F1 2022 Season

RepardReece

Alternatively Lewis could try to be a better wheel to wheel racer. Follow the many examples from Leclerc, Sainz and Russell going wheel to wheel vs Max through long sections of track this season, and leave enough space. And then he'd have won the race.
Always have an answer don't you, even if Hamilton left enough room, Max was always going into him, he was going too fast for such a tight cornering angle:

mitChley

He can't even allow Lewis one win. It did look deliberate to me on the onboard, he did his classic straighten up mid corner.

Anyway here is Perez at Monaco

It's weird how he blips the throttle before the corner sending himself around. I can only think he knew the overcut was well on for the race and decided to just stay ahead of Max in quali to go on for a rare win.

Max onboard, listen at the end. Sounds like he's talking in general about the possibility of doing a good lap and then putting it into the wall so others can't beat you,

I do get frustrated in quali when someone bins it even by accident while others are on pole laps. Have always though they should be allowed to redo their lap, or add time on plus outlap for those affected, have more single file quali, not sure but particularly Monaco you can just go off the escape road and draw a yellow ruining other peoples laps.
The touch of the throttle is very odd if it was not intentional, this is exactly what you would do if you were trying to lose the back end.

Missed Apex podcast were talking about if Qualifying could be made like IndyCar where by if you cause a red/yellow flag you then lose your fastest time, I'd not be against it.

hobbers

Always have an answer don't you, even if Hamilton left enough room, Max was always going into him, he was going too fast for such a tight cornering angle:
I actually think it was a rubbish move from Max, number of times I've said about cars trying to pass around the outside of corners like this one, or like Brooklands/Village at Silverstone, or the hairpins at RBR. Usually ends badly, usually a stupidly big risk.

But Lewis closed the door and was incredibly lucky not to have been spun or suffer any worse damage. Poor from both as usual when vs each other.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I actually think it was a rubbish move from Max, number of times I've said about cars trying to pass around the outside of corners like this one, or like Brooklands/Village at Silverstone, or the hairpins at RBR. Usually ends badly, usually a stupidly big risk.

But Lewis closed the door and was incredibly lucky not to have been spun or suffer any worse damage. Poor from both as usual when vs each other.
Max knew what was happening, knew the gap was closing and just plowed into Hamilton, he never backs out and expects other drivers to instead. A few laps later we seen sainz back out when being squeezed.

I hope redbull have more competition next year just to see max crying everyweek when everything is not going his way

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Max knew what was happening, knew the gap was closing and just plowed into Hamilton, he never backs out and expects other drivers to instead. A few laps later we seen sainz back out when being squeezed.

I hope redbull have more competition next year just to see max crying everyweek when everything is not going his way
One thing you can say about Mercedes is that they are extremely capable at car development. The way they have transformed what was initially an awful car into a race winner in Brazil should make next year much more competitive.
Max v Hamilton and Russell could be epic.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
One thing you can say about Mercedes is that they are extremely capable at car development. The way they have transformed what was initially an awful car into a race winner in Brazil should make next year much more competitive.
Max v Hamilton and Russell could be epic.
I really hope so, I’d like to see Ferrari in the mix too, not too bothered who wins as long as it’s not max again, even though I’d be pleased if Lewis got his deserved 8th

Doracle

I really hope so, I’d like to see Ferrari in the mix too, not too bothered who wins as long as it’s not max again, even though I’d be pleased if Lewis got his deserved 8th
Given how odious he is, I think “anyone but Max” is likely to be a lot of people’s preference next year. Will be a great battle if Ferrari and Mercedes can step up.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
To be fair Max has said he will help Perez in the next race if he has to.

JuriM

Now Verstappen's mother coming out of the woodwork accusing Sergio Perez of cheating on his wife after the Monaco GP..

Netflix scenario stuff.

Max has his reputation for a reason. The aggression and recklessness is not unique, Senna had shades of it early on, but you'd think by now he would have learned to cut those moves out. With Horner in one ear and his parents in the other he's only going to get worse. It will taint an otherwise exceptional talent.

F-Red

Early reports from Italian media that Binotto is out of Ferrari at the end of the year. Recruitment of a new Team Principal will come from within the paddock rather than an existing Ferrari employee.

goalscholes

Early reports from Italian media that Binotto is out of Ferrari at the end of the year. Recruitment of a new Team Principal will come from within the paddock rather than an existing Ferrari employee.
Wow. Good decision making.

Wonder who they’re interested in. Seidl?

