F1 2021 Season

hobbers

They might as well just build three more new engines and take 5 place penalties for the next 3 races as well.

Their car with a new engine is half a second a lap quicker than the Red Bulls on Interlagos, the advantage in Qatar or Yas Marina will be even bigger.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Horner's comments were interesting, he said on Sky they know what it is. Everything points to the rear wing and Max said he was checking how much it was flexing. Horner also said it isn't possible on horsepower alone to make that difference.

Whatever Merc have been doing since Turkey (it was reported in Mexico they had to reduce top speed due to the bumps damaging the rear wing and Red Bull also had some cracks) it is an absolute beast on the straight.

Fair play to them, they've consistently been the best and most innovative team in this era. Add one of the best drivers around it was almost unfair today!

Barnslig

who cares he got dq'd?
What kind of answer is that? So no one knows what "damage" Toto is talking about then? He just talking out of his ass? If there were no damage to Lewis' car, why was the wing off by whatever millimetres they found? Because cheating maybe?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
What kind of answer is that? So no one knows what "damage" Toto is talking about then? He just talking out of his ass? If there were no damage to Lewis' car, why was the wing off by whatever millimetres they found? Because cheating maybe?
There is genuinely zero evidence to suggest that there was any form of cheating involved. The stewards said so themselves and even Horner said that he didn’t think that it was intentional. Horner said that he didn’t know how much they were over by but it was unlikely that it has any impact on the pace so to suggest that a 0.2mm breach was intentional to cheat is pretty hilarious

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Bit hard for him to say if they haven’t had the wing back to look into it yet.

Doesn’t sound like cheating as I thought it had passed pre qualifying (?) and apparently it’s not “millimetreS”, it’s 0.2 of a millimetre or 0.23% outside the 85mm allowed. Doubt that makes much of an impact.

Last edited:

Barnslig

There is genuinely zero evidence to suggest that there was any form of cheating involved. The stewards said so themselves and even Horner said that he didn’t think that it was intentional. Horner said that he didn’t know how much they were over by but it was unlikely that it has any impact on the pace so to suggest that a 0.2mm breach was intentional to cheat is pretty hilarious
I am not saying I am convinced Mercedes cheated, I am simply asking if they claim the discrepancy comes from damage, please elaborate where that damage came from. If he can not, then his rationale for the wing being off by 0.2mm is invalid, no? FIA are very strict when applying the rules, all the teams knows this, and yet time and time again they get charged for something.

Bit hard for him to say if they haven’t had the wing back to look into it yet.

Doesn’t sound like cheating as I thought it had passed pre qualifying (?) and apparently it’s not “millimetreS”, it’s 0.2 of a millimetre or 0.0023% outside the 85mm allowed. Doubt that makes much of an impact.
Of course, a bit harsh telling everyone to feck off as well then? If they haven't got the wing back to make sure it wasn't their error that caused the punishment? I have no idea if this is how it works, but just for fun - if the wing improved the top speed by 0.0023% more than anyone else on the track at 200mph that would be 0.75km/h. Which is definitely an impact, considering DRS gives what? 12-14 km/h? Potentially, almost a full km/h on top of everyone else. And if the wing was up by 0.2mm the entire race, that's not just short of 1 km/h gain in DRS zones, but the entire track.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I am not saying I am convinced Mercedes cheated, I am simply asking if they claim the discrepancy comes from damage, please elaborate where that damage came from. If he can not, then his rationale for the wing being off by 0.2mm is invalid, no? FIA are very strict when applying the rules, all the teams knows this, and yet time and time again they get charged for something.

Of course, a bit harsh telling everyone to feck off as well then? If they haven't got the wing back to make sure it wasn't their error that caused the punishment? I have no idea if this is how it works, but just for fun - if the wing improved the top speed by 0.0023% more than anyone else on the track at 200mph that would be 0.75km/h. Which is definitely an impact, considering DRS gives what? 12-14 km/h? Potentially, almost a full km/h on top of everyone else. And if the wing was up by 0.2mm the entire race, that's not just short of 1 km/h gain in DRS zones, but the entire track.
This feels like talking to someone in a cult. Clearly made your mind up.… you want Wolff to elaborate without having the piece back to inspect? You can’t see the catch 22 in that?

And you think saying ‘feck them all’ is equivalent to having a driver put to the back of the grid for qualifying?

Then you use the 0.0023 and multiply by the top speeds to get 0.75kmh (ok), then round it up to 1kmh (why??) then say that’s 1kmh for “the entire track” … they don’t go round the entire circuit at 200mph :lol:

On top, the stewards have said they’re happy there was no intent.

Im fine with rules being rules and teams getting penalised… Mercedes have, Wolff (despite the decision) took it in good grace and explained a lot more than was being bandied around. One expletive when his driver had made 15 places in 20-odd laps is surely to be expected, almost… human?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Horner’s interview with Sky was quite good i thought. He said that it’s actually checked pretty regularly and despite Sky trying their best to get him to say that Mercedes did it intentionally he refused to say that and said that he had no reason to believe it was intentional.

Barnslig

This feels like talking to someone in a cult. Clearly made your mind up.… you want Wolff to elaborate without having the piece back to inspect? You can’t see the catch 22 in that?

And you think saying ‘feck them all’ is equivalent to having a driver put to the back of the grid for qualifying?

Then you use the 0.0023 and multiply by the top speeds to get 0.75kmh (ok), then round it up to 1kmh (why??) then say that’s 1kmh for “the entire track” … they don’t go round the entire circuit at 200mph :lol:

On top, the stewards have said they’re happy there was no intent.

Im fine with rules being rules and teams getting penalised… Mercedes have, Wolff (despite the decision) took it in good grace and explained a lot more than was being bandied around. One expletive when his driver had made 15 places in 20-odd laps is surely to be expected, almost… human?
A cult, actually. Interesting.

Fair enough, I made some errors in my calculations I did in a minute and a half, and prefaced as "for fun", but I'm a cult member apparantly.

I wanted to point out that the Hamilton fans on here seem to see no wrong no matter what Mercedes does, but bring some of it up and you're in a cult.

Wolff knows very well what he's doing when saying that publicly, and as I said, I don't necessarily believe Mercedes have cheated on purpose, but a mistake has been made somewhere and they've breached the rules, and had to pay for it. As for his outburst, what I tried arguing was that if it's too early to say anything because he hasn't had the piece to inspect, it's also too early to tell everyone to feck off, because they don't know what caused the error.

LordNinio

Just in case anyone is reading this and thinking that's quite a hefty advantage.

A 0.0023% improvement in speed at 200mph is actually 0.0046mph.

That's whilst they're going 200mph and whilst the wing is open, and if that 0.0023% extra gap actually fully translated to speed gain.

Fluctuation0161

Horner's comments were interesting, he said on Sky they know what it is. Everything points to the rear wing and Max said he was checking how much it was flexing. Horner also said it isn't possible on horsepower alone to make that difference.

Whatever Merc have been doing since Turkey (it was reported in Mexico they had to reduce top speed due to the bumps damaging the rear wing and Red Bull also had some cracks) it is an absolute beast on the straight.

Fair play to them, they've consistently been the best and most innovative team in this era. Add one of the best drivers around it was almost unfair today!
Horner is a snake.

Fluctuation0161

0.0023% at 200mph would be an additional O.46km/h.

Barnslig

Alright cool, I suck at maths. Again, I prefaced this by saying "I have no idea if this is how it works, but just for fun", it's not like I am portraying myself as some sort of expert?

Horner is a snake.
Careful mate, some people in here might think you're in a cult... Oh wait, you're criticising Red Bull? Carry on.

Barnslig

Just in case anyone is reading this and thinking that's quite a hefty advantage.

A 0.0023% improvement in speed at 200mph is actually 0.0046mph.

That's whilst they're going 200mph and whilst the wing is open, and if that 0.0023% extra gap actually fully translated to speed gain.
Thanks for correcting my "math".

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

What an absolute train wreck of a post in so, so many ways.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The way people were talking I thought this was the last race of the season. Turns out there are three more so still all to race for even if Max wins today no?

LordNinio

Thanks for correcting my "math".
I'm not really bothered about whether you made a mistake, we all do. I just wanted the correct figures in play, otherwise in 3 pages time, your incorrect figures become accepted as fact.

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point with the 'math' comment, if you are I've no idea what it is

RoadTrip

My thoughts are:

- Given the amount over the limit, I think it is pretty clear that this wasn’t intentional by Mercedes.
- Unfortunately though I don’t think the amount over matters for punishment. In such a technical sport where there are so many rules and regs which are needed for a whole host of things, you can’t create grey areas. It only complicates things going forward. So without a clear and explainable reason (which even then might not have sufficed), there had to be a penalty.
- I’d be interested though to know if the wing was measured pre-qualifying? And also interested to know if there really is a possibility of damage on the track. At such a small amount, a small crack? Loosening of a pivot? Hitting a curb hard causing something to dislodge ever so slightly? Are these real mechanical possibilities? I have no idea.
- At that amount, it obviously did not impact performance.

