F1 2022 Season

Ahmer Baig

According to Adam Cooper, Alpine were the team asking for the new DRS zone to be removed. It looks like they've got a rocket in a straight line and benefitted from it being removed.

According to Viaplay (Finland) Alonso was the most vocal one to ask it to be removed.

Let's hope there's just one zone at Imola.

Ahmer Baig

Alonso Onboard Q3 lap. See how negligible porpoising is on his car.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Alonso Onboard Q3 lap. See how negligible porpoising is on his car.

It still does bounce a fair amount down the straight but it's working very well. Alonso seems very at home with it. Nice to see him in a fast car again, a shame for him he didnt get top 4 like he should have today.

Dan

It still does bounce a fair amount down the straight but it's working very well. Alonso seems very at home with it. Nice to see him in a fast car again, a shame for him he didnt get top 4 like he should have today.
That onboard footage of Sainz’s head bobbing up and down was scary, this can’t be good long term for any of the drivers.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah agreed. Unlucky for latifi to be involved. Stroll has a history of this and his interview after qualifying was class. A man who knows he is very much in the wrong.

He's done this sort of thing so many times. Worst driver on the grid, especially when it comes to awareness.
Latifi is still an awful driver, really shouldnt be in F1.

Pretty impressive from leclerc, the ferrari had some porposing on the back straight after T9 and still got pole with 0.3 ahead of max.

Interesting that Sky F1 mentioned that this years RB has a tendency to oversteer which Perez likes but Max doesnt. No dobut RB working to sort that out. Their suspension setup is really impressive you hardly see any porposing on the onboards for max and perez.

Mercedes got lucky that Sainz and Alonso messed up (alonso could have been top 4). Thry will be delighted with p5 and p6. That car looks undriveable at times. Martin Brundle mentioned that in the slow mo's you could see the contact patch of the tyre leaving the ground. They need the new floor asap, not sure if it will be ready for imola.

Good to see McLaren up there, though they may slip back down the order for imola as their boss said that Melbourne circuit layout is hiding some of their deficiencies.

Will be interesting to see if Haas and Alpha Tauri lack of competitiveness is due to this track or that others have made more improvements/starting to understand their cars better.
Agreed with both of the bolded here - Latifi is definitely a poor driver, but at the same time this is somehow Stroll's 6th season in F1 and as such he really should be doing better.

I don't personally think Stroll is the absolute worst driver on the grid on any given weekend, but I do think he's the worst when career experience and trajectory are taken into account. The number of absurd and ridiculous mistakes he is still making is astonishing.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Confirmation of no penalty for Checo for possible infraction of the Russell yellow flag in Q2 - seems like the right decision given the telemetry data.

Adam-Utd

That onboard footage of Sainz’s head bobbing up and down was scary, this can’t be good long term for any of the drivers.
Crazy isnt it. No idea how they manage to pick braking zones at that sort of speed while bouncing like that. His vision must be ruined surely.

I'm surprised F1 is allowing it to happen really.

dinostar77

[
Crazy isnt it. No idea how they manage to pick braking zones at that sort of speed while bouncing like that. His vision must be ruined surely.

I'm surprised F1 is allowing it to happen really.
Its a catch 22 situation. Simulations and CFD work cant replicate the porposing effect. The only way to understand it, is to run the cars on the circuit and trial and error etc. Therefore the drivers have to suffer through it.

FIA could raise the ride height of all the cars to a minimum but that doesnt fix the underlying issue. Active suspension which would fix it in a heartbeat is banned as are mass dampers.

Its pretty ridiculous F1 have found themselves in this situation but short of a huge accident caused by porposing or health issues caused by it affecting drivers i dont think they will do anything.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

I expect Alonso and Sainz to get b

Its a catch 22 situation. Simulations and CFD work cant replicate the porposing effect. The only way to understand it, is to run the cars on the circuit and trial and error etc. Therefore the drivers have to suffer through it.

FIA could raise the ride height of all the cars to a minimum but that doesnt fix the underlying issue. Active suspension which would fix it in a heartbeat is banned as are mass dampers.

Its pretty ridiculous F1 have found themselves in this situation but short of a huge accident caused by porposing or health issues caused by it affecting drivers i dont think they will do anything.
The effect is nothing new and I think all expected some element of it - but as you say the adaptive suspension of previous years basically eliminated it.

i'm sure they'll get round it eventually but it's not really a great look for the formula IMO. They should change the rules next year IMO.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The effect is nothing new and I think all expected some element of it - but as you say the adaptive suspension of previous years basically eliminated it.

i'm sure they'll get round it eventually but it's not really a great look for the formula IMO. They should change the rules next year IMO.
the solution might be as simple as looking at MotoGP and their right height devises. Not actually an electronic aid but mechanical which involves moving the gas around in the shock absorbers to increase and lower ride height etc.

Works the same way as adaptive suspension but is operated by the riders not electronics.

Ahmer Baig

Oil leak on Fernando's car this morning.
Can this guy not get a break.

Maybe Alonso should try sacrificing some goats....

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Why is everyone just blaming Stroll? Latifi is as much to blame for being an idiot. Who the feck lets a guy overtake during qualifying only to try and overtake the next turn.