FA Cup 5th Round - 16th to 19th of Feb | Very Appalling Refereeing

Member 90887

Why didn't they put more names of their first team ? they don't play before monday 26/02.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Reminds me of yesterday when we made several changes and people cried that we didn't look like a well drilled, sleek football team. Common sense gets thrown out of the window. Spurs will grow into the game. Rochdale has done well to punish them in the first half but Spurs will get stronger as the game goes on.

Why didn't they put more names of their first team ? they don't play before monday 26/02.
My guess would be that after the hard set of fixtures they've had lately Poch decided it would be good to give the first team a rest and give players returning from injury/squad players a run out.

Pagh Wraith

They still have internationals all over the pitch. That's the ultimate vilification of Spurs then.
That's irrelevant. At full strength Spurs win that match 90% of the time. With that weakened line-up that number goes down to say 75-80%. Why do that? Play your first 11 and then take some players off when you're leading comfortably.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Reminds me of yesterday when we made several changes and people cried that we didn't look like a well drilled, sleek football team. Common sense gets thrown out of the window. Spurs will grow into the game. Rochdale has done well to punish them in the first half but Spurs will get stronger as the game goes on.

My guess would be that after the hard set of fixtures they've had lately Poch decided it would be good to give the first team a rest and give players returning from injury/squad players a run out.
That's very nice of him. He's a nice guy. I like him

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They've got players who needs minutes for various reasons (Winks, Llorente, Moura) as well as giving the likes of Kane and Alli a rest. Plus they're playing a side bottom on league 1.

Inigo Montoya

Players will be taking corners from the edge of the penalty area next without being penalised

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Spurs' team isn't even that weak. Trippier, Alderweireld, Rose, Wanyama, Moura and Son are all players who could be in Spurs' first XI.
Exactly, what it is however is a team of players lacking match sharpness. Trippier and Son withstanding the rest of them are either returning from injury or in Mouras case trying to get match sharpness after being benched all season at PSG. You look through that team and only 3 of them (Sissoko, Tripper and Son) have played football in the last month or two.

prath92

That's irrelevant. At full strength Spurs win that match 90% of the time. With that weakened line-up that number goes down to say 75-80%. Why do that? Play your first 11 and then take some players off when you're leading comfortably.
is that a lot weaker then? thats slightly weak and not worth the whole hullabaloo about the team selection

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We have several players returning for injury that need games. Players who will be in contention for a first team spot. The team should be more than strong enough to win.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The 'this team doesn't play together usually' rhetoric doesn't excuse crap individual performances. It also doesn't really work in this scenario as Spurs could have scored 3 or 4 if they didn't bottle it.

Inigo Montoya

We have several players returning for injury that need games. Players who will be in contention for a first team spot. The team should be more than strong enough to win.
You're spot on, there is no excuse. They will win though

paulscholes18

They've made 11 changes for this game.
Huge difference between Kane, Eriksen and Sissoko and Lorente but the difference between Tripper, Alderweireld, Rose, Winks, Wanyama, Lucas, Son and Aurier, Vertonghen, Davies, Dier, Dembele, Alli and Lamela is minimal

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Spurs' team isn't even that weak. Trippier, Alderweireld, Rose, Wanyama, Moura and Son are all players who could be in Spurs' first XI.
It's not weak but I think our problem is returning injuries and a team not familiar with each other, still think we will get at a draw.

Member 90887

They've got players who needs minutes for various reasons (Winks, Llorente, Moura) as well as giving the likes of Kane and Alli a rest. Plus they're playing a side bottom on league 1.

I get all that, but it's not a reason to put a front 3 that has never played together. i don't think that he'll be made to regret it today but it's this kind of approaches that will stop them from winning trophies. they could have the game wrapped up by half time and he could have taken his stars out at the 60th minute mark.

cyberman

Utd makes a shit ton of changes and wouldn't get the unfamiliarity excuses, Spurs are at the stage when they should be held to the same standard as well.

Pagh Wraith

All this "strong enough to win", "no excuses" etc. is a load of nonsense. All these random words have to be translated into a number, i.e. the win percentage. And as I said above it's obviously weaker than a starting line-up featuring all the regulars. What does that even mean, strong enough to win? I guess winning more than 50% of the time? In that case Spurs might as well play their U23 side if that is your criterion.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Well, he may regret it at the end of the game. they could have the game wrapped up by half time and he could have taken his stars out at the 60th minute mark.
Maybe they could have wrapped up, maybe not. But that's the risk he took. We'll see if it pays off in the 2nd half.

James Peril

The Harry Kane-team needs Harry Kane to save them, it’s usually how it goes. I wish we had Harry Kane :(

paulscholes18

Rochdale have fallen of the cliff since HT, stopped playing completely instead of doing what got them 1-0 up in the first place