For me it’s either a) an error in engineering which means it was off from the start, or b) something caused it on track.

The question of whether it was checked pre qualifying would perhaps help to answer that question. I’m much more sympathetic to the anger of Mercedes if the breached reg was due to damage on the track

RoadTrip

The way people were talking I thought this was the last race of the season. Turns out there are three more so still all to race for even if Max wins today no?
I think the point is depending on todays result, it could be in a situation where Max could finish second behind Hamilton at all the remaining races and still win the title. Anything can happen so it’s obviously not fully over until it is. But it is becoming increasingly improbable.

Fluctuation0161

Alright cool, I suck at maths. Again, I prefaced this by saying "I have no idea if this is how it works, but just for fun", it's not like I am portraying myself as some sort of expert?

Careful mate, some people in here might think you're in a cult... Oh wait, you're criticising Red Bull? Carry on.
To be fair, it's obvious then 0.2mm did not drive the Mercedes performance based on Hamiltons performance in sprint quali.

Horner has not specified what he thinks is giving the Mercedes extra speed. He is just saying "he knows". It's ridiculous and vague.

The most likely explanation is the new engine turned up to full power. Hardly indicative of anything dodgy.

Dan_F

I think the point is depending on todays result, it could be in a situation where Max could finish second behind Hamilton at all the remaining races and still win the title. Anything can happen so it’s obviously not fully over until it is. But it is becoming increasingly improbable.
Bottas is key to Hamilton being able to make up the gap today and in the next three races. Barring any DQ’s, he’ll need to finish ahead of Max in two of the races I reckon, with Hamilton obviously winning.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Bottas is key to Hamilton being able to make up the gap today and in the next three races. Barring any DQ’s, he’ll need to finish ahead of Max in two of the races I reckon, with Hamilton obviously winning.
Presumably they will fit the new engine to bottas as well next weekend? That will drop him 5 places but if it really is that much better and there are big straights in quatar and Abu Dhabi (not sure about saudi) then quite feasible we get merc 1-2

I have a feeling that red bull are going to continue to protest about what they seem to think is a flexible merc wing

And at some point presumably red bull will introduce their own variant and merc will protest against that...

Probably the fia are going to end up settling the title (which given their decision to sit behind a safety car all gp and give half points at Spa they already to some extent have been quite active in)

Barnslig

I'm not really bothered about whether you made a mistake, we all do. I just wanted the correct figures in play, otherwise in 3 pages time, your incorrect figures become accepted as fact.

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point with the 'math' comment, if you are I've no idea what it is
I agree with your post. I put math in quotations, as it's obvious it should barely be considered as such.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
OK I found this really interesting

https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-anderson-explains-mercedes-suspension-trick/

If true then its the suspension lowering that is effectively stalling the drag making the car quicker on the straight whilst allowing a generally higher downforce for the rest of the circuit

Provided this is mechanically achieved which I'm guessing the fia must have checked it seems perfectly legal

Why are red bull so pissed and why don't they copy it... well apparently they simply can't get the same result due to the high rear rake on the car and that is not really possible to change that in a short time as its one of the first and most fundamental design decisions in the car.

If that is what's causing the differential then looking at the circuits coming up its going to be tough for red bull

A new engine with improved output on top of this and Merc / Hamilton will be in with a real shout despite the remaining GPS initially looking to favour red bull

Red bull seem to be making a lot of fuss about a flexible wing but surely the fia have scrutinised that now so if it is the suspension making such a difference it really does seem a very clever innovation

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The problem is if Max finishes ahead of Lewis today even if Lewis wins the remaining 3 races with fastest lap if Max finishes 2nd he would still win the championship. Lewis has to finish ahead of max today to stand a chance I think.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The problem is if Max finishes ahead of Lewis today even if Lewis wins the remaining 3 races with fastest lap if Max finishes 2nd he would still win the championship. Lewis has to finish ahead of max today to stand a chance I think.
I dunno... put a new engine in bottas car as well and sure he takes a 5 place quali hit in the next gp but he potentially gains something like three tenths a lap? ... Max is gonna struggle to finish 2nd in all the GPS against that... as I sai in the previous post if it is the suspension lowering stalling the diffuser and red bulls high rake makes that impossible its gonna be tough given the circuits coming up for red bull...