F1 2022 Season

hobbers

Gutting for Sainz.

Max had the pace to be on pole but couldn’t put all the sectors together.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
What happened to Sainz final lap there? Gutted for Alonso.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
But how do Mercedes go from the best car on the grid to the dog they have now.
They spent last season developing this this car
I know I keep banging this drum but they literally have two side pod designs. The cars been a dog from the outset and they’ve tried to fix it by being radical with new design.

It actually makes sense now how much they caught up to redbulls last year after 5-6 rounds. I think by that time they realised they had a dog and went balls to the wall with last season to get a title before the inevitable.

RoyH1

I’m pleased to see McLaren performing well after a couple of stinkers

hobbers

4th to 10th could be quite an epic battle with the 2 angry Spaniards hunting the 3 Brits.

Canagel

Bad luck streak for ALO does not end, hydraulic issue on downshifting so he couldn't slow the car down for Turn 11. Purple in sector 2 so was provisionally top3/4
Not even top 3 he was on course for pole. As fast as the Ferraris in the 1st sector and 3 tenths faster than everyone in the 2nd sector. No luck, just pain.

Ahmer Baig

Not even top 3 he was on course for pole. As fast as the Ferraris in the 1st sector and 3 tenths faster than everyone in the 2nd sector. No luck, just pain.
Once Alpine sort their reliability issues then we can see Alonso on Podium in this season.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah It could be, I think Mercedes are the 3rd team , but the others are getting closer all the time, No upgrades this race has brough them even closer.
Think that's just about right - they have a higher level of base performance than Alpine but between the two teams Alonso looks to have the highest ceiling at the moment. That said, it is disconcerting he's already on his 3rd PU!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Stroll (correctly) penalised for the red flag in Q1. Personally don't think Latifi did anything wrong - he pulled aside because he was told someone was on a hot lap, then he saw Stroll going slowly and didn't want to get stuck behind. There was an obvious gap and he went for it - if Stroll had even a notion of what a mirror is everything would have been fine.

Stroll's interview after qualifying was hilarious - completely unable to defend himself and he just kept going on about how "it was awkward".

pacifictheme

Stroll (correctly) penalised for the red flag in Q1. Personally don't think Latifi did anything wrong - he pulled aside because he was told someone was on a hot lap, then he saw Stroll going slowly and didn't want to get stuck behind. There was an obvious gap and he went for it - if Stroll had even a notion of what a mirror is everything would have been fine.

Stroll's interview after qualifying was hilarious - completely unable to defend himself and he just kept going on about how "it was awkward".
Yeah agreed. Unlucky for latifi to be involved. Stroll has a history of this and his interview after qualifying was class. A man who knows he is very much in the wrong.

He's done this sort of thing so many times. Worst driver on the grid, especially when it comes to awareness.

dinostar77

Latifi is still an awful driver, really shouldnt be in F1.

Pretty impressive from leclerc, the ferrari had some porposing on the back straight after T9 and still got pole with 0.3 ahead of max.

Interesting that Sky F1 mentioned that this years RB has a tendency to oversteer which Perez likes but Max doesnt. No dobut RB working to sort that out. Their suspension setup is really impressive you hardly see any porposing on the onboards for max and perez.

Mercedes got lucky that Sainz and Alonso messed up (alonso could have been top 4). Thry will be delighted with p5 and p6. That car looks undriveable at times. Martin Brundle mentioned that in the slow mo's you could see the contact patch of the tyre leaving the ground. They need the new floor asap, not sure if it will be ready for imola.

Good to see McLaren up there, though they may slip back down the order for imola as their boss said that Melbourne circuit layout is hiding some of their deficiencies.

Will be interesting to see if Haas and Alpha Tauri lack of competitiveness is due to this track or that others have made more improvements/starting to understand their cars better.

pauldyson1uk

I think Mercedes are at their level P5 and 6, still shocked they brought no upgrades.
Alonso was on a good lap and would have been top 4, but race pace I don't think he would beat either Russell or Lewis. Agreed that car looks horrible at time, but I think the power is there, just cant put it all down with the aero they are running.

dinostar77

I think Mercedes are at their level P5 and 6, still shocked they brought no upgrades.
Alonso was on a good lap and would have been top 4, but race pace I don't think he would beat either Russell or Lewis. Agreed that car looks horrible at time, but I think the power is there, just cant put it all down with the aero they are running.
Alonso said afterwards he thinks he could have gotta pole. Not sure about that, but its a shame we wont find out. On a sidenote, Alpine boss mentioned that they have one of the strongest/rigid floors on the grid as it was designed like that from the beginning so they didnt need to use stays like many other teams have done. What that has mean is that the Alpine is heavier than it should be and as they reduce the weight of the car with upgrades it should get quicker.

