don't know what to expect at the beginning. Temperatures significantly lower too. If drivers not forced to go on wets ( pending conditions before the start ) I still think Max on the better tyre temporary.

One of the most exciting starts I can ever remember watching F1 racing.

#COMEONHAMMY

pauldyson1uk

I agree change is necessary.
Amazing how unfair this is.
Get over it already FFS.