F1 2022 Season

Abizzz

Color scheme looks like the interior of any 80's built tennis changing room.

Jerch

If it's their real car they really slept on a lot design decisions compared to what Aston Martin did. If what Aston Martin did will work is another thing but I'm confident that they can compare in the wind tunnel and simulations how their design compares to design which is similar to demo car, which McLaren car is.

Fully Fledged

any one see the cry more hamilton fan boys at aston moaning, crying about the final few laps of last year? crazy the lengths hamilton fans will go to.

seb wettle

lance troll

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60325767
I totally agree. You can't go changing the rules in the middle of the race. Then to come out after the race and say the Race Director has the right to change the rules if he wants is diabolical.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If it's their real car they really slept on a lot design decisions compared to what Aston Martin did. If what Aston Martin did will work is another thing but I'm confident that they can compare in the wind tunnel and simulations how their design compares to design which is similar to demo car, which McLaren car is.
I think we can confidently say that nobody is sharing the things that actually matter.

Every car will look fairly similar, but that extra 10% will be what makes the difference. Mclaren have certainly hidden plenty.

I doubt we will see most of it until the last week of testing from all teams. By that point it's too late to be copied.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

pauldyson1uk

Whatever the outcome, I just hope that it is not just a change of race management.
Never again can it be allowed for the race director to so comprehensively rob a driver, whoever he is of a legitimate race win and with it, the World Championship.
Fully agree.
The way that race ended was wrong and should never happen again.
Just want the season to start now, F1 needs to move on, but the likes of Sky wont let it drop.

pauldyson1uk

Sprint races are penciled in for 2022
Imola
Austria
Brazil
There will be an increase in the number of points awarded to the winner from three to eight. Points will also be awarded to the top eight finishers, rather than just the top three, and allocated in one-point increments.

The official name has also been changed from sprint qualifying to simply ‘sprint’ in recognition of the fact that the qualifying session will be held on the Friday of each sprint event. It also more accurately reflects the fact that the sprint is a race.

It has also been confirmed that for statistical purposes the accolade of pole position will be awarded to the drive who sets the pace in the qualifying session. On two out of three occasions last year, this was a different driver to the one who won the sprint and therefore started the grand prix at the front.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think we can confidently say that nobody is sharing the things that actually matter.

Every car will look fairly similar, but that extra 10% will be what makes the difference. Mclaren have certainly hidden plenty.

I doubt we will see most of it until the last week of testing from all teams. By that point it's too late to be copied.
I think also worth noting is that the Venturi tunnels and ground effect they can generate will be critical to the overall performance / package... And nobody is showing off the underside of their cars ... And even when testing and racing starts it's going to be really hard for other teams to get a glimpse unless somebody goes upside down

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think also worth noting is that the Venturi tunnels and ground effect they can generate will be critical to the overall performance / package... And nobody is showing off the underside of their cars ... And even when testing and racing starts it's going to be really hard for other teams to get a glimpse unless somebody goes upside down
Agreed on that. I doubt many things will come much of a surprise anyway, usually the only things are loopholes. They've had a longer than usual amount of time to trail and error these cars due to COVID.

I'm quietly hoping everybody will be pretty quick out of the box, and we get our most competitive year yet.

dinostar77

Belgium GP farce has now been fixed going forwards.

"...FIA has changed the rules around shortened races, with no points awarded for a race unless a minimum of two laps have been completed by the race leader without a safety car or virtual safety car – meaning no points would have been awarded for last year's Belgian GP under the new rules.

Here's a full breakdown of the new points system per scheduled race distance completed:
No points will be awarded unless a minimum of two laps have been completed by the leader without a Safety Car and/or Virtual Safety Car intervention.

If the leader has completed more than two laps but less than 25% of the scheduled race distance, the top five finishers will be awarded points as follows:
1st – 6 points
2nd – 4 points
3rd – 3 points
4th – 2 points
5th – 1 point

If the leader has completed 25% but less than 50% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded as follows:
1st – 13 points
2nd – 10 points
3rd – 8 points
4th – 6 points
5th – 5 point
6th – 4 points
7th – 3 points
8th – 2 points
9th – 1 point

If the leader has completed 50% but less than 75% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded as follows:
1st – 19 points
2nd – 14 points
3rd – 12 points
4th – 9 points
5th – 8 point
6th – 6 points
7th – 5 points
8th – 3 points
9th – 2 points
10th – 1 point

The proposed updates to the F1 rules are set to be made official after approval by the FIA World Motor Sport Council.

Source: Autosport/f1

ArjenIsM3

"...FIA has changed the rules around shortened races, with no points awarded for a race unless a minimum of two laps have been completed by the race leader without a safety car or virtual safety car – meaning no points would have been awarded for last year's Belgian GP under the new rules.

