F1 2021 Season

Jack-C20

Didn’t think Lewis was getting close but fair play. Max looks rapid as always.

Leg-End

Lewis got close, all about T1. Hamilton has to be aggressive again, no point not being at this stage as based on speed Max will walk it on race pace.

pauldyson1uk

Max
Lewis
Bottas
Max and Lewis with cracking last laps.
Looks like the race will be pretty boring, Sky trying to big the race up.
First corner could be interesting, Lewis will get the slipstream going into it.

Leg-End

I suspect it will be boring and processional. Hope not...
If Max is ahead I think it will be, there won't any overtaking on this track. Might come down to getting luck with a SC.

All the hype about this circuit, I get it the Dutch fans deserve a race and it is an amazing atmosphere but the track isn't great in my opinion. The changes they made are most cosmetic than for the show, it's got all the hallmarks for a shite race which isn't ideal after not even getting a race last time out.

dinostar77

I think tyre management and pit strategy will decide this race.
I would agree however its more than likley we will have a safety car or even a red flag which will mix things up. Mercedes could make life difficult for RB by running bottas short and running lewis long. RB without Perez in the mix will have to react to one of them. Could be a very interesting race.

dinostar77

If Max is ahead I think it will be, there won't any overtaking on this track. Might come down to getting luck with a SC.

All the hype about this circuit, I get it the Dutch fans deserve a race and it is an amazing atmosphere but the track isn't great in my opinion. The changes they made are most cosmetic than for the show, it's got all the hallmarks for a shite race which isn't ideal after not even getting a race last time out.
As a driver the track is epic (even when you play it in F1 game), maybe not for overtaking. The FIA are playing safe this year and moved the DRS point forwards onto the main straight rather than it starting at the banking leading onto the main straight. The track designers think the latter will lead to better overtaking on the main straight but FIA decided to be cautious this year and see what the data provides.

pauldyson1uk

I would agree however its more than likley we will have a safety car or even a red flag which will mix things up. Mercedes could make life difficult for RB by running bottas short and running lewis long. RB without Perez in the mix will have to react to one of them. Could be a very interesting race.
Yeah agreed SC will play a part, almost 100% there will be 1, 2 or 3 SCs along with a red flag.
First SC/Red Flag could be turn 1

Leg-End

As a driver the track is epic (even when you play it in F1 game), maybe not for overtaking. The FIA are playing safe this year and moved the DRS point forwards onto the main straight rather than it starting at the banking leading onto the main straight. The track designers think the latter will lead to better overtaking on the main straight but FIA decided to be cautious this year and see what the data provides.
I've done a fair few sim races around it in the past, I just find it pretty boring after the first sector in honesty. It's really quick stuff but it lacks something in the middle sector and as much as extending DRS onto the straight would help I don't think the run onto it is good enough to allow for overtaking by T1. In fact its very much like the Stavelot section at Spa which works really well because its leads onto a massive flatout section that has a big braking zone for overtaking, even there its tough and this is much shorter.

Hope it proves me wrong but its a race of attrition and strategy tomorrow rather than on track racing.

dinostar77

I've done a fair few sim races around it in the past, I just find it pretty boring after the first sector in honesty. It's really quick stuff but it lacks something in the middle sector and as much as extending DRS onto the straight would help I don't think the run onto it is good enough to allow for overtaking by T1. In fact its very much like the Stavelot section at Spa which works really well because its leads onto a massive flatout section that has a big braking zone for overtaking, even there its tough and this is much shorter.

Hope it proves me wrong but its a race of attrition and strategy tomorrow rather than on track racing.
I dont disagree on the overtaking. The undulation, off camber corners, relentless pace of the track make it great for drivers to drive. They have all be ravig about the track this weekend saying how more F1 tracks need banking, off camber corners etc.

Every track on the calender will be a different proposition next summer with the new rules. If your coming off the banking 0.1-0.5 second behind the car infront and losing less than 20% off your downforce then over taking on the main straight will be easier as will following on other corners. However thats next years cars.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven

The track itself is one of the best out there.

Leg-End

I dont disagree on the overtaking. The undulation, off camber corners, relentless pace of the track make it great for drivers to drive. They have all be ravig about the track this weekend saying how more F1 tracks need banking, off camber corners etc.

Every track on the calender will be a different proposition next summer with the new rules. If your coming off the banking 0.1-0.5 second behind the car infront and losing less than 20% off your downforce then over taking on the main straight will be easier as will following on other corners. However thats next years cars.
It’s a fair point we should wait and see on next years cars but I do think in terms of this track in its current layout they should have thought about an overtaking section, even the lower Formula races have lacked on track overtaking so I don’t think it’s all down to car specs.

Hungary is a good benchmark for where they should go with this layout, it used to be shit and now it usually throws up great races just by tweaking sector 1.

Rooney1987

Had Max not improved on his final run, Max and Lewis would have set identical lap times. Obviously didn’t happen but still.

Leg-End

The track itself is one of the best out there.
Wonder why you would say that? :lol:

No honestly for the driving aspect it’s brilliant but that doesn’t always make great racing. My point is it’s 75% there to being a top track on the calendar but if you can’t overtake on it (yet to be proven of course, we find out tomorrow) it doesn’t get near the best circuits.

Amazing fans, great seating placement for atmosphere, top driver, excellent sector 1…..crap from Turn 7 onwards to the last 2 corners.

Leg-End

It's really not, OK the banked turn 3 is special, but that's it, almost no passing places.
But it can be! I’m just surprised they renovated it but didn’t actually add much to improve the racing.

On a massive plus side, gravel traps!

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Wonder why you would say that? :lol:

No honestly for the driving aspect it’s brilliant but that doesn’t always make great racing. My point is it’s 75% there to being a top track on the calendar but if you can’t overtake on it (yet to be proven of course, we find out tomorrow) it doesn’t get near the best circuits.

Amazing fans, great seating placement for atmosphere, top driver, excellent sector 1…..crap from Turn 7 onwards to the last 2 corners.
If it was a shit track I would say it too but I think we agree for current F1 cars it’s not suited and overtaking will be near impossible. But in qualifying it was great and the location and the turns are great.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
If it was a shit track I would say it too but I think we agree for current F1 cars it’s not suited and overtaking will be near impossible. But in qualifying it was great and the location and the turns are great.
That's what I think as well. Looked very sexy in qualifying but I fear there won't be enough space to race.

redshaw

Not liking the track much either in terms of F1 cars and racing, could do with being 30 seconds longer. Otherwise it is a brilliant setting with good fan placement and banked corners, looks fantastic to drive. Could be a special F1 circuit with some extensions.

What is surprising is short tracks usually you see the cars bunch up more in lap times but as this track is still technical for drivers and car dynamics there's quite a spread in times. We may see some changes due to driver errors and other car failures still.

vangagal

The car today is just too big for this kind of track. I hope next year car got to be little bit smaller in dimension. Zandvoort's layout is amazing i must admit.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So max from pole in his home GP where passing is near impossible.. are we expecting a precession today?

hp88

So max from pole in his home GP where passing is near impossible.. are we expecting a precession today?
Expecting some sort of contact between Max and Lewis on lap one, reckon we will see a couple of safety cars as well so it might be decided on strategy.

Balljy

You get the impression no-one really wants to speak to Rosberg on the grid . Brundle always has people who were happy to stop and chat for 30 seconds.