In regards to Mercedes, there was talk at the start of the week of updates being brought to this GP but they didnt materialise. Maybe they weren't ready? Or decided to delay till imola?

There were three teams affected by the DHL issues this week. Basically the DHL ships taking parts to Australia were delayed. They docked at Singapore and the F1 containers transferred to, some jumbo jets by DHL and flown to Australia to get to the GP in time. It affected, three teams on the grid but they werent named. Could have been the teams that brought no upgrades to this gp.

I agree there is a quick car in there somewhere, but until the porposing is resolved we wont know. One of the analysts on The Race website mentioned that the Mercedes is producing alot of downforce, hence the extreme porposing. Get the porposing resolved and they will be quick as they will be able to run the car with less wing and therefore less drag.

pauldyson1uk

Alonso said afterwards he thinks he could have gotta pole. Not sure about that, but its a shame we wont find out. On a sidenote, Alpine boss mentioned that they have one of the strongest/rigid floors on the grid as it was designed like that from the beginning so they didnt need to use stays like many other teams have done. What that has mean is that the Alpine is heavier than it should be and as they reduce the weight of the car with upgrades it should get quicker.

In regards to Mercedes, there was talk at the start of the week of updates being brought to this GP but they didnt materialise. Maybe they weren't ready? Or decided to delay till imola?

There were three teams affected by the DHL issues this week. Basically the DHL ships taking parts to Australia were delayed. They docked at Singapore and the F1 containers transferred to, some jumbo jets by DHL and flown to Australia to get to the GP in time. It affected, three teams on the grid but they werent named. Could have been the teams that brought no upgrades to this gp.

I agree there is a quick car in there somewhere, but until the porposing is resolved we wont know. One of the analysts on The Race website mentioned that the Mercedes is producing alot of downforce, hence the extreme porposing. Get the porposing resolved and they will be quick as they will be able to run the car with less wing and therefore less drag.
I posted about the DHL problem, yeah may be the reason some had no upgrades, in Mercedes case maybe just not ready.
Solving the proposing is the crux of the Mercedes problem, I think , get that sorted and like you say, they can run with less wing, I do think we will see the real Mercedes this season , but not in time for Lewis to get number 8, but win races later in the season, yes I think so.
Alonso thinks he could have got pole, I don't think so.

Fluctuation0161

Great to see Mclaren competing a little more. Lando said it might just be because this track suits their car rather than any changes. Will be interesting to see.

Lewis commented that if you push the Mercedes too hard it is spiteful and bites back "like a viper or a rattlesnake" :lol:. Sounds tetchy.
According to Toto, they are working on a long term solution because until the fundamental problem(s) are fixed there is no point looking at small gains.

One another note, what was Stroll doing!

And congrats to Leclerc. I like him but I feel like he lacks the nastiness/ruthlessness to win a close title battle with the likes of Verstappen or Hamilton (unlikely).

flameinthesun

I think Imola is a defining moment for Mercedes this season. They need to show some forward development. If the upgrades they bring doesn't bring them closer to RB and ferrari then its hard to see this season being anything more than a failure from a design and performance point of view.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Will you lot wake up early for this race, stay up super late or just miss it and watch the highlights?

pauldyson1uk

Alex Albon has been disqualified from the results of qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix, after his Williams team were unable to provide the FIA with a sufficient fuel sample from his FW44.

Albon took P16 in qualifying in Melbourne, faring better than his luckless team mate Nicholas Latifi, who was swiped by Aston Martin’s Lance Stroll into a heavy crash in Q1, for which Stroll received a three-place grid drop.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-fuel-irregularity.PUsXr9QdhRWPRivVAgDWl.html

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They did some sectors time checking on sky italy and came to the conclusion that Sainz's red flagged lap would have been good for pole(and P3 by the end)...

dinostar77

Will you lot wake up early for this race, stay up super late or just miss it and watch the highlights?
If i can get away with having the tv to myself at 6am till the race ends then yes, watch it live though my toddler might disagree. Otherwise as with the races this season so far, i watch them after 7pm when my toddler has gone to bed so i can relax and watch and chill without distraction.

dinostar77

I think Imola is a defining moment for Mercedes this season. They need to show some forward development. If the upgrades they bring doesn't bring them closer to RB and ferrari then its hard to see this season being anything more than a failure from a design and performance point of view.
I would have said race 6 at Barcelona would be the one to aim for. One of those circuits that tests every aspect of your car (as boring a circuit as it is to watch). Mercedes need to get ontop of the porposing by then because the race after that is Monaco, where you definitely eventually crash out if your car is bouncing under braking. Then we have three superfast circuits, Azerbaijan (you dont want to be bouncing up and down at 190mph), canada and Silverstone.

So for me Spainish gp is key, if they miss that window, then Silverstone must be the last chance before you give up and work on next seasons car (if there are any small tweaks to the rules for next seasons car).