Here's a full breakdown of the new points system per scheduled race distance completed:
No points will be awarded unless a minimum of two laps have been completed by the leader without a Safety Car and/or Virtual Safety Car intervention.

If the leader has completed more than two laps but less than 25% of the scheduled race distance, the top five finishers will be awarded points as follows:
1st – 6 points
2nd – 4 points
3rd – 3 points
4th – 2 points
5th – 1 point

If the leader has completed 25% but less than 50% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded as follows:
1st – 13 points
2nd – 10 points
3rd – 8 points
4th – 6 points
5th – 5 point
6th – 4 points
7th – 3 points
8th – 2 points
9th – 1 point

If the leader has completed 50% but less than 75% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded as follows:
1st – 19 points
2nd – 14 points
3rd – 12 points
4th – 9 points
5th – 8 point
6th – 6 points
7th – 5 points
8th – 3 points
9th – 2 points
10th – 1 point

The proposed updates to the F1 rules are set to be made official after approval by the FIA World Motor Sport Council.

Good.

pauldyson1uk

The sidepods looks very brash compared to the rest and the last decade or so
yeah I can see where you coming from.

1st – 6 points
2nd – 4 points
3rd – 3 points
4th – 2 points
5th – 1 point

1st – 13 points
2nd – 10 points
3rd – 8 points
4th – 6 points
5th – 5 point
6th – 4 points
7th – 3 points
8th – 2 points
9th – 1 point

1st – 19 points
2nd – 14 points
3rd – 12 points
4th – 9 points
5th – 8 point
6th – 6 points
7th – 5 points
8th – 3 points
9th – 2 points
10th – 1 point

Good, makes sure that the farce of Belgium will never happen again.

Abizzz

FIA will not disclose findings of inquiry into Abu Dhabi Grand Prix controversy

The FIA has chosen not to disclose the findings of its inquiry into the controversial climax of the Formula One world championship-deciding Abu Dhabi Grand Prix last season. The sport’s governing body presented its report to the teams on Monday but in the forthcoming days will reveal only its plans of proposed changes.
So their own findings are worse than what the world already knows!?

Fecking Insane Amateurs. But sure lets applaud them for coming up with something a 12 year old could have come up with 2 mins after Spa finished.

Last edited:

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Hiding the findings will go a long way to helping the sport fix it's image... said no one.

If they intend to hide them, I'm assuming it was worse than what the fans/media have gotten so far, and they are worried it will just kick off again.

pauldyson1uk

Hiding the finding , is the worst thing they could have done, all it will do to most is confirm the cock up was fixed.
What they should be doing is publishing the report in full and explaining in detail, how they are going to make sure it does not happen again.
The whole of 2022 will be tarnish by what happened at Abu Dhabi, even if Masi is replaced , every decision will be scrutinized by everybody, 2021 and Abu Dhabi will be mentioned for ever.

Fluctuation0161

1st – 6 points
2nd – 4 points
3rd – 3 points
4th – 2 points
5th – 1 point

1st – 13 points
2nd – 10 points
3rd – 8 points
4th – 6 points
5th – 5 point
6th – 4 points
7th – 3 points
8th – 2 points
9th – 1 point

1st – 19 points
2nd – 14 points
3rd – 12 points
4th – 9 points
5th – 8 point
6th – 6 points
7th – 5 points
8th – 3 points
9th – 2 points
10th – 1 point

Good.

I assume it was Masi's choice to award the points last year?

I.e it was his discretion rather than a concrete rule? He could've called off the race and not awarded anything.

Abizzz

Because then everyone will know it was a fix, I assume?
They must have found something that would make them look even worse than they look already. Who know's what it was.

However this isn't exactly the CIA or KGB we're dealing with here. We're almost certain to find out at some point.

Fluctuation0161

They must have found something that would make them look even worse than they look already. Who know's what it was.
It's already tainted the sport.

The best action would be to publicise it, accept it was a farce and a big mistake correct the rules/procedures and move on.

This is a terrible way to deal with it. No way to regain faith in the competition with this leadership.

I assume some teams will leak the information anyway...

F-Red

Good.

I.e it was his discretion rather than a concrete rule? He could've called off the race and not awarded anything.
No, F1 regulations state that a race lasting longer than 2 laps but less than 75% race distance will award half points. His call would have been to get the race done to a stage of completion, in this case 3 laps, to garner a result. As logistically waiting a day for another race just isn't feasible with a race the following Sunday.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Good.

ffs. let’s stop having a go at masi and moaning about last year. it would have been jonathan wheatley at red bull that decided it.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I really like it but I seem to be going against the grain

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Too much blue on the grid these days ffs

vangagal

The front livery was better last year with some of yellow line but the sidepot and back section is better this year. Need some sponsor on it.

dinostar77