F1 2021 Season

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
You can definitely argue “use of safety car” is exceptionally vague - to me it means when a safety car is to be used - the rules for the procedure of withdrawing are laid out clearly. They weren’t followed.
Would interpret it as deployment of SC as well, but like you said, very vague

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
If they fail at CAS what's next, the US supreme Court?
they shouldn’t be allowed to take it to a court of sport. the fia have clearly stated that the rules can be made up by the director on the fly and the teams just have to put up with it. that’s not a sport: i’m not a conspiracy nut but as a result, a race director with an agenda can manufacture a result.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
This exactly like in Wrestlemania 9 when Yokozuna beat Bret Hart for the title, only for the ref to randomly allow Hulk Hogan to immediately challenge (and beat) a tired Yokozuna and win the belt.

Powers that be changing the rules to entertain.

Pro-Wrestling and F1 = Sports Entertainment.
sorry but WWE has never been a sport. It is manufactured tripe.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
One thing that I do think is important to note.. A hell of a lot of people were thinking Max would drive like a twat today and deliberately hit Lewis. He didn’t. And he had the chance on lap 1.

Max drove well and has driven well for the entire season (apart from the stupid moments he’s had). But fair play to him. He’s made it a very exciting season and this won’t be his only WC.

spiriticon

Max will win the next 6 or 7 titles I'm sure, then he will have to pass the torch when the FIA get bored.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Everybody not following Lewis disagree's with this.

It's Damon 94 all over again :lol: :lol:

Salty english fans and everybody else lapping it up
I’m not English and never really been a fan of Hamilton. That ending made a mockery of the sport.

hobbers

One thing that I do think is important to note.. A hell of a lot of people were thinking Max would drive like a twat today and deliberately hit Lewis. He didn’t. And he had the chance on lap 1.

Max drove well and has driven well for the entire season (apart from the stupid moments he’s had). But fair play to him. He’s made it a very exciting season and this won’t be his only WC.
It was always going to be the case. Same for Perez and Bottas.

Bottas could have cleaned Max out at Saudi Arabia when he fecked the restart but he bailed out instead and lost a load of places.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
The sport is being damaged by the FIA. Overruling would bring a little more credibility to the sport and hopefully overhaul Masi and Co.

The appeal should go to the top.
[/QUOT
Absolute joke of a circus.

Hamilton should have won that. I am still astonished hours on how they dealt with it.

People say that Verstappen won’t care - he will. Massive asterisk against his name in many people’s eyes for the foreseeable future. He had a phenomenal season, but that doesn’t dismiss the comeback Hamilton made to claw himself back into title contention and the drive he pulled off for 58 of the laps today before being the subsequent shitshow.
he wont, he is the World Champion

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

it’s been a good result for him. i really didn’t want him before today with his sound bites and hypocrisy but circumstances have mellowed me. not his fault it ended how it did. someone just decided he should get the chance to win it that his performances deserved this year.

The Firestarter

they shouldn’t be allowed to take it to a court of sport. the fia have clearly stated that the rules can be made up by the director on the fly and the teams just have to put up with it. that’s not a sport: i’m not a conspiracy nut but as a result, a race director with an agenda can manufacture a result.
That holds true for basically every official in every sport.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
sorry but WWE has never been a sport. It is manufactured tripe.
F1 literally has a "Constructors Championship" title for the manufacturers. It's not tripe but it's certainly "manufactured".

I was joking about WWE but F1 is not and has never been a sport. It's a fascinating engineering contest with some wonky rules. It's closer to Robot Wars than it is to the 400meter dash.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
what agenda did he have?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
That holds true for basically every official in every sport.
not really. what happened today is akin to the ref deciding what is a goal and what isn’t a goal, despite having a clear rule set laid out in the rules.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
If it's open to interpretation it wont go anywhere.
I agree. But it's not black and white.

Besides, we all know Merc won't push overly hard. They'll be after leeway for the next few seasons and the rule changes. It's F1, they don't actually give a shit about rules being changed and the driver championship, they want to know what they'll get to help stay on top and not push this further.

Toto isn't a pussy, he's a c***.

0le

Article 15.3
The Race Director shall have overriding authority in the following matters and the clerk of the course may give orders in respect of them only with his express agreement:
a) The control of practice and the race, adherence to the timetable and, if he deems it necessary, the making of any proposal to the stewards to modify the timetable in accordance with the Code or Sporting Regulations.
b) The stopping of any car in accordance with the Code or Sporting Regulations.
c) The stopping of practice or suspension of the race in accordance with the Sporting Regulations if he deems it unsafe to continue and ensuring that the correct restart procedure is carried out.
d) The starting procedure.
e) The use of the safety car.

This rule will probably mean any Merc appeals are batted away both internally and at CAS.
That is that then. No way CAS overrules that.

But in my view, that merely means when the safety car should be used and not how it should be used. But I agree with others, it is frustratingly vague. Hopefully we see clearer rules in the future.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
F1 literally has a "Constructors Championship" title for the manufacturers. It's not tripe but it's certainly "manufactured".

I was joking about WWE but F1 is not and has never been a sport. It's a fascinating engineering contest with some wonky rules. It's closer to Robot Wars than it is to the 400meter dash.
cant disagree with that

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
what agenda did he have?
i’m not saying he had one. the fia have made it clear that the race director has authority to ignore certain rules if they want to. that means a bad race director, say a race director that has had most people moaning at him all year, can contrive a result as they seem fit, with maybe what brings the best stories or the highest social media engagement in mind.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
That is that then. No way CAS overrules that.

But in my view, that merely means when the safety car should be used and not how it should be used. But I agree with others, it is frustratingly vague. Hopefully we see clearer rules in the future.
I doubt it. Look what this has done. Its like Sepp Blatter not wanting tech so that everyone is talking about the decisions.

spiriticon

C'mon Lewis, announce Formula E! This is probably as good a time to make the change as ever!

passing-wind

What a mess that was.

Forget who won, that race had more attention on it than any in about 20 years and for it to be decided by a farcical race director/steward decision... that's probably turned off 90% of the potential new fans they had in the making.

There is no way Michael Masi can continue in his position next season.
This is definitive of myself. Gave F1 a try, I really enjoy cars generally but watching so many laps can be slightly boring imo. Boxing, Football and NBA in no particular order.

It is a shame though irrespective of who won it would have been far more proficient if it was on the terms of racing solely.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
it’s been a good result for him. i really didn’t want him before today with his sound bites and hypocrisy but circumstances have mellowed me. not his fault it ended how it did. someone just decided he should get the chance to win it that his performances deserved this year.
completely agree

Toad

Agreed but I also don't think a title should be determined by one race like Silverstone when one driver takes out another and the penalty received has no bearing and gains 25 points over his rival as a result.

There has been many bad calls throughout this season, including Lewis not being punished today. Bottais held up Max when Lewis was pitting last week, totally ignored by everyone, Hamilton pushed Verstappen off last week again no penalty.

Both drivers have benefited from poor decisions this season if people judge it objectively IMHO.
There will always be opinions in any sport and I’d quite happily say I have a differing opinion on silverstone but it’s irrelevant. Season is over, one of them was going to win and whoever it was deserves it because it’s been a pretty great season with every kind of drama you could think of.

Fluctuation0161

Whilst you and others would have a completely different viewpoint if the roles were reversed lets be completely honest.
To be completely honest I would not want any championship to be decided on the whim of the racing director fixing it and creating a "miracle" in the final laps. For any team/driver.

The Firestarter

not really. what happened today is akin to the ref deciding what is a goal and what isn’t a goal, despite having a clear rule set laid out in the rules.
What I am saying is that in any officiated sport the referees can change the result in case they wish to. So that does not make it different than other sports.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
What I am saying is that in any officiated sport the referees can change the result in case they wish to. So that does not make it different than other sports.
No, refs don't have overarching power over rules. They may apply them wrong or make mistakes, but they're not paid go against them because he feels like it