F1 2021 Season

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
At this point anyone who says stuff like both Max & Lewis have been dirty is just messing. It really is not even close between the two. Max continues to drive like someone who knows that both guys going out is not bad for him. Hamilton has actually been extra cautious knowing that a DNF basically finishes his title hopes. Yeah he might have overstepped the limit the odd time but it’s not at all close between the two.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Here's the helicopter replay. Click here if the video above doesn't appear.
Makes it look like Lewis could've passed quite a lot earlier.

Lines up with what he said about not knowing what Max was doing.
Really feel like there wouldn't be a crash if Lewis had been notified of Max letting him through in time, then he'd just swung out to the side and passed him.
Whilst it's definitely mainly on the race director you can quite clearly see Verstappen also being a little prick. Since the race director can't get a grid penalty I think we should probably give one to Verstappen. On the other hand I think Lewis grinding him into the dirt next week from a level playing field would be a lot more fun.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
We're bickering over the wrong thing here, whether he braked, left enough space yada yada yada. That's on the race director for not making the situation clear. How can only one driver be informed!? Crazy crazy crazy. Masi really showing he's not up to the task.

This was a great race for drama but a very poor one for the people involved with running the races. There was just so much confusion all around about everything . I remember one time there was a lot of stuff on the track and Alonso was begging for a SC but it took them like 2 laps to decide on a VSC. Once it came out it was there for like 3-4 laps. How can something that is serious enough to take 3-4 laps to clear up take 2 laps just for them to respond

RepardReece

At this point anyone who says stuff like both Max & Lewis have been dirty is just messing. It really is not even close between the two. Max continues to drive like someone who knows that both guys going out is not bad for him. Hamilton has actually been extra cautious knowing that a DNF basically finishes his title hopes. Yeah he might have overstepped the limit the odd time but it’s not at all close between the two.
Agree.

I don't want to be Hamilton bias in any way but he's not done much wrong recently. Max has constantly overstepped, knowing exactly what you've pointed out.

Gotta say, credit to Lewis for keeping a calm head, I'd be so fed up with Max's antics by now

It's a dangerous track and Max is a dangerous driver, simple as that. I have no idea how in this ultra cautious safety era we get such a fast, narrow circuit with no run off. Must have been some big brown envelopes.

As for Max, he drives like he's in a video game. Horner clearly enables his behaviour but he seriously needs his wings clipping before he hurts somebody.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Really feel like there wouldn't be a crash if Lewis had been notified of Max letting him through in time, then he'd just swung out to the side and passed him.
Ok he doesn't know what max was doing. Why didn't he pass him then? Lewis had a total brainfart and caused a collision.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

There does seem to be a lot of space but that’s asking Lewis (without knowing what’s going on) to go off the racing line with a corner coming up, where he’d never go for the overtake. Max could’ve done a better job, I.e., move to the right and stay there. I don’t think there’ll be penalties though

slyadams

Honestly Merc as a team are getting more and more unlikeable. I understand people not liking Horner, he whines a lot yeah, but Merc aren't much better.

Agree with this. Though I think the dirty stuff from Mercedes (both Bottas and Hamilton) should be looked at too.
You really are something else

The Hilton

Such a nothing decision, a penalty without any actual penalty, bit of a cop out really.

Uniquim

Here's the document if anyone wants to see all of it:
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/decision-document/2021 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix - Offence - Car 33 - Causing a collision.pdf

This part bothers me:
"Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car
first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the
first to cross the DRS."
(it also said neither car wanted to cross the line first a bit later on)

but Surely the DRS detection line shouldn't matter when it comes to letting a car go past.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
BREAKING: Verstappen handed time penalty for Hamilton incident - but stays second
There we have it, the verdict is in from the stewards.
They have handed Max Verstappen a 10-second time penalty for that clash with Lewis Hamilton on Lap 37, although he stays second as he was 16 seconds ahead of third-placed Valtteri Bottas at that time.
He is also given two penalty points on his license.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
There does seem to be a lot of space but that’s asking Lewis (without knowing what’s going on) to go off the racing line with a corner coming up, where he’d never go for the overtake. Max could’ve done a better job, I.e., move to the right and stay there. I don’t think there’ll be penalties though
He does move to the right early but then he comes back to the centre and then goes to the right again…all the while changing his speed. If he has broke on the racing line to ensure Lewis passes before DRS with Lewis behind him after the changes in direction I seriously think he’s in trouble. I don’t understand the telemetry data though!

Edit - 10 second penalty which makes zero difference. All on Abu Dhabi then!

The Hilton

That's expected, let's give him a penalty which has zero impact on the outcome.
It's basically free reign to break the rules again.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Max doesn't attempt to take Lewis out next weekend, he just doesn't seem to have to follow the same rulebook everyone else does.

hobbers

Good for actual F1 fans to get the result we all wanted.

A title decider where the best wins.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
People give up positions multiple times every race but I have never seen anyone do it like Max did it today. Just go to the side and let him have it

hp88

Lewis and max and as good as each other and as bad as each other.

To be a world champion you have to be a bit of a dick. They've both played dirty throughout this season.

Just enjoy the battle, it's been a while since we've had this.
Lewis is smart enough to back out when required, it's something he has learnt over the years, even when he was scrapping with Vettel and Rosberg it was never this bad.

Max on the other hand just fails to yield, you would hope he will learn but there's no one around him to guide him or put him straight.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
People give up positions multiple times every race but I have never seen anyone do it like Max did it today. Just go to the side and let him have it
It's bizarre. He's a man child. On the first restart why can't he let Lewis take the corner, he's banged to rights. But no, he has to come back onto the racing line impeding him, that's the biggest example of spoiled and entitled racing you will see. Every other driver on the grid would slip back in behind Lewis rejoining the track or atleast side by side.

Uniquim

Good for actual F1 fans to get the result we all wanted.

A title decider where the best wins.
Unless they crash, and Max wins the championship due to winning a 2-lap race in Spa. :nervous:
I really, really hope they don't both crash out in the last race. I want them to race for it.

Well, Max slowed down quite a lot earlier to let Lewis past, but he didn't overtake.

Here's the summary in the FIA document:
"At turn 21 the driver of car 33 was given the instruction to give back a position to car 44 and was told by the team to do so “strategically”.
Car 33 slowed significantly at turn 26. However, it was obvious that neither driver wanted to take the lead prior to DRS detection line 3.
The driver of Car 33 stated that he was wondering why Car 44 had not overtaken and the driver of Car 44 stated that, not having been aware at that stage that Car 33 was giving the position back, was unaware of the reason Car 33 was slowing.

In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the Stewards was that the driver of Car 33 then braked suddenly (69 bar) and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration

Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS."

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
BREAKING: Verstappen handed time penalty for Hamilton incident - but stays second
There we have it, the verdict is in from the stewards.
They have handed Max Verstappen a 10-second time penalty for that clash with Lewis Hamilton on Lap 37, although he stays second as he was 16 seconds ahead of third-placed Valtteri Bottas at that time.
He is also given two penalty points on his license.
On top of the 5? So 15 total? That's awfully close!

hobbers

Unless they crash, and Max wins the championship due to winning a 2-lap race in Spa. :nervous:
I really, really hope they don't both crash out in the last race. I want them to race for it.
Yeah hopefully, it's great and poetic that an entire season's worth of action boils down to who can finish ahead of the other on the last race.

After how many years of the last 2-5 races (2016 aside) just being pointless processions to see which best of the rest team can finish 3rd or 4th.

blythy

Fascist Dictator
The FIA really need to look at

1) teams making changes to cars under a red flag.

2) giving back places in a DRS zone. If you're giving a place back you really shouldn't be entitled to DRS, surely?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I feel Bottas drives clean but Perez is no saint. I would worry if I was Hamilton.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I think for the most part the collision was caused by confusion as Lewis had no idea what Max was slowing for. Had Lewis known, I think it would've been a different story. But that being said, Max definitely is to blame for it based on exactly what you've pointed out. It's erratic driving. IMO he should get some form of punishment.

Also, Lewis ran max wide? Are you talking about lap 15 after the restart? It was his corner by a mile.
I forget the lap number. He received a black and white flag for it.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
The FIA really need to look at

1) teams making changes to cars under a red flag.

2) giving back places in a DRS zone. If you're giving a place back you really shouldn't be entitled to DRS, surely?
Agreed on both. I thought giving positions and then immediately retaking was handled years ago but I guess not.

Fluctuation0161

We're bickering over the wrong thing here, whether he braked, left enough space yada yada yada. That's on the race director for not making the situation clear. How can only one driver be informed!? Crazy crazy crazy. Masi really showing he's not up to the task.
Masi is terrible.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
You can get 2/1 with SkyBet on max winning the title, if that interests anybody

Uniquim

Yeah hopefully, it's great and poetic that an entire season's worth of action boils down to who can finish ahead of the other on the last race.

After how many years of the last 2-5 races (2016 aside) just being pointless processions to see which best of the rest team can finish 3rd or 4th.
Yeah, that'd be the best end to it, regardless of who wins.
Really hope the regulation changes for next season doesn't disrupt the competitiveness we have this year. It's been so much fun throughout.
Makes such a huge difference when there's an actual fight for the title.

I forget the lap number. He received a black and white flag for it.
Michael Masi told Mercedes it was borderline black and white for 'unsportsmanlike behaviour' I think he said.
Basically warning them, but he didn't actually receive the black and white flag.