Fully Fledged

Checo doesn’t appear to have any idea what was going on. If he’d deliberately crashed and admitted that to the team, he’s hardly going to have been surprised Max didn’t let him past and said that it showed the type of person Max is. In fact, if that had happened, Max would (correctly) have insisted he be kicked from the team. Feels more like some perceived issue invented in Max’s head.
Daddy V has already said that it was because they gave Perez a better strategy than his baby meaning that Perez won the race.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Daddy V has already said that it was because they gave Perez a better strategy than his baby meaning that Perez won the race.
They also gave Perez a crap strategy in Spain when Perez was ahead of Verstappen in the championship.

Unfortunately Red Bull are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They have a generational talent on their hands and they want to do everything to please him and his team. Because otherwise he can leave and go to a Ferrari or Mercedes.

Jerch

Now Verstappen's mother coming out of the woodwork accusing Sergio Perez of cheating on his wife after the Monaco GP..

Netflix scenario stuff.
To be fair, he was spotted drinking on the yacht with some girls.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Max has his reputation for a reason. The aggression and recklessness is not unique, Senna had shades of it early on, but you'd think by now he would have learned to cut those moves out. With Horner in one ear and his parents in the other he's only going to get worse. It will taint an otherwise exceptional talent.
Max is an exceptional talent.
And he is driving for a very capable team that are totally focused on Max.
But you are right about his recklessness.
It is interesting that up to the Brazil GP, he was reasonably well behaved, primarily because he was not challenged.
But in Brazil, Mercedes were faster.
And as soon as Max was challenged by Hamilton, the recklessness returned.

There is no doubt that the only driver he seriously worries about is Hamilton.
And that is what I am most looking forward to next season.
RB and Max being seriously challenged. Might not happen.
But if Mercedes do, especially Hamilton, there could be fireworks.

Fully Fledged

It is interesting that up to the Brazil GP, he was reasonably well behaved, primarily because he was not challenged.

Everybody else gives him a little extra Max room because they know he's not pulling out. Hamilton is so past doing that. If the line is his he'll take it.

I suspect his sheer speed has something to do with it. He has been so dominant his whole career I don't think he's ever had the need to perfect his racecraft, he usually just drove away from everybody, in both karting and junior formulas. It's only now he's in F1 has he encountered drivers who can match him for speed and he has never learned how to go wheel to wheel with them.

Mike Smalling

Max is a great driver, but a difficult personality.
He clashed with Checo, because he shifted himself into the barriers in Monaco.

hobbers

It's only now he's in F1 has he encountered drivers who can match him for speed and he has never learned how to go wheel to wheel with them.
No drama all the times this season he's been wheel to wheel with George, Charles and Carlos, in moments where they were roughly matched for pace. Meanwhile Magnussen and Alonso would have some stories to tell you about drivers who only seem to know how to race cleanly when they have a much faster car.

Last edited:

No drama all the times this season he's been wheel to wheel with George, Charles and Carlos, in moments where they were roughly matched for pace. Meanwhile Magnussen and Alonso would have some stories to tell you about drivers who only seem to know how to race cleanly when they have a much faster car.
Roughly matched for pace?! Max has won 14 of 21 races this season. A Red Bull has been on pole, had the fastest lap or won on 17 of the 21. Of the four they havent, Max has either retired or crashed in all of them. At no point has he ever been 'roughly matched for pace'.

hobbers

Roughly matched for pace?! Max has won 14 of 21 races this season. A Red Bull has been on pole, had the fastest lap or won on 17 of the 21. Of the four they havent, Max has either retired or crashed in all of them. At no point has he ever been 'roughly matched for pace'.
Is your memory really that poor?

Bahrain, Saudi, Australia, Austria etc etc Max vs Charles. Spain, Brazil Max vs George. Canada, Silverstone, Brazil Max vs Sainz, albeit they were never fully alongside in Canada and they touched in Brazil.

There was no significant RB advantage in any of these situations, in a lot of them the RB was slower - Brazil, Austria, Bahrain, Australia. In others there was a tyre offset.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Is your memory really that poor?

Bahrain, Saudi, Australia, Austria etc etc Max vs Charles. Spain, Brazil Max vs George. Canada, Silverstone, Brazil Max vs Sainz, albeit they were never fully alongside in Canada and they touched in Brazil.

There was no significant RB advantage in any of these situations, in a lot of them the RB was slower - Brazil, Austria, Bahrain, Australia. In others there was a tyre offset.
There were races where Ferrari was faster on some sections of the race but Redbull had a much better car than every other team if you take the season ad a whole.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
me: surely this is an open and shut case?

max fans in